Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not say that. I asked a question and I think you missed the point, there is a whole lot more to the Mosaic Law. My point was tithing was under the Mosaic Law yet he did not tithe....do you know why?

First, I don't think you know what the tithe actually was (is) for Jews--it's not what Christians say it is.

Second, if Jesus did not tithe, it would have been by the possible "loophole" that the tithe was described by God as the produce of farm labor, and Jesus was not a farm laborer.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
wwjd is just something to remind us of how Jesus lived his life here on earth...

Its not something thats meant to be argued over. What Jesus DID is in the Bible but obviously not everything as it even says not everything Jesus did was recorded in the Bible as he did so much more that not even all the books could be written about what he did.

For christians of course what our Father would have us do is most important and remember that Jesus obeyed his Father in everything and always did what His Father said to do.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
is WWJD (what would Jesus do) a good thing?....can it be poor guidance in today's society?
wwjd is just something to remind us of how Jesus lived his life here on earth...
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1474449713049-1'); });
It is not something that is meant to be argued over.
The OP question was is it a "good thing"?
It looks like "is the 'movement'/bumper sticker/'WWJD' club" / a good thing,
and then can it be poor guidance in today's society ?
Or at least I read it that way.
I didn't see the 'WWJD' organizations, bumper stickers, 'clubs' as a good thing when I saw them, as it drew worldly attention to people and things that did not
"DO" what Y'SHUA(JESUS) said to do, thus diminishing the value and importance of YHWH'S WORD in society / in regular daily people's lives.
Often it seems it was seen like someone posted earlier:
I personally think it is a bit flippant and a kind of marketing slogan that appears to cover all situations but doesn't.
I found a wallet at work one day with a lot of money inside. You don't need a "WWJD?" slogan to know what Jesus would actually do.
If Jesus was living in America today, what would he do come election day in November? No one can say with certainty.
I think it's a clever catch phrase that has no real substance.
.... and has been a small part of the problem, that dilemma, result: people don't know what Y'SHUA would do on election day; even many [Christians] don't know
because they don't DO what Y'SHUA said to do, even though the sticker/slogan was used.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, I don't think you know what the tithe actually was (is) for Jews--it's not what Christians say it is.

Second, if Jesus did not tithe, it would have been by the possible "loophole" that the tithe was described by God as the produce of farm labor, and Jesus was not a farm laborer.

Well it is a bit presumptuous to assume I do not know what the tithe is. Actually I have studied the tithe extensively. The tithe is laid out clearly in scripture in three main places (Leviticus 27, Numbers 11 and Number 18). The point you bring up about farming items is a valid one and was actually where I was going. However, the Lord does not need "loopholes". My point was as we know Jesus was without sin, thus he did not violate the law. Another person on here said since it is not mentioned one way or another that Jesus did not tithe we can assume that he did....that is false. One we are not to assume things that are not provided in scripture. Secondly as you pointed out tithe items were very very specific, produce (wheat, barley, olive oil, herbs, and so on) and cattle or livestock. The reason Jesus did not tithe is because he was a carpenter like Joseph, and he did not have tithe items therefore was not required to tithe. Notice there is no mention of Peter, Andrew or any fishermen tithing as well....why because fish were not a tithe item and therefore not required...there is no loophole.

Then you say what the tithe is to Christians. With all due respect Christians are not commended to tithe.....The whole purpose of the tithe was to support the temple system to which the temple system was in place for sin covering....since Jesus paid the price once and for all there is no need for sacrifices anymore thus the temple system is done away with and thus so is the tithe...in the NT Jesus nor any Apostle ever required a tithe or took a tithe.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point was as we know Jesus was without sin, thus he did not violate the law. Another person on here said since it is not mentioned one way or another that Jesus did not tithe we can assume that he did....that is false. One we are not to assume things that are not provided in scripture.

You are asserting that because scripture does not positively provide an example of Jesus tithing, then we must not presume He did and must necessarily conclude He did not.

If we believe Jesus did not violate the law, then we do, very much, presume He obeyed every instance of the Law that would have applied to Him whether scripture presents us with explicit examples each instance or not. We presume, for instance, that Jesus did not wear mixed fabric or cut the edges of His beard, and that He ate lamb at Passover.

Or are you intending to continue your argument that since scripture does not say anything about whether Jesus obeyed the law on those points that we must not presume He did and necessarily conclude He did not?

Secondly as you pointed out tithe items were very very specific, produce (wheat, barley, olive oil, herbs, and so on) and cattle or livestock. The reason Jesus did not tithe is because he was a carpenter like Joseph, and he did not have tithe items therefore was not required to tithe. Notice there is no mention of Peter, Andrew or any fishermen tithing as well....why because fish were not a tithe item and therefore not required...there is no loophole.

First, note that the purpose of the tithe was to provide for an all-nation feast. The people were to bring their produce in order to eat it as a massive, rollicking, "pot luck dinner" of the entire nation. This was not a tax, nor was it an onerous duty--it was a party.

