Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is clear that Satan is prowling about like a wolf, looking to cause trouble. The only question concerns how many setbacks are caused by him, and how many are the result of some other cause. Most people do not think that everything that goes bad is because of a direct intervention on the part of Satan.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wow, sounds like you guys are on the defensive already

So let's steer the topic back to the topic, which is the scapegoat
Please take the time to get to know me before passing judgement on me for one of my posts. I'm always willing to listen to anyone as long as they are sincere. I've just had my fill of these gotcha posts where people dismiss every response they get from those who the OP claims doesn't know the real referance and then proudly reveals what they think is the correct one.

I like information. as a matter of fact I crave it. I just don't crave jumping through someone else's hoops to get it, because it might not be worth the effort put into getting it.

You got information. i'd love it and not to argue or refute it. I want to here a view different from mine, so I can evaluate my own understanding. Who knows, I might be wrong. I've been there before and offered my apologies for being there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Isaacsname

Aug 5, 2012
Earth
✟1,413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, OK if you'd have just said " I don't know about this topic please explain it a bit to me ", I'd have happily done so

I usually assume that on a forum where people discuss / study the Bible, that this topic would be somewhat familiar, but I guess this is veering into territory that is not well studied, or if it is, it's studied with blinders on

Here is some background on the topic:

The word " scapegoat " comes from the practice of the high priest symbolically blaming a goat for the sins of the people and then sending it out into the wilderness

" And Aaron shall place lots upon the two he goats: one lot "For the Lord," and the other lot, "For Azazel. (for absolute removal)"

— Leviticus, Leviticus 16:8

scapegoat.jpg

The " devil " in this case is the goat

This is Strong's Hebrew 8163. sa'iyr

Short Definition : Devil

As an adjective, it usually means " hairy "

As a noun, it usually means " he-goat "

Here is the concordance link if you want to examine all the uses of the word

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/8163.htm

I found the reference to Isaiah 34:14 particularly intriguing

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oh, OK if you'd have just said " I don't know about this topic please explain it a bit to me ", I'd have happily done so

I usually assume that on a forum where people discuss / study the Bible, that this topic would be somewhat familiar, but I guess this is veering into territory that is not well studied, or if it is, it's studied with blinders on

Here is some background on the topic:

The word " scapegoat " comes from the practice of the high priest symbolically blaming a goat for the sins of the people and then sending it out into the wilderness

" And Aaron shall place lots upon the two he goats: one lot "For the Lord," and the other lot, "For Azazel. (for absolute removal)"

— Leviticus, Leviticus 16:8

scapegoat.jpg

The " devil " in this case is the goat

This is Strong's Hebrew 8163. sa'iyr

Short Definition : Devil

As an adjective, it usually means " hairy "

As a noun, it usually means " he-goat "

Here is the concordance link if you want to examine all the uses of the word

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/8163.htm

I found the reference to Isaiah 34:14 particularly intriguing

Dude please ,your topic was about The Devil and then you change it to Scapegoat. If you'd had stated scapegoat I would have known the reference and could have supplied the answer on my own.

You can also stop this substitution game where you degrade people for their supposed lack of knowledge about something you weren't clear about.

Remember what I said about sincerity? Well that applies universally. If this is some game to you then I will not be participating.

I'm not calling you out on this. I'm simply defining the parimeters in which I will prticipate in a discussion. thank you and have a great day.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

or...the title and the OP left us with several different ways of understanding what was being asked for. ;)

Upvote 0

Isaacsname

Aug 5, 2012
Earth
✟1,413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
right

So we go back to the topic now that I have given you what you asked for

thanks, it's the first sentence in the opening post , just in case you missed it

The goat { the " devil " } was blamed for the sins of the people and sent into the wilderness

what is the origin of this practice ?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The goat { the " devil " } was blamed for the sins of the people and sent into the wilderness

what is the origin of this practice ?
Issacsname, this forum is entitled "Controversial theology." We naturally didn't think that the OP would turn out to be only a trivia question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Isaacsname

Aug 5, 2012
Earth
✟1,413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I understand if this is a foreign topic for you guys, in that case there is no way I could have worded things, you'd still find something to complain about, so don't expect me to really get too bent out of shape about your reactions

-----------------------

One thing that always stood out in my studies was the usage of goat hair in scripture

It's used to make sackcloth, which clothe both the heavens and the two witnesses { a reference to astronomy }

It was used traditionally in the creation of the " fine linen " we find on characters like King David

It's used in the materials of both the Tabernacle in the wilderness and the 2nd Temple

And when we examine the last Jewish prayer of Sukkot { Feast of Tabernacles } we find this to be the call to

" eat the flesh of the Leviathan " as the part of the last prayer

Traditionally, the Rabbis have explained this by saying the messiah will slay the Leviathan and construct a giant tent { Sukkot } for the wedding feast

By listening to modern zealots, we'd be led to believe the infamous occult sabbatical goat in the pentagram { itself all based on ancient astronomy } refers to some silly practice of worshiping satan, yet if you note the Hebrew writing that is traditionally used around the " sabbatical goat ', it says

" Leviathan "

This is because occult nonsense from the middle ages is based on ancient astronomy, as astronomy dictated when religious rites happened

But....back to the opening question, where does this practice of scapegoating the devil [ the goat } come from ?

I don't actually know, I haven't bothered to try and look it up, that's why I asked, so just put your big bad attitudes back in your pockets, thank you

No need to get defensive :p

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is a drama queen special. I'm not going to respond to someone who blames others for his lack of clarity on his manner of posting, changes the goalposts. and then refuses to take responsibility for the self made confusion. It seems to suggest what we can expect from further interaction with him. People can be my guest in trying to interact with him. I'm out of here.

You guys have a Happy Thanksgiving, Bye bye!

Reactions: Isaacsname
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well....blaming a goat seems like a cop-out

I'd rather be an adult and take responsibility for my own actions :p

Truthfully though, what I am interested in is the origins of the practice