Is there a secular band that has a Christian message ?

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People used to say U2 fell into this category.

Any recommendations for some good tunes to jam on ?:cool:

Several.

Skillet comes to mind, although they are Christians playing in a band that has some secular music, lol. But they are awesome.

As for other bands...many have a positive message, but not necessarily Christian in nature. Five Finger Death Punch is very patriotic and supportive of US troops, they promote suicide prevention, anti-bullying, etc. Their songs/videos reflect it. However, they are a metal band so, expect profanity and sexuality if you check them out (fore warning).

Other, older rockers are now Christian and have a positive message. The orchestral group Trans Siberian Orchestra started off as the metal band Savatage.

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I will also add Black Sabbath...yes the metal band with Ozzy. Don't judge by the looks and theatrics. Listen to/read their lyrics.

Another is Evanescence. Ben Moody came from a Christian rock background, and Amy Lee refuses to do T'n'A type of stuff.

Pretty much 90% of all country bands.

Noteable rockers turned Christian include Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), David Ellefson (Megadeth), Alice Cooper, Dan Spitz (Anthrax), Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden), Brian Welch (Korn), Pete Steele (Type O Negative), and Tom Araya (Slayer).

Obviously, as stated above, bands like Skillet, Red, Thousand Foot Krutch, Switchfoot, Casting Crowns and Flyleaf are all Christian rock bands.

But Trans Siberian Orchestra (TSO)...I grew up on those guys being Savatage. TSO's stuff is so awesome!

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Several.

Skillet comes to mind, although they are Christians playing in a band that has some secular music, lol. But they are awesome.

As for other bands...many have a positive message, but not necessarily Christian in nature. Five Finger Death Punch is very patriotic and supportive of US troops, they promote suicide prevention, anti-bullying, etc. Their songs/videos reflect it. However, they are a metal band so, expect profanity and sexuality if you check them out (fore warning).

Other, older rockers are now Christian and have a positive message. The orchestral group Trans Siberian Orchestra started off as the metal band Savatage.

FFDP seems to be moral and have a sense of justice and honor. Yeah, the f-bombs fly fast and free, but there is always the wal-mart version...LOL

TSO does Christmas music ?

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not that I can think of..a secular band with a Christian message is a contradiction in terms. I don't listen to secular music anymore..it reflects and appeals to a lost heart condition that I don't have anymore

Upvote 0
H

HauntedByYou

Killswitch Engage. The first two albums their singer was a Christian, and he has returned to the band recently. Even their other singer seemed to have some sort of Christian background. I think may or all of the members did, though, sadly, they don't seem to have carried it into their grown lives. But many of their lyrics could pass as Christian in nature.
Some of the Crowbar stuff, as the singer is a professing Christian. Though he does use some language. Check out the lyrics to Sever the Wick Hand. Many of the lyrics could easily come from a Christian band. Minus the one or two songs with language.
Blackie Lawless from WASP is a Christian, but i don't know that he's done an album since his conversion. I'm not sure.
Some of the Trouble albums. Well, they were Catholic, but some of their songs still maintained the more spiritual lyrics.
Times of Grace featuring two Killswitch members.

Far as Amy Lee, there are multiple reports of her denying being a Christian or that the band was ever Christian or intended to be. It was a marketing tool from their label and never the bands intent to be marketed to Christians.
And though Tom Araya claims to be Catholic, not Christian, Slayers lyrics have yet to deviate from the usual anti-God.

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Killswitch Engage. The first two albums their singer was a Christian, and he has returned to the band recently. Even their other singer seemed to have some sort of Christian background. I think may or all of the members did, though, sadly, they don't seem to have carried it into their grown lives. But many of their lyrics could pass as Christian in nature.
Some of the Crowbar stuff, as the singer is a professing Christian. Though he does use some language. Check out the lyrics to Sever the Wick Hand. Many of the lyrics could easily come from a Christian band. Minus the one or two songs with language.
Blackie Lawless from WASP is a Christian, but i don't know that he's done an album since his conversion. I'm not sure.
Some of the Trouble albums. Well, they were Catholic, but some of their songs still maintained the more spiritual lyrics.
Times of Grace featuring two Killswitch members.

Far as Amy Lee, there are multiple reports of her denying being a Christian or that the band was ever Christian or intended to be. It was a marketing tool from their label and never the bands intent to be marketed to Christians.
And though Tom Araya claims to be Catholic, not Christian, Slayers lyrics have yet to deviate from the usual anti-God.
thx...from my generation Kansas was secular, yet had Christian members.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

According to goodfight ministries, U2 actually has a very anti-christian message.

The easiest thing to do, if you want songs with Christian messages, is to listen to Christian bands. Skillet and Lecrae are good CCM artists.

Upvote 0

Begat

IN*P
Jan 18, 2014
North West England
✟7,702.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Gary Barlow has done some Christian-esque songs before - especially the song 'God' from his recent album, 'Since I Saw You Last'. I don't know if he's a Christian, or if he is, whether he's doing this all for Christ first or for the music industry - those things aren't up to me to judge. But the lyrics of that song are quite a spur to evangelism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dont think i've ever heard secular music professing Jesus Christ as lord and saviour. If there is such a thing please post, I'd love to hear it and be proven wrong.

How many Christian songs even do that ?

Most contemporary Christian songs are ME-oriented !!!

You are missing the point of the thread, but thanks for your opinion.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Dont think i've ever heard secular music professing Jesus Christ as lord and saviour. If there is such a thing please post, I'd love to hear it and be proven wrong.

While Rascal Flatts is not professing Christ as Lord and savior in the song "Changed" there is no doubt that it is a Christian message.

Here are it's lyrics:

I came up, out of the water
Raised my hands, up to the father
Gave it all to him that day
Felt a new wind kiss my face
Walked away, eyes wide open
Could finally see where I was going
It didn't matter where I'd been,
I'm not the same man I was then

I got off track, I made mistakes
Back slid my way into that place, where souls get lost,
lines get crossed and the pain won't go away
I hit my knees, now here I stand
There I was, now here I am..
Here I am. Changed.

I got a lot of "hey I'm sorry"s,
the things I've done, Man that was not me
I wish that I could take it all back, I just wanna tell 'em that.. tell 'em how

I've changed for the better. More smiles, less bitter..
I'm even starting to forgive myself
Yes I am

I hit my knees, now here I stand
There I was, now here I am, here I am, here I am
I'm changed. Yes I am.. I've changed for the better

Thank God, I changed. ~Rascal Flatts

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beggarsall

Apr 12, 2012
Kansas
✟15,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I totally expected to have come into this thread too late, and someone would have already mentioned Thrice. They are a very popular secular band with a very consistent message.

SO many of their songs come from the bible:

For Miles
Words in the Water
Of Dust and Nations
Come All You Weary
Image of the Invisible

ALL these songs have distinct Christian messages with biblical roots. PLUS there are many more I didn't mention. They absolutely rock, they write, perhaps, the best lyrics of the generation, and they are, without question, Christian.

Check them out!

Upvote 0

beggarsall

Apr 12, 2012
Kansas
✟15,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I totally expected to have come into this thread too late, and someone would have already mentioned Thrice. They are a very popular secular band with a very consistent message.

For Miles
Words in the Water
Of Dust and Nations
Come All You Weary
Image of the Invisible

ALL these songs have distinct Christian messages with biblical roots. PLUS there are many more I didn't mention. They absolutely rock, they write, perhaps, the best lyrics of the generation, and they are, without question, Christian.

Check them out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

For Miles
Words in the Water
Of Dust and Nations
Come All You Weary
Image of the Invisible

Check them out!
Dude, I forgot about Thrice. My daughter turned me onto them. Good one bro !

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Creed was the band I was trying to remember.

People were convinced they were Christians or had a message.

After going to their concerts, they thought otherwise.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe that bands of unbelievers put out Christian messages, but there are some songs that can easily be bent and twisted into Christian or at least Christian-friendly meanings.

For instance:

Hatebreed - Proven
Madball - Nuestra Familia
Terror - Never Alone

This song by Fear Factory never fails to remind me of Revelation 19:19-21:
Fear Factory - Concreto

Now, an exception to the rule (and this is the only one I know of) is actually about a Bible story, honoring God's decision:
Metallica - Creeping Death

And sometimes a secular band will cover a Christian song:
Dropkick Murphys - Amazing Grace

Now, this isn't to say that I endorse every song made by any of the above bands. In fact, all of them have other songs with horrible lyrics. But there's good out there too.

Upvote 0