Jesus' race: An irrelevant debate

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the race of Jesus is a rather irrelevant subject of debate about Him. Yet some believers seem to keep it up, because "we have to know what He looks like when He returns".

I think the same people seem to forget that as the Son of God (read: omnipotent) he could've taken any form that He wanted or planned. White, black, arab, jew... it doesn't matter. The earthly laws and limits of inheriting DNA don't necessarily need to apply to Him when He's above them.

And we already know from the Revelations that He indeed returns looking different, white haired. Or did John see simply see Him in a different form?

Some documents about him found in Egypt apparently support the idea of Him being able to shift shape, as well.

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When the Lord returns, He returns in His glory. We won't be concerned with His race. From the smallest to the greatest will know who He is.

Imo, race is a deception of satan that man has run with. We all come from the same mother and father. I believe we are all the same color, just different tones of that color. For example, the color blue can be very light or it can be very dark, so dark it looks black.

The Lord comes from the line or family of Judah. Whether he was darktoned or light toned doesn't matter. The bible doesn't say. Saying either or is just adding to the word of God. Which is strickly forbidden.

We should be rejoicing that we are brothers and sisters in Christ. Loving one another as Christ loved us.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the race of Jesus is a rather irrelevant subject of debate about Him. Yet some believers seem to keep it up, because "we have to know what He looks like when He returns".

I think the same people seem to forget that as the Son of God (read: omnipotent) he could've taken any form that He wanted or planned. White, black, arab, jew... it doesn't matter. The earthly laws and limits of inheriting DNA don't necessarily need to apply to Him when He's above them.

And we already know from the Revelations that He indeed returns looking different, white haired. Or did John see simply see Him in a different form?

Some documents about him found in Egypt apparently support the idea of Him being able to shift shape, as well.

From a theological standpoint, no, it doesn't really matter. The only time it really holds any weight is when evaluating Jesus historically. It's absurd to think he looked Swedish with blow-dried hair a white robe and a blue pageant sash or something given that he was born and raised in first century Palestine.

But you're right, needless argument over Christ's ethnicity is a waste of time.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
From a theological standpoint, no, it doesn't really matter. The only time it really holds any weight is when evaluating Jesus historically. It's absurd to think he looked Swedish with blow-dried hair a white robe and a blue pageant sash or something given that he was born and raised in first century Palestine.

But you're right, needless argument over Christ's ethnicity is a waste of time.

He was probably what some consider dark white, or Mediterranean looking (ie, olive skinned.)

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have never heard of anyone being offended about His race….I sure ain't. With that said what John saw in revelation was a vision, symbolic, he is not coming back with a literal sword in his mouth. As he went in a cloud, so shall he return. He was a Nazerene, which is a Jew…in fact I have been told it was the lowest form of a Jew, even other Jews seemed to look down on them. "Can anything good come out of Nazereth?" The Bible also says that when they saw Him there was no comeliness or beauty in Him to be desired. I fine it awesome that when God manifested Himself he came in such a way, Blessed be His name.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have never heard of anyone being offended about His race….I sure ain't. With that said what John saw in revelation was a vision, symbolic, he is not coming back with a literal sword in his mouth. As he went in a cloud, so shall he return. He was a Nazerene, which is a Jew…in fact I have been told it was the lowest form of a Jew, even other Jews seemed to look down on them. "Can anything good come out of Nazereth?" The Bible also says that when they saw Him there was no comeliness or beauty in Him to be desired. I fine it awesome that when God manifested Himself he came in such a way, Blessed be His name.

Why do you think people are so obsessed with what race Jesus was? While I thik it's an interesting topic (the whole topic of race and ethnicity is interesting), it really doesnt matter in the whole grand scheme of things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why do you think people are so obsessed with what race Jesus was? While I thik it's an interesting topic (the whole topic of race and ethnicity is interesting), it really doesnt matter in the whole grand scheme of things.

