Is the Human Brain a Null Hypothesis for Darwinian Evolution?

Can the Evolution of the Human Brain be a Basis for a Null Hypothesis of Darwinism?

• Total voters

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And since the Earth is ~4.5 billion years old and life came about ~3.5 billion years ago, evolution at even a fraction of Mark's purported pace easily accounts for the diversity of life on this planet from that first form...

It doesn't account for any of it, it's just an a priori assumption. Like you, evolutionists will pontificate the effect without any cause and call that science. It's not, it's supposition.

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't account for any of it, it's just an a priori assumption. Like you, evolutionists will pontificate the effect without any cause and call that science. It's not, it's supposition.

Mark
:D It's unbelievable that such basic education taken for granted in so many other first world Nations is put on the back burner in America to appease the religious extremists...

*Edit*: If you don't mind my asking Mark, how old do you think this planet is? For that matter, the universe too?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:D It's unbelievable that such basic education taken for granted in so many other first world Nations is put on the back burner in America to appease the religious extremists...

Why is it that anyone who believes in God or the Bible is an extremist? I got a fairly descent education and I have been reading on the subject of comparative anatomy, genomics and paleontology for over ten years. Yet someone who will offer nothing substantive, with anything remotely resembling source material, wants to tell me I'm some fanatical, uneducated extremist. My experience has been it's the Darwinian who is extreme, intolerant and willfully blind to the actual evidence.

*Edit*: If you don't mind my asking Mark, how old do you think this planet is? For that matter, the universe too?

I actually addressed this at length earlier in the thread, but here is the exposition again:

The phrase, 'heaven and the earth', is a Hebrew expression meaning the universe. All we really get from this passage is that the cosmos and earth were created, 'in the beginning'. The perspective of creation week is from the surface of the earth, starting with the Spirit of God hovering over the deep (Gen. 1:2). In the chapter there are three words used for God's work in creation. The first is 'created' ('bara' H1254) a very precise term used only of God. It is used once to describe the creation of the universe (Gen 1:1), then again to describe the creation of life (Gen 1:21). Finally, in the closing verses, it is used three times for the creation of Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:27). The word translated, 'made' (asah 6213), has a much broader range of meaning and is used to speak of the creation of the 'firmament' (Gen 1:7), the sun, moon and stars (Gen 1:16), procreation where offspring are made 'after his/their kind' (Gen 1:25) and as a general reference to creation in it's vast array (Gen 1:31).

Then there is a third term when God 'set' (nathan H2414), the lights of the sun, moon and stars so that their light is reqularly visible from the surface of the earth. In this way the narrative shifts from the very precise word for 'created' to the more general 'made', and then the much broader use of 'set'.
In short, the age of the earth and the universe is irrelevant to the doctrine of creation. God created the universe, 'heavens and the earth' (Gen 1:1), Life in general (Gen 1:21) and man (Gen. 1:25).

The universe and the globe we inhabit may well be billions of years old but life originating from exclusively naturalistic causes is nothing more then an a priori assumption.

Mark

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why is it that anyone who believes in God or the Bible is an extremist? I got a fairly descent education and I have been reading on the subject of comparative anatomy, genomics and paleontology for over ten years. Yet someone who will offer nothing substantive, with anything remotely resembling source material, wants to tell me I'm some fanatical, uneducated extremist. My experience has been it's the Darwinian who is extreme, intolerant and willfully blind to the actual evidence.
That's Exactly what I didn't say. Plenty of people here both believe in God and accept Evolution as the best (and only) scientific explanation for the diversity of life. I'd consider you a victim of said extremists though. You do seem to be very well read and articulate, you also take quite the fight against well evidenced Science in keeping to these fringe beliefs.

