Watered Gardens Homeless Shelter 531 S. Kentucky A
✟7,991.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Other than the song 'Flood' by Jars of Clay, some Skillet, and early Evanescence (questionably Christian there), I've never been able to really get into Contemporary Christian music. I love a lot of secular rock, though. Evanescence (obviously), Within Temptation, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin are probably my favourite bands.

Part of it may just be that I'm not really into religious stuff in general, but I think that the main cause is that what all they play on the radio is just too SOFT. (radio is my main source for music. I'm old-fashioned there, I guess) It is all Pop. Other than Skillet (rarely on the radio, if ever), where is the Christian Rock??

If there were an actual Christian ROCK station on the radio, I might give it a listen and maybe get into it, but the CCM stations in my area are all of the all-Pop Contemp. Christian variety.

I'm know I can't be the only one who feels like this!

BrickUponBrick

One Among The Fence
May 31, 2011
Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dude, I'm with you. I couldn't really get into praise and worship type stuff. I was into Christian metalcore/hardcore stuff, but I'm getting out of that now. I'd like some more straightforward metal. There's quite a bit of those bands. And some of the guys in Megadeth are Christian now.
And to be honest, I'm really into indie and folk rock, like Mumford & Sons.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟832,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. There is nothing morally wrong with Contemporary Christian, that I can see, but I prefer good old-fashioned Southern Gospel.

Speaking of rockers who are Christian, the one that comes to my mind is Alice Cooper. Normally I prefer country, for the same reasons I prefer Southern Gospel, but I do enjoy his music.

Upvote 0

Brianlear

Living life in the pacific NW
Mar 31, 2012
✟9,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So true, if you turn on the modern christian radio stations these days, you will hear nothing but over-produced cookie cutter songs with little substance. It's because they play only whats new, not what is good. Basically the only contemporary christian artist I listen to is Phil and Evan wickham--those guys write great songs and have good bands. Also, I've been listening to a girl named Francesca Battistelli. I know, not exactly hard rock but in my mind, much better than the mainstream contemporary stuff. I feel ya man. I'm not sure why for some people, they want to worship God with watered down, bland sounding music. Seems wrong to me.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackswrd

Jun 19, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Hello, contempory christian is great. Your definition of rock is the like groups of led zepplin, pink floyd, evanscance. But christian rock can be found in all genres of christian music. Groups like newsboys, third day, mercy me, casting crowns, etc just to name a few. Are considered christian rock. Just call it contempory christian rock. The difference between secular rock and christian rock is the sense of God being in it. Secular rock sings of sex, drugs, people, places, and things. Christian is only about God. When i listen to christian stations or music cds, mp3 downloads of christian rock i sense God because thats all thete is in the songs. God, Jesus, heaven and so on. There are metal bands of christian like Stryper, Red, Skillet. See youre speaking of the hard part of some groups. Like you secular groups. And of course on all music ypu listen to. You get bored and venture iff to others. Ive gone from secular to christian and back and forth. Sometimes we crave both. Nothing wrong with that but just watch yourself on secular because the messages it gives may cause you to do wrongs things. Again christian rock can be anything rocky. Some southern gospel is considered christian rock. First church i was in they lustened to anything southern gospel or bluegrass. When i left there and found a church i could really call my church home. The music they used for the sunday services was not southern gospel but contempory christian rock. First cd i bought was Steve Curtis Chapman's Declaration one. I was blown at that one. Mellow and rocky all in the same setting. . So you see christian rock just doesnt have to be the hard rock groups like Red or Skillet. I prefer groups like say Hawk Nelson, Afters, Jeremy Camp, big daddy weave, FFH, Toby Mac to name a few. And also let those christian pop so called stationsspeak to you. Great music is on and imformative imformation given to help you in your christian walk course thats if you are saved. Believe that Jesus died on the crosz for you.

Upvote 0

Bernoulli123

Feb 12, 2012
Hawaii
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as good christian music rather than cookie cutter stuff... Have you guys listened to these artists?

Alexi Murdoch
This Old Tent

They are both really mellow but the lyrics are certainly not cookie cutter. If you like Pink Floyd and music that has amazing lyrics coupled with beautiful melodies then you have to give these two artists a listen. They are not in your face christian. They are subtle, honest and real. Amazing music does still exist.

Upvote 0

Kel Il

SpacemanDancer
Jul 4, 2013
Beaumont, TX
Visit site
✟7,852.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IMO music in general, not just christian music, can't be generic. As with any other genre a lot of christian artists I have heard all sound the same and their lyrics are basic and straightforward. I get they are trying to get a message across but they are saying the same things anyone with a pen can say. I like for music to be done where you write something and it makes people think. Someone hears a line in a song, regardless of style, and later they say, "Wow, I just got that". I feel it hits that much harder. This has been a problem with a lot of the Christian music I have heard. None of it has made me say wow. Maybe this is part of the reason you can not get into it.

Upvote 0

Bernoulli123

Feb 12, 2012
Hawaii
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMO music in general, not just christian music, can't be generic. As with any other genre a lot of christian artists I have heard all sound the same and their lyrics are basic and straightforward. I get they are trying to get a message across but they are saying the same things anyone with a pen can say. I like for music to be done where you write something and it makes people think. Someone hears a line in a song, regardless of style, and later they say, "Wow, I just got that". I feel it hits that much harder. This has been a problem with a lot of the Christian music I have heard. None of it has made me say wow. Maybe this is part of the reason you can not get into it.

Kel II...I really think you should check out the lyrics of This Old Tent. The lyrics are not in your face Holy Holy Holy...They are subtle and require some thought... and then you get it and it's like ...wow...beautiful. You can check out the music at www.thisoldtent.com and here is a youtube video link:
This Old Tent: My Love, GoPro Hawaii, Music by This Old Tent - YouTube

Upvote 0