Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.canadafreepress.com/2005/cover110405.htm

From the article:

...“Rosenhoj Mall has several nights in a row been the scene of the worst riots in Århus for years. “This area belongs to us,” the youths proclaim. Sunday evening saw a new arson attack.

“Their words sound like a clear declaration of war on the Danish society. Police must stay out. The area belongs to immigrants.

...“Around the parking lot, cars with youngsters from the immigrant community are swarming, and many are walking around, greeting each other with a sense of victory after the worst riots in Århus for years.

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Billy Batson said:
no, europe will pass laws that will limit the pervalence of religion and its impact on secular society as they rightly should. that will more than likely include ALL religions.
And yet it seems to be one religion in particular that has become (or always was) a prevalent problem.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Billy Batson said:
yeah, chrisitanity has always tried to set foot in other people's business like no other.

Billy, you have to be fair here. I mean, the Moslems provoked the pre-emptive strikes that we now call the "Crusades." If the Christians hadn't raided Jerusalem, you wouldn't believe what things would look like now. Those police actions were vital to the development of democracy and freedom in the world.

Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
jesusland :'(
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Jonathan David said:
Billy, you have to be fair here. I mean, the Moslems provoked the pre-emptive strikes that we now call the "Crusades." If the Christians hadn't raided Jerusalem, you wouldn't believe what things would look like now. Those police actions were vital to the development of democracy and freedom in the world.

there's a distinction between terrorist group and muslims in general.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Billy Batson said:
there's a distinction between terrorist group and muslims in general.

It's infuriating that I could post something like that and be taken seriously.... not your fault Billy... just says a great deal about this site and some of the people who post here.

Reactions: rahma
Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
alaurie said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Denmark is one of the more secular European countries.

The point is that the common denominator is poverty, oppression, disadvanatge, disposession, etc.... not the fact of being from a particular ethnic/religious group.

- The French Revolution was not conducted because the insurgents were French.... it was because they were oppressed.
- The more radical activism in the civil rights movement (Black Panthers, American Indian Movement, etc) were not engaged with because the people were Black or Indigenous.... it was because they were oppressed.
- The violence in Palestine is not because the Palestinians are Moslem or Arab.... it is because they are disposessed and oppressed
- The Rodney King Riots and Cinncinati riots were not a result of people being black,... they were a result of repeated police brutality and repression
- And this violence is not the result of people being Moslem... it is economic and social marginalization.

I am not saying that all violence/uprising is the result of oppression... but it (and its opposite... "violent repression") is far more frequently the root cause than is any national/ethnic/religious identity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi JohnathanDavid. :) My post was in answer to this one. I was trying to understand how the comment about Christianity was relevant to Denmark's riots since modern Denmark isn't much influenced by Christianity.

Billy Batson said:
yeah, chrisitanity has always tried to set foot in other people's business like no other.

alaurie said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Denmark is one of the more secular European countries.

Upvote 0

Selznak

No King But Jesus
Jul 6, 2003
Nevada
✟17,278.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
BrownCoat said:
Woah. That's nuts.

Seriously. Is Europe gonna fall like a house of cards?

Probably not. At least not yet, anyway. They may soon come to rethink the wisdom of inviting so many who are downright hostile to the tolerant, secular nature of many of their societies to live among them.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
alaurie said:
Hi JohnathanDavid. :) My post was in answer to this one. I was trying to understand how the comment about Christianity was relevant to Denmark's riots since modern Denmark isn't much influenced by Christianity.

I think that he was responding to the notion that Moslems are most often responsible for violence these days... not speaking directly to the matter at hand.

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Jonathan David said:
The point is that the common denominator is poverty, oppression, disadvanatge, disposession, etc.... not the fact of being from a particular ethnic/religious group.

- The French Revolution was not conducted because the insurgents were French.... it was because they were oppressed.
- The more radical activism in the civil rights movement (Black Panthers, American Indian Movement, etc) were not engaged with because the people were Black or Indigenous.... it was because they were oppressed.
- The violence in Palestine is not because the Palestinians are Moslem or Arab.... it is because they are disposessed and oppressed
- The Rodney King Riots and Cinncinati riots were not a result of people being black,... they were a result of repeated police brutality and repression
- And this violence is not the result of people being Moslem... it is economic and social marginalization.

I am not saying that all violence/uprising is the result of oppression... but it (and its opposite... "violent repression") is far more frequently the root cause than is any national/ethnic/religious identity.

:amen: Excellent post, JD

It is sad when people seize upon the surface instead of the root causes:(

Upvote 0

Robby

Contributor
Nov 9, 2003
BEYOND THE SUN
✟5,536.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
From my reading, I understand that France used to require immigrants assimilate into the French society. Learn the language, the history and culture. For the last few decades, however, this policy was abandoned in the name of multiculturalism. Well now the chickens have come home to roost. Hopefully the U.S. will learn from this fiasco.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone likes to say that Islam is a violent religion or the cause of religious strife. Does everyone forget the days burning heretics? Imprisoning and killing those who disagree with Christianity? Wars between Catholics and Protestants, for example in France. Banning non Christians from political processes. Conquering and enslaving native peoples in the name of spreading Christianity. Our religion is not spotless. We have grown up.

We have endured the trials of such times and though I fear soem Christians would like to go back to those days, Christians live in a society that has advanced to be much more civilized. Islam is a newer religion. Many Islamic areas of the world are further behind in progress, in enlightenment, and in growth. It isn't the religion, they aren't all that different than any religion. Just about every religion has at a time been used for violence, and just about every time it has been contrary to the teachings of the religion.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Maynard Keenan said:
Everyone likes to say that Islam is a violent religion or the cause of religious strife. Does everyone forget the days burning heretics? Imprisoning and killing those who disagree with Christianity? Wars between Catholics and Protestants, for example in France. Banning non Christians from political processes. Conquering and enslaving native peoples in the name of spreading Christianity. Our religion is not spotless. We have grown up.

We have endured the trials of such times and though I fear soem Christians would like to go back to those days, Christians live in a society that has advanced to be much more civilized. Islam is a newer religion. Many Islamic areas of the world are further behind in progress, in enlightenment, and in growth. It isn't the religion, they aren't all that different than any religion. Just about every religion has at a time been used for violence, and just about every time it has been contrary to the teachings of the religion.

I appreciate that you have good intentions here Maynard.... but I have to speak to your post. The suggestion, as I read it, is that we should not think of Moslems as being "more violent" than Christians... it is just that they are "less civilized."

Look at the two World Wars, lynchings, police brutality (Los Angeles, Cinncinati, Vancouver, etc). Look at Iraq/Afghanistan and the thousands of innocent people that have been massacred by (largely) Christian hands. Look at the history of violent political repression and revolution in Latin America (almost entirely Christian populations)... the violence in Rwanda (including the complicit participation of nuns and priests in massacring Tutsis)..... "Christians" are not all peaceful, "Moslems" are not all violent.... Rather, PEOPLE have a great capacity for violence and it is often triggered either to alter or maintain unequal power structures.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't mean to imply that muslims are uncivilized. We're all people, all the same. I just mean that if you look at countries in europe and the americas that are Christian dominated and then look at muslim dominated countries in the middle east, there is a huge difference in the level of civil progress that can explain some of the differences without having to say religion is causing it.

Upvote 0