• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

yajoh

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Stockholm, SWEDEN
✟26,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have trouble getting my sleep between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. as I would like it to be.

I need to get some nap or two during the day because of my schizophrenia.

But I have most problems when I lower the medicine dose, I suspect.

Now it is past midnight and I will not go to bed immediately.

Also I'm new on this forum.

/yajoh

• Prayers
Reactions: Saint Beloved

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
whisper.gif
(I think it is funny that a thread about insomnia is answered by a guy named @Winken ...)

• Friendly
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi yojoh ... welcome to CF.
I almost never sleep 8 hrs. more like 6 1/2 to 7 hrs. Been that way most of my life.
Sometime when I was very young I learned to stay in bed and medicate on things. As I have gotten old and learned all the benefits that meditating can bring to a person I now see how valuable that time has been to me.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have trouble getting my sleep between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. as I would like it to be.
I have a granddaughter with either Aspy or something very similar on the spectrum. (not got a full diagnosis yet) Her sleep was seriously messed up. They give her (in grade school) a 3 mg dose of melatonin an hour before bed time and it has helped her a lot.

When it was determined she had something on the spectrum near or at Aspy's, my daughter started reading up on it. She is of the opinion that I myself am also a mild Aspy. She gave me a book ("Look Me In the Eye" by John Elder Robison) and did find certain similarities - including the messed up sleep. I now take 5 mg melatonin and I am sleeping much better.

Upvote 0

Elana

Sep 24, 2016
ME
✟1,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i'm an Aspie and my sleep, or lack there of, is severely messed up which is a very common symptom attributed with Asperger's. I've had insomnia since I was a child and I've never found anything, medication wise, that has helped me sleep. Melatonin is the only thing I've found that helps me the best, however it has never solved the problem but has gotten me to a point where I am getting on average 4 to 5 hours a sleep at night and am able to function relatively well. This is a huge improvement for me.
What has helped me the best is routine, keeping a clean sleep environment and using different techniques and exercises that I associate with sleep to help aid me in the sleeping process.
My insomnia is always constant for the most part but sometimes it is more severe than others. Recently the past month or so sleep has been extra difficult and to the point where it is effecting other aspects of my life. I hope you find something that works well for you to aid you in your sleep.
The greatest thing I have learned is that if I cannot sleep to not dwell in bed for too long. For me this only creates more frustrating thoughts about sleep. I have the tendency to fall asleep rather quickly but am normally unable to sleep past 3:30 or 4:30ish on average. If I cannot fall asleep after 20 minutes I get up and spend time in the Word, in prayer or do other relaxing things around my home. I actually enjoy that I have this time to spend with the Lord in this way, however I do wish some days sleep would come easier.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Now it is past midnight and I will not go to bed immediately.

Also I'm new on this forum.

/yajoh

I have extreme insomnia (awake for several days, longest I believe was 4.5 days). Nothing has helped me. When I do go to sleep, I only sleep for three hours max.

I am also dyslexic, I have OCD, and ADHD, and depression. So, hyperactivity of the brain for me is an understatement.

Ironically, my field of study makes use of these "problems," which I suppose gives me *some* solace - although, i suspect i *gave myself* insomnia because of my field. Also, it has helped me with understanding the word of God - especially the ADHD, and dyslexia (Hebrew and Arabic are read "backward," for example.)

What I could think of as a positive is that perhaps what we see as "disorders," or "problems" are actually strengths. Our problem is calibrating them to the world that makes us see a "problem."

Being able to function without sleep (because insomnia is about a degree of functionality without sleep) could prove a powerful advantage in a war situation, or a conflict. As others have pointed out, the extra time awake gives you more time to fellowship.

I used to (and still do) think of sleep as a God-given reminder to us that 1) we are mortals, and 2) we die. I don't think the angels "sleep" in the way we do - just like God doesn't "rest" like we think of rest. So, sleep should be appreciated on a physical and spiritual level.

I fully understand how it is to not be able to go to sleep when you want to - especially if you have a hyperactive brain. Considering the brain consumes about 20% of your metabolic energy, you may want to exhaust at least 1/4 of your energy output doing things that *work the brain.* Putting energy int productive mental fatigue can help volumes. For example, some people without insomnia read before bed to help fall asleep. Maybe you can read and study the bible, and word of God. This way, when you fall asleep, you will have Him as the last thing on your mind.

Hope it helps... welcome.

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Get some organic chamomile and drink it as a tea. Made my life as an Aspie so much easier. I also enjoy adding lavender to have an active dream life. NO CAFFEINE AT NIGHT! I have synesthesia and dyslexia and I was diagnosed by a psychologist with ASD, but neurologically I don't know what the neurotypical brain looks like.

The point is I would try natural remedies to help. God created plants for a reason they nourish us and animals. Carnivores excluded, but they were all once part of the Garden.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Melatonin, magnesium and calming teas with lemon balm, chamomile, lavender and other soothing herbs can help tremendously. My autistic son had alot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep well into his teen years. I did alot of research through books and online and discovered magnesium to actually be one of the best minerals we have tried. After one dose, he slept for 9 hours straight! He's been kept on it (Natural Calm) ever since.

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Melatonin, magnesium and calming teas with lemon balm, chamomile, lavender and other soothing herbs can help tremendously. My autistic son had alot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep well into his teen years. I did alot of research through books and online and discovered magnesium to actually be one of the best minerals we have tried. After one dose, he slept for 9 hours straight! He's been kept on it (Natural Calm) ever since.
Magnesium works wonders! Helps with those night jitters and restless feet. Also, valerian root was one I forgot to mention as well as passion flower extract. Combine all three and you'll be in such a deep rest you'll be chattin' with ol' Rip Van Winkle in your dreams.

Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums