Is water baptism essential for salvation?

BookishGirl

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
CA
✟337,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is an occurrence happening prior to his resurrection.

Yes, I agree. I was responding to a statement in post #2 that said this:

"Water baptism for the remission of sin was a requirement in the Gospel of the Kingdom when John the Baptist, Jesus and the Twelve on the day of Pentecost were preaching it."

I should have been more specific as to why I asked the question. I apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2016
Longview, TX
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JESUS told His disciples to go preach the Gospel, baptizing them in the Name (singular) of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.

What is the name of the Father?

Joh_17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

JESUS is the Father's name.

Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Ghost's name is JESUS

Act_20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

That's Holy Ghost's own blood.

With this revelation Peter stood up on the day of Pentecost with the other 11, baptized in the name of JESUS Christ. He did not say: I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. He said with the revelation of the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, he invoked the name of JESUS Christ.

But for those who do not have a pure heart towards God seeking Him with a pure heart, they will never see it.

Isa 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and FALL BACKWARD, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Some people believe we are given Word here a little and there a little so that they may make it. No to the un pure heart it is to make them fall backward and be taken because they serve God halfheartedly.
Who was it that Jesus baptized in water? How many did Paul baptize in water? Did Paul preach water baptism?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is it essential to get water baptized in the name of JESUS Christ for the remission of your sins for salvation or is it not essential?
The last time this was discussed, there was a consensus that it is NOT essential to salvation. But neither is it correct to consider Baptism to be optional.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2016
Longview, TX
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The bottom line:

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

God Himself said it. There will be unbelievers just like there were unbelievers back then when they were approached with the same situation.

Luk 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

The same applies today. This generation also rejects the counsel of God as well. They will pray in the name of JESUS, they will worship in the name of JESUS, they will talk about the name of JESUS but they will NOT take on His name in water baptism.

They HATE the name of JESUS.

Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

But the Bible says there is no other name in which we are saved by but that name.

Those who are baptized have put on Christ.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Thats your wedding garment. If we have NOT on that wedding garment.

Mat_22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The bottom line:

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

God Himself said it. There will be unbelievers just like there were unbelievers back then when they were approached with the same situation.

Luk 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

The same applies today. This generation also rejects the counsel of God as well. They will pray in the name of JESUS, they will worship in the name of JESUS, they will talk about the name of JESUS but they will NOT take on His name in water baptism.

They HATE the name of JESUS.

Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

But the Bible says there is no other name in which we are saved by but that name.

Those who are baptized have put on Christ.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Thats your wedding garment. If we have NOT on that wedding garment.

Mat_22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
The name of Jesus is much more than the word people call Him. His name is who He is. It entails all that He is as God and all that He is as Man. It consists of His truthfulness and veracity. It encompasses His complete character. When we pray in His name it doesn't mean that we say His name at the end, that is what most people think though, but to pray in faith in His whole Person and character. It is seeing Him as the God-Man Mediator and Savior who alone is the Beloved Son of God. To pray, be baptized or claim the name of Jesus is to believe Him, rest in Him and be united to Him by faith.

If just a name meant anything then Joshua, which means savior, would have had the name of the Son of God. Which he did as far as his moniker went but it didn't mean the same thing.

When you speak of the name of someone you don't just think of what they are called your thoughts are automatically toward who they are. You hear a name that you know and you know if they are honest or not, worthy of your attention or not and so many other things. The name of Jesus is exactly who He is. That is why His name should never be spoken frivolously or used as an epithet or byword. His name deserves reverence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0