I know you couldn't do it now, but if you approached the concordant evidence for life over billions of years without the presupposition of creation, you wouldn't be denying the evidence you're shown on this forum with such fervor. The only conclusion I can come to when I come across someone in your position, is that you've been indoctrinated into an untenable form of your religion, you'll forever have to deny these parts of reality so long as you hold steadfastly onto the form of religion you have now.
I actually addressed this at length earlier in the thread, but here is the exposition again:

The phrase, 'heaven and the earth', is a Hebrew expression meaning the universe. All we really get from this passage is that the cosmos and earth were created, 'in the beginning'. The perspective of creation week is from the surface of the earth, starting with the Spirit of God hovering over the deep (Gen. 1:2). In the chapter there are three words used for God's work in creation. The first is 'created' ('bara' H1254) a very precise term used only of God. It is used once to describe the creation of the universe (Gen 1:1), then again to describe the creation of life (Gen 1:21). Finally, in the closing verses, it is used three times for the creation of Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:27). The word translated, 'made' (asah 6213), has a much broader range of meaning and is used to speak of the creation of the 'firmament' (Gen 1:7), the sun, moon and stars (Gen 1:16), procreation where offspring are made 'after his/their kind' (Gen 1:25) and as a general reference to creation in it's vast array (Gen 1:31).

Then there is a third term when God 'set' (nathan H2414), the lights of the sun, moon and stars so that their light is reqularly visible from the surface of the earth. In this way the narrative shifts from the very precise word for 'created' to the more general 'made', and then the much broader use of 'set'.
In short, the age of the earth and the universe is irrelevant to the doctrine of creation. God created the universe, 'heavens and the earth' (Gen 1:1), Life in general (Gen 1:21) and man (Gen. 1:25).

The universe and the globe we inhabit may well be billions of years old but life originating from exclusively naturalistic causes is nothing more then an a priori assumption.

Mark
so, the Earth can be 4.5 Billion years old then, it's just Life that's been created within recent times (say, 6,000 years)? Correct me if I've got that wrong, but that's certainly an unusual form of YEC that I've seen so far if this is right... How about Dinosaurs, are the fossils of Dinosaurs we find under layers of volcanic rock that date tens to hundreds of millions of years old, at least that old? What does this mean for your Created Kinds as God put forth?

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Who are you talking to? I'm telling you the obvious logical consequences of the timeline in Scripture. You don't really know what the effect of predation would have been on migrating populations but it fits what we know about migration patterns.

I'll tell you the effect of predation on a breeding pair. Once one of them is eaten, they can no longer breed.

If all the species that can breed are simply not allowed to be preyed upon so that they can breed, then the carnivores starve to death.

Those of us who interpret Genesis one and two in a non-literal way to be compatible with the findings of science do not have the problem of postulating a completely illogical scenario.

We trust God was not putting lies into the fossils, the stars, and the genomes.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's Exactly what I didn't say. Plenty of people here both believe in God and accept Evolution as the best (and only) scientific explanation for the diversity of life. I'd consider you a victim of said extremists though. You do seem to be very well read and articulate, you also take quite the fight against well evidenced Science in keeping to these fringe beliefs.

That fringe belief is reflected in 42% of the US population and certainly nothing extreme about holding to the same tradition Christians have for 2,000 years.

qlkv1bjc1ewmyfp0xrqvhg.png

Evolution, Creation and Intelligent Design Gallup

But the only possible view has to be a Darwinian naturalistic one, anything else is extremist, which is pure undiluted prejudice.

I know you couldn't do it now, but if you approached the concordant evidence for life over billions of years without the presupposition of creation, you wouldn't be denying the evidence you're shown on this forum with such fervor.

Which invariably comes in the form of these pedantic taunts and retorts that are devoid of, in fact oblivious to, the actual evidence. My convictions regarding the historicity of Scripture comes from the New Testament, I studied Christian apologetics for almost 20 years before I even knew this creation/evolution side show was going on. The a priori reasoning I believe to be self evident is something all people have but they suppress the truth in unrighteousness:

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (Rom. 1:21)
You know nothing about my religious views, as a matter of fact you know nothing about what I believe concerning the evidence. What's more you have demonstrated that you haven't the slightest interest in science as philosophy of natural history. All you do is make biting personal remarks as if it were somehow based in science, it's not, it's just petty debate tactics, nothing more.

The only conclusion I can come to when I come across someone in your position, is that you've been indoctrinated into an untenable form of your religion, you'll forever have to deny these parts of reality so long as you hold steadfastly onto the form of religion you have now.

