ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
If there is it has no influence since who would it vote for? Both Labor and Lib are both professedly christian. But really you imply that christians are one united force who agree on the same things which I don't think has been accurate since the 1st century. Lucky for us non-christians too since if chrisitans were united all the time you would always win with a 2/3 majority every election thus leaving little debate.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even as a strong believing Christian, I had to vote 'no'. Just look at all the examples we had in the past, there is no christianity in our parliament - and this is good I think. It would not be fair to force our believe on other people, Australia is a pegan country, if we like it or not.
But on the other side of the coin, if politic would just a little take from Jesus teaching - we could have life in paradise. For example Jesus teaches us about being in charge of our environment - and what our politican do? destroy it and ignore it. BOTH big parties have no plan for environment. :mad:

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
true norbie. people talking about the 'Christian vote' tend to talk about things like same-sex marriage and adoption, abortion, &c. but most Christians in australia are interested in a lot more than just these issues. social justice is important to many australian christians, as is the environment and health issues. i know christians who vote for the liberals, i know christians who vote labor, and i know christians who vote green. i don't think religion really affects it at all.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I guess the obvious candidate for a 'Christian vote' would be the Family First Party? They do after all oppose abortion, same-sex marriage....etc. Since it was started by the former head of the AOG church, I disagree with enough of FF's policies (let alone their connections to Hillsong) I shall put them pretty much last on my ballot paper.

As a Christian, I have personally been weighing up the pros and cons of each candidate. For instance; The Greens have a lot of good policies, but they also support same-sex marriage (though I am in two minds over that, is it a human rights issue, or a homosexual one?) Do I not vote for them based on that alone, and instead vote for a party that could have no real action plans for anything I feel passionate about; but also none that clash with my beliefs?

I suppose we should all remember, that no matter what their policies are now, politicians can always change their tune once elected...

Decisions decisions....:scratch:

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I guess the obvious candidate for a 'Christian vote' would be the Family First Party? They do after all oppose abortion, same-sex marriage....etc. Since it was started by the former head of the AOG church, I disagree with enough of FF's policies (let alone their connections to Hillsong) I shall put them pretty much last on my ballot paper.

As a Christian, I have personally been weighing up the pros and cons of each candidate. For instance; The Greens have a lot of good policies, but they also support same-sex marriage (though I am in two minds over that, is it a human rights issue, or a homosexual one?) Do I not vote for them based on that alone, and instead vote for a party that could have no real action plans for anything I feel passionate about; but also none that clash with my beliefs?

I suppose we should all remember, that no matter what their policies are now, politicians can always change their tune once elected...

Decisions decisions....:scratch:
Hi Tigercub!

Why the opposition to FF? I'm putting them first on my ballot paper. As you might know from reading the recent thread on here about Hillsong, I detest Hillsong but that doesn't stop me from voting for FF.

I'm constantly amazed at the Christian ignorance surrounding FF. It's not an AoG Party let alone a Hillsong one. It's not even funded by AoG and its Board is interdenominational.

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I'd actually like to know more about Family First...care to share more information?
From Day One of the election campaign:

"Family First is the only party that understands that families in the outer suburbs and regions are struggling to make ends meet and need help. Family First is the only party that understands the concerns of small business and that they need protection to be able to compete.
"The other parties are out of touch and pay lip-service to the needs of families and small businesses."
Family First's policies show the party is in touch with the real issues affecting families and small businesses. Family First wants to:​
  1. • Cut petrol tax by 10 cents a litre to help families and keep interest rates low;
  2. • Restore guarantees for workers’ penalty rates, public holidays and meal breaks;
  3. • Give ALL families a $4000 childcare payment to decide the childcare they want;
  4. • Protect small business and keep grocery prices as low as possible;
  5. • Provide special tax breaks to first homebuyers saving them up to $100 a week;
  6. • Give carers four weeks annual leave like paid workers receive.
Senator Fielding urged voters to be serious about the Senate, and the contest between Family First and the Greens for the Balance of Power."​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
From Day One of the election campaign:

