Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The radio station I listen to everyday has a feature in the afternoon where they tell you about when the sun will go down that day and for now this includes telling us about how many more seconds of sunlight we will have.

I found it interesting that a few days ago they were speaking of Dec 21st as being the shortest and darkest day of the year. After this we started to gain sunlight by the seconds. But the sun did not come up earlier, but instead it stayed up longer.

Yesterday the sun rose the latest of the year for those in the US mainland.

The December solstice always brings the shortest day. However, the latest sunrises do not coincide with the day of least sunlight.

That doesn't start happening until today, January 6th.

I thought at the time that the date sounded familiar. Not growing up in what I call the Catholic church and her offspring, I was not aware of the 'holiday' called Epiphany. I'd heard of it but was never in attendance of a service that celebrated it. It was interesting to find out that this is the day that a majority in the Church at large celebrates this day as the 'revelation of God the Son as a human being in Jesus Christ.' and "the manifestation to the Gentiles".

Was it this astrological reason that they picked this date? I don't see how they could know when the 'Magi' visited, a close reading of this story shows that Yeshua was a young child at the time and not a babe.

I also do not understand the reasoning behind this being the manifestation to the Gentiles. His ministry to the Jews did not begin until he was 30 years old. How does that mesh with to the Jew first?

Back to Today, January 6th. This is called also the Birthday of the Invincible Sun.

Emperor Aurelian established December 25 as the birthday of the "Invincible Sun" in the third century as part of the Roman Winter Solstice celebrations. Shortly thereafter, in 273, the Christian church selected this day to represent the birthday of Jesus, and by 336, this Roman solar feast day was Christianized. January 6, celebrated as Epiphany in Christendom and linked with the visit of the Magi, was originally an Egyptian date for the Winter Solstice.

Due to our eccentric orbit, Earth travels fastest in January and slowest in July. Clock time gets a bit out of synch with sun time – by about the tune of 1/2 minute per day for several weeks around the December solstice.Earth comes closest to the sun in early January.

For us at middle latitudes in the northern hemisphere, the earliest sunsets come in early December.

The shortest day comes on the solstice around December 21,

but the latest sunrises come in early January.

So January 6th the sun starts to come up earlier and thus to add to the seconds of the sunset.

Winter Solstice means to 'stand still' or Sun stood still. Interesting we see this in the book of Joshua.

Perhaps the sun did not only stay up as interpreted here, but this was actually a reference to the time of year it happened?

It also says that there were large hailstones that killed more than the sword.

In December from the 23 to the 25th the sun actually seems to be standing still, the days do not change. This can happen on different days depending on the earths rotation. For example this year in my neck of the woods it went like this:

The first is the date, then the time of sunrise, then sunset and Noon.

Dec 24, 20107:20 AM4:40 PM9h 19m 53s+ 08s12:00 Noon

Dec 25, 20107:21 AM4:41 PM9h 20m 06s+ 12s12:01 PM

Dec 26, 20107:21 AM4:41 PM9h 20m 22s+ 16s12:01 PM

Dec 27, 20107:21 AM4:42 PM9h 20m 43s+ 20s12:02 PM

Dec 28, 20107:22 AM4:43 PM9h 21m 08s+ 24s12:02 PM

As you can see Dec 25th, 26th and 27th the sun stood still and rose at the same exact time. The sunset only started to increase at the end of these three days. These were known as the darkest days.

(I understand that the Coptic Church is celebrating Christmas today and tomorrow.)

This date is also used to commemorate his baptism. However that doesn't jive with what Luke says that he was 'about 30 years old' meaning almost but not quite. But that wouldn't make sense because he supposedly was born on Dec 25th.

This is an interesting bit on the sun related to the winter solstice.

Now you can better understand that each year, early society awaited the approach of Dec. 22, with foreboding. Dec. 22, the day of the Winter Solstice (definition is to stand still) was a day of reckoning for them. Because it seemed to them, as they observed and tracked the North to South movement of the Sun, that on this day DEC 22, the sun entered its grave.

The North to South progression of the Sun can be likened to a swinging pendulum. You know that when a pendulum reaches its solstice (the point where it swings back - its turning point), that for a slight imperceptible moment, it actually stands still. But in terms of our vast solar system, the point of solstice is not imperceptible. It lasts for days, three days to be exact. For three days, after the sun reaches its solstice, it appears to stand still. This period of pause, between the Suns descent and ASCENT, wrought paralyzing dread and fear into the hearts and minds of the early pre-Christians.