A couple of things, one, the evidence is the same for everyone. Two, differing world views are just that, a difference in perspective. Most importantly, God is the ultimate reality in the universe and these ad hominem fallacies will not change that. As a matter of fact I was nearly convinced several times and it would have been easy enough to rearrange some theological principles to accommodate a different historical premise. My religion would be unchanged, once again, you don't know what your talking about because you think you already know everything.

so, the Earth can be 4.5 Billion years old then, it's just Life that's been created within recent times (say, 6,000 years)? Correct me if I've got that wrong, but that's certainly an unusual form of YEC that I've seen so far if this is right... How about Dinosaurs, are the fossils of Dinosaurs we find under layers of volcanic rock that date tens to hundreds of millions of years old, at least that old? What does this mean for your Created Kinds as God put forth?

I interpret the history of the narrative in Scripture based on exposition and exegetical study. The age of the earth and cosmos is utterly irrelevant to the doctrine of creation simply because 'in the beginning' is far too general to be nailed down to 6000 years. Creation week is linked to an unbroken time line that transcends the Old Testament and confirmed in Matthew and Luke, Luke's genealogy ending with Christ and starting with Adam. In Luke's genealogy Adam is called son of God indicating he had no human parents, created not evolved, which confirms the Genesis account to a tee.

But to answer your question, yea, it's an awkward position. Most creationists hold strictly to a young earth/universe strictly and tenaciously. Those who see the opening line of Genesis as a separate, stand alone account, have something called the gap theory That theory, popular with theistic evolutionists, transforms it into a principle of interpretation rendering any reference to time lines utterly meaningless.

Now if you want to get into dinosaurs I'm fine with that but not like this. If you want to talk about radiometric dating I have some opinions but never pursued the topic with any seriousness or engagement. My central focus is human evolution and the key trait I look at in comparative studies is the human brain as compared to Chimpanzees and Hominid fossils. The fossils are fascinating, the comparative studies are illuminating but Genetics is the prize. It's what settled the matter for me years ago and if I were to be persuaded against the creationist view of the creation of life it would have to be on that basis.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll tell you the effect of predation on a breeding pair. Once one of them is eaten, they can no longer breed.

Still waiting for you to make a point...

If all the species that can breed are simply not allowed to be preyed upon so that they can breed, then the carnivores starve to death.

Um....yea....so....

Those of us who interpret Genesis one and two in a non-literal way to be compatible with the findings of science do not have the problem of postulating a completely illogical scenario.

Genesis is written as an historical narrative, as with all historic narratives a literal reading is always preferred. What's more there is absolutely no figurative language, the 'like' or 'as' or literary equivalent does not exist in any of the narratives of Genesis or the Pentateuch for that matter. Your alternative is pedantic and shrill, lacks any substantive point of reference and has every appearance of being completely random argumentation.

Try honestly understanding the scenario before rejecting it categorically.

We trust God was not putting lies into the fossils, the stars, and the genomes.

The conclusions you are jumping to are not based on fossils, stars or genomes, you haven't shown any indication you have the slightest interest. God certainly didn't plant evidence and if he did you would never know, never care because you are never interested.

The second most common fallacy on these boards, called begging the question of proof. Yours is a little different because I would call it desperate pleading.

Mark

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That fringe belief is reflected in 42% of the US population and certainly nothing extreme about holding to the same tradition Christians have for 2,000 years.

qlkv1bjc1ewmyfp0xrqvhg.png

Evolution, Creation and Intelligent Design Gallup
....like you said, in America. I actually meant in Science - Go look at other countries' populations though. This is why the rest of the world finds the US Education system the laughing stock of the first world countries.
But the only possible view has to be a Darwinian naturalistic one, anything else is extremist, which is pure undiluted prejudice.
It's the ONLY Scientific Theory, how is that prejudicial?
Which invariably comes in the form of these pedantic taunts and retorts that are devoid of, in fact oblivious to, the actual evidence. My convictions regarding the historicity of Scripture comes from the New Testament, I studied Christian apologetics for almost 20 years before I even knew this creation/evolution side show was going on. The a priori reasoning I believe to be self evident is something all people have but they suppress the truth in unrighteousness:
I have no reason to believe your religion is based on any reality, and have had little exposure to it, and certainly no more exposure than I have to a number of other religions that are equally unfounded. When I see Scientific Evidence, I can therefore evaluate that evidence with no presuppositions whatsoever.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (Rom. 1:21)​
"Chewie, we're home." - Han Solo | Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, 2015
You know nothing about my religious views, as a matter of fact you know nothing about what I believe concerning the evidence. What's more you have demonstrated that you haven't the slightest interest in science as philosophy of natural history. All you do is make biting personal remarks as if it were somehow based in science, it's not, it's just petty debate tactics, nothing more.
Correct, I don't know your religious views, and they don't really concern me much, other than the impact they have on the people around you. You're also right in that I don't know what you make of the evidence, which is why I'm asking questions of you.