"Family First is the only party that understands that families in the outer suburbs and regions are struggling to make ends meet and need help. Family First is the only party that understands the concerns of small business and that they need protection to be able to compete.
"The other parties are out of touch and pay lip-service to the needs of families and small businesses."
Family First's policies show the party is in touch with the real issues affecting families and small businesses. Family First wants to:​
  1. • Cut petrol tax by 10 cents a litre to help families and keep interest rates low;
  2. • Restore guarantees for workers’ penalty rates, public holidays and meal breaks;
  3. • Give ALL families a $4000 childcare payment to decide the childcare they want;
  4. • Protect small business and keep grocery prices as low as possible;
  5. • Provide special tax breaks to first homebuyers saving them up to $100 a week;
  6. • Give carers four weeks annual leave like paid workers receive.
Senator Fielding urged voters to be serious about the Senate, and the contest between Family First and the Greens for the Balance of Power."​

The question would be, is how do they expect to pay for these policies, raising taxes?

Christian parties IMO are a total joke.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They seem to be a bit general about some of their other policy such as climate change and aid, even though they've seem to adopt the MDG's as the measure which is great, but I wonder how much they actually know. But definately I wouldn't write them off.

I wouldn't phrase it like Freitag, but yeh, not too sure what they are promoting is actually realistic to the economy.

Upvote 0

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will be voting FF.
Where are they going to get there funding from asks Freitag, I guess taxes. Seen Howards surplus?
The whole idea to me of a political party is to help the people, not help big business fleece people.
They may not be perfect but at least they mirror more of my beliefs than any other party.
I will vote Christian based, and am sick of the two main parties selling themselves as Christians, even though they have no real concept of Christianity.
The Greens? Go read there policies.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tigercub!

Why the opposition to FF? I'm putting them first on my ballot paper. As you might know from reading the recent thread on here about Hillsong, I detest Hillsong but that doesn't stop me from voting for FF.

I'm constantly amazed at the Christian ignorance surrounding FF. It's not an AoG Party let alone a Hillsong one. It's not even funded by AoG and its Board is interdenominational.

So it's a complete coincidence that Andrew Evans was the head of the AOG church and then started the Family First Party? *cough* *splutter* must be a coincidence *cough*

You found more than one member of FF who is not a member of AOG? Last election something like 80% of them were...

I refuse to aid the AOG/Hillsong (same leader = same thing) in gaining any political power. Hillsong has already proven themsleves untrustworthy with taxpayers money, let's not give them a whole lot more.

Would you abort a fetus with a serious life-long disease/impairment that would mean constant pain? Well if Family First get in, you won't have the choice! How wonderfully Christian is that - the removal of choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
How wonderfully Christian is that - the removal of choice.

I think its a terrible double standard, we have a party like family first, who whinges and moans about how our government suppresses choice of Christian families in various aspects of our every day lives.

Yet they are the party that is proposing the removal of choice for abortion, recriminalising homosexuality, etc. we dont have to condone those things, however what right do we have to impose our moral absolutes on people who dont believe. That reminds me of Nazi Germany

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think its a terrible double standard, we have a party like family first, who whinges and moans about how our government suppresses choice of Christian families in various aspects of our every day lives.

Yet they are the party that is proposing the removal of choice for abortion, recriminalising homosexuality, etc. we dont have to condone those things, however what right do we have to impose our moral absolutes on people who dont believe. That reminds me of Nazi Germany
Amen to this:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟228,059.00
Faith
Christian
The question would be, is how do they expect to pay for these policies, raising taxes?

Christian parties IMO are a total joke.

More of a joke than Peter Garret and his support for the Tasmanian pulp mill, or Bob Hawke and his plant-a-billion trees promise, or Bob Carr destroying the NSW transport system or Howard following Bush into every war he can get into…..

A large proportion of Australian parties IMO are a total joke

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟13,806.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you abort a fetus with a serious life-long disease/impairment that would mean constant pain? Well if Family First get in, you won't have the choice! How wonderfully Christian is that - the removal of choice.

In answer to your question - no I wouldn't. I don't deny other people the right to do this though.

I have heard situations where people considered abortion due to the likelihood of defects, but the child ended up being born with no defects.

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I agree with user norbie on this. I don't think that there is any "Christian" vote on the election. Jesus even said himself "my kingdom is not of this world". It's up to him to instil the perfect government, not mortal human beings.

Family Farce will be at the bottom of my voting slip, as well as Labor and Liberal.

The Greens and Jodie Moore (if she's still around) will get mine.

Upvote 0