Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2005
✟19,742.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So many people have been hurt by a dress code. As I grew up in a Pentecostal church. I was looking for love, but I got judgment. I left when I became 18. Now I have gone back. My prayer is that I will pass on love to others, not judgment. It is up to God to convict hearts of people who are dressed inappropriately. People need time to hear from God. I think of all the times that Jesus could have judged women, but He showed them love instead. These women of the Bible changed, sought righteousness.

In some churches, women are still judged harshly by their dress. Jesus talked an awful lot about not judging others. I do not know anyone who has been won to the Lord by being judged by a human. I love being Pentecostal. It is about the type of relationship I have with God. It is about His power, His love, His Spirit.

Upvote 0

KTskater

Dec 2, 2004
✟21,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Father Rick said:
To offer a little different perspective on this whole conversation...

When missionaries first went into some of the more 'primitive' areas of Africa, the villagers they encountered wore little or no clothing at all. This was the custom of that culture and no one thought anything about it being immodest. Well, one of the first things that the missionaries did was to insist that the women start wearing skirts and blouses so that they would be 'modest'. It didn't take very long at all before they realized that was a BAD idea. The sight of the women covered caused all kind of lust problems in the men of the village--since they were now using their imaginations to try to figure out what was under those skirts. The missionaries literally had to go take back the clothing from the women and tell them to go back to being nude, or wearing only a loincloth.

My point is that every culture has different views of what is/is not modest. Even within a particular culture those standards change with time. Not long ago, it was standard practice for men to wear wigs, makeup, and high-heels (ever look at any paintings from the 1700's?) Obviously that standard has changed significally. In Great Britain it is still considered normal for a man to wear a skirt (kilt) to formal events. In some cultures today, if a woman's hair is not completely covered so that none of it is seen at all then she is considered promiscuous and in some cultures the only thing allowed to be seen of a woman is her eyes--to show any more could get her stoned.

Well then, how in the world does one interpret scripture regarding these kinds of issues when there are so many cultures and they constantly change?

The first thing we do is find out what was written to a particular group of people in scripture. Then we look for the 'eternal principle'-- the real meaning of what was being said that applies to ALL people of ALL time and not just that particular group. Then we look to see how to apply that principle in our day and culture.

In scripture we see a culture where the only women who wore short hair (actually their heads were shaved many times) were temple prostitutes. Paul writes to that church and tell them for the women to not do something that would make them be confused for a prostitute. (He also ends the passage saying that it is not a 'law'). Well, the eternal principle from that should be obvious-- don't look like a prostitute (whatever that may mean in your particular culture).

There is a passage in the OT that says a woman shouldn't wear a man's clothing and vice versa. Well, in India women wear under their sari and men frequently wear a long wrap around their waist that look like a skirt. We've already mentioned that men used to be the ones who wore high heels, not women. How do we apply this eternal principle? It will apply differently in all the world. I would say that women should go to the women's department of the store and buy whatever they sell there and men should go to the men's department and buy whatever is there.

Finally --passages about being adorned with godliness rather than with gold and braided hair. The emphasis here is not to do things that make you 'stand out' and draw attention to yourself, as someone already has said. Unfortunately, many Christians today take pride that they do 'stand out' by the 'holiness' way the dress. By taking many of these issues to such an extreme, I would say that many of them have actually broken the intent of the passage.

Now I will be the first to agree that Christians are to be different from those that don't know Christ yet. But that difference is to be first and foremost an inner difference-- a difference of heart, a difference of spirit. We are to walk in love, in peace, in joy. Jesus railed against the religious leaders of his day that were 'white-washed sepulchres filled with dead men's bones'. They took great pride on how 'godly' they looked on the outside but had missed the point completely. Just so I'm not misunderstood, most of those I know in the 'holiness' camps really love the Lord and are trying to live for Him. But so many times, I feel they have gotten sidetracked with some of the minor issues and made them such a big deal that they are actually harming their witness-- not helping it.
Awesome post. That's is most educated and logical, yet biblical and godly response I've ever read on thread concerning dress code.

Upvote 0

bop1997

Order my steps Lord
Jun 30, 2003
AL
Visit site
✟7,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi
I haven't posted in a while. Glad to be back. My response:
I am of the Apostolic faith, Church of our Lord Jesus Christ. We believe in a certin way men/women should dress. But our Pastor says it is about your relationship with God and your willingness to obey him. Before I got saved, I dressed differently. But when I accepted Christ and statred living for him, everything changed. I became a new person, even though I had heard about dressing all my life, it wasn't until I started living right that I understood. We are a peculiar people, different from wordly people and the world. It is about what yolu are willing to do for Christ, and where you want to spen enternity. Not the dress per say, but the way you lived your life and helping people find Christ.
:wave:

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TwistrAndy said:
Jewelry:The Bible doesn't say wear gold, and pearls just don't over do it, it says don't do it. It says that we are not to be adorned with pearls, gold, costly array, and broided hair, and this will be shown in women who profess godliness, our spirit will be a quite one. So therefore since it says don't do it, I don't.

1 Timothy 2:8-10 is the passage which refers to "broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array"

8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works (KJV)

According to New Strong's Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words, the second word "will" is the Greek word "boulomai" which is "to 'will'", "be willing", "intend", "be disposed", "minded", "list". This, of course, is used to tell us how Paul wanted the men to pray. As the passage goes on "In like manner also" (hosautos) , it appears that it's the same for what follows for the women, as in what he would PREFER, but again, it's not a law.