Also, please note that I'm not making personal digs at you at all, I understand that some people are so invested in their beliefs, that it might seem personal to them when it actually isn't. I am questioning (ridiculing even?) those beliefs, especially the ones that are dangerous! These deserve to be challenged - if your version of your religion is the correct one, then what problem should you have? Wouldn't you have all the support in God's universe at your disposal if you are right?
A couple of things, one, the evidence is the same for everyone. Two, differing world views are just that, a difference in perspective. Most importantly, God is the ultimate reality in the universe and these ad hominem fallacies will not change that. As a matter of fact I was nearly convinced several times and it would have been easy enough to rearrange some theological principles to accommodate a different historical premise. My religion would be unchanged, once again, you don't know what your talking about because you think you already know everything.
Nope, I'm happy to admit I don't know everything, not by a Long shot! Also, I agree that actual evidence will be the same for all of us, but this nonsense about "world views" might be a bugbear of mine. To take Science seriously is to discard any filter whatsoever (so as few presuppositions as absolutely necessary), and a world view would be the biggest impediment of them all. I still have no reason to believe in your God, and I can clearly see where you go astray in your Science now. Remember, I'm not insulting you, but all I see is an unfounded presupposition, and a big one at that.

If Professional Scientists of all nationalities from all over the world and of all religions speaking all different languages can find concordance on any aspect of Science and in particular the Theory of Evolution, why are you surprised that your vocal denial of these concordant lines of evidence draws the ire of those that do accept it, particularly those that value teaching the next generation this invaluable knowledge?
I interpret the history of the narrative in Scripture based on exposition and exegetical study. The age of the earth and cosmos is utterly irrelevant to the doctrine of creation simply because 'in the beginning' is far too general to be nailed down to 6000 years. Creation week is linked to an unbroken time line that transcends the Old Testament and confirmed in Matthew and Luke, Luke's genealogy ending with Christ and starting with Adam. In Luke's genealogy Adam is called son of God indicating he had no human parents, created not evolved, which confirms the Genesis account to a tee.
So you say.
But to answer your question, yea, it's an awkward position. Most creationists hold strictly to a young earth/universe strictly and tenaciously. Those who see the opening line of Genesis as a separate, stand alone account, have something called the gap theory That theory, popular with theistic evolutionists, transforms it into a principle of interpretation rendering any reference to time lines utterly meaningless.
Some believers care about what is true, as in, it matches with reality.
Now if you want to get into dinosaurs I'm fine with that but not like this. If you want to talk about radiometric dating I have some opinions but never pursued the topic with any seriousness or engagement. My central focus is human evolution and the key trait I look at in comparative studies is the human brain as compared to Chimpanzees and Hominid fossils. The fossils are fascinating, the comparative studies are illuminating but Genetics is the prize. It's what settled the matter for me years ago and if I were to be persuaded against the creationist view of the creation of life it would have to be on that basis.

Mark
Doesn't it bother you that every Scientist working in the field of genetics and DNA accept that we had a common ancestor with Chimpanzees? I'm going to go right out on a limb here and say that each of them would likely have more training and a deeper understanding in genetics & DNA than you and I combined.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Still waiting for you to make a point...

The point is simple. There was no global flood. The world that was flooded was merely the world as known to Noah. His whole world was flooded, which was not the globe.

