✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TeddyKGB said:
I don't think it's so much trying to turn Christmas into something completely different, more like trying to make the time of year more inclusive.

Yup - Walmart wants your money too. :wave:

Upvote 0

cwolf20

Huggee Of haL
Nov 23, 2005
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,363.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
it's holiday bonus now at most places
and there's a marked rise in Holiday trees, while Christmas trees seem to be disappearing

A person got fired at a department store 30 minutes away from here because he said "Merry Christmas". The policy is that you cannot say any holiday greetings if you work there.

TeddyKGB said:
and why we blow our Christmas bonuses on sweaters for our cousins.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
cwolf20 said:
it's holiday bonus now at most places
and there's a marked rise in Holiday trees, while Christmas trees seem to be disappearing
How can you tell the difference when they're in someone's home?
A person got fired at a department store 30 minutes away from here because he said "Merry Christmas". The policy is that you cannot say any holiday greetings if you work there.

Ridiculous, if true.

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
HeyHomie said:
I think it's just a PC-minded, cowardly attempt to avoid recognizing the holiday we're all celebrating, in an attempt to not offend the one person out of 100 who might get offended by the word "Christmas."

That's why I get annoyed (not offended, just annoyed) over "Holiday" trees, "Holiday" sales, etc. It's CHRISTMAS. Plain and simple. No need to try to deny it or hem and haw about it, just admit it and move on. BFD.

Except that it's NOT just Christmas. There is Hannukah, Ramadan, Yule, Kwaanza, and probably a number of other holidays that I'm not familiar with. 99% of the American public does not celebrate Christmas.

Do private businesses not have the right to use whatever language they wish when referring to holidays? Or do you think that the language police should come around and force them to say "Merry Christmas"? Because, no private business is forced to say "Happy Holidays"; they do so as a business decision, in an effort to include as many people as possible. Why only include Christmas shoppers, when you can also include Kwaana, Hannukah, and Yule shoppers, as well? The argument seems to be that places should be forced to refer only to Christmas, and not allowed to make their own choices about what language to use. THAT is political correctness, and THAT is being the language police, not the idea that businesses will make marketing decisions in order to draw in the most customers.

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
cwolf20 said:

Did that actually happen? That kind of breach in policy would warrant a warning, not being fired. I'd be extremely, extremely surprised to find out it was true.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uphill Battle said:
not really. I wish my Jewish friends a happy Hannukah... those who celebrate Kwanza a happy Kwanza, etc....

That's not what I was reffering to. I meant at stores and stuff. As a cashier, you don't necessarily know what a customer celebrates, so "Happy Holidays" covers it all.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
trunks2k said:
That's not what I was reffering to. I meant at stores and stuff. As a cashier, you don't necessarily know what a customer celebrates, so "Happy Holidays" covers it all.

oh, sure, you can count on corporations to be business savvy and P.C. it doesn't just extend to businesses though.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
trunks2k said:
But Christmas isn't the only holiday in December. You've got New Years, Hanuka (spelled incredibly wrong), Kwanzica, and I think an Islamic holiday in there as well. "Happy Holidays" is more accurate.

Since the Islamic calendar is lunar, Ramadan/Eid al Fitrwas in December a few years back. Now, it's movin on up and we don't have any holidays in December. But, give it a few years, and Eid al Adhu will be in December. Yaay, an Eid tree :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
HeyHomie said:
That's why I get annoyed (not offended, just annoyed) over "Holiday" trees, "Holiday" sales, etc. It's CHRISTMAS. Plain and simple. No need to try to deny it or hem and haw about it, just admit it and move on. BFD.

It is Christmas, but it's also Kwanza, Winter Solstice, Hanukkah and for me, a non religious winter celebration in which I put up lights, make snowman cookies and drink eggnog. We're not an exclusively a christian society, and our winter holiday season isn't the exlcusive property of christians.

Reactions: xMinionX
Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
rahma said:
It is Christmas, but it's also Kwanza, Winter Solstice, Hanukkah and for me, a non religious winter celebration in which I put up lights, make snowman cookies and drink eggnog. We're not an exclusively a christian society, and our winter holiday season isn't the exlcusive property of christians.

I find it funny, interesting, and a bit dishonest how people who do not think Christmas is a good thing, still try to jump up on that bandwaggon to reap the pleasant sides associated with Christmas!:doh:

(Hanukkah obviously not falling into thsi scheme but merely being coincidentally timed at the same time as Christmas for a few thousand of years!;) )

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Rochir said:
I find it funny, interesting, and a bit dishonest how people who do not think Christmas is a good thing, still try to jump up on that bandwaggon to reap the pleasant sides associated with Christmas!:doh:

(Hanukkah obviously not falling into thsi scheme but merely being coincidentally timed at the same time as Christmas for a few thousand of years!;) )

I thought Christmas was about Jesus' birth :scratch: Since when did Christmas have a monopoly on snowmen, sugar cookies and twinkly lights? If I have mandatory days off from work at the end of December (and my place of employment is closed, so I couldn't come in even if I wanted to), why can't I celebrate God's beautiful snow with some candy canes and twinkly lights?

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
rahma said:
...why can't I celebrate God's beautiful snow with some candy canes and twinkly lights?

If God's beautiful snow fell in Pakistan (where indeed it is falling now) and you lived there, would you also "celebrate" with sugar cookies and twinkly lights?

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Rochir said:
If God's beautiful snow fell in Pakistan (where indeed it is falling now) and you lived there, would you also "celebrate" with sugar cookies and twinkly lights?

Of course I would. I love snow :clap: I save candy canes so I can eat them whenever it snows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
loriersea said:
Personally, I think that is the kind of problem you want to have. ;) I mean, seriously, if your "persecution" consists of store clerks cheerfully saying "Happy Holidays" to you, you are pretty darn lucky.

I think the entire idea of complaining about this is absurd. If someone wishes you well, then you should be thankful, and wish them well in return. It is beyond self-centered to pout because someone didn't offer you good wishes in exactly the way you'd like them to have offered them.

Exactly, cry me a river already.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
trunks2k said:
Have you seen the one this year, with the two rabbi's that are singing a "Chrismahankwanzika Carol" about a dredel made out of pork? It's hillarious.

:D :D Well I haven't even seen that or whatever other(s) existed but this:

two rabbi's that are singing a "Chrismahankwanzika Carol" about a dredel made out of pork?

Made me burst out in laughter. :D :D

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
cwolf20 said:

Sounds like an urban myth. If you had internet access, you could post a link.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
:D :D Well I haven't even seen that or whatever other(s) existed but this:

two rabbi's that are singing a "Chrismahankwanzika Carol" about a dredel made out of pork?

Made me burst out in laughter. :D :D
http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/

Click on "The Jews" on the left. And I was wrong, the dreidle is made out of non-pork meat.

You can hear the original song lyrics by clicking on "Angel" but it's not the original commercial.

Upvote 0