I believe we can all agree that modesty is important. My church doesn't have a specific dress code for it's member's, but those in leadership position (whether it be Sunday School teacher, worship leader, etc) are to abide by certain standards when acting in that capacity. Most have to do with the women. Women are allowed to wear shorts/skorts/skirts provided that they are no shorter than 1" above the knee and we are allowed to wear pants. the SLIT in the skirt is also to fall below that 1". No jeans are to be worn on the worship team. Blouses/shirts are not to be low-cut, or belly baring, or spaghetti strap. Sleeveless shirts are OK provided there's adequate coverage and our undergarments are not to show at ANY time, and it's suggested that they provide adequate coverage at all times. Men can wear dress pants but aren't required to wear a suit or a tie, although my pastor and worship leader almost always do, but it's more of a personal preference for them.

Whereas I don't agree with Father Rick on the Africa example, I do agree with him when he says: "The first thing we do is find out what was written to a particular group of people in scripture. Then we look for the 'eternal principle'-- the real meaning of what was being said that applies to ALL people of ALL time and not just that particular group. Then we look to see how to apply that principle in our day and culture."

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
charityagape said:
IS it actually in the bible that long hair on a man is a shame, twisterandy?

Yup, it is - 1 Corinthians 11:13-14 13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?http://www.christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=15659083#_ftn1

Read the surrounding passage for the context.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
dsided4him said:
Interestingly enough, I don't feel comfortable going to church in a $100+ suit while sitting next to a family that can barely afford food to put on the table and has only shorts and t-shirts to wear because the air conditioning in their home broke down.

I've dealt with that in the church I grew up in, well, not the $100+ suit (simply because I get heart palpatations THINKING of spending that much on an outfit- but that's because I'm CHEAP, not because I think there's anything wrong with it), but having more than the one next to me. I've been in the other situation and honestly, never thought of what someone else was wearing, but maybe that's because I've never been in REAL need.

One final note. I decided to confront my neighbors head on over this issue of not speaking to us because of our clothing options. I delivered them fresh baked goodies dressed in, you guessed it, a suit & tie. They still don't talk to us, but that is OK. I'm planning on brownies next.

Awesome! Your neighbors sound like legalists. Maybe your show of love DESPITE their reactions to you will lighten them up, or at least open discussion.

blessings.

Upvote 0

Artistichaos

Jun 28, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟15,159.00
Faith
Oneness
Politics
US-Others
There is no "Dress code" in any apostolic church. Holiness isn't a dress code. The Bible commands us to "be ye holy for I am holy". Our god is holy and He will not live in an unholy temple! Holiness is an outward sign of an inner condition! For more information on holiness, please view my site: artistichaos.com/holiness.html

Upvote 0

christlike77

Jun 28, 2005
Tracy,Ca.
✟7,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is a dress code at my church, but if you are new to the church or a vistor you are not told if you do not dress this way you cannot attend the church. As time goes on you watch what the other women are wearing and you dress accordingly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angel_girl86

Sep 3, 2004
Australia
✟232.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
i have never heard of a dress code at my church.....i guess you could say i have my own dress code.....if it causes my brother in christ to stumble...then I won't wear it. I usually ask my bro what he thinks, like if its too imodest, or shows too much skin.

I got the following from "not even a hint" by josh harris....

" the way you dress can either help or hinder the men around you who are trying to resist lust"

i think thats a pretty good reason to dress modestly..... ;)

Upvote 0

writer4him

Jun 23, 2005
maryland
✟15,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
no dress code here i wear jeans almost every week. But something sort of strange is that we have 2 services the first is often referred to as the casual service and most of the youth attend then, and the 2nd is the more formal and most of the older people attend that one. hmmm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ToxicBex said:
I believe that you can praise God and go to church wearing whatever... well...maybe not like... a bikini or anything... lol...but yeah... like God says...it's the insides that count... he only looks at us on the inside

:thumbsup:

Matthew 23:26 NIV
First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

Upvote 0

ForgivenToo

Aug 10, 2005
Delaware
Visit site
✟243.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
my whole life my church had a "dress code" no jewlery, no pants, no makeup. But for some reason in the last 5 years they've slacked off on it and people wear whatever they want. The older people still follow the dress code for the most part.

Upvote 0

ciaman59

Aug 12, 2005
✟15,134.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I went to a Pentecostal Holiness Church for the majority of my life and Now I allign more A/G. These are my thoughts. In earlier post people stated that the standards of dress set them apart from the world. I think a lot of times we as a church get SO set apart that we are out of touch with the unchurched and dont have a clue at how to reach out to them. In the Holiness Church that I grew up in I noticed this horrific cycle. I felt like the people were so oppresed by all these rules that the following always happened. Boys and Girls are paired off early and that results in marriage WAY TOO YOUNG. The others would run away from home at about 15-16 and leave the church. Im not saying one way is better than another, I just feel we as a church body could do a better job of inclusion and reaching out to the unchurched/

Upvote 0

ForgivenToo

Aug 10, 2005
Delaware
Visit site
✟243.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I spoke with my mom about this thread and got a different conclusion that what i had.

In my church (UPCI) we don't have a dress code for members of the congregation, the dress code is for people who wish to hold office in the church. (ie. ministers, sunday school teachers, choir, ect....)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.