Is there two set of rules one in church and one in the world?

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have always felt that and it's taught at an early age. The teaching is to "be on our best behavior" when at church, but as soon as it's over we return to normal. As an adult and leading the youth group now I want to set a good example, so there is a filter when Im around. I dont talk or joke the same way, I choose my words much more carefully.

Does this make me a hypocrite...probably so. I am convinced I should be the same person I am both inside and outside of church, but with a filter on, am I?

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... Does this make me a hypocrite...probably so...
Not convinced it is hypocricy, but that depends on what it is that you do that would qualify as such. Our pastor and I have said things to each other we would not say in mixed company, or in an open service at Church. Someone would have to really try to convince us it is hypocricy to have a different standard... Has to do with LIBERTY in Christ.

Galatians 2
4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
This cannot be said of ALL BEHAVIOR, though. It is possible to do what you are concerned about, or that you question here. If you really consider these things SIN, you may have a specific thing to bring to the LORD in prayer. Otherwise, it may be a matter of having liberty, but not wishing to offend anyone in your exercise of liberty.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have always felt that and it's taught at an early age. The teaching is to "be on our best behavior" when at church, but as soon as it's over we return to normal. As an adult and leading the youth group now I want to set a good example, so there is a filter when Im around. I dont talk or joke the same way, I choose my words much more carefully.

Does this make me a hypocrite...probably so. I am convinced I should be the same person I am both inside and outside of church, but with a filter on, am I?

I agree many people act one way in church and another in the world.

But lets say God say thou shall not steal, did He mean just in church? Are there commandments God which we are to obey in church but can disregard in the world?

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not convinced it is hypocricy, but that depends on what it is that you do that would qualify as such. Our pastor and I have said things to each other we would not say in mixed company, or in an open service at Church. Someone would have to really try to convince us it is hypocricy to have a different standard... Has to do with LIBERTY in Christ.

Galatians 2
4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
This cannot be said of ALL BEHAVIOR, though. It is possible to do what you are concerned about, or that you question here. If you really consider these things SIN, you may have a specific thing to bring to the LORD in prayer. Otherwise, it may be a matter of having liberty, but not wishing to offend anyone in your exercise of liberty.

But does God not command us time and time again to follow after Him not just in church but in the world?

Does God not see all, so even what you think you do out of God's sight you are not out of God's sight.

Of course there are things not to do while the preacher is preaching, But I am not speaking of service going on, but people tend to act on way when entering the church and another when leaving it, is this no hypocrisy? How is it not?

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But does God not command us time and time again to follow after Him not just in church but in the world?
Are you only speaking of things that qualify as NOT FOLLOWING JESUS? There are many things people do when they are not around ANYONE that they would NOT DO if they were around someone else. I am not expecting it is a blanket rule to say and do EVERYTHING in Church that would do anywhere else.

Of course there are things not to do while the preacher is preaching, But I am not speaking of service going on, but people tend to act on way when entering the church and another when leaving it, is this no hypocrisy? How is it not?
People typically dress differently for different situations. That could be considered hypocritical if this is taken beyond the matter of what qualifies as Following Christ.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think James 1 might grant us some definitive clarity:

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

[...]

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are you only speaking of things that qualify as NOT FOLLOWING JESUS? There are many things people do when they are not around ANYONE that they would NOT DO if they were around someone else. I am not expecting it is a blanket rule to say and do EVERYTHING in Church that would do anywhere else.

People typically dress differently for different situations. That could be considered hypocritical if this is taken beyond the matter of what qualifies as Following Christ.

i would not know, I wear jeans and tee shirts to most things including church i only wear a suit when required. Is it not hypocritical to put on your best suit go to church come home put on jeans and tee and act like your no child of God util next Sunday. I would appreciated if you could just answer the question or at least the op question which is, is there two sets of rules?

Upvote 0

iLove

Jan 3, 2013
✟28,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every Christian should choose revelation over information. Jesus said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Revelation 18:23 says it like this, "Satan has deceived all nations by sorcery and witchcraft!" Many Christians have been deceived and only eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Satan knows when a Christian is a friend of the world he becomes a enemy of God. So he deceived Christians by sending the two kingdoms into conflict. This also includes mixing grace and law.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think James 1 might grant us some definitive clarity:

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

[...]

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

this is why i don't like the NIV. lets look at the NLT.

5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.

i find that easier to understand.

But the second part you quoted it seem God commands us to obey in church and in the world is this right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Every Christian should choose revelation over information. Jesus said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Revelation 18:23 says it like this, "Satan has deceived all nations by sorcery and witchcraft!" Many Christians have been deceived and only eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Satan knows when a Christian is a friend of the world he becomes a enemy of God. So he deceived Christians by sending the two kingdoms into conflict. This also includes mixing grace and law.

????:confused:

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

:smirk:
This is the Baptist forum.....
:smirk:

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Blue, Yes. We don't take communion outside church... Never done it anywhere else, nor should it be.

Until the 20th century, Preaching was a church service only event.... sometimes a soapbox. Still believe church is the proper place for this.

Scripture really doesn't give us real eye into Church service. The first one recorded about had a sermon, then dismissed non-believer so the believers could take the Lord's Supper and sing to God.

Before the printing press you came to church to hear the word. Frankly that is the main criteria for Christians to do. Hear the word, meditate on what they heard, and live accordingly.

So church is for us to come and hear the word proclaimed. To worship as a body. You can not do these in the world.... as a body.

Also we don't go into church to play sports, whereas in the world we can.

Blue, its a good question that people should ask themselves. I think people will often quote verses that say nothing about church and then imply it is for the church. I wear blue jeans to church too. Always have since I was little. At the church I attend now, there are far more suits and old people. And there is far more proclamation of the gospel.

