Isn't being called "sheep" demeaning?

RuthJoseph

Mar 15, 2011
✟15,130.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
One of the problems I have with the christian faith, even though I have come to accept god, is that to follow him I have to accept being called "one of the flock", or in other words, a sheep. To me, that epithet is an insult, implying you unthinkingly follow what others do, which is no way to worship in my opinion - I've always been taught to question and make my own decisions when I have more knowledge.

Could someone please explain to me what god means by inviting us to be part of his flock?

Thank you as ever :)

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
It's more about needing direction - sheep are herded to safety by shepherds, and Jesus 'herds' people to safety through Him.

I have always seen as love and concern for people, rather than saying that you have to unthinkingly follow.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
One of the problems I have with the christian faith, even though I have come to accept god, is that to follow him I have to accept being called "one of the flock", or in other words, a sheep. To me, that epithet is an insult, implying you unthinkingly follow what others do, which is no way to worship in my opinion - I've always been taught to question and make my own decisions when I have more knowledge.

Could someone please explain to me what god means by inviting us to be part of his flock?

There are many qualities of a sheep that are attractive. I think the passage that is most attractive for being a sheep is Matt 25:31 and following where it is the sheep that love others and the goats that do not. Sheep are not vicious and dangerous animals. They are gentle and vulnerable and need a shepherd and protector. People are a lot like sheep in that they follow the leader and travel in groups but I think that is not the traits God is wanting. He does want us to use the mind we have been created with and the ability we have to be loving rather than act like wild animals with each other.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the world teaches us to be very confident of self and trust self (humanism), but God says we are really like sheep and need a Shepherd (the Lord Jesus). What a blessing it is to have the Shepherd. He knows the end from the beginning --we do not. He knows the way of blessing and success --we do not. He knows the way to honor and obey God --we do not. He is the only way to salvation --we are not.

The more like sheep we become (only in faith in Christ) the more blessed and content we will be in this world; and the greater our reward in Heaven will be.

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the world teaches us to be very confident of self and trust self (humanism), but God says we are really like sheep and need a Shepherd (the Lord Jesus). What a blessing it is to have the Shepherd. He knows the end from the beginning --we do not. He knows the way of blessing and success --we do not. He knows the way to honor and obey God --we do not. He is the only way to salvation --we are not.

The more like sheep we become (only in faith in Christ) the more blessed and content we will be in this world; and the greater our reward in Heaven will be.

- 1 Watchman
Much of this I agree with, but we do know how to honor and obey God--the parable of the good Samaritan. Also faith without love as in acting for the benefit of others in need is worthless. 1 Cor 13:2 Matt 25:31 and following.

Upvote 0

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's more about needing direction - sheep are herded to safety by shepherds, and Jesus 'herds' people to safety through Him.

I have always seen as love and concern for people, rather than saying that you have to unthinkingly follow.

This. The metaphor isn't about sheep being unthinking blind followers, but about Jesus as a loving shepherd.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the problems I have with the Christian faith, even though I have come to accept god, is that to follow him I have to accept being called "one of the flock", or in other words, a sheep. To me, that epithet is an insult, implying you unthinkingly follow what others do, which is no way to worship in my opinion - I've always been taught to question and make my own decisions when I have more knowledge.
:) you are already a sheep, no matter what you do or believe. Unless you claim to be a prophetess and carve out your own religion you are ultimately following (blindly in most cases) what you claim to believe or not believe in.

Psalms 23 frames it out nicely.
A psalm of David.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
staff edit

And sheep use the shepherd for what He has to provide. And stars use hydrogen. And poets use language for poetry. And lovers use each other for love. But you only protect what is valuable.

P.S. You need to read the FSG here. You already have a similar thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What do you know about sheep? They are loyal, affectionate, but DUMB. The smartest of us are DUMB compared to G-d. We are the sheep of His pasture - yes, very demeaning / humiliating, indeed. By design.

None of this implies blindly following! At our BEST, the smartest of us are as sheep compared to Him. That means we'd better use all the wits we've got!

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
staff edit

So it is your belief that an enemy is one that shares a mutual hate that stems from physical harm?

Well some good new for you is that the dictionary Include scraps of your definition but in no way limits itself to it:
Enemy | Define Enemy at Dictionary.com

Infact the first definition the dictionary shares has little to do with how you have personally decided to define an enemy.
a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.

As you can see physical harm inflicted on another nor mutual hate is not at the core of this definition. Infact one could easily surmise that your current activities here more closely mirrors this definition, which could easily classify you as an enemy of God and or His people.

You seem to be purposefully limiting your understanding of an enemy to the reason why one could obtain an enemy, rather that the actual efforts one's enemy will produce, thus defining his actual status..

The way you headlined my boggy man error one would think that you are indeed a man of serious education, but when I look at your presented understanding of what an enemy is, it makes me wonder. Are you simply bending the definition of the word so you do not have to personally except your status as an enemy of God? -or- are you just not as smart as you have made yourself out to be?

Also know "there" will be other errors in all my message if you wish to concentrate on them rather than the substance in my text. If you always leave your opponent a way to win (In this case a discussion) then anyone can see "he" is not your enemy.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
staff edit

I can see how religion has been the cause of much suffering and wrong in the world, but what about a belief in a loving Creator that wants us to love each other. Do you hate that concept? The only way that concept can lead to unnecessary death and suffering is for someone to not follow the concept.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
staff edit
I believe God set up this universe as it is with life being limited. I don't think God sent or caused the recent tsunami or any other disasters. I believe God created us with the ability to become loving beings. If we do we fulfill the reason for our existence. We do not need a loving Creator to love each other, but if our love for each other is to have meaning that lasts beyond our puny lifetime, we do need a loving Creator and the potential for living beyond the grave. Otherwise everything ultimately becomes meaningless when humans are extinct.

Upvote 0