✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Transubstantiation is deemed "un-biblical"

agreed?

depends on what you were trying to prove is unbiblical,
the word itself, yes it's not in the Bible but so aren't many other words we use in Christianity.
A detailed explanation of the process, again you are right it's not in the bible but if you actually read the def. of transub., all it really is, is alot of jargon that basically says though the bread and wine still taste like bread and wine the properties are of the body and blood of Christ. That is not unbiblical.

Was it proved that an actual change occures is unbiblical?, NO, that has not been proven to be unbiblical, not by a long shot. "This is My Body, This is MY Blood" .

Can you show us in scripture where Jesus or anyone says "People do not take this serious, this is only a metaphor and not to be taken literally".

If you can't then a Symbolic Eucharist is "Un Biblical"

Upvote 0

2 King

By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
depends on what you were trying to prove is unbiblical,
the word itself, yes it's not in the Bible but so aren't many other words we use in Christianity.
A detailed explanation of the process, again you are right it's not in the bible but if you actually read the def. of transub., all it really is, is alot of jargon that basically says though the bread and wine still taste like bread and wine the properties are of the body and blood of Christ. That is not unbiblical.

Was it proved that an actual change occures is unbiblical?, NO, that has not been proven to be unbiblical, not by a long shot. "This is My Body, This is MY Blood" .

Can you show us in scripture where Jesus or anyone says "People do not take this serious, this is only a metaphor and not to be taken literally".

If you can't then a Symbolic Eucharist is "Un Biblical"
I'm not interested in your logical strawmans honestly. No it dosen't depend on what I'm deeming un-biblical, because Transubstantiation is Transubstantiation. Througout this whole thread, CaliforniaJosiah has given accurate report on Transubstantiation. RND has as well, If that's so hard to grasp then.....I can't help you there.

Of course Real Presence is biblical, I am not attacking real presence.

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not interested in your logical strawmans honestly. No it dosen't depend on what I'm deeming un-biblical, because Transubstantiation is Transubstantiation. Througout this whole thread, CaliforniaJosiah has given accurate report on Transubstantiation. RND has as well, If that's so hard to grasp then.....I can't help you there.

Of course Real Presence is biblical, I am not attacking real presence.

I can go back and pull quite a few posts of yours where you are argueing against the real presence.

The problem is you are trying to have the same argument in two different rings, sort of like killing two birds with one stone. On one hand go after the term Transub. and also go after the Real Presence.
By using Transub. You can get all the Prots. to go after the Catholics and at the same time you can fly under the radar and argue against the Real Presence.

If the Real Presence is biblical, then why do you believe the Eucharist is symbolic?

Upvote 0

2 King

Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I can go back and pull quite a few posts of yours where you are argueing against the real presence.

The problem is you are trying to have the same argument in two different rings, sort of like killing two birds with one stone. On one hand go after the term Transub. and also go after the Real Presence.
By using Transub. You can get all the Prots. to go after the Catholics and at the same time you can fly under the radar and argue against the Real Presence.

If the Real Presence is biblical, then why do you believe the Eucharist is symbolic?
I see, Real Presence then, In my case, isn't biblical to me. So I admit I've attacked both Transubstantiation and RP. But my original intention was to get only Transubstantiation, then on another thread, work on RP. But I got caught up in RP since I believe both are un-biblical. So you are correct in your analysis of this thread. Nevertheless, Transubstantiation is due to Aristotle's observations, and the naiveness of the two Catholics in taking on that doctrine.

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Transubstantiation is deemed "un-biblical"

agreed?

The Roman Catholic Church through history approached her faith life with the clarification of language. That is, she translated the essentials of revealed faith into the vocabulary of living language.
To the revealed Word that there is "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" the Church labeled the belief "Trinity."

To the revealed Word that the "Son of God became man" the Church labeled the belief "Incarnation."

To the revealed Word that the "blood of Christ spilled on Calvary saved us" the Church labeled the belief "Redemption."

To the revealed Word that "my flesh is true food, my blood is true drink" the Church labeled the belief "Transubstantiation."

