In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey there Eccletic, I'm not so sure there's a "Christian DNB scene" but i'm certainly a fan and have been for about as long as you. I got into it around 97 along with a lot of non-Christian things for a while. It's a shame that it does carry a negative stigma to a lot of Christians because a lot of it is dark sounding and if you get into dub step; which I despise, it really gets ugly and I doubt there would be any Christians listening to it.

I don't know, like I said I used to be into some of the stuff that is often times found in conjunction with it but I have moved past that and still listen to it. I used to be into some of the harder stuff like Dieselboy in the early 2000's and Pendulum and some of the others, like the early hard-step from like Hype and Andy C, but know I'm more into the spiritual sounding liquid as long as it still has a fast enough tempo with some melodic bass lines.

I go through phases with my music, I'm also a big Deadhead, which I'm sure is considered anti-Christian, though I would respectfully disagree since many of their songs have a biblical context and metaphors throughout. If you go onto FB, their is even a page for Deadhead's for Christ! (~);}

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I tend to actually be a sucker for exactly that - ie. dark dnb, I'm not headbanging with it (ie. so I'm not going in the Current Value, Audio, and Donny direction with that) but as far as newer stuff Loxy & Resound, Sabre, D-Bridge, Sunchase, Genotype, Clarity, Pessimist, Abstract Elements, Consequence, Icicle's earlier stuff, etc.. As far as the classics from when I first started definitely Metalheadz Platinum Breakz, Full Cycle and V for the jazz, Virus and Prototype for techstep, and as far as US dj's who threw down some good dark rolling - 3D, Dara, Phantom 45, etc.

As far as I know I think Kubitz tried to do something in the Christian angle (if I spelled his name right), Lomax is apparently Christian albeit he doesn't try to confine his production to that rubric.

I think Christian dnb could be done though, even dark dnb, IMHO there's nothing wrong with dark if its used in the sublime/reverent direction. To really think about it Eastern Orthodox and medieval choir is pretty dark in that sense and no one really doubts that it's for Christ. With electronic genres though the challenge seems to be the lack of words and how you define nonvocal music as Christian without just slapping a name on it and calling it Christian via the track title and the pool of inspiration that you believe to have drawn it from.

There are some people on Youtube who try to claim that their channel is dedicated that way but, with the tracks they host I don't necessarily see it.

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yea I love Dara, seen him many times! Wow, Phantom 45, that takes me back, is he still around? TBH, I dont keep up as much on the newest DnB dj's/artists as I used to. For a few reasons. 1. since about '08ish I guess, in this part of the states, Dub Step has totally taken over. Jungle/Dnb is slowly making a come back, but I mean slowly! 2. I typically dont go out anymore, so I'll go long periods without even "knowing" who's who. Like I said, lately, it's been all fake dub step around here. Not trying to offend anyone if your a fan, I just really dont like it.

As far as Christian DnB, I can imagine darker choir/chant being used in some mixes, but I think there would be a pretty small audience for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but like you said, I think the only way you could sell it as Christian DnB is to label it that way.

I like a lot of the old skool "intelligent" too, before it was called liquid. Like some of LTJ's stuff and there's a guy called Mokato that has a couple old skool mixes out that could possibly fit that genre. I can definitely get a spiritual feeling out of those mixes.

It's very personal though, so to me, the genre or label doesnt really matter, it's what the individual gets out of it. Many people on here would probably disagree, but I dont think the means at how you arrive at Christ is the most important part, it's that you do find Him and try your best to continue to grow in Him! <><

:cool: :wave:

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, after reading through the Secular thread, I stand corrected, I guess there are Christians at least attempting to make "Christian EDM." Not sure how you would really qualify that except by keeping it "clean" of promoting sex and drugs and by the artist declaring themselves and their music to be "Christian."

The problem is as others have alluded to is where it comes from. If you know what EDM is, you probably have experienced the non-Christian attributes that come along with it. I'm not judging, cause I was there for quite a few years.

That being said, I think it would be easier to find "Christian worthy" DnB than Dub Step...

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As far as Christian DnB, I can imagine darker choir/chant being used in some mixes, but I think there would be a pretty small audience for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but like you said, I think the only way you could sell it as Christian DnB is to label it that way.
Yeah, I couldn't see myself using dark choir or monastic chanting. I suppose I was just saying that to reference that dark doesn't always mean you're making Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden tunes. There's a sublime/reverent side to it as well. Loxy, Sabre, and Consequence do a particularly good job of nailing that corner.

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I gotcha. I'll have to check them out. I've heard of Loxy and Sabre, havent really heard them though. Havent heard of consequence. I'll look em up. It just seems like a tough sell as "Christian DnB." That's all.. Not saying a Christian couldn't get a spiritual vibe from it, just not sure how it could necessarily be "Christian DnB." Like I said, it's totally up to the individual. I'm going on youtube right now to check out those you just listed. :-D

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As for dubstep I'm actually pretty open minded to the side of it that isn't HUGE grinding mega-pop wobbles. There's a more Detroit techno and IDM influenced side of it that's way better. There's also a pretty significant corner that goes very much in the direction of atmospheric and dark dnb in terms of sound and feel.

Most of my own production used to be dnb however once in a while I used to spin out some dubstep. This is more in the direction of the side I do like:
https://soundcloud.com/5pryme/5pryme-petal-jumper-320

I only say was and used to because I've been on hiatus for a couple years now. Would like to get back in, its just scaring the inspiration up past the technical headaches.