Genesis is written as an historical narrative, as with all historic narratives a literal reading is always preferred. What's more there is absolutely no figurative language, the 'like' or 'as' or literary equivalent does not exist in any of the narratives of Genesis or the Pentateuch for that matter. Your alternative is pedantic and shrill, lacks any substantive point of reference and has every appearance of being completely random argumentation.

Well, actually, the alternative is the scenario patiently worked out and understood from examining our world and its fossils, the biological world and its genetics, the whole universe of stars and its history.

Try honestly understanding the scenario before rejecting it categorically.

Honesty is what allows me to hold my present point of view.

The conclusions you are jumping to are not based on fossils, stars or genomes, you haven't shown any indication you have the slightest interest. God certainly didn't plant evidence and if he did you would never know, never care because you are never interested.

The heavens declare the glory of God, even if, in practice, you deny it.

His creation shows the traces of how He created, and that "how" is common descent of all life and evolution.

The second most common fallacy on these boards, called begging the question of proof. Yours is a little different because I would call it desperate pleading.

Mark

You posted that meanwhile possessing a coccyx, a broken vitamin C gene, useless ear wiggling muscles, sharing the same backwards design of retinal cells all other quadruped life shares (in contrast with cephalopod eyes, that all share the more reasonable straight design consisting of sensing elements first, supporting elements second).

You posted that in spite of being a bilaterian, a vertebrate, a mammal, a primate, an ape, a human.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
....like you said, in America. I actually meant in Science - Go look at other countries' populations though. This is why the rest of the world finds the US Education system the laughing stock of the first world countries.

Who are these first world countries? The problem with you guys is that you are weak on the specifics.

It's the ONLY Scientific Theory, how is that prejudicial?

That's just not true, in fact, Darwinism has never qualified as an hypothesis let alone a theory. It certainly never qualified as a natural law and yet you feel free to pass it off as science itself. That is demeaning to science and a sad debate tactic.

I have no reason to believe your religion is based on any reality, and have had little exposure to it, and certainly no more exposure than I have to a number of other religions that are equally unfounded. When I see Scientific Evidence, I can therefore evaluate that evidence with no presuppositions whatsoever.
"Chewie, we're home." - Han Solo | Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, 2015
Something you say without reference to anything remotely scientific or evidential. Batting a thousand!

Correct, I don't know your religious views, and they don't really concern me much, other than the impact they have on the people around you. You're also right in that I don't know what you make of the evidence, which is why I'm asking questions of you.

No actual questions, no actual evidence and nothing lucid with regards to anything remotely religious. You have no substantive base and still have the audacity to be condescending, gotta love the nerve but the rest is less then impressive.

Also, please note that I'm not making personal digs at you at all, I understand that some people are so invested in their beliefs, that it might seem personal to them when it actually isn't. I am questioning (ridiculing even?) those beliefs, especially the ones that are dangerous! These deserve to be challenged - if your version of your religion is the correct one, then what problem should you have? Wouldn't you have all the support in God's universe at your disposal if you are right?

My religion happens to have a 2,000 year history which is evidenced by a literary legacy that spans human history counting the Hebrew tradition. Yours has one that barely has a substantive base, not counting the philosophical epistemology generously refereed to as scientific but really qualifies only as pedantic banter.

Nope, I'm happy to admit I don't know everything, not by a Long shot! Also, I agree that actual evidence will be the same for all of us, but this nonsense about "world views" might be a bugbear of mine. To take Science seriously is to discard any filter whatsoever (so as few presuppositions as absolutely necessary), and a world view would be the biggest impediment of them all. I still have no reason to believe in your God, and I can clearly see where you go astray in your Science now. Remember, I'm not insulting you, but all I see is an unfounded presupposition, and a big one at that.

You nailed it, unfounded presupposition but I'm not the one who came to a conclusion without reference to actual evidence, theory or sound logic, that would be you. It is astonishing how unbelievably confident you guys can be without doing any reading, let alone study, let alone actual evidence. Then you pretend to have some nebulous intellectual high ground that exists only in your own mind.

If Professional Scientists of all nationalities from all over the world and of all religions speaking all different languages can find concordance on any aspect of Science and in particular the Theory of Evolution, why are you surprised that your vocal denial of these concordant lines of evidence draws the ire of those that do accept it, particularly those that value teaching the next generation this invaluable knowledge?