Transubstantiation reflects Roman Catholic faith in the literalness of the words of the Bible.
Jesus (omnipotent God) said: "This is my body; this is my blood." And again Jesus said: "I am the bread of life;" "My flesh is true food; my blood is true drink;" "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood ...;" etc.
Roman Catholics take Jesus at His word: the bread is his body; the wine is his blood.
From the Apostles at the Last Supper until today, the bread and wine of Eucharist looks and feels and tastes like bread and wine in the eating and drinking.
Similar to all of God's Word, faith is essential. Faith in what? In the words of Jesus even though the bread does not look, feel, taste like flesh; even though the wine does not look, feel, taste like blood.
Medieval theologians sought simply to label this simple biblical faith: Jesus said that bread is his body and wine is his blood even though it did not appear to change into visible flesh and blood. Transubstantiation means the substance part of the bread and wine elements changes; but the accidental parts--sight, taste, smell, touch--do not. Catholics believe that since Jesus said it and He is God, he can do it. They believe! "Transubstantiation" merely labels it.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see, Real Presence then, In my case, isn't biblical to me. So I admit I've attacked both Transubstantiation and RP. But my original intention was to get only Transubstantiation, then on another thread, work on RP. But I got caught up in RP since I believe both are un-biblical. So you are correct in your analysis of this thread. Nevertheless, Transubstantiation is due to Aristotle's observations, and the naiveness of the two Catholics in taking on that doctrine.

CaliforniaJosiah, are you still reading?

In any case, St. John chapter 6. I rest my case.

And if Real Presence is Biblical (which it is), then by the fact that it is a type thereof, so is Transubstantiationism, as I argued right from the beginning.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
CaliforniaJosiah, are you still reading?
In any case, St. John chapter 6. I rest my case.

IF the subject of John 6 is the Eucharist (and you'd need to substantiate that), then it could be argued that John 6 is supporting Real Presence. Of course, that doctrine is not the subject of this thread.

There's NOTHING in John 6 that remotely substantiates the unique, new, Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation - NO MATTER WHAT the context.

IF you have any Scirpture(s) that substantiate the dogma that is the subject of this thread, please share it. We've been waiting for a very long time and now some 37 pages of posts for SOMEONE to offer SOMETHING. If you've got something, please share it.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus (omnipotent God) said: "This is my body; this is my blood." And again Jesus said: "I am the bread of life;" "My flesh is true food; my blood is true drink;" "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood ...;" etc.
Roman Catholics take Jesus at His word: the bread is his body; the wine is his blood.

Thank you for that good support for the Orthodox, Lutheran and sometimes Anglican and Methodist teaching vis-a-vis the Eucharist. But this thread isn't about that, it's about the unique, new Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation. What Scriptures do you have for that?

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sounds reasonable to me. What is Transubstantiation to you?

Explained in an earlier post when I addressed four various types of Real Presence theology.

IF the subject of John 6 is the Eucharist (and you'd need to substantiate that),

I have previously, here and elsewhere.

then it could be argued that John 6 is supporting Real Presence. Of course, that doctrine is not the subject of this thread.

Not according to the OP. :)

There's NOTHING in John 6 that remotely substantiates the unique, new, Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation - NO MATTER WHAT the context.

Since Transubstantiationism is a form of Real Presence,
Since Real Presence is Biblical,
Therefore, Transubstantiationism is Biblical.

The syllogism works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2 King

Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
The Real Presence of Christ is entirely Biblical, and is affirmed by Holy Tradition, before and after Holy Scripture's canonization, to be the the orthodox norm.

Transubstantiationism is merely a form in which Real Presence theology can take. If anything, Real Presence is an umbrella term to which many Eucharistic doctrines concerning Christ's physical and spiritual Presence apply to.

So if Real Presence is Biblical
And if Transubstantiationism is a form of Real Presence theology
Then it makes logical sense that Transubstantiationism is Biblical.

