New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

When Horatio Spafford sat with his wife Anne and their four daughters at Thanksgiving dinner in November 1871, he had to think twice when asked to pass the sugar bowl. Life had been anything but sweet in recent weeks. During the past summer, this Chicago attorney had experienced the most challenging test to his Christian faith. A virus swept through the city leaving a trail of tombstones in it's wake. Among the dead was the Spaffords' only son. Emotionally bankrupt, this wealthy businessman shivered with grief while others fanned themselves in the humid Midwestern heat.

Less than four months later, on October 9, Spafford anxiously watched as the great Chicago fire swallowed up 10 square blocks of office buildings and homes along Lake Michigan. Among the smoldering ash heaps were several of Spafford's prized investment properties. It is likely that the words of the apostle Paul stuck in his throat while he swallowed his turkey dinner, "In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God...concerning you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18). How could he be grateful when life was anything but sweet? But as he looked around the family table at his beloved Anne and his four darling daughters, Sparrod realized his true wealth had not gone up in smoke. He sensed the presence of a faithful God.

Two Thanksgivings later Horatio sat alone at an empty table. No turkey or pumpkin pie. No appetite. A grateful, yet broken heart, once again pulsated with pain. In an effort to move beyond the devastation of their son's death and the financial ruin of the fire, the Spaffords had planned an extended vacation in England. Unexpected business dealings prevented Horatio from traveling with his wife and girls who had booked passage on the Ville du Havre. He would join them within a week or two. And then the unthinkable. The vessel collided with an English ship and within 12 minutes had sunk. Although many of the passengers (including his wife) were saved by the English crew, all four daughters drowned. As he sat at the family table he couldn't eat. He could only ponder the telegram from his Anne which contained only two words..."saved alone." In his grief he was grateful his sweetheart had been spared. He thanked the Lord all his girls were Christians. He found the inner strength to celebrate that God was in control. Two years earlier he had learned that the granules of God's grace could sweeten the bitter taste of seemingly senseless tragedy. Beneath the ache of his bleeding heart he felt an unexplainable peace. In the depth of his soul all was well.

A few days later, Spafford booked passage for England to join Anne. When his ship sailed in the vicinity of where the Ville du Havre went down, Horatio stood on the deck and penned a poem articulating his emotions. Little did he realize his lines would be sung as a hymn in churches for generations to come.

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way.
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
'It is well, it is well with my soul.'
And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight.
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend;
Even so, it is well with my soul."

****IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL****
Author: Horatio G. Spafford, 1828-1888
Music: Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876
Submitted by Richard

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EarthMomma

Veteran
Oct 19, 2005
Florida
✟2,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks story teller, this is one of my all times favorites (the story AND the hymn). I love reading of Spafford's life!

The Story Teller said:
IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

When Horatio Spafford sat with his wife Anne and their four daughters at Thanksgiving dinner in November 1871, he had to think twice when asked to pass the sugar bowl. Life had been anything but sweet in recent weeks. During the past summer, this Chicago attorney had experienced the most challenging test to his Christian faith. A virus swept through the city leaving a trail of tombstones in it's wake. Among the dead was the Spaffords' only son. Emotionally bankrupt, this wealthy businessman shivered with grief while others fanned themselves in the humid Midwestern heat.

Less than four months later, on October 9, Spafford anxiously watched as the great Chicago fire swallowed up 10 square blocks of office buildings and homes along Lake Michigan. Among the smoldering ash heaps were several of Spafford's prized investment properties. It is likely that the words of the apostle Paul stuck in his throat while he swallowed his turkey dinner, "In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God...concerning you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18). How could he be grateful when life was anything but sweet? But as he looked around the family table at his beloved Anne and his four darling daughters, Sparrod realized his true wealth had not gone up in smoke. He sensed the presence of a faithful God.

Two Thanksgivings later Horatio sat alone at an empty table. No turkey or pumpkin pie. No appetite. A grateful, yet broken heart, once again pulsated with pain. In an effort to move beyond the devastation of their son's death and the financial ruin of the fire, the Spaffords had planned an extended vacation in England. Unexpected business dealings prevented Horatio from traveling with his wife and girls who had booked passage on the Ville du Havre. He would join them within a week or two. And then the unthinkable. The vessel collided with an English ship and within 12 minutes had sunk. Although many of the passengers (including his wife) were saved by the English crew, all four daughters drowned. As he sat at the family table he couldn't eat. He could only ponder the telegram from his Anne which contained only two words..."saved alone." In his grief he was grateful his sweetheart had been spared. He thanked the Lord all his girls were Christians. He found the inner strength to celebrate that God was in control. Two years earlier he had learned that the granules of God's grace could sweeten the bitter taste of seemingly senseless tragedy. Beneath the ache of his bleeding heart he felt an unexplainable peace. In the depth of his soul all was well.

A few days later, Spafford booked passage for England to join Anne. When his ship sailed in the vicinity of where the Ville du Havre went down, Horatio stood on the deck and penned a poem articulating his emotions. Little did he realize his lines would be sung as a hymn in churches for generations to come.

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way.
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
'It is well, it is well with my soul.'
And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight.
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend;
Even so, it is well with my soul."

****IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL****
Author: Horatio G. Spafford, 1828-1888
Music: Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876
Submitted by Richard

Upvote 0