• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

is this aspergers, and what prospects relationally?

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks as it seems there are degrees of the condition I am not sure were I would be, or even if it helps to know. I did and sometimes still do have a problem with figuring out peoples intentions occasionally, or knowing what people want. For instance if someone asks "can you help us?" I would be hesitant. It seems to me at times people just can't get to the point, or else they had nothing much to say to start with, or don't know what they want to ask.

There are times when it is not possible to 'help', and it's not defiance, or rebelliousness.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am not, at least officially, an Aspie. However I know several, through both church and work. The adults that I know are married. The kids are at too early a stage, but I'm guessing at least some of them will be.

The most seriously affected of the kids had problems figuring out what was going on with others, as you report. However he got treatment. As I understand it (not having had it myself), treatment is pretty much education and training. There's no drug that's going to make you understand how to work with other people. It really helped with him. In 8th grade Sunday School I had to have a high school kid pretty much permanently watching him, and several times I had to explain things to him, the other kids, or both. By the end of high school he interacted with others just fine. I'm pretty sure the condition didn't go away. He had just learned how to read people.

Even through the time when he was the most seriously affected he had at least one really close friendship.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, since it is a syndrome, not an identity, I don't see any point in labeling myself - 'aspie' or anything else, if I am in fact a christian. I wonder if psychological labeling inhibits the grace and power of God in a persons life?

In christian marriage a man and woman ask for and receive the grace of God. This would surely be an incommensurable help to both and enable greater understanding, is my thinking.

I tend to think my main difficulty is with depression, and some dissociative aspects connected with that perhaps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My apologies. I used the term. I didn't intend any kind of major labeling. I used it as an abbreviation for person with Asperger's. Many of the participants here use it.

Labels can be useful, because it identifies a group of people for whom we know certain things that can help them. But that doesn't mean that everyone around you needs to think of you that way. There's no particular reason that others need to know, or even would be interested in knowing, unless you find it helpful.

I know people who have Asperger's because they identify themselves, or their parents do (though much of the time I've already guessed it). Those that I know don't go around talking about themselves as Aspies all the time. In both cases the adults mentioned in in the course of conversations about their kids having been identified. For one of them, I wouldn't have recognized the adult on my own. For the other it was helpful, because he has at times said things that I would have considered pretty rude. But knowing what I do about him, I realize he was just being honest, and that's perfectly OK.

Similarly, for most of the kids it really doesn't matter, and I doubt most people around them know or would care. For one it was really useful, because he needed to be treated specially. Not a problem. He was (and is) a really nice guy. But now and then he'd get inappropriate reactions from other kids who didn't know how to read him (or that he didn't read correctly). It worked really well to say "you noticed that X was about to get into a fist fight with you, right? Here's what you said, and why he interpreted it the way he did. Please do this instead." He was pretty good about accepting that kind of guidance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanMaloney

ordinary sinner
Apr 20, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People reading this don't know me obviously, but I wanted to ask a question.
Is it possible for someone with Aspergers to maintain a serious relationship, or even marriage?

Yup! Indeed, there's something remarkably attractive about an Aspie man to some women, I've discovered. It's the combination of cognitive brilliance plus great social awkwardness. If you acknowledge the awkwardness, you become "cute". Now, extending that to a long-term relationship is a bigger challenge. Probably explains why I've been divorced and remarried.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanMaloney

ordinary sinner
Apr 20, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, since it is a syndrome, not an identity, I don't see any point in labeling myself - 'aspie' or anything else, if I am in fact a christian. I wonder if psychological labeling inhibits the grace and power of God in a persons life?

Are you a "man"? Are you an "American"? I'm both of those, and a Christian, and an aspie. I'm also a southpaw, a father, a nerd, and a baritone. Am I an inferior Christian because I also call myself a baritone?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a real old thread. I don't really understand what you mean to be honest.

No I wouldn't if I had 'aspergers' - identify or define myself with a condition or syndrome, as its not my true self as a christian - faith in Christ is what defines me. The shorthand "aspie" is really not a good way to think, even in any condition. For instance with depression, its really in many cases a lowering of ones mental / emotional tone. There would be no point if I wanted to experience a substantial recovery calling myself a "depressive" - as it was not something I always had, and not something I will always be experiencing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanMaloney

ordinary sinner
Apr 20, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is a real old thread. I don't really understand what you mean to be honest.

No I wouldn't if a had 'aspergers' - identify or define myself with a condition or syndrome, as its not my true self as a christian - faith in Christ is what defines me. The shorthand "aspie" is really not a good way to think, even in any condition. For instance with depression, its really in many cases a lowering of ones mental / emotional tone. There would be no point if I wanted to experience a substantial recovery calling myself a "depressive" - as it was not something I always had, and not something I will always be experiencing.

