Its your Choice...

If you had a choice to save one family member or four strangers, which would it be?

• 1 Family Member

• 4 Complete Strangers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont think its really possible to answer this honestly unless one is actually in that situation....there could be circumstances that could influence our decisons that we cannot imagine at this time...

Who is our neighbour?....who is our brother?...who is family?... in God we are all family.

I didnt vote because it was really only two choices and I think there could also be other.....

Les

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
depends:

1) exhusband - I'd make a superquick call to determine if the life insurance is current and up to date. If so, save the 4 strangers. Not even a hesitation on that one.

2) parents - well.......................................they're both older and it would depend which one. I mean what if I saved them and they died right after from the stress due to old age. :sorry:

3) kids - no brainer. I'd be in there before you could say "fire".

4) siblings - definitely depends on which one. my brother would be in the same boat as my parents, my oldest sister i'd save in a heartbeat. my next to oldest.......*sigh*...i just dunno.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I said 4 strangers because every life is precious. I think though if 4 strangers and a loved one was in one room and I could get to all of them I would have to take the family member since that would mostly be instinct. However if I could get to the 4 people more easily I would help them out first.

Upvote 0

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
bostonlass said:
depends:

1) exhusband - I'd make a superquick call to determine if the life insurance is current and up to date. If so, save the 4 strangers. Not even a hesitation on that one.

ROFL... You're a funny woman, Bridget...

But, honestly, the question makes no sense. To actually determine when the building is going to colapse, will take more readings, data, and math than you have time to do. And, even if a building collapses, it doesn't mean by default, anyone still in it is going to die. Nothing is just that cut and dry.

Also, the time needed to recure one person versus four cannot be equal without some other observations.

Honestly, I'd go for whoever was the easiest to get out, or who was going to be in the worst shape if it collapsed. Cause I honestly believe it would be a question of which ONE person to go after, because that's all I can carry. If the four are not injured, they might can get themselves out. Even if one of them is, the other three should be able to work together and get out. If 4 people are trapped in sperate places, it's a matter of which of the 5 to rescure, not a matter of 4 vs 1...

In other words... hypotheticals like this are way too simplified to be meaningful.

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bradford said:
ROFL... You're a funny woman, Bridget...

But, honestly, the question makes no sense. To actually determine when the building is going to colapse, will take more readings, data, and math than you have time to do. And, even if a building collapses, it doesn't mean by default, anyone still in it is going to die. Nothing is just that cut and dry.

Also, the time needed to recure one person versus four cannot be equal without some other observations.

Honestly, I'd go for whoever was the easiest to get out, or who was going to be in the worst shape if it collapsed. Cause I honestly believe it would be a question of which ONE person to go after, because that's all I can carry. If the four are not injured, they might can get themselves out. Even if one of them is, the other three should be able to work together and get out. If 4 people are trapped in sperate places, it's a matter of which of the 5 to rescure, not a matter of 4 vs 1...

In other words... hypotheticals like this are way too simplified to be meaningful.

You really put some thought into that. :D
Lil too philosophical for your own good ;)

I'm tossed up on this... I tend to want to go with the four strangers, even though this hypothetical probably will never exist.
My parents are older, they've already had a good life. I'm assuming with the four strangers that it might be another family with kids, whereas, I'd want to choose to get them out because they're younger, have life yet, etc....

Just me and my two cents

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would save the one family member. I realize that, that would probably cause me to feel guilty about the other 4, but in an emergency situation, people will re-act by their own gut instincts which as human beings, we would rescue the one that our heart loves. I would try and help rescue the others if I could after the loved one was safe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hypotheticals are hard.

And recently I have had to endure much loss in my family due to deaths.

If it was my children in there -well sorry that is a no brainer, I am their mother, and my kids have always come first to me.

If it was my husband, well again no brainer, he comes first to me.

I think my life would be a last priorty in that situation, to me and therefore because of that I would continue to go back in until I couldn't anymore. This way I could rescus or attempt to rescue as many as I could.

Now I have a hypothetical what if we are made to choose between family members because your perimeters says that we can only save one person from our family, or four total strangers. What if we had four family members in there? Why shouldn't it be our priority to save our family first?

I mean I have children and a husband, they are supposed to come first and I am supposed to be ready to lay my life down for them...... Aren't I?

See this is the problem with hypotheticals. Many of us are going to say we will save our family first and it is rightful answer, but it is going to look different and it will look selfish on our parts for saying so.

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I voted for the 4 strangers...I know the conditions of my families salvation...they walk with God...but the 4 strangers relationship with God I don't know...by saving them they might have a chance to turn to God for forgivness and salvation...My family member would be in heaven where the strangers may be in hell...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.