Jesus Christ Superstar--beautiful or blasphemous?

romaneagle13

Oct 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since this is a Christian board, I thought I try and find out what people's thoughts are on Andrew Lloyd Webber's rock opera treatment of the "greatest story ever told".

It portrays Jesus as very human and not very divine. He has a powerfully emotional solo called "Gethsemane", in which he questions the idea of dying on the cross. In the end, he agrees to do his Father's will, but ends the song with the challenge, "Take me now before I change my mind!" I agree it's not terribly biblical, but it is powerful and shows Christ in his fear and pain. He asks the same question any of us would ask if we were in that position, "Why, Lord, why?"

The show also centers not around Jesus, but rather his betrayer. This is the "Gospel according to Judas". The whole thing is taken from Judas' point of view and sees into his feelings, portraying him--like Jesus--as very human.

Mary Magdalene is also a figure of some controversy. Her big song, "I don't know how to love him", indicates some sort of wish on her part for a relationship with Jesus. It's never really defined though as a hope for a romantic realtionship or a platonic one. I personally never found her offensive.

I personally love this show, but I have a Pentacostal friend who hates it, calling it blasphemy. What do you all think?

Penguin50388

Seeker
Mar 26, 2004
✟11,469.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I haven't seen the show yet, but it looks like I might be in it or doing tech for it soon (one of the theatres around here are going to do it). In fact, I don't really know much about the show except what I'm about to say.

If I remember right the show was released a little after Godspell was. Godspell portrayed Jesus as a great pal and everything but didn't show much of the side of him that was tempted or the side that was wrestling with himself in the garden. From what I remember from my talks with one of my directors, Jesus Christ Superstar was written as a response to Godspell showing the more human side of him.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
romaneagle13 said:
Since this is a Christian board, I thought I try and find out what people's thoughts are on Andrew Lloyd Webber's rock opera treatment of the "greatest story ever told".

It portrays Jesus as very human and not very divine. He has a powerfully emotional solo called "Gethsemane", in which he questions the idea of dying on the cross. In the end, he agrees to do his Father's will, but ends the song with the challenge, "Take me now before I change my mind!" I agree it's not terribly biblical, but it is powerful and shows Christ in his fear and pain. He asks the same question any of us would ask if we were in that position, "Why, Lord, why?"

The show also centers not around Jesus, but rather his betrayer. This is the "Gospel according to Judas". The whole thing is taken from Judas' point of view and sees into his feelings, portraying him--like Jesus--as very human.

Mary Magdalene is also a figure of some controversy. Her big song, "I don't know how to love him", indicates some sort of wish on her part for a relationship with Jesus. It's never really defined though as a hope for a romantic realtionship or a platonic one. I personally never found her offensive.

I personally love this show, but I have a Pentacostal friend who hates it, calling it blasphemy. What do you all think?

I don't know how it could be blasphemous, while I don't know what Webber and Rice believe personally it never denies Jesus as Christ. I was a little kid when I saw the play in the early 70's (I think I was 5.. so it must have been released in '71?) While my parents definitely allowed plenty of open communication in the way we learned our faith they didn't indulge in anything that indicated that Christ was anything BUT Christ.

Like you I never saw the I Don't Know How to Love Him song as definitely romantic or platonic... looking at it as an adult when I saw the remake a few years ago I saw it as the confused longing of a woman who never knew any other way to relate to men other than in a sexual way. She wouldn't know how to love him,... she's not sure how he loves her.... how does a man love her and not be looking for sexual satisfaction? Wouldn't that be confusion MANY women would face if they were seen in their community as a prostitute? If the only way anyone had ever cared for them had been as a tool for sexual gratification?

There are things that make people uncomfortable... and seeing more of human Christ than the Savior Christ is probably one of them.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't ever seen "Jesus Christ Superstar" but I've seen "Godspell." I would classify both of these in the genre of docudrama. There is quite a bit of poetic license in the script and lyrics, I'm sure.

I don't even know if the playwrights and composers of these two works are even Christian.

Steven Schwartz, a gifted lyricist and composer, is Jewish. His Judaism inspired him to write the music for "The Prince of Egypt" and to use his clout in Hollywood to get it produced. He collaborated with Leonard Bernstein on a Mass.