You really don't get it, science produces something, the end product is not in dispute. The limitations are evident and obvious. No one is up in arms about science, none of the creationists are opposed to it. The problem is Darwinism and the fact that they pass themselves off as the emissaries of science is laughable. It's an effect without a cause, nothing more.

Doesn't it bother you that every Scientist working in the field of genetics and DNA accept that we had a common ancestor with Chimpanzees? I'm going to go right out on a limb here and say that each of them would likely have more training and a deeper understanding in genetics & DNA than you and I combined.

I base my position on what they publish because the fact is they don't honestly admit that implications of the differences, particularly the ones thought to be the result of indels. OK, you want to take up the gauntlet for the cause of science answer me a simple question. As a percentage how much does the DNA of human and chimpanzee genomes differ based on genomic comparisons?

My guess is the honest answer here is you don't know but I won't hold my breath waiting on a real answer.

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The point is simple. There was no global flood. The world that was flooded was merely the world as known to Noah. His whole world was flooded, which was not the globe.

That's not a point, it's an opinion.

Well, actually, the alternative is the scenario patiently worked out and understood from examining our world and its fossils, the biological world and its genetics, the whole universe of stars and its history.

You studied all of that? Did you study any of that? How could a guy so vastly well read, spend so many rounds of discussion, without any reference to any of it? Curious, very curious indeed.

Honesty is what allows me to hold my present point of view.

I remain unconvinced.

The heavens declare the glory of God, even if, in practice, you deny it.

The heavens God created reflect God's glory. Unlike you I do not deny God is Creator, but like all good evolutionists you refuse to glorify God as Creator or even give him credit as designer. That's how you glorify God, by giving God glory for nothing? What did I miss?

His creation shows the traces of how He created, and that "how" is common descent of all life and evolution.

Oh, so God can be Creator as long as he never actually creates anything, or designs anything, and uses elusively naturalistic means. That's not materialistic atheism at all, or deism or even pantheism. Actually it's almost pious, wow, did I ever get the wrong impression about you.

You posted that meanwhile possessing a coccyx, a broken vitamin C gene, useless ear wiggling muscles, sharing the same backwards design of retinal cells all other quadruped life shares (in contrast with cephalopod eyes, that all share the more reasonable straight design consisting of sensing elements first, supporting elements second).

Wow, that sounds remotely esoteric. I'm guessing you have a point in there somewhere but missed it entirely.

You posted that in spite of being a bilaterian, a vertebrate, a mammal, a primate, an ape, a human.