Over time, they established rituals and traditions concerning this period (DEC 22 to DEC 25). They passed the word through oral tradition, and eventually, after their societies established writing, wrote it down, concerning their Sun God: the sun shall lay in a grave (point of solstice) for 3 days. But after 3 days the sun shall rise, be resurrected, (according to Webster’s Dictionary, the word resurrect is linked to the word resurge, which means "To Rise Again", to revive), and ascend toward heaven, (progressively ascend northward to the position of the summer Sun). And when the sun completes its ascent upward toward the point of its summer solstice, it will comfort us and bless us with warm weather and long days and will save us (be a savior) from the ravages of winter. So, this, that I have explained to you here, is the ORIGINAL, authentic, true CONCEPT of the resurrection. As the revelation of God would grow among Mankind, men could see how the God of the Universe has spoken such to them in the Cosmos.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Ok.. NASA has got involved in astrology and determined that there are 13 signs. Here is their updated astrological signs and their dates ...

Capricorn: Jan 20 – Feb 16

Aquarius: Feb 16 – March 11

Pisces: March 11 – April 18

Aries: April 18 – May 13

Taurus: May 13 – June 21

Gemini: June 21 – July 20

(CREDIT: Astrology.com)

Cancer: July 20 – Aug 10

Leo: Aug 10 – Sept 16

Virgo: Sept 16 – Oct 30

Libra: Oct 30 – Nov 23

Scorpio: Nov 23 – Nov 29

Ophiuchus: Nov 29 – Dec 17

Sagittarius: Dec 17 – Jan 20

http://kdvr.com/2016/09/22/your-horoscope-may-have-just-changed-nasa-reveals-13th-zodiac-sign/

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is The 13th Zodiac Sign Real? Ophiuchus Is Hotly Contested

Ophiuchus is real constellation of stars that exists along the same pathway as the zodiac.

Its name is from the Greek Ὀφιοῦχος "serpent-bearer", and it is commonly represented as a man grasping the snake that is represented by the constellation Serpens.

Hmm, so now we have a new 13th added to twelve?

And the place of it is, Nov 29 – Dec 17? (18 days length)

And so does this mean anything? Could this be the time the anti Christ was born and will be raised up?

heavenss.jpg

In mythology, Ophiucus is identified with the healer Asclepius, the son of Apollo, who was able to bring the dead back to life. Realizing his power, Hades convinced Zeus to kill Asclepius with a lightning bolt, and he was placed into the stars as a constellation after his death.
The constellation, Ophiuchus, has been known since ancient times, and is better known as Serpentarius, the Serpent Holder. It is included in the list of 48 constellations described by Ptolemy. Ophiuchus is depicted as a man handling a serpent; his body dividing the large snake into two parts, giving way to the symbol used today as an Asclepius – the medical staff. Astrologers have not included Ophiuchus in the wheel of Astrological signs because the Sun spends only about nineteen days in this 13th sign of the Mazzaroth. Not that there wasn’t a 13th sign in the Heavens, but as far as Astrologers were concerned, the Sun traveled from the constellation ‘Scorpius’ and then proceeded directly into the sign of Sagittarius. In reality, this was not the case. The Sun, for 19 days of the year, travels through the star constellation ‘Ophiuchus’ before entering Sagittarius from Scorpius – see chart below. thus The sign of Ophiuchus is patterned after the original ‘Serpent Holder’, Enki, a Sumerian god.

Read more here to see how this sign is related to Joseph ben Jacob,

Could that mean that the anti Christ will appear like Joseph was, after all Joseph is said to be a fore runner of Yeshua in how he went down to the Gentiles to save his people.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is an interesting development, and thank you for adding to the puzzle, which may truly develop into an answer. This is shortly after the US election and before the next President gets sworn in. ...hmmm

Yes, great thought! :oldthumbsup: I didn't even think about that, I was more concentrating on the actual symbol, that got my attention and you should really read that whole article if you didn't already, it contained some very interesting prospectives about the connection of the earthly things to the sky. ;)

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
The radio station I listen to everyday has a feature in the afternoon where they tell you about when the sun will go down that day and for now this includes telling us about how many more seconds of sunlight we will have.

I found it interesting that a few days ago they were speaking of Dec 21st as being the shortest and darkest day of the year. After this we started to gain sunlight by the seconds. But the sun did not come up earlier, but instead it stayed up longer.

Yesterday the sun rose the latest of the year for those in the US mainland.

The December solstice always brings the shortest day. However, the latest sunrises do not coincide with the day of least sunlight.

That doesn't start happening until today, January 6th.

I thought at the time that the date sounded familiar. Not growing up in what I call the Catholic church and her offspring, I was not aware of the 'holiday' called Epiphany. I'd heard of it but was never in attendance of a service that celebrated it. It was interesting to find out that this is the day that a majority in the Church at large celebrates this day as the 'revelation of God the Son as a human being in Jesus Christ.' and "the manifestation to the Gentiles".

Was it this astrological reason that they picked this date? I don't see how they could know when the 'Magi' visited, a close reading of this story shows that Yeshua was a young child at the time and not a babe.

I also do not understand the reasoning behind this being the manifestation to the Gentiles. His ministry to the Jews did not begin until he was 30 years old. How does that mesh with to the Jew first?

Back to Today, January 6th. This is called also the Birthday of the Invincible Sun.

