Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure some churches have dress codes but that's legalistic and a cop-out for not helping people to become disciples and learn to dress modestly (e,g, 1 Tim 2:9).

Actually maybe the garment of praise (Isaiah 61:3) is the closest thing to a dress code. But even that's not required, just encouraged, because praising God is hazardous to your problems.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said clean the inside of the vessel first. What comes before dress is the heart- your attitudes, have you sought God before coming to church? is you heart right? have got you sins blocking you off?

Faith and righteousness are worth more than mere appearances.

:)

Upvote 0

GodisGreat79

God has been so good to me!
Nov 21, 2005
Fort Lawn,SC
✟9,172.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
At my Church, you can wear pants and on a Wedensday night not long ago and Teenage boy had on Shorts but at my Aunts Church they are strict and don't want you wearing pants to service but they won't shun you if your a guest.

Upvote 0

pentecostalgrl19

Aug 27, 2007
✟7,612.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes, there is:)

I go to a United Pentecostal Church and i've been going for as long as I can remember. Kids at school always ask me about this subject becuase they don't understand why we dress the way we do and why we don't cut our hair. I beleive that you should dress holy and modestly. The bible says:
1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him.

15 But if a women have long hair it is a glory to her, because her hair is given her for a covering.

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

:angel:

I really don't understand why people think it is so wrong that we beleive this way.......i would really like to know

Upvote 0

FaithfulRemnant

Apr 9, 2007
✟15,369.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, some pentecostal churches do. Some might have a rigid dress code(dress for women, etc.), while others may just teach modesty and leave it more to the individual conscience. I've seen a little of both in congregations. This is from my experience anyway.

Upvote 0

Brucea

Jan 1, 2007
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let the Holy Spirit lead and guide you into all truth. Man or Lady if you are dressing to show off your body parts that is immoral! The word does speak as to how we should dress!! It is not for man to set a dress code! However the Holy Spirit will lead you into correct conduct! This only true if you have been born again!

Sinners will sin!

Righteous folk walk in righteousness!

If the inside is surrendered to Jesus it will show up on the outside, without some man telling you how you should dress!

Modest apparel! What would Jesus do if He were in your shoes? Can you allow the Holy Spirit to be your guide?

Upvote 0

BroGinder

Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟14,621.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that if there is holiness on the inside it will show on the outside. I will however, also say that there will be those who dress the part but the vessel is dirty on the inside.

None the less holiness is a divine imperative.

God Bless

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Not where I go to Church. But yes, we should dress modestly. Especially women. Spaghetti straps, short skirts and low necklines gives men the impression that you are sexually active. That's not the kind of impression you want to give off. You have to remember how visually stimulated men are and then dress accordingly.

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I go to a United Pentecostal Church and i've been going for as long as I can remember. Kids at school always ask me about this subject becuase they don't understand why we dress the way we do and why we don't cut our hair. I beleive that you should dress holy and modestly. The bible says:
1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him.

15 But if a women have long hair it is a glory to her, because her hair is given her for a covering.

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

I really don't understand why people think it is so wrong that we beleive this way.......i would really like to know

:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
There seems to be two main reasons why the "only-skirts-for-women" code is pressed on in so many churches (even some non-Pentecostal ones).

They say: "They're more modest than pants, and show less of the female shape."
I say: There are skirts that can be every bit as immodest as pants. And also, when men wear pants, their physique shows, as well. Making them just as "immodest" on a man as it is on a woman.

They say: "Pants are clothing that 'pertaineth unto a man', as men wore them before women."
I say: Many other things 'pertained unto men' first, such as voting, and some ladies who wear only skirts are registered to vote. Also, some women who won't wear pants because they "pertain to men" will still wear tennis shoes/sneakers, cowboy boots, sweatshirts, and sometimes ballcaps. I think those were worn by men first, just as pants were. So, I would think that to have this rule, one should go all the way.

Just my personal observations. I think wearing skirts only (along with not cutting hair, etc.) is fine if they're personal convictions. The problem is in being a Pharisee about it.

Upvote 0

FaithfulRemnant

Apr 9, 2007
✟15,369.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In some societies, the traditional dress of men is something akin to skirts. A lot of it comes from the cultural perspective. What one may perceive as pertaining only to women or men isn't necessarily universally true. A lot is determined by local cultural norms or standards which are not universal absolutes.

