Feb 4, 2007
✟9,587.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There seems to be two main reasons why the "only-skirts-for-women" code is pressed on in so many churches (even some non-Pentecostal ones).

They say: "They're more modest than pants, and show less of the female shape."
I say: There are skirts that can be every bit as immodest as pants. And also, when men wear pants, their physique shows, as well. Making them just as "immodest" on a man as it is on a woman.

They say: "Pants are clothing that 'pertaineth unto a man', as men wore them before women."
I say: Many other things 'pertained unto men' first, such as voting, and some ladies who wear only skirts are registered to vote. Also, some women who won't wear pants because they "pertain to men" will still wear tennis shoes/sneakers, cowboy boots, sweatshirts, and sometimes ballcaps. I think those were worn by men first, just as pants were. So, I would think that to have this rule, one should go all the way.

Just my personal observations. I think wearing skirts only (along with not cutting hair, etc.) is fine if they're personal convictions. The problem is in being a Pharisee about it.

I hear what you are saying. The notion of saying Deut. 22:5 = no pants is correct. Two other passages in Deuteronomy mention how men wore skirts. This being said, to take the invention of pants and read it into the text is eisegesis. Along with, saying Deut. 22:5 = no pants is taking the text way [too literally], if the only application one believes is Deut. 22:5 = no pants. The point of Deut. 22:5 is for women not to wear clothes that would be originally manufactured for a man. Just shop in the ladies department if your a woman, and shop in the men's department if your a man. Nevertheless, the Torah really did not make a big deal about what one wears. 613 laws were contained in the Torah, and the length was not a single issue. Even with the priest, clothes were not a big deal.

i remember the dress code.
i was saved in an Apostolic church. it was not written anywhere but they had one.
for women::preach:
NO Pants
Makeup
Earrings
Nail Polish
Seamed Stockings
Open Toe Shoes
Split Skirts
Jogging Suits
Shorts
Jewelry (except wedding rings)
and for the Men: NO Beards.
the plainer you looked, the more saved you were, more saved than everyone else.but when the Bible Way church would come and visit us, they looked down on us because the women wore doiles on their heads and we didn't. oh yes, if you dyed your hair that was a sin also.
and no braids.
i left the Apostolic church years ago. but personally i can wear makeup or not wear it, and it does not matter anymore. i am not under the law of man when it comes to clothes, although i really don't get it when women come to church, showing all what they have. it does not look nice.

what was so bad about all of the dressing issue is that people were still fornicating and doing all kinds of other things, stealing money, shouting at church while being homosexual singing in the choir and cheating on their mates, while dressing according to outward holiness...the babies looked just like them so they could not deny it. and they were the ones judging and condemning others to keep them in line.:preach:

if your heart is not right, all that outward appearance is a joke.:D

don't get me wrong. i love them, i respect them as my brothers and sisters in Christ although most of them probably have condemned me to hell for leaving. but that's OK.

blessings to them all

bithiah2

Where in the Biblical text does it say clothing standard = [completed] transformation? Yet, that is not a reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Often times people misunderstand or a new person is a bit over zealous. I will say that God says to coem as you are. However, nowhere in the word of God does it say to stay as you are.

Very good post sis. God Bless

Concur about no where does the Bible say to stay where you are at.

I too am an ex-apostolic.

I changed when God began to show me that He looks upon the heart!

Sis. I am still an Apostolic. Yes, I see some of the hypocrisy. Yes, some pastors only care about and have the mindset, clothing standard = complete transformation. That is unfortunate, and I have seen others take advantage of thier pastor with it because they know that the pastor will think they are o.k. as long as they have the "clothing standards" and yet they are doing everything else contrary to the Word of God. Holiness is Godward and humanward, and it is living a lie to be Godward and yet treat people like crap right in your church. Yes, I have seen this, but it is not a reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. I still believe in the Apostolic message, though my believe about "outward clothing standards" have changed. Yes, I believe that holiness is a heart issue, however, I'm not going to preach a sub-standard, passive, or casual response to the gospel or towards God. For holiness, I am going to simply preach, even as an Apostolic minister, that holiness is what God is, what God does, and what God does in you and in the community of believers. On the other hand, I do not believe that holiness as standard. Holiness is a call towards God and the authentic faith covenant community.

Some churches say that women and girls are never to cut their hair under ANY circumstances.

Wonder if they make any exceptions for chemotherapy or health problems, or if it is something that has even crossed their minds?

I concur. MOre ministers need to reflect about this.

God Bless,

Gregory Paul Norton

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe this thread should be about bashing organizations.

I was not meaning to bash anyone. I just posted the link because I thought it was interesting reading. It was a website I found sometime back, and some of the stories there had to do with the dress code.

My desire is not to cause trouble or offend anyone. Therefore, the link has been removed. My opinions on dress codes, however, will stay, as I do have a right to post my opinions.

I know dress codes are found in churches of various denominations. However, I personally don't agree with dress codes no matter what the church is. I do agree with being modest, and yes, pants can be modest.

It's okay to have a conviction, but not to think we are "holier-than-thou" because of the conviction. That can lead to bashing as well, as there are some who have a certain conviction who have actually thought that others aren't saved because they don't think the same. We all need to look at our own lives before we go pointing at others.

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think that we all just need to cool it. W.W. has her opinions and she's entitled to them. So is Hollyroller125. BroGrinder made an excellent point and I think we should all be careful tht we don't either on purpose or accidentally insult someone's beliefs. I don't believe that WannaWitness was bashing anyone and honestly I've enjoyed hearing the views of others and learning from these discussions. But, please remember the Golden Rule.

"Treat others the way you would want to be treated."

Upvote 0

BroGinder

Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟14,621.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was not meaning to bash anyone. I just posted the link because I thought it was interesting reading. It was a website I found sometime back, and some of the stories there had to do with the dress code.

My desire is not to cause trouble or offend anyone. Therefore, the link has been removed. My opinions on dress codes, however, will stay, as I do have a right to post my opinions.

I know dress codes are found in churches of various denominations. However, I personally don't agree with dress codes no matter what the church is. I do agree with being modest, and yes, pants can be modest.

It's okay to have a conviction, but not to think we are "holier-than-thou" because of the conviction. That can lead to bashing as well, as there are some who have a certain conviction who have actually thought that others aren't saved because they don't think the same. We all need to look at our own lives before we go pointing at others.

I am sorry if that felt directed. I sometimes try to keep my responses short when I should really expound a little. The posted link was slightly onsided, my comment was only to encourage people to read it for informational purposes, but not to launch a bashing campaign.

I appreciate your tenderness on the subject.

You can call them standards if you wish, thats fine. There are many Apostolic ministers that are 100% focused on the outer appearance thinking it reflects the inside. They have it backwards. They ened to be focuse don the inside as it will be reflecte don the outsside. Hope that makes since. LOL

I am a current Apostolic Minister as well. I also have seen the hypocrites and they are everywhere, in everychurch more so than others. Holiness is a divine imperative. Holiness is simple math. Seperation from the world + Dedication to God = Holiness.

Anyway, God Bless

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am sorry if that felt directed. I sometimes try to keep my responses short when I should really expound a little. The posted link was slightly onsided, my comment was only to encourage people to read it for informational purposes, but not to launch a bashing campaign.

I appreciate your tenderness on the subject.

You can call them standards if you wish, thats fine. There are many Apostolic ministers that are 100% focused on the outer appearance thinking it reflects the inside. They have it backwards. They ened to be focuse don the inside as it will be reflecte don the outsside. Hope that makes since. LOL

I am a current Apostolic Minister as well. I also have seen the hypocrites and they are everywhere, in everychurch more so than others. Holiness is a divine imperative. Holiness is simple math. Seperation from the world + Dedication to God = Holiness.

Anyway, God Bless

:wave: Hi. Uh...what's an Apostolic Minister? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BroGinder

Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟14,621.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It means that I am a licensed Preacher in an Apostolic Church. Hence why I am so distraught over how some have been treated by Apostolics. It is a shame. that would NEVER occur in our Church. Our congregation loves people so much you would feel smothered before you would feel shunned.

Anyway, God Bless

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It means that I am a licensed Preacher in an Apostolic Church. Hence why I am so distraught over how some have been treated by Apostolics. It is a shame. that would NEVER occur in our Church. Our congregation loves people so much you would feel smothered before you would feel shunned.

Anyway, God Bless

Huh. Very cool. I'm glad to hear that your church is different. I've felt rather attacked at times from some Apostolics. It's good to know not all are like the one's I've encountered. God bless you too! :)

Upvote 0

Brucea

Jan 1, 2007
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone who denies the Trinity and most of them believe the point of Salvation is not reached until you have been baptized with the name of Jesus spoken over you! (Absolutely do not baptize in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt. The other part of their doctrine is: if you have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongue you are not saved!

So how about it Bro Ginder is this your position also or you are not that kind of Apostolic!

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Someone who denies the Trinity and most of them believe the point of Salvation is not reached until you have been baptized with the name of Jesus spoken over you! (Absolutely do not baptize in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt. The other part of their doctrine is: if you have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongue you are not saved!

So how about it Bro Ginder is this your position also or you are not that kind of Apostolic!

Yeah. I'd like to know too. :scratch:

Upvote 0

BroGinder

Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟14,621.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Someone who denies the Trinity

I am not sure that is a completely acurate statement. I believe in the Father, I believe in the Son, and I believe in the Holy Ghost. I just believe they are all the same. Just as I am a Father, I am a Son and I have a spirit. My name is Eric. If you are saying that I do not believe that there are Three (3) seperate deitys then you are correct I do not believe that.

and most of them believe the point of Salvation is not reached until you have been baptized with the name of Jesus spoken over you! (Absolutely do not baptize in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt.)

Not totally acurate. You are correct in that we baptize in the name of Jesus.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
KJV

Col 3:17
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
KJV

Matt 28:19
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
KJV

John 12:13
13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.
KJV

Who was this that was coming? It was Jesus. He came in what name? The name of the Lord.

John 14:26
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
KJV

So whats the name of the Holy Ghost? If he comes in Jesus name. What then is his name?

Isa 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
KJV

Who was Isiah talking about? Who is the Child that was born and the Son that was given?

In Matthew 28:19 it does not use the word "names" it uses the word "name". This indicates there is one name for the three. Hence our baptizing in Jesus name. We do not believe that you are filled with the Holy Ghost at baptism but your salvation is complete when the Holy Ghost dwells in you. Nowhere in the bible (KJV) is anyone baptized in any other name than the name of Jesus.

Acts 10:48

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
KJV

The other part of their doctrine is: if you have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongue you are not saved!

With the evidence of speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. Agreed, this is through out the Bible the ONLY evidence offered. Nowhere in the Bible does it talk about someone being filled with the Holy Ghost and they not speak in tongues.
Isa 28:11
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
KJV

Acts 2:1-4
:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
KJV

1 Cor 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

Acts 10:44-48
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
KJV

I hope that helps answer your question. I so appreciate your willingness to ask. If not, I am always open to answering any more question at your leisure. Although to not highjack this thread a new one would be appropriate I would think. God Bless you always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Most churches I have been to believe in coming as you are meaning there is no dress code and all. More worried about you more so than what your wearing. But it's important to be careful how you dress outside of church and more importantly inside of church it can become a hinderance ( mostly applys to the guys though).

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There isn't a dress code at my church, except for the worship team. They have to not wear anything too short, tight or revealing.. just because it can be distracting for people trying to worship. I think it's a good rule.
agreed:)

Upvote 0

Jeffwo

~ In His service ~
Aug 9, 2002
Mississippi
Visit site
✟16,230.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I call it clothesline preachin' when a pastor preaches on clothing issues.

I feel like as people learn the ways of God, their way of dress will reflect it.

Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Upvote 0

BroGinder

Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟14,621.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clothes line preaching, interesting. The Bible I read tells me of the many splendors of God. It tells me about the great love grace and mercy he has for man kind. It also tells me things I am suppsoed to do such as be under subjection to my man of God. My Pastor, My Shepard.

Our Shepards are the ones who will answer for the walk of the sheep left in his care. The ones God has called and harvested to their care.

The should clearly be teaching standards of Holiness. thsoe things that are acceptable to God and those things that are not.

There are requirements to what God expects from us. We live in a society that wants to believe they are saved on Sunday and can live like Hell on Monday but that is just not the case.

Now with that said, it is a journey that we are on. When a person is preparing a meal the raw ingredients are brought into the house. They are then placed in the coking area, then chooped up and each ingredient placed into the mix. Then placed into the oven, then you have a final result.

People shoudl not worry about how others are dressed to come to Church thats the Pastors job. no diffrent than your own children. I have a greater expectaiton of behavior out of my 25 year old than I do my 3 year old grandson.

New people, in the middle of the preperation, even right up to the fire people, should not be bothered with dress and such things and especially by anyone other than the Pastor.

We need to worry about taking a message of Jesus Loves you to them. We need to take the nmessage that we Love them as well. We need to tell them that the word of God says to come as you are. The clean up is up to God. God uses Ministers, Teachers, and Pastors to do the cleaning throught the Word.

God Bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.