Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As a kid, I wondered if our Church is the True Church from Christ.

A few years ago, I started to discover the other churches(Protestant, Catholic)and the question popped in my head.

Is it the True Church? And I always answered with the answer Yes. If it wasn't surely God wouldn't have allowed it to continue this long.

Can someone help me out, and my apologies if I sound dumb for asking this. :(

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
Massachusetts, New England
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Whether one affirms the truth of Orthodoxy or not, it is important to note that its longevity alone doesn't prove it's veracity. Otherwise we would have to say the oldest extant religion, which isn't Orthodoxy, is the most true.

Indeed, let's not all become Hindus here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whether one affirms the truth of Orthodoxy or not, it is important to note that its longevity alone doesn't prove it's veracity. Otherwise we would have to say the oldest extant religion, which isn't Orthodoxy, is the most true.

Which is why it is important that we don't base our claim to the truth on our age alone. The Roman Church is almost as old as the Orthodox Church, and yet they have some grievous theological errors.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can see the claim being true, unaltered and unbroken since 2000C.E.

It's kind of hard to have an objective discussion about it here though. I mean, it doesn't matter if you ask this question in TAW or somewhere else on CF - I don't know if you would get a genuinely objective answer. I respect an Orthodox Christian who expresses honest doubt and uncertainty... it'd probably make me more inclined to explore Orthodoxy, or at least accept the merits of the claim that it is the true church.

Not trying to debate, just saying when it comes to these claims it seems like objectivity is hard to come by. If there is a "one true church" I think Orthodoxy has more weight in owning that title than anyone else.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,538.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
yes.

We engage in the same relationship of love as did our forefathers in the faith.
We continue to share in that same joy which the followers of Christ dwelt with, and which the prophets of old were so eager to pursue.

The Church is made a gift of faithfulness to us and we share in that.

Whether the Roman Catholic or Protestant churches are among the 'true church' is not really of any consequence.
What is of key importance is that the life of the Orthodox Church continues to life and to charge us in our devotion to God, and to the wellness of life here in our mortal existence.

Because the Orthodox Church is of such great importance in our lives, and because we draw so much joy from her unending resources, it is only natural for our love for the Church to express itself among those we meet.
The Peace of God which comes to the Orthodox believer is the greatest means of 'advertising' the faith to others. Let it not be our deeds but Christ's which call people home to Christ and His Saints.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As a kid, I wondered if our Church is the True Church from Christ.

A few years ago, I started to discover the other churches(Protestant, Catholic)and the question popped in my head.

Is it the True Church? And I always answered with the answer Yes. If it wasn't surely God wouldn't have allowed it to continue this long.

Can someone help me out, and my apologies if I sound dumb for asking this. :(

I think that is a good question and one that ultimately you will have to answer yourself. You can start by researching some of the claims being made here. Read some Church history, read about the councils and the early church fathers, and above all, read scripture. It's big task, but you should really try to read the entire NT at least three times. This will help you immensely in understanding Orthodox practices in the light of Christ.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would also suggest reading the lives of the saints, both the ancient and recent and see the same fruit of the Holy Spirit welling up in them. Yes, miracles also happen in heterodox churches, but the vast number which occur in the Orthodox church is almost embarrasing in comparison. Our Orthodox faith is also an organic whole where everything we believe is also lived out in the church. Then there is the Liturgy, which I will not attempt to elaborate on as there are others far better qualified to speak on that. Another inexaustible subject that many good books have been written on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can see the claim being true, unaltered and unbroken since 2000C.E.

It's kind of hard to have an objective discussion about it here though. I mean, it doesn't matter if you ask this question in TAW or somewhere else on CF - I don't know if you would get a genuinely objective answer. I respect an Orthodox Christian who expresses honest doubt and uncertainty... it'd probably make me more inclined to explore Orthodoxy, or at least accept the merits of the claim that it is the true church.

Not trying to debate, just saying when it comes to these claims it seems like objectivity is hard to come by. If there is a "one true church" I think Orthodoxy has more weight in owning that title than anyone else.

well, I think that it is Christ's guarentee that the gates of hades would not prevail. so that Church of the Apostles must still exist somewhere. not with one being closest to it, but one would actually have to be it for Christ's words to be true.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
well, I think that it is Christ's guarentee that the gates of hades would not prevail. so that Church of the Apostles must still exist somewhere. not with one being closest to it, but one would actually have to be it for Christ's words to be true.

The Orthodox Church is living proof of Christ's guarantee that the gates of Hades would not prevail, with as much persecution as she has lived through in her 2000 years.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If there is a "one true church" I think Orthodoxy has more weight in owning that title than anyone else.
Evidence alone as it concerns practices and authenticity in reflecting lifestyle of the Early Church more than others is something I don't see others able to easily say cannot be of the Orthodox Church. For me, it was the documentation alone (i.e. Councils, Church Fathers, etc.) - as well as the worship via symbolism and Temple Format - that convinced me of the validity ....and above all else, the sheer beauty/consistency found within it as it concerns their connection with the Past and not being concerned with constantly having to alter with the culture as many churches do today as if it's about keeping up with fashion trends or fads - and yet within the Ancientness of their practices, still managing to connect with others today practically when it comes to dealing with issues that plague our world.

I don't say that to say other churches outside of Orthodoxy have not reflected many aspects that were a part of the makeup of the Early Body of Believers (or prior with believers in the OT era) - but it is wonderful to know how so much of what others see did have a reference/beginning in the Orthodox Church....Eastern Christianity as a whole, actually, when it comes to the Middle-Eastern context that things developed in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0