✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey everyone.

As you know, the Bible tells us to test all spirits. I'm thinking about getting into Jason Upton at the recommendation of a friend, though I need to test the waters a bit. There's a few things I need either dispelled, exposed, corrected, whatever the case may be.

I guess the first concern is when someone mentioned the idea of angels singing on the song "Fly." I've seen a YouTube video, and it gave me chills listening to it, but I've fallen for stuff before. I'm trying to find a statement by Jason himself on it. Do you know anything about this? Is there reason to believe it's authentic? If I could get his own words that would be neat.

His music is supposedly Spirit-led. Is there any reason to believe it to be so, or any reason to believe otherwise?

Speaking of Spirit-led, this is where I've become a bit edgy after witnessing the rise and fall of the Lakeland "Revival," and it's taught me that every experience isn't necessarily a God one. Is there anything you could tell me about his theology or his beliefs? Is he very strongly rooted in the Bible, or is he into any non-Biblical practices that perhaps I should know about?

In case anyone is offended or thinks I'm heresy hunting, perhaps I should disclose my motivation. A friend I just made told me about the concept about prophetic singing, prophetic worship, and it's funny earlier that very day I decided I really wanted to pursue a deep and intimate relationship with God. I took a step out of my comfort zone, did a thing or two I didn't really feel like, and then this. I know there's a deeper way to know God and to serve Him, and I want it. If you guys know anything that could help me in this study, that would be great. And if I am sincerely wrong in something I'm doing here, I'm open to correction.

If you can, shoot up a short prayer on my behalf so that I know exactly what to do. Thank you in advance.

oneshot012

Oct 15, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The angel issue on Fly I haven't heard Jason speak about it but you can on youtube find a video where the guitarist for Jason Upton talks about it.

His music as spirit led. His older stuff is a little more "song of the lord" but his newer stuff is more like singing his heart. He really just sings his heart at the end of the day. So if that is Spirit led than so be it. I just know it is moving.

He went to Regent Divinity school and has his head on quite straight as far as theology. Jason was adopted so for him the heart of the Father is huge. It is probably his biggest emphasis. Jason isn't afraid to push the spiritual edges while being theological provoking at the same time. I have gone to hear him sing and minister numerous times and being a Divinity student myself I appreciate his music and his speaking and approach to the scriptures. Honestly he is quite challenging.

Non-Biblical practices, I am sure we all have them. But is it about being "biblical". What does that mean? Not to take this conversation somewhere else but I am always bothered by that phrase. Anyhow, like I said I think he has his head on straight.

Hope this helps. Peace.

Upvote 0

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well more or less by non-Biblical I meant anti-Biblical, because by now I've seen worship get very fleshy and non-Godly in some instances. I understand we all have a "non-Biblical" way of doing something, and it's not really the same thing as "anti-Biblical." If the claims of worship experiences are as amazing as I hear (or at least how I perceive it), I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't somehow putting my spirit in danger by engaging worship the way he does. That's what I think I'm mostly looking for; a deeper understanding of God through worship, as my friend told me about.

Though if it makes you feel better, I've done a bit of research, also discovered the thing about his Masters of Divinity at Regent, and some of his other writings, and I think I have enough to draw my conclusion.

I did download some of his music on Ruckus, and it truly is different. In a most definitely good way.

Upvote 0
C

Child-of-Zion

Jason Upton is an incredible man of God. His worship ministry has blessed me numerous times. I was at the OneThing conference in Kansas City last December and he was one of the worship leaders. His heart is indeed about revealing the heart of the Father to fellow believers. He has a true revelation of the Father's affection and love for us; something sorely needed in the body of Messiah today due to a growing epidemic of fatherlessness in homes where the father is physically absent, spiritually absent, emotionally absent, or a mixture of these three.

About those angels singing on 'Fly', Jason said that after that worship session a little boy came up to him and said he saw two angels singing on the stage. One of them was next to Jason. At first he didn't believe it but later he realized that the Lord revealed these things to just a child for a reason, because children usually don't doubt what they are told. He was the only one with a mic but there are 3 voices on that song if you listen for them. It gives me the chills every time I listen to it.

There's another song on that same album (titled 'Remember') in which a tornado was headed for the building wherever he was leading worship. Here's what Jason has to say about it;
Remember is a compilation of two nights of ministry. The first night was recorded in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The tornado that devastated Oklahoma City was headed right for us the night we were scheduled to begin our ministry at a local church. At first the church leadership wanted to send everyone to a protected area. I suggested, maybe we could sneak a little worship song in before we head to shelter. They agreed and we began to sing the song, They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love. When we got into the middle of the song I was led to begin speaking directly to that tornado. I did not want to do this because I could not get past the thought of how stupid I would look speaking against this tornado and then, when the song was over, all of us having to run for our lives to shelter. I was afraid that my words - might just be words -absent the power of God to stop that tornado. But while thinking this very thought I found myself already speaking - it was too late to stop. So it surprised me more than anyone else to later learn that, immediately as we started praying, the tornado system mysteriously broke apart. (How weak my faith is!) God literally stopped a tornado that night as we played and prayed. I hope I never forget it. Yes God can stop a natural tornado. But much more importantly, if we would ask, God will stop the spiritual tornadoes that divide us and render us such an anemic force on the earth. My prayer is that we will come to the water, the very love of the Father, and quickly shed the independence that so weakens us. Only then will we be able to take on the radical dependence of a child that was the strength of the early Christians.

He's pretty solid!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.