Actually I'm a Calvinist, evangelical with a strong presuppositional apologetic base and an evidential logic. A little unusual but strangely resilient. What is really fascinating is not one of you has managed to realize that Creationism is a New Testament doctrine. Sad really but encouraging at the same time. You will never realize why your arguments can't put a dent in Creationism. It's not the evidence, it's the deplorable lack of scientific and theological acumen at fault.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who are these first world countries? The problem with you guys is that you are weak on the specifics.
Here's one... http://www.scienceagainstevolution.org/v11i6f.htm - a better breakdown of this data they're so upset about here... http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=507 - and yet a better representation of this data can be found here... http://www.calamitiesofnature.com/archive/?c=559 - a stark highlight of how far outside the bell curve the US is on science education. It's not that Americans are undereducated - it's just that science education and awareness is avoided by Teachers to not upset & offend the religious zealots.... path of least resistance that's coming back around to collect it's dues.
That's just not true, in fact, Darwinism has never qualified as an hypothesis let alone a theory. It certainly never qualified as a natural law and yet you feel free to pass it off as science itself. That is demeaning to science and a sad debate tactic.
but Evolution IS a theory - even if Darwinism isn't.... or whatever darwinism is supposed to be... Creationism though, that isn't even a starter in Science. Happy to assess the evidence for any hypothesis you'd like to put forward tho, especially a falsifiable test?
Something you say without reference to anything remotely scientific or evidential. Batting a thousand!
I don't need scientific evidence to NOT accept your particular belief. Do you accept there's a teapot orbiting Mars?
No actual questions, no actual evidence and nothing lucid with regards to anything remotely religious. You have no substantive base and still have the audacity to be condescending, gotta love the nerve but the rest is less then impressive.
:D I'm not condescending, and in no way would I hold a candle to you if I were either - I think there's a little projection going on there. There's no evidence for your version of your God, I don't even have any scientific evidence to consider, let alone accept. On the other hand, I accept the scientific evidence for the Theory of Evolution because, for starters, that evidence exists. Secondly, it has as few assumptions required while having the most explanatory power.
My religion happens to have a 2,000 year history which is evidenced by a literary legacy that spans human history counting the Hebrew tradition. Yours has one that barely has a substantive base, not counting the philosophical epistemology generously refereed to as scientific but really qualifies only as pedantic banter.
There are religions being practiced today that have a history outdating the earliest Abrahamic religion by a thousand years. Look into The Vedas of the Hindus for a start.
You nailed it, unfounded presupposition but I'm not the one who came to a conclusion without reference to actual evidence, theory or sound logic, that would be you. It is astonishing how unbelievably confident you guys can be without doing any reading, let alone study, let alone actual evidence. Then you pretend to have some nebulous intellectual high ground that exists only in your own mind.
Well, I've read Plenty on the subject, particularly here on this forum by those working in the field. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but there's plenty of conversations I've avidly followed, especially the ones you proclaim your opponent was preaching to an empty hall! :D Those are often the best ones, usually where you keep getting called out blatantly ignoring a point someone or other has made - telling right there.
You really don't get it, science produces something, the end product is not in dispute. The limitations are evident and obvious. No one is up in arms about science, none of the creationists are opposed to it. The problem is Darwinism and the fact that they pass themselves off as the emissaries of science is laughable. It's an effect without a cause, nothing more.
Well, yes, creationists are opposed to it. Evolution is probably the most well evidenced scientific theory we have. Even if the issues pointed out by creationists were half as bad as they'd like to imagine, the Theory of Evolution is still the ONLY Scientific Theory on the diversity of life.
I base my position on what they publish because the fact is they don't honestly admit that implications of the differences, particularly the ones thought to be the result of indels. OK, you want to take up the gauntlet for the cause of science answer me a simple question. As a percentage how much does the DNA of human and chimpanzee genomes differ based on genomic comparisons?

My guess is the honest answer here is you don't know but I won't hold my breath waiting on a real answer.
Again, not an expert, but the accepted science is between 96% and 98% depending on the method of measure. Indels are an observed phenomenon, so not considering them in any comparison is a fundamental mistake. Why wouldn't you consider Indels? That aside, I've seen numerous explanatory lectures on the subject, and one by Kenneth Miller about the chromosome fusion comparison between us and Chimpanzees on Chromosome 2. The GENOME Team put forth an evolutionary prediction (i.e. a Falsifiable test) on what they'd find between Chimps and Humans with 24 pairs and 23 pairs of chromosomes respectively, and indeed, this prediction Passed with flying colours!
Mark
Thank you, You too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's one... http://www.scienceagainstevolution.org/v11i6f.htm - a better breakdown of this data they're so upset about here... http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=507 - and yet a better representation of this data can be found here... http://www.calamitiesofnature.com/archive/?c=559 - a stark highlight of how far outside the bell curve the US is on science education. It's not that Americans are undereducated - it's just that science education and awareness is avoided by Teachers to not upset & offend the religious zealots.... path of least resistance that's coming back around to collect it's dues.

Creation isn't taught in the public schools because the Creator or the Designer is God.

A significant aspect of the IDM [intelligent design movement] is that despite Defendants' protestations to the contrary, it describes ID as a religious argument. In that vein, the writings of leading ID proponents reveal that the designer postulated by their argument is the God of Christianity. (page 26 Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. v. Dover Area School District)
It has nothing to do with whether or not it's true. In the United States religion is protected from governmental interference and there is a long history of Christianity thriving here. Academics in the United States, even in seminaries, long ago abandoned the Bible as history and yet the collective acumen in the sciences are limited to those who have access to higher education and specialized training. It's been my experience that Darwinians are woefully inadequate when it comes to actual scientific details, they prefer to talk in generalities.

but Evolution IS a theory - even if Darwinism isn't.... or whatever darwinism is supposed to be... Creationism though, that isn't even a starter in Science. Happy to assess the evidence for any hypothesis you'd like to put forward tho, especially a falsifiable test?