That's because you see me as a diseased thing and the wiring of my nervous system as a flaw--something to shame me. I ACTUALLY LIVE WITH IT! And I see it as no more than saying "I am a baritone." But I'm just an aspie, a broken, diseased thing, so my perspective doesn't matter, right? The perspective of someone who is not merely idly speculating FROM THE OUTSIDE is meaningless, right?

• Agree
Reactions: Amittai
Upvote 0

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for commenting on the thread I started, its an old one so I won't be replying much.

I didn't understand what you wrote that was all.

No baritone doesn't make anyone less of a christian or nor does aspergers syndrome. I don't see the connection in any case.

But you don't understand my difficulties either presumably being on the outside. Or how having it suggested I might be on this Autism - Aspergers Spectrum with no idea when that could be confirmed because so many people want checked out by mental health merely for feeling their clothing tags a bit scratchy, or not liking balloons bursting, or reading something someone described on the Internet.

So no I don't see people claiming to be Aspie as diseased.

Im a bit awkward socially, and have spoken to a qualified psychiatrist about it and they don't know for sure. I had a severe head impact from a fall when I was about ten years old, once from a loss of balance, and once from being pushed over someones back - the incident was when someone crouched behind me, and another pushed me unawares and I went over their back and the back of my head hit compacted ground first!

But I can't hang a label on it - does that make me a worse christian. ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanMaloney

ordinary sinner
Apr 20, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
First, Asperger's (actually, Asperger's is an obsolete category, it's now "Autism Spectrum") is not a mental health issue AT ALL. It is 100% neurological. Anyone who tells you it is "mental health" has no understanding of it. That being said, mental health professionals can be very helpful at dealing with living in a non-Spectrum world, like they can be helpful to non-Spectrum people dealing with their own difficulties that aren't Spectrum-related. Now, currently, all diagnosis of Autism Spectrum are done on a behavioral basis, but that's because the behavior reflects the nervous system structure.

However, Autism Spectrum is not a mental illness. It's a neurological state. If it's extreme enough, then it can pose severe problems. If met with uncharitability and judgmentalism, it's the uncharitability and judgmentalism that actually cause the problems. As I've said many times over the years, I do not suffer from Asperger's syndrome. I suffer from how people treat me because my brain doesn't function like theirs.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Offeiriad

Christian Spiritual Guide
Jun 25, 2012
France
✟22,653.00
Country
France
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm an Aspie, and I'm married to one, and we're still married after over 30 years. We've had our ups and downs, and if we'd both understood the issues earlier we'd have trodden on each other's emotional toes less often, but we're together, and we're happy!

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...actually, Asperger's is an obsolete category, it's now "Autism Spectrum..."
In contemporary [read: DSM-V] terms, Asperger's remains a colloquialism for violet autism, that is, autism with no cognitive deficits. Kanner's (or classic autism) remains a colloquialism for red autism; autism with profound cognitive deficits. By definition, colloquialisms are not formal, but they are more descriptive/specific, like red and violet are more specific than "rainbow."

The DSM-V didn't eradicate these distinctions. It only consolidated them (to a single entry of diagnoses).

Dr. Lorna Wing* said:
...Yet while welcoming the growing acceptance that those with autism may have much to contribute to society, Wing worries that this may detract from the needs of those at the lower end of the spectrum. She says: "Youngsters with Asperger's syndrome are speaking up for themselves. Many see it as a difference not a disability, but that is a good and bad thing. For those with classic autism – like my Susie – it certainly is a disability."
*Dr. Wing was the one who proposed that it was a spectrum in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanMaloney

ordinary sinner
Apr 20, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In contemporary [read: DSM-V] terms, Asperger's remains a colloquialism for violet autism, that is, autism with no cognitive deficits. Kanner's (or classic autism) remains a colloquialism for red autism; autism with profound cognitive deficits. By definition, colloquialisms are not formal, but they are more descriptive/specific, like red and violet are more specific than "rainbow."

The DSM-V didn't eradicate these distinctions. It only consolidated them (to a single entry of diagnoses).

*Dr. Wing was the one who proposed that it was a spectrum in the first place.

There is no such thing as "violet autism" except in the minds of la-la-la-la-la-loopy sorts who put as much stock in pop-psych crap as in real neuroscience. This "violet autism" does not exist. "Asperger's" DOES NOT EXIST as a "colloquialism" or anything else in the DSM-V. Point out where it is mentioned in the DSM-V. Likewise, "red autism" DOES NOT EXIST. It's another bit of made-up crap from people who have no actual experience as neuroscientists. I live in the real world, like most of us on the spectrum do. This "red" and "violet" crap is okay for lalalalalalalalalalalalloooooooopy sorts, of course.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no such thing as "violet autism..."
This "violet autism" does not exist...
Likewise, "red autism" DOES NOT EXIST...
If that were true, then autism could not be considered a spectrum. (The colors, obviously, are being used as analogies.)

Even our perception of the rainbow is an anthropocentric interpretation due to the construction of our eyes, but it is a shared perception.

Last edited:
Upvote 0