Steven Schwartz is one of my favorite composers. His lyrics are thought-provoking, insightful, and witty. His insights into the life of Jesus in "Godspell" probably gave all of us a different perspective of Jesus, but, as a non-Christian, I'm sure his perspective was different from what a Christian's would be.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
romaneagle13 said:
It portrays Jesus as very human and not very divine. He has a powerfully emotional solo called "Gethsemane", in which he questions the idea of dying on the cross.

I don't remember him questioning it, just asking if there was another way. I believe that this is biblical. In that song the actor portraying Christ says "I will drink your cup of poison" or some similar line which is biblical as well, I think.

In the end, he agrees to do his Father's will, but ends the song with the challenge, "Take me now before I change my mind!" I agree it's not terribly biblical, but it is powerful and shows Christ in his fear and pain. He asks the same question any of us would ask if we were in that position, "Why, Lord, why?"

Can't say I remember the line 'why Lord, why?.' I'm not sure it was in there. While I agree that the line "take me now before I change my mind" is not accurate, the entire Gethsemane scene was just to capture the anguish which he must (might) have felt at the time. It's purely a work of art.

And Judas was only human. What's the problem?

I love Jesus too. Is this blasphemy?

Not blasphemy, IMO. I think too many people these days gather their opinions from what their pastors tell them rather than personal experience.

Upvote 0

crawforb

Sep 3, 2005
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Andrew Lloyd is Anglican, and as far as i am aware, he is a devout Christian. Look at his body of work and you will see biblical themes throughout. Two of his plays are taken right FROM the Bible.

I agree that JCS does not emphasize the diety of Christ, but it does not deny it.

And I think we benefit from remembering that Jesus was also a human, with all the same struggles and temptations.

Upvote 0

Kilted Stranger

I'm a Nut Cracker
Feb 20, 2004
Scotland
✟15,338.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I think JCS is a wonderful peice of Theatre. But thats all. You cant take whats there as Biblical fact. Though the majority is accurate. :)

I think its a great Idea dooing it from Judas point of veiw. It shows an entirely different side to the Gospel. How it may have looked to the Pharisees and Sagisees.

Very Entertaining :D

Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
crawforb said:
Andrew Lloyd is Anglican, and as far as i am aware, he is a devout Christian. Look at his body of work and you will see biblical themes throughout. Two of his plays are taken right FROM the Bible.

I agree that JCS does not emphasize the diety of Christ, but it does not deny it.

And I think we benefit from remembering that Jesus was also a human, with all the same struggles and temptations.

Actually, ALW is the son of an Anglican minister. He has been quoted in the past as saying he is agnostic. Maybe he has changed his world view, but I do find it fascinating that he is drawn to Christian themes...

-Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
-Jesus Christ Superstar
-Requiem
-Whistle Down the Wind

BTW, I think it's all in how you approach "Superstar." I've seen it done powerfully, and come away with a deeper understanding of Jesus and who He was, and who others thought He was. I've also seen it done very badly, in which I was so offended, I almost got up and walked out. It's all in the hands of the director and actors, IMHO!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HawaiianTropicalDude

Leaning on Him all the way
Jul 19, 2005
NYC
✟4,284.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree with most of you on different levels.I saw the film not a broadway production but the thread is here so I'm giving my opinion. I liked the music alot and I liked the way ted neely looked.Was it relaistic,of course not.the marketplace had modern items,but the point that was being made to me was clear. My voice instructor and I talked about ALW and this film.it was a film for the times.the 1970's. Not today.It appealed to you 70's teens and young adults. I still liked it and probably will watch it again someday. The end scene was odd but I thought ok,his point is it's all over but where are my friends?
isn't that what Jesus is thinking right now? I think it is.It's all over but who will remember what I sacrificed and where are you? It made me want to return to church but as of yet-I have not found any church here for me. Ok.thanks for reading :)

Upvote 0

cisco

Apr 17, 2004
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At first it may seem to be insulting but when you really pay attention then you would realize how it is beautiful and honorable in a way. Listen to the words of the songs in that movie and tell me what makes it blasphemous?

romaneagle13 said:
S

No. This was just an example, it was a way to show the viewers the passion Jesus was going through; it was trying to portray that the reason for it all was going beyond anything ever written. I certainly believe that Jesus (God himself) thought and questioned deep down -during that time- on why he and the father was going to allow this to happen. First, he was going to be beaten, insulted and killed by the inferior. So, yes, it was a show of the struggle of keeping the humbleness.