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i remember the dress code.
i was saved in an Apostolic church. it was not written anywhere but they had one.
for women::preach:
NO Pants
Makeup
Earrings
Nail Polish
Seamed Stockings
Open Toe Shoes
Split Skirts
Jogging Suits
Shorts
Jewelry (except wedding rings)
and for the Men: NO Beards.
the plainer you looked, the more saved you were, more saved than everyone else.but when the Bible Way church would come and visit us, they looked down on us because the women wore doiles on their heads and we didn't. oh yes, if you dyed your hair that was a sin also.
and no braids.
i left the Apostolic church years ago. but personally i can wear makeup or not wear it, and it does not matter anymore. i am not under the law of man when it comes to clothes, although i really don't get it when women come to church, showing all what they have. it does not look nice.

what was so bad about all of the dressing issue is that people were still fornicating and doing all kinds of other things, stealing money, shouting at church while being homosexual singing in the choir and cheating on their mates, while dressing according to outward holiness...the babies looked just like them so they could not deny it. and they were the ones judging and condemning others to keep them in line.:preach:

if your heart is not right, all that outward appearance is a joke.:D

don't get me wrong. i love them, i respect them as my brothers and sisters in Christ although most of them probably have condemned me to hell for leaving. but that's OK.

blessings to them all

bithiah2

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

i used to attend an Apostolic church.

although they preached against pants, the ministers manual specifically interpreted that scripture to mean that a woman is not to wear a man's clothing, to look like a man, and a man is not to wear a woman's clothing, to look like a woman.
the question was, that some women worked in jobs that they could do better, if they wore pants, because they had to climb, or squat. this was understood.
but i won't argue about it. that is a personal conviction between you and the Lord.

suggestion: could you please use a bigger font? when you get past 30 it's hard to read the fine print.:eek:
blessings,
bithiah2

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There seems to be two main reasons why the "only-skirts-for-women" code is pressed on in so many churches (even some non-Pentecostal ones).

They say: "They're more modest than pants, and show less of the female shape."
I say: There are skirts that can be every bit as immodest as pants. And also, when men wear pants, their physique shows, as well. Making them just as "immodest" on a man as it is on a woman.

They say: "Pants are clothing that 'pertaineth unto a man', as men wore them before women."
I say: Many other things 'pertained unto men' first, such as voting, and some ladies who wear only skirts are registered to vote. Also, some women who won't wear pants because they "pertain to men" will still wear tennis shoes/sneakers, cowboy boots, sweatshirts, and sometimes ballcaps. I think those were worn by men first, just as pants were. So, I would think that to have this rule, one should go all the way.

Just my personal observations. I think wearing skirts only (along with not cutting hair, etc.) is fine if they're personal convictions. The problem is in being a Pharisee about it.

Yeah. What you said makes a lot more sense than what Pentecostals say when they believe in things like that. Actually, pants are more modest than skirts. I mean, think about it. Pants don't fly up like skirts are known to do and if you fall or something they won't fly up either. Just somehting to think about.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BroGinder

Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟14,621.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Often times people misunderstand or a new person is a bit over zealous. I will say that God says to coem as you are. However, nowhere in the word of God does it say to stay as you are.

Very good post sis. God Bless

Upvote 0

Brucea

Jan 1, 2007
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i remember the dress code.
i was saved in an Apostolic church. it was not written anywhere but they had one.
for women::preach:
NO Pants
Makeup
Earrings
Nail Polish
Seamed Stockings
Open Toe Shoes
Split Skirts
Jogging Suits
Shorts
Jewelry (except wedding rings)
and for the Men: NO Beards.
the plainer you looked, the more saved you were, more saved than everyone else.but when the Bible Way church would come and visit us, they looked down on us because the women wore doiles on their heads and we didn't. oh yes, if you dyed your hair that was a sin also.
and no braids.
i left the Apostolic church years ago. but personally i can wear makeup or not wear it, and it does not matter anymore. i am not under the law of man when it comes to clothes, although i really don't get it when women come to church, showing all what they have. it does not look nice.

what was so bad about all of the dressing issue is that people were still fornicating and doing all kinds of other things, stealing money, shouting at church while being homosexual singing in the choir and cheating on their mates, while dressing according to outward holiness...the babies looked just like them so they could not deny it. and they were the ones judging and condemning others to keep them in line.:preach:

if your heart is not right, all that outward appearance is a joke.:D

don't get me wrong. i love them, i respect them as my brothers and sisters in Christ although most of them probably have condemned me to hell for leaving. but that's OK.

blessings to them all

bithiah2

I too am an ex-apostolic.

I changed when God began to show me that He looks upon the heart!

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
the question was, that some women worked in jobs that they could do better, if they wore pants, because they had to climb, or squat. this was understood.

In cases such as this, the pants would actually be more modest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.