R -> B
T -> R
Therefore, T -> B

Now do I hold to that particular Real Presence theology? No, but I don't doubt its possibility. To me, it is a matter of pious opinion; even if it is wrong, I doubt Christ is going to go bananas over its adherence on Judgment Day.
Like so?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Let's very carefully look at the Eucharistic texts, noting carefully the words - what Jesus said and Paul penned, and equally what they did not.

Matthew 26:26-29

26. While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."
27. Then he took the cup (wine), gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you.
28. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
29. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine (wine) from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."

First Corinthians 11:23-29

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
24. and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."
25. In the same way, after supper he took the cup (wine), saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."
26. For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
27. Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
28. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.
29. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Now, lets look at three Eucharistic doctrines:

REAL PRESENCE: Orthodox, Catholic, Lutheran, some Anglicans and Methodist

Real Presence is:

1. Real Presence accepts the words of Jesus and Paul. Nothing added, nothing substracted.

2. Real Presence accepts that the meaning of is is is. This means that we receive Christ - quite literally, physically. When my pastor gives me the host, his exact words are: "Josiah, this IS the Body of Christ."

Real Presence is NOT..

1. Real Presence is not a dogmatic denial of the words "bread" and "wine" AFTER the consecration as if we must take a "half real/half symbolic" interpretation of the text. It simply regards such as moot. The point of Real Presense is the presence of CHRIST. It's not called, "The Denial of What Paul Wrote" because that's not what it is, it is the AFFIRMATION of what he penned, that CHRIST is present.

2. Real Presence is not a theory about anything or explanation regarding anything. It simply embraces EXACTLY and LITERALLY what Jesus said and Paul penned.

3. Real Presence doesn't teach or deny any "change." That word never appears in any Eucharistic text. Rather, it embraces what it IS - because that does appear in the texts and seems significant. "IS" means is - it has to do be BEING. If I say, This car is a Toyota, that doesn't imply that it was once a cow but the atoms were re-arranged so that now it is a Toyota. Accepting, "This is a Toyota" means we accept this is a Toyota.

Now, without a doubt, the faith and conviction raises some questions. But Real Presence has always regarded all this to be MYSTERY. How it happens, Why it happens, exactly What happens - it doesn't matter. We believe because Jesus said and Paul so penned by inspiration. That's good enough for the Orthodox and Lutherans, as well as many Anglicans and Methodist. And was for the RCC until 1551 when the RCC alone dogmatized a second view about the Eucharist, one that this thread has powerfully revealed has absolutely no biblical confirmation.

Orthodox, Lutherans and some Anglicans and Methodist embrace Real Presense. The Catholic Church does too but it has been entirely buried under it's own unique new secondary dogma, that of Transubstantiation, so much so that many Catholics I've found don't even know what Real Presence is, only the new unique RCC second dogma.

TRANSUBSTANTIATION: Catholic Church, dogmatically since 1551

This is another Eucharistic dogma of The Catholic Church (alone).

The Mystery of Real Presense does raise some questions (unanswered by Scripture or the ECF). All regarded these as just that - questions (and entirely moot ones at that), until western Catholic "Scholasticism" arose in the middle ages. It was focused on combining Christian thought with secular ideas - in the hopes of making Christianity more intellectual and even more to explain away some of its mysteries. It eventually came up with several theories about the Eucharist. One of these was "Transubstantiation."

Although no one claims there's any biblical confirmation of this, and while all admit it lacks any ecumenical or historic embrace, it should be noted that there are a FEW snippets from RCC "Fathers" that speak of "change." But, while Orthodox, Lutherans and others are comfortable with that word, it doesn't imply any transubstantiation.

"Transubstantiation" is a very precise, technical term from alchemy. It is the term for alchemy. You'll recall from high school chemistry class that alchemy was the dream that, via incantions and the use of chemicals and herbs, fundamental substance (we'll call such elements) may be transformed from one to entirely others (lead to gold was the typical objective). These western, medieval, Catholic "Scholastics" theorized that the Consecration is an alchemic transubstantiation.