"Understand what Power is... understand what glory is" - that part alone was an answer to why Jesus didn't pose as the warrior like messiah the jews all hoped for at first.

Nothing is wrong about that.

Regardless of her emotions towards Jesus, it still wasn't wrong. We never know, maybe Mary did have some huge affection towards Jesus because she probably never 100% believed that he was the One who existed before everything, to her, he was just a man. A Man that changed her life and accepted her as a human unlike the others she has come acrossed. Showing what mary felt towards him doesn't show any religion bashing or any support on the controversy.

Looks are deceiving. Tell him to listen to the music and try to understand the message in it.

Upvote 0

pineapplelesson

Apr 10, 2006
✟8,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Greens
It may be because I am a huge theatrical geek... I've been inolved in musical theatre since I was old enough to stand on my own. But I LOVE Jesus Christ, Superstar. I believe it is amazingly well done, written, and is beautiful.

The way I look at it is that it was able to reveal the struggles of Jesus to those who aren't necessarily Christian in a way that makes them curious about Him, and able to enjoy the story.

If we begin to say that "Jesus Christ, Superstar" is blasphemy, then I suppose "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" is completely out of context with the bible, right? (I've been in several productions of Joseph, and it's my absolute favorite...) Does this make me a bad Christian? No, it just means I am able to enjoy creativity, and I dont overanalyze things.

If I was really that determined to prove something blasphemous, I'd sit in on several church services around my city, and insist several pastors be fired for their 'blasphemous' sermons.

I believe people should be able to realize that musicals such as Jesus Christ Superstar, and Joseph... aren't taken directly word-for-word out of the Bible.

If we insist they are blasphemous, our world is going to turn into the town from Footloose, burning books and such! ;)

..Nena..

Upvote 0

romaneagle13

Oct 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for so many of your responses. I agree with many of you. JCS is a great piece to get people talking and thinking about Jesus. I guess what my pentecostal friend has issues with is that she doesn't think that Jesus should be portrayed in a theater show. She thinks it's tawdry and brings him down. She feels he's too holy for that and that doing a musical about him is somehow irreverant. But she didn't think that the movie "Passion of the Christ" was irreverant. Maybe it was because it wasn't set to music. I don't know. She really didn't like Herod's song, mocking Christ. She took offense at that.

I thought the show was wonderful and I love Lloyd Webber's other works. In fact I am taking my niece and husband to see "Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat" in two days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

superdave

are you super-natural?
May 14, 2002
West Texas
Visit site
✟1,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not sure if I posted in this thread or not. But, I am going to do it again, If I did... hahaha...

"Jesus Christ Superstar" holds a very special place in my heart as a preformer. I enjoy the score tremendously. I think it has high energy and definitely is one, if not the best score that ALW ever composed. There is a youthful exuberance in it--that somehow left Andrew Lloyd Webber's music after him and Rice stopped collabrating. As for the several casts, I have had the joy to listen to. (I have never seen the show live, but have the both movie productions of the show.) It seems to redefine itself with every cast. But Neely and Anderson really took the show to a whole other level in the 1973 Film Production.

I see the show as entertainment, not as a religious peice. I do not think its blasphemous, should it be part of the church canon of religious plays?- no, definitely not.

I love Superstar--and my ultimate dream role is to play Judas Iscariot--it's a role I have been practicing for--well, since I have had an interest in theatre.

Upvote 0

Sammydiggins

Jun 30, 2006
✟7,664.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus Christ Superstar is probably my favorite movie. I think it's beautiful. It's a very moving movie to me. To actually search into the human side of Yeshua is really great. My favorite song in the movie (I haven't watched it live) is Gethesemane, it's really emotional and moving. As for it being centered around Judas, I see no problem with that. We kind of get a glimpse as to why Judas may have betrayed Yeshua. Judas feared Yeshua would lead to a revolt and the destruction of the Jewish people. When he betrayed Yeshua he also had no idea that they intended to kill him. I don't know if this is true but it points this out to be a possible theory. As for King Herod's mockery of Yeshua in the movie being blasphemous...people mocked him in the Bible as well, but no one would dare say reading those verses would be blasphemous...stating that something happened is in no way blasphemy.

Upvote 0