Emperor Aurelian established December 25 as the birthday of the "Invincible Sun" in the third century as part of the Roman Winter Solstice celebrations. Shortly thereafter, in 273, the Christian church selected this day to represent the birthday of Jesus, and by 336, this Roman solar feast day was Christianized. January 6, celebrated as Epiphany in Christendom and linked with the visit of the Magi, was originally an Egyptian date for the Winter Solstice.

Due to our eccentric orbit, Earth travels fastest in January and slowest in July. Clock time gets a bit out of synch with sun time – by about the tune of 1/2 minute per day for several weeks around the December solstice.Earth comes closest to the sun in early January.

For us at middle latitudes in the northern hemisphere, the earliest sunsets come in early December.

The shortest day comes on the solstice around December 21,

but the latest sunrises come in early January.

So January 6th the sun starts to come up earlier and thus to add to the seconds of the sunset.

Winter Solstice means to 'stand still' or Sun stood still. Interesting we see this in the book of Joshua.

Perhaps the sun did not only stay up as interpreted here, but this was actually a reference to the time of year it happened?

It also says that there were large hailstones that killed more than the sword.

In December from the 23 to the 25th the sun actually seems to be standing still, the days do not change. This can happen on different days depending on the earths rotation. For example this year in my neck of the woods it went like this:

The first is the date, then the time of sunrise, then sunset and Noon.

Dec 24, 20107:20 AM4:40 PM9h 19m 53s+ 08s12:00 Noon

Dec 25, 20107:21 AM4:41 PM9h 20m 06s+ 12s12:01 PM

Dec 26, 20107:21 AM4:41 PM9h 20m 22s+ 16s12:01 PM

Dec 27, 20107:21 AM4:42 PM9h 20m 43s+ 20s12:02 PM

Dec 28, 20107:22 AM4:43 PM9h 21m 08s+ 24s12:02 PM

As you can see Dec 25th, 26th and 27th the sun stood still and rose at the same exact time. The sunset only started to increase at the end of these three days. These were known as the darkest days.

(I understand that the Coptic Church is celebrating Christmas today and tomorrow.)

This date is also used to commemorate his baptism. However that doesn't jive with what Luke says that he was 'about 30 years old' meaning almost but not quite. But that wouldn't make sense because he supposedly was born on Dec 25th.

This is an interesting bit on the sun related to the winter solstice.

The sun also stands still at the summer solstice in June.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I would not equate the winter solstice with Joshua 10. The sun stood still for hours on only one day in Joshua's account. The sun never stands still in any given day during the winter solstice. It only appears to be in the same location on consecutive days. I also doubt that war would be fought in the winter. Spring is usually when kings go out to war (2 Samuel 11:1 NASB).

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would not equate the winter solstice with Joshua 10. The sun stood still for hours on only one day in Joshua's account. The sun never stands still in any given day during the winter solstice. It only appears to be in the same location on consecutive days. I also doubt that war would be fought in the winter. Spring is usually when kings go out to war (2 Samuel 11:1 NASB).
Ok, I see you wanted to reply to the OP which is over 5 years old ;)

All I can say about that right now is this:

what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying,
I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars:
see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8All these are the beginning of sorrows.......................

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
17Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The sun never stands still in any given day during the winter solstice. It only appears to be in the same location on consecutive days.

It appears not to be the case. This is a chart that I've highlighted portions of from the US Naval Observatory

Daylight hours.jpg

It's interesting that from the 8th of December to the 3rd of January there are many days which the sun is up the same amount of time as another consecutive day. The MOST interesting time is between the 15th and 26th, where there are 10 TEN DAYS that the sun is up for exactly the same time 9:27.

This chart BTW is from DC outside Maryland USA

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Ophiuchus is depicted as a man handling a serpent; his body dividing the large snake into two parts, giving way to the symbol used today as an Asclepius – the medical staff.

That reminds me of the study of the words "pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical" which are derived from the Greek word, pharmakeia (Strong's G5331). This word is found in the Bible in the following passages of scripture.

Gal 5:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery (pharmakeia), enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Rev 18:23 and the light of a lamp will not shine in you (the great city Babylon) any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants were the great men of the earth, because all the nations (ethnos) were deceived by your sorcery (pharmakeia).

Revelation is stating that pharmakeia is tool for the capture.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It appears not to be the case. This is a chart that I've highlighted portions of from the US Naval Observatory . . .
The chart does not show the sun standing still on a particular day. For example, the chart does not show the sun directly overhead at noon and directly overhead at 6:00 PM. Being up the same amount of time as another day is not what happened in Joshua 10.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, I see you wanted to reply to the OP which is over 5 years old ;)
Wow. I didn't notice when it was posted.

All I can say about that right now is this:

what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying,
I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars:
see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8All these are the beginning of sorrows.......................

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
17Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.​
This would refer to a future war in which the season does not matter because it involves modern warfare. That was not the case in Joshua where a winter war would be a tremendous hardship on any army.

Upvote 0