So the first question is: Did Jesus take part in the feast of the tithe along with the rest of the nation? Perhaps He was not required to bring food for the tithe if He had no food (notice, for instance, that a shepherd who had only nine sheep was also not required to bring a sheep to the tithe).

Or, also very possible, the Law's prescription for people with money to buy food for the tithe would have applied to Him--I'd personally presume that He would have bought food to bring to the feast rather than sitting down to the table empty-handed and mooching on others when He had money in His purse.

Then you say what the tithe is to Christians. With all due respect Christians are not commended to tithe.....The whole purpose of the tithe was to support the temple system to which the temple system was in place for sin covering....since Jesus paid the price once and for all there is no need for sacrifices anymore thus the temple system is done away with and thus so is the tithe...in the NT Jesus nor any Apostle ever required a tithe or took a tithe.

I won't argue against that.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Well it is a bit presumptuous to assume I do not know what the tithe is.

Another person on here said since it is not mentioned one way or another that Jesus did not tithe we can assume that he did....that is false. One we are not to assume things that are not provided in scripture.

Notice there is no mention of Peter, Andrew or any fishermen tithing as well....why because fish were not a tithe item and therefore not required...there is no loophole.

.in the NT Jesus nor any Apostle ever required a tithe or took a tithe.

RE Y'SHUA and the Apostles (and disciples who remained faithful):
They didn't tithe,
instead:
Luke 18:24-43Amplified Bible (AMP)

Jesus looked at him and said, “How difficult it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man [who places his faith in wealth or status] to enter the kingdom of God.” And those who heard it said, “[a]Then who can be saved?

27 But He said, “The things that are impossible with people are possible with God.”

28 Peter said, “Look, we have left all [things—homes, families, businesses] and followed You.”

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus only did what his Father said to do. I think I made that point before and now us christians have that same relationship as adopted children with our Heavenly Father that Jesus had as his only son. So we trust and obey Him.

It isnt following the mosaic law but the law written on our hearts. So what Jesus did God put in his heart. Thats why many christians say God placed it on my heart to do...such and such. you will know when God does this for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jesus only did what his Father said to do. I think I made that point before and now us christians have that same relationship as adopted children with our Heavenly Father that Jesus had as his only son. So we trust and obey Him.
Amein. So we are, so we do. [ecclesia(begotten of YHWH)]
Saved already , saved eternally if we do not draw back to destruction. Saved and we know this, already, not sometime in the future nor after death. We NOW KNOW< TODAY >.
(emphasized because some cults teach that no one can know)
HalleluYAH ! We KNOW !
Simple.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

As you said about Christians, the tithes were never for Jesus
or any apostle. Gift offerings, yes. Pay for their service, yes,
though Paul never took payment from a congregation he
served.

Have you ever studied the Torah about the Levites, the temple
and all the different sacrifices and how tithes were related not
only to the temple, but to the Levites and the poor? Tithes and
sacrifices were food for the Levites and poor to eat.

The temple and sacrifices will be back, because they will
be necessary under Jesus' reign during the next millennium.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Amein. So we are, so we do. [ecclesia(begotten of YHWH)]
Saved already , saved eternally if we do not draw back to destruction. Saved and we know this, already, not sometime in the future nor after death. We NOW KNOW< TODAY >.
(emphasized because some cults teach that no one can know)
HalleluYAH ! We KNOW !
Simple.

We know, because we have the testimony of what he did.
He obeyed God and followed the law. If we did that, then
everything else would fall into place. Of course, it wouldn't
be any easier, because the more we are like him, the more
the world and its ruler, Satan, will seek to destroy us.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WWJD? He would follow the rules of the Mosaic Law. Then He would nail that law to the cross with Him when He died. Then He would rise again. Be exalted. And send the Holy Spirit to make billions of little Jesus' all over the earth.

Pretty sure that's not our job.

Our job, as others have said, is to be ourselves in the Spirit and listen to the Father.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Amen sola, the law was a weak substitute for God's grace.

Wrong. The law is what led us to God's grace. And it
reminds us why we need it. Without it, we are still lost.
There is no defining sin without the law, and if you don't
know what sin is, how can you repent and be forgiven?

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wrong. The law is what led us to God's grace.

I said, "The law was a weak substitute for God's grace."

You said, "Wrong."

The Apostle Paul says,

"For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh." (Romans 8:3)

"For what the Law could not do, weak as it was..." (NASB)

"
In that it was weak through the flesh.—There was one constant impediment in the way of the success of the Law, that it had to be carried out by human agents, beset by human frailty, a frailty naturally consequent upon that physical organisation with which man is endowed. Temptation and sin have their roots in the physical part of human nature, and they were too strong for the purely moral influence of the Law. The Law was limited in its operations by them, and failed to overcome them." (Elliot's Commentary on Romans 8:3)

So I think I'm going to stay with Paul here.

Paul goes on to describe those Christians that then try and add the law, as "Ignorant,"
"Bewitched,"
"Foolish," (Gal. 3)

Hardly superlatives!

Now if you are creating a strawman by trying to put words in my mouth, then that is manipulative and disingenuous. No propaganda please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I said, "The law was a weak substitute for God's grace."

You said, "Wrong."