So my last thing that should be done in church that the odds are a majority of Baptist churches aren't doing, is proclaiming the gospel every week. And that should be done weekly.

Again... no trying to be divisive.... my wording may sound that way, but not trying to be. Like you. Just passionate.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But the second part you quoted it seem God commands us to obey in church and in the world is this right?

That's my understanding, yes. A lot of folks get church confused with Church...Church is simply the Body of Christ, which is all of the elect. It's not a place you go to do something, it's a state of being.

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think for a lot of people that there are definitely 2 different standards of how you act and talk in church versus in the world.
Should there be? I think NO - but people generally hold themselves to a higher standard at church than they do outside.
This Wednesday, one of our members was leading prayer service and I specifically wondered if he talked that way all the time. His words were very formal and a little stiff and it seemed obvious he prepared what he had to say. It felt a bit fake.
One thing that bothers me is when you hear adults or youth using language in the church that normally has not been acceptable. On a few occasions, I have heard kids say "Oh my ---" in a church setting and no one seemed to be bothered but me.
I think one problem is that parents and other Christians set standards of what they expect in church, but don't hold that same standard outside. As for my family, my kids know that it is never acceptable to curse or take the Lord's name in vain. The only "On my ---" that is acceptable to me is "Oh my goodness." At our house, the bad "D" and "S" words were considered to be "dumb" and "stupid." In fact we actually had to meet with a teacher at our son's preschool to explain that when he told the teacher he was thinking the "D" and "S" words about other kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thinking about what is acceptable in church versus outside:
- Would you be comfortable watching a movie like 50 Shades of Gray in a church auditorium?
- Would certain ads like those by Trojan, Carl's Jr./Hardees, or alcohol/beer commercials be OK to watch between portions of a church service?
- Would you watch some of your favorite TV shows in a church environment?
- Would you be comfortable with your Pastor attending ALL of the social events that you do?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about "rules", but there are social standards that are different. For instance, kids. I let my kids run through the house, but not at church. They are loud at home, but not at church. But that's not just at church. It's at the store as well.

Unless there are some specific "rules" the OP has in mind, I'd say that there will always be different behaviors at church than there are at home.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Blue, Yes. We don't take communion outside church... Never done it anywhere else, nor should it be.

Until the 20th century, Preaching was a church service only event.... sometimes a soapbox. Still believe church is the proper place for this.

Scripture really doesn't give us real eye into Church service. The first one recorded about had a sermon, then dismissed non-believer so the believers could take the Lord's Supper and sing to God.

Before the printing press you came to church to hear the word. Frankly that is the main criteria for Christians to do. Hear the word, meditate on what they heard, and live accordingly.

So church is for us to come and hear the word proclaimed. To worship as a body. You can not do these in the world.... as a body.

Also we don't go into church to play sports, whereas in the world we can.

Blue, its a good question that people should ask themselves. I think people will often quote verses that say nothing about church and then imply it is for the church. I wear blue jeans to church too. Always have since I was little. At the church I attend now, there are far more suits and old people. And there is far more proclamation of the gospel.

So my last thing that should be done in church that the odds are a majority of Baptist churches aren't doing, is proclaiming the gospel every week. And that should be done weekly.

Again... no trying to be divisive.... my wording may sound that way, but not trying to be. Like you. Just passionate.

so your answer is yes two sets of rules? Sorry i don't really get your argument. Communion can be taken any where and I have taken it out side of church. ANd sports is not a law or rule is it. Two say the world is different than church well no kidding but the question really is is the church different than the world?

Do you not worry about people cursing God because of you? The Jews use to do the same thing have two sets of rules and Paul said people cursed God because of them. The Jews used to say they could not take anything offered to a false god. Yet the would take small idols of the false god made out of silver or gold as payment for something, they would just melt down the gold or silver. Paul really addressed this with them. SO Paul really believed in one set of rules, what do you say to that? That people are sinning by having two sets of rules?

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's my understanding, yes. A lot of folks get church confused with Church...Church is simply the Body of Christ, which is all of the elect. It's not a place you go to do something, it's a state of being.

Yes that is true. Thank you I agree we are to follow God both in worship and in the world. Abraham followed God is daily life he did not take part with what was going on in the world. This is true with Noah as well. There is a lesson in the story of Noah, he did not partake in the world and was rewarded for it.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think for a lot of people that there are definitely 2 different standards of how you act and talk in church versus in the world.
Should there be? I think NO - but people generally hold themselves to a higher standard at church than they do outside.
This Wednesday, one of our members was leading prayer service and I specifically wondered if he talked that way all the time. His words were very formal and a little stiff and it seemed obvious he prepared what he had to say. It felt a bit fake.
One thing that bothers me is when you hear adults or youth using language in the church that normally has not been acceptable. On a few occasions, I have heard kids say "Oh my ---" in a church setting and no one seemed to be bothered but me.
I think one problem is that parents and other Christians set standards of what they expect in church, but don't hold that same standard outside. As for my family, my kids know that it is never acceptable to curse or take the Lord's name in vain. The only "On my ---" that is acceptable to me is "Oh my goodness." At our house, the bad "D" and "S" words were considered to be "dumb" and "stupid." In fact we actually had to meet with a teacher at our son's preschool to explain that when he told the teacher he was thinking the "D" and "S" words about other kids.

That is great and I agree. There can only be one set of rules, either we follow God or we don't its not a part time, ok today i will follow God tomorrow i won't. Would people want God to say Ok today your in hell but tomorrow heaven and maybe next day hell again? No they would be shocked so why do they worship God this way?

Do you think people who hold to a two rule set have a hypocritical view on life? I have heard people say its not hypocritical view, but i don't see how it is not.

Upvote 0