I really don't know, and didn't know anyone was ever obsessed with it. Sure don't know of anyone personally so couldn't say.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
According to the Old Testament, jews or people coming from jews, were originally very rich in the variety of skin tones.

Well, they actually still are today.

Do you have a problem capitalizing Jews?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is unfortunate that some focus on race to differentiate between people as it can lead to the rating of one race over another. As we all know that has led to some of the worst genocidal disasters in human history. People are all equal in God's eyes and Jesus gave his life for all people. Jesus, when on earth, was of the divine race.

Upvote 0

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a problem capitalizing Jews?
Err, no. It's just that nationalities, languages, months or holidays aren't capitalized in my own language, and there are no exceptions. I don't always remember to do it in English. I'll fix that in a snappy.....

I do have a respect for them, because that's what God would wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
According to the Old Testament, Jews or people coming from Jews, were originally very rich in the variety of skin tones.

Well, they actually still are today.

That's not true. Jews dont have dark skin. Some middle eastern ethnicities (Turks, North African berbers, etc) are considered Caucasians or white, because they could pass for European, but they are olive skinned like Greeks or Italians. Jews today are light skinned white, like people from more northern parts of Europe.

Most Jews today are very light skinned and dont even look middle eastern. They look like Germans or English people. Scarlet Johannsan is an example of that. Arabs, especially people who live in the countries on the arabian penninsula, are actually mixed race due to the Islamic slave trade and dont look white, but even the Caucasian middle eastern people are darker than most Jews today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's not true. Jews dont have dark skin. Some middle eastern ethnicities (Turks, North African berbers, etc) are considered Caucasians or white, because they could pass for European, but they are olive skinned like Greeks or Italians. Jews today are light skinned white, like people from more northern parts of Europe.

Most Jews today are very light skinned and dont even look middle eastern. They look like Germans or English people. Scarlet Johannsan is an example of that. Arabs, especially people who live in the countries on the arabian penninsula, are actually mixed race due to the Islamic slave trade and dont look white, but even the Caucasian middle eastern people are darker than most Jews today.

You had better not tell this to Coptic Christians, many of whom have very dark skin. One of the oldest groups of Jews in history is in Ethiopia. Although you're not intending to be racist, your comments aren't based in fact. A Jew is a believer in Judaism; it has nothing to do with skin color or any other physical feature.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You had better not tell this to Coptic Christians, many of whom have very dark skin. One of the oldest groups of Jews in history is in Ethiopia. Although you're not intending to be racist, your comments aren't based in fact. A Jew is a believer in Judaism; it has nothing to do with skin color or any other physical feature.

This is confusing me. I thought Judaism was an ethnicity and not a religion. I know some Jewish people who arent even religious, but they still consider themselves Jewish. And if Jewish is just a religion, why dont the Jewish people I know identify themselves by an ethnicity other than Jewish? I've never heard a Jewish person say "im english, im french". That proves that Jewish is an ethnicity.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is confusing me. I thought Judaism was an ethnicity and not a religion. I know some Jewish people who arent even religious, but they still consider themselves Jewish. And if Jewish is just a religion, why dont the Jewish people I know identify themselves by an ethnicity other than Jewish? I've never heard a Jewish person say "im english, im french". That proves that Jewish is an ethnicity.

It is a bit confusing, but the vast majority, including most Jews, is that its not a ethnicity, but a religion. Its more like a "family". Anyone of any race can convert to it. Just try a yahoo search out there and see what pops up.

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well first, Jesus was Jewish according to the Bible and according to the prophecies about Him this was important. Secondly, everyone will know who He is simply by the blast of the trumpet and the brightness of His coming. Thirdly, people who fight to claim Jesus was another race are ignorant of two things: The scriptures, and the fact that race plays no part in the work of God.

So it is both irrelevant and relevant at the same time.

When I see paintings of Jesus as other races than Jewish I tend to think of it more as the artist saying that Jesus identifies with them on every level.

Upvote 0