JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are there any CF friends out there who actually identify as a Progressive Adventist? I feel like this forum has become an exact replica of the traditional Adventist forum. I love my church family members, whatever their viewpoint. But I'm feeling a little lonely in my perspective. Anybody out there?

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi there Jojo!

Long time no see! :)

Do I identify as a progressive adventist? To be honest I'm not very fond of giving myself labels, and my answer kind of depends on what you mean with "progressive". I'm a conservative when it comes to lifestyle issues, progressive when it comes to prophecy, liberal when it comes to women's rights; traditional when it comes to Salvation by Faith alone and the Primacy of Scripture, and finally a literalist when it comes to creation. Also, I'm non-partisan with leftist sympathies when it comes to politics.

Clear as mud, no? ;)

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Jojo,

Your professor and I would probably agree that labels can be tricky, sometimes multiple labels are needed in order to describe our positions with accuracy! :)

Anyways, I guess you're right that this subforum has been neglected lately. I'll try to post more often here from now on. As a people I believe that we need to have our feathers roused from time to time, sometimes we need to challenge orthodoxy.

After all, the advent movement was originally a true progressive movement, not only theologically, but also from a social point of view. Abolitionism, prohibitionism, pacifism and vegetarianism was the cutting edge of social reform back in the 19th century, and the adventist church took a bold stance on these issues. Just think about it, if these issues have a progressive flavour even today, how much more radical wouldn't these things have been back in the Victorian era?

I believe that as a Church we've lagged behind, in many ways we've quenched the progressive spirit of our pioneers. (For the records, by “progressive” I don't mean “liberal”. “Radical” is closer to what I mean.)

Upvote 0