Is the Old Testament Done away with?

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I see how you trying to connect the two together. The occult activity goes into another ball game of evil. Jesus was referring to the thoughts of the mind, where as the occult activity is one who has already made up one mind and enter in a practice that could be witches or satanists, etc.

i am not a philosopher, the wrestle of the true Saints is against the spiritual iniquity/lawlessness, not against the think:

Ephesians 6:12 "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities(i.e. against the inanimate spiritual systems of the "darkness"), against powers(i.e. against the inanimate spiritual powers of the "darkness"), against the rulers(i.e. against the inanimate spirits) of the darkness of this world(i.e. the kingdom of which is principally based in this world), against spiritual wickedness in high places(i.e. against the spiritual iniquity/lawlessness, but mostly (against) that of high level/great extent)."

Blessings

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
i am not a philosopher, the wrestle of the true Saints is against the spiritual iniquity/lawlessness, not against the think:

Ephesians 6:12 "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities(i.e. against the inanimate spiritual systems of the "darkness"), against powers(i.e. against the inanimate spiritual powers of the "darkness"), against the rulers(i.e. against the inanimate spirits) of the darkness of this world(i.e. the kingdom of which is principally based in this world), against spiritual wickedness in high places(i.e. against the spiritual iniquity/lawlessness, but mostly (against) that of high level/great extent)."

Blessings

If we going that deep in wickedness, then you have a point.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What's your personal interpretation of this;

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.

That it's the 6th verse of Psalm 122. It is a song of Jerusalem's blessedness, chosen by God in David's time to be the center of Israel's worship. Though David had desired to build God a temple there, God told David that being a man of war with blood on his hands he could not, but that the task would fall to his son Solomon. And, thus, Solomon built the temple in Jerusalem which stood until the Babylonian Captivity, and which was then rebuilt under the satrapy of Zerubabel, and embelished by Herod the Great until it fell to the Romans in 70 AD, and it and Jerusalem faced even more disaster in about 135 AD following the Bar Kochba Rebellion--in which Jerusalem was renamed Aelia Capitolina, the Jews were forcibly removed, and Hadrian's Temple built on the site of the Temple Mount. This was the case until Julian the Apostate reallowed Jews back into the city and gave them patronage to rebuild the Temple--the project was cut short when Julian died and Jovian became emperor.

Jerusalem would not have a significant Jewish presence again until the Muslim conquest in the 7th century wrested control of the Holy Land from Roman (Byzantine) control. And with the Crusades the Crusaders expelled surviving Jews during the Crusader State period until the Seljuks took back Jerusalem from the Crusaders and Jerusalem again began to have a thriving Jewish population.

But that history aside, the point of the Psalm involves the importance of Jerusalem in Judaism as it would thenceforth have from the days of David.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That it's the 6th verse of Psalm 122. It is a song of Jerusalem's blessedness, chosen by God in David's time to be the center of Israel's worship. Though David had desired to build God a temple there, God told David that being a man of war with blood on his hands he could not, but that the task would fall to his son Solomon. And, thus, Solomon built the temple in Jerusalem which stood until the Babylonian Captivity, and which was then rebuilt under the satrapy of Zerubabel, and embelished by Herod the Great until it fell to the Romans in 70 AD, and it and Jerusalem faced even more disaster in about 135 AD following the Bar Kochba Rebellion--in which Jerusalem was renamed Aelia Capitolina, the Jews were forcibly removed, and Hadrian's Temple built on the site of the Temple Mount. This was the case until Julian the Apostate reallowed Jews back into the city and gave them patronage to rebuild the Temple--the project was cut short when Julian died and Jovian became emperor.

Jerusalem would not have a significant Jewish presence again until the Muslim conquest in the 7th century wrested control of the Holy Land from Roman (Byzantine) control. And with the Crusades the Crusaders expelled surviving Jews during the Crusader State period until the Seljuks took back Jerusalem from the Crusaders and Jerusalem again began to have a thriving Jewish population.

But that history aside, the point of the Psalm involves the importance of Jerusalem in Judaism as it would thenceforth have from the days of David.

-CryptoLutheran

Wow, this was at least a week ago I asked this. Thanks for the prompt response :)

So then it being history must mean that it's no longer the simple truth of God's word? IOW God's word is just another history book and it isn't actually living and powerful?

Jerusalem is the city of the great King..

Or is that just history too?

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe if we shift gears to the NT for a second to get your history on this verse concerning Jerusalem..

From Luke 21;

And they shall fall by the edge ofthe sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So then it being history must mean that it's no longer the simple truth of God's word? IOW God's word is just another history book and it isn't actually living and powerful?

Historical description and being divinely inspired are not mutually exclusive things.

Read Psalm 137, as just one example of descriptive, rather than eternally proscriptive, text in Scripture. Unless of course you think Psalm 137 is commanding infanticide.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If we going that deep in wickedness, then you have a point.

who knows?!, if the believer does not prove its beliefs/persuasions/things in the faith, then how to be sure whether its faith is right(eous) (enough) even if it is about old/ancient tradition?!, that is why Moses did not dare to make compromises with this, even when Korah, Dathan, Abiram and On brought 250 wisest men together with them in order to inculcate the idea that ostensibly all the worshipers are holy enough and do not need to repent, for this reason it is written:

1 John 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.",

1 Corinthians 11:27-29 "whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.",

2 Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?",

Galatians 6:4 "let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.",

Philippians 1:9-11 "this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.",

Thessalonians 1:5-21 "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Blessings

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Historical description and being divinely inspired are not mutually exclusive things.

Read Psalm 137, as just one example of descriptive, rather than eternally proscriptive, text in Scripture. Unless of course you think Psalm 137 is commanding infanticide.

-CryptoLutheran

So I'll take that as it's no longer the simple truth of God's word.

So IOW, don't pray for the peace of Jerusalem, and those that love thee shall not prosper, because it don't matter no more.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
who knows?!, if the believer does not prove its beliefs/persuasions/things in the faith, then how to be sure whether its faith is right(eous) (enough) even if it is about old/ancient tradition?!, that is why Moses did not dare to make compromises with this, even when Korah, Dathan, Abiram and On brought 250 wisest men together with them in order to inculcate the idea that ostensibly all the worshipers are holy enough and do not need to repent, for this reason it is written:

1 John 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.",

1 Corinthians 11:27-29 "whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.",

2 Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?",

Galatians 6:4 "let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.",

Philippians 1:9-11 "this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.",

Thessalonians 1:5-21 "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Blessings

who knows?!, if the believer does not prove its beliefs

I agree...those are some good verses, also this is how you know if a believer does not prove their beliefs. Jesus says in Matthew 7: 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Yeah...even satan knows the word of God, real good, but one thing satan cannot stop doing, and thats deceiving people. Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Lets take a look at what Jesus says in Matthew 7: 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Upvote 0