This, however, caused a bit of a problem because in alchemy, the transubstantiated substance normally would have the properties of the NEW substance, and one of the "questions" of Real Presense is why it still has the properties of bread and wine. Here these western, medival Catholic theorists turned to another pop idea of the day: Accidents. This came hook, line and sinker from Aristotle. He theorized that substance could have properties (he called them "accidents" - it's a very precise term for his theory) that are entirely unrelated to the substance. Sometimes called "ghost physics," the one part of his theory of "accidents" seemed especially useful to these medieval Catholic theorists. He stated that properties of one thing could CONTINUE after the actual causative substannce ceased. His example was lightening. Seeing the connection between lightening and thunder, but knowing nothing of wave physics, he taught that the SOUND of lightening continues long after the lightening ceased to exist: this is an "accident." This, then , is what we have in the Eucharist: ACCIDENTS of bread and wine (since, in transubstantiation, bread and wine no longer exist in any real physics sense - it was transubstantiated). No one claims that this has any biblical confirmation or that the RCC "father" referenced Aristotle's Accidents - even as pure theoretical pious opinion.

In Catholicism, there are TWO dogmas vis-a-vis the Eucharist: Real Presence and Transubstantiation. The later was first suggested in the 9th century and made dogma in 1551 (a bit after Luther's death), some say in order to anathematize Luther on the Eucharist since he did not affirm such. Luther regarded it as abiblical, textually problemmatic and unnecessary.

SYMBOLIC PRESENCE: Many Protestant denominations

Look again at the Eucharistic texts. An important aspect is (with apologies to Bill Clinton), what the meaning of "is" is....

While Real Presence was nearly univeral, there have always been those few with "questions" that made this doctrine problemmatic for them. The mystery was difficult for them to embrace. This became far more common beinging in the 16th century. Some said that Christ CANNOT be present in the Eucharist because He is in heaven and CANNOT be here - physically anyway. To them, "is" cannot mean "is" - it MUST be a metaphor, it must actually mean "symbolize." Metaphor is certainly not unknown in Scripture, the question becomes: is that the case HERE?

But a "symobolic" presence does NOT imply merely a metaphor. Some stress that in the Eucharist, Christ IS "present" but not PHYSICALLY. It's more than in the usual sense of "I am with you always" but not in the sense of "Real Presence."

This view stresses the "Remember me...." concept. They tend to see the Eucharist as an ordinance (something we do for God) rather than as a Sacrament (something God does for us).

MY view:

Symbolic:

I use to hold this view. While I'm always reluntant to not take God at His word, this HAD to be a metaphor. Two things dissuaded me.

1. IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the text above, we read First Corinthians 11:27-30. To me, this makes moot at best and probably problematic for a symbolic view.

2. I came to understand that this veiw, while not entirely unheard of, had very little historic or ecumenical consensus. While it is a POSSIBLE interpretation (and thus I do NOT regard as it "heretical" and respect those who hold this view), it has no historic or ecumenical support.

Transubstantiation:

I learned of this during my Catholic days. For a time, I embraced it, but as I came to understand it, I rejected it, primarily for 4 reasons:

1. It is entirely atextual. The Eucharistic texts say NOTHING of alchemy or Aristotle's accidents. The texts never even mention "change." The words "is" signify being, not alchemy.

2. It is entirely unnecessary. It accomplishes nothing. It only makes Real Presence dependent upon a long ago forgotten and rejected pre-science dream and a theory of Aristotle, long ago rejected in physics. but its unnecessary and accomplishes nothing but problems. It's goal of explaining away the Mystery doesn't work - and suggests that we should accept what Jesus said and Paul penned because Alchemy and Aristotle seem to support it (these Catholic Scholastics theorized).

3. It creates textual difficulties. Paul actually mentions "bread" and "wine" FAR MORE OFTEN after the Consecration than before it. But Transubstantiation requires that we ignore such, and regard such as "Aristotelian accidents." The word "is" in the texts must be deleted and replaced with, "hereby undergoes an alchemic transubstantion" and each time "bread" and "wine" appear in the text, we must insert, "the Aristotelian Accident of...." It requires the same "split" interpretation that symbolic presence does: HALF of the time, the words mean what they are, and HALF of the time they mean something symbolic. MIXED interpretations in a sentence is usually associated with a problematic hermeneutic.