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I gotcha. I'll have to check them out. I've heard of Loxy and Sabre, havent really heard them though. Havent heard of consequence. I'll look em up. It just seems like a tough sell as "Christian DnB." That's all.. Not saying a Christian couldn't get a spiritual vibe from it, just not sure how it could necessarily be "Christian DnB." Like I said, it's totally up to the individual. I'm going on youtube right now to check out those you just listed. :-D
For Consequence look up the Live for Never LP, for Sabre 'A Wandering Journal', and for Loxy - I've got a set by him on Youtube Live @ Darkroller 5/31/2008 - his sets and collabs are pretty strong, he had a recent colab album with Resound called The Burning Shadows LP.

If you're looking for this year current in terms of dnb comeback though Pessimists Codecast 01 has a lot of promising tracks and new/upcoming artists.

As for dark being a hard sell - I think the more important thing is 'is it distinctively Christian?'. With dark it might take on a somewhat mystic/esoteric feel but for me that's part in parcel with John's writings as well as a lot of the OT stuff.

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yea, sabre sounds like the old tech step. I like some of it. Tech itch, Slant, even Deieselboy was into for a while back then. Not my fav but to each their own. Still think it would be really tough to label it Christian though without something that specifically can identify it as such like some verses or some kind of praise or prayer maybe kind of at a low level in the background or something like that, not really sure...lol! I'm listening to Sabre's fabriclive mix, it's got some good tracks on it. The first track that came up on youtube was Dojo, I liked that one too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This tune is probably trademark for what I think of as being uniquely Sabre's direction :)

Sabre - Global - YouTube

And yeah - I don't think I'd be trying to stick bible verses on to this arbitrarily. Just saying, there's Black Sabbath dark and then there's sublime/reverent dark. Christian metal bands try to reclaim the former, the later though I don't think needs as much prying or effort.

I'm thinking most Christian attempts at dnb would go the atmospheric Medschool'ish direction, that stuff would be slick - I just wouldn't throw dark under the bus necessarily all on connotation either.

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
This tune is probably trademark for what I think of as being uniquely Sabre's direction :)

Sabre - Global - YouTube

And yeah - I don't think I'd be trying to stick bible verses on to this arbitrarily. Just saying, there's Black Sabbath dark and then there's sublime/reverent. Christian metal bands try to reclaim the former, the later though I don't think needs as much prying or effort.

No I hear ya on the Bible verses, just trying to think how you would make it really "Christian." Reverence is sort of subjective, ya know? One persons idea of it may be totally different to another. Like I feel more reverence in the non-denom church I go to than to a traditional church. Many would disagree, but not necessarily be "right."

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Kryptic Minds and Leon Switch? Yeah, they started coming to prominence 03'-04'ish back when Evol Intent was first coming up.

Kryptic Minds actually have a dubstep album called Can't Sleep. Pretty listenable, but then again I'd put them in the category of artists who make dark dnb at 140 over dubstep drumwork and there are a lot of artists these days doing that, just like there are a lot of people in the dubstep framework essentially making atmospheric/ambient dnb at 140 in that manner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No I hear ya on the Bible verses, just trying to think how you would make it really "Christian." Reverence is sort of subjective, ya know? One persons idea of it may be totally different to another. Like I feel more reverence in the non-denom church I go to than to a traditional church. Many would disagree, but not necessarily be "right."
I definitely get that.

The only way I can say it is this - if I were to imagine myself in John's place in Revelation 4 in front of the Ancient of Days, I might just be dense, but I don't think the energy of that atmosphere would be an explosion of Christian country music, nor would it remind me of the church praise band on guitar and tambourines. That's not to knock any of that stuff, just that I think there's quite validly a lot more space to play in.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never try to stake a career on people getting it, just that I don't think it would be an inappropriate angle for a solid hobby/amateur producer to explore and share.

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ahh yea, that's about when I kinda disappeared from the scene. My son was born in '03, as you could imagine, my priorities changed, lol! Your way more into it than I am at this point. I kinda dabble here and there nowadays, but I'm always willing to check out something new. Even if its old, it could still be new to me, haha! Good luck with the Christian theme! <><

Upvote 0

ceb420

Jan 15, 2013
In His Embrace
✟7,835.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I definitely get that.

The only way I can say it is this - if I were to imagine myself in John's place in Revelation 4 in front of the Ancient of Days, I might just be dense, but I don't think the energy of that atmosphere would be an explosion of Christian country music, nor would it remind me of the church praise band on guitar and tambourines. That's not to knock any of that stuff, ie. its great in its environment, but the Bible itself is full of sublime (not the band).

Don't get me wrong, I'd never try to stake a career on people getting it, just that I don't think it would be an inappropriate angle for a solid hobby/amateur producer to explore and share.

I actually think the tambourines and guitar is easier to imagine than electronic music, haha! I definitley agree, it's a new, fresh angle to approach the subject. I can dig that, if someone feels closeness to Christ listening to DnB, Country, Praise, what have you, so be it! I like the idea, I'm just saying it would be a tough sell, and not necessarily in monetary terms.

Upvote 0

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I actually think the tambourines and guitar is easier to imagine than electronic music, haha! I definitley agree, it's a new, fresh angle to approach the subject. I can dig that, if someone feels closeness to Christ listening to DnB, Country, Praise, what have you, so be it! I like the idea, I'm just saying it would be a tough sell, and not necessarily in monetary terms.
I might not be the person to do it, precisely because I'm a bit obtuse to popular bias. If people can't see anything but the new Total Recall or Star Wars if they hear electronic music and if I know little distinction between electronic and classical or jazz - it probably won't translate well aside from to people who already think the way I do or share the same obliviousness to cultural pigeonholing.

Upvote 0