4. This lacks any historic or ecumenical support. It was invented in the 9th century by western Catholic "Scholastics" as just one possible theory to explain away the Mystery.

Real Presence:

I learned of this view in my religion studies as a part of my high school education, largely from Lutheranism. It seems very textual to me, and it has solid historic and ecumenical embrace.

I totally admit it raises questions and IS a "mystery." But, like Christians for the past 2000 years, I lay such aside: along with how God can be three yet one, how Jesus can be both God and man, and a whole lot of other mysteries. I really don't understand exactly WHAT Christ being physically present means in terms of PHYSICS (my college degree is in physics), but it seems to ME - in the light of 1 Corinthians 11:23-30 - this is the correct view, and it has come to be powerfully spiritual and significant to me.

The question of this thread is specific and singular: The biblical confirmation for the unique, new, Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation. Does Scriptures confirm this dogma - or not? THAT is the sole question of this thread. After 37 pages of posts, we're still waiting for our Catholic friends to share a single Scripture. As of yet, none has been offered. Perhaps we all have the answer to the question?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"snip"

.......The question of this thread is specific and singular: The biblical confirmation for the unique, new, Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation. Does Scriptures confirm this dogma - or not? THAT is the sole question of this thread. After 37 pages of posts, we're still waiting for our Catholic friends to share a single Scripture.

As of yet, none has been offered. Perhaps we all have the answer to the question?
Really? Are you sure?

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

TRANSUBSTANTIATION: Catholic Church, dogmatically since 1551

This is another Eucharistic dogma of The Catholic Church (alone).

:doh:

The Orthodox Confession of 1640 reads --
"Christ is now in heaven only and not on earth after that manner of the flesh wherein He bore it and lived in it when He was on earth; but after the sacramental manner, whereby He is present in the Holy Eucharist, the same Son of God, God and Man, is also on earth by way of TRANSUBSTANTIATION [kata metousiosis]. For the SUBSTANCE of the bread is changed into the SUBSTANCE of His holy body, and the SUBSTANCE of the wine into the SUBSTANCE of His precious blood.
"Where it is fitting to WORSHIP and ADORE the Holy Eucharist even as our Savior Jesus Himself.
"The priest must know that at the moment when he consecrates the gifts the SUBSTANCE itself of the bread and the SUBSTANCE of the wine are changed into the SUBSTANCE of the real body and blood of Christ through the operation of the Holy Ghost, whom the priest invokes at that time, consecrating this mystery by praying and saying,
'Send down Thy Holy Ghost on us and on these gifts set before Thee, and make this bread the precious body of Thy Christ and that which is in this cup the precious blood of Thy Christ, changing them by Thy Holy Ghost.'
"For immediately after these words the TRANSUBSTANTIATION [metousiosis] takes place, and that bread is changed into the real body of Christ, and the wine into His real blood. ONLY THE SPECIES WHICH ARE SEEN REMAIN, and this by the ordinance of God, first, that we may not see the body of Christ, but may believe that it is there....
"The honor which it is fitting to give to these awful mysteries is of such a kind as that which is given to Christ Himself....This mystery is also OFFERED AS A SACRIFICE on behalf of all orthodox Christians, both the living AND THOSE WHO SLEEP in hope of a resurrection to eternal life; and the SACRIFICE shall never fail until the last Judgment.
"The fruits of this mystery are these: first, the commemoration of the sinless passion and death of Christ....secondly....this mystery is a PROPITIATION AND ATONEMENT WITH GOD FOR OUR SINS BOTH OF THE LIVING AND OF THE DEAD....thirdly....that each Christian who shall frequent this SACRIFICE and partake of this mystery may be delivered by means of it from the temptation and danger of the devil." (Stone, page 177f)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.