First of all evolution is not a theory, it's a phenomenon in nature. Darwinism is the theory of natural selection that categorically rejects any miraculous cause. It embodies:

The doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species. He first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (Darwin, On the Origin of Species)
Newton said the first rule of science is:

admit no more causes of natural things than are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances,
(Four Rules of Scientific Reasoning. Principia Mathematica. Isaac Newton)
In the same book Newton includes an Intelligent Design argument:

This most beautiful System of the Sun, Planets, and Comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful being. And if the fixed Stars are the centers of other like systems, these, being form’d by the like wise counsel, must be all subject to the dominion of One; especially since the light of the fixed Stars is of the same nature with the light of the Sun, and from every system light passes into all the other systems. And lest the systems of the fixed Stars should, by their gravity, fall on each other mutually, he hath placed those Systems at immense distances from one another. (Newton, Principia)
What changed wasn't science, it was the supposition of Darwinian logic. Science and supposition are not the same thing but they are equivocated as if they were just as Darwinian naturalistic assumptions are often equivocated with evolution.

I don't need scientific evidence to NOT accept your particular belief. Do you accept there's a teapot orbiting Mars?

I don't need you to accept what I believe, you already have everything you need. People suppress the truth in unrighteousness and attribute to nature what is rightfully attributed to God:

Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. (Rom. 1:22, 23)​

:D I'm not condescending, and in no way would I hold a candle to you if I were either - I think there's a little projection going on there. There's no evidence for your version of your God, I don't even have any scientific evidence to consider, let alone accept. On the other hand, I accept the scientific evidence for the Theory of Evolution because, for starters, that evidence exists. Secondly, it has as few assumptions required while having the most explanatory power.

The evidence doesn't change for me and it's not something naturalistic assumptions gives you exclusive access to. I have access to the scientific evidence, searched relentlessly through the scientific literature and found the Darwinian myth of the stone age ape man to be contrived, conflated and utterly false. Your not embracing science here otherwise we would be talking about Mendelian genetics. You are not backing up what you say from evidence, you post three links you didn't even bother to quote or cite, I'd be surprised if you actually read them.

There are religions being practiced today that have a history outdating the earliest Abrahamic religion by a thousand years. Look into The Vedas of the Hindus for a start.

I did comparative studies of religions before I ever heard of Darwinism.

When the sky above was not named,
And the earth beneath did not yet bear a name,
And the primeval Apsû, who begat them,
And chaos, Tiamat, the mother of them both,
Their waters were mingled together,
And no field was formed, no marsh was to be seen;
When of the gods none had been called into being. (Enûma Eliš Babylonian Creation Myth)
The pagan elementals came before the gods in ancient mythology. The God of the Hebrews, the same God of Christian theism, the One True Everlasting Most High created the heavens and all that is in them. Especially emphasized in Scripture is the creation of life in general and man in particular. This is nothing new, this controversy has spanned church history.

In regard to the making of the universe and the creation of all things there have been various opinions, and each person has propounded the theory that suited his own taste. For instance, some say that all things are self- originated and, so to speak, haphazard. The Epicureans are among these; they deny that there is any Mind behind the universe at all. (Athanasius On The Incarnation 296 AD)
There are two possible sources, mythical elementals and God. Charles Darwin's grandfather wrote a myth about creation, Charles actually went into the family business when he wrote On the Origin of Species. Mythography has always been more popular then genuine theism:

Nurs'd by warm sun-beams in primeval caves
Organic Life began beneath the waves.
"ORGANIC LIFE beneath the shoreless waves
Was born and nurs'd in Ocean's pearly caves;
First forms minute, unseen by spheric glass,
Move on the mud, or pierce the watery mass;
These, as successive generations bloom
New powers acquire, and larger limbs assume;
Whence countless groups of vegetation spring,
And breathing realms of fin, and feet, and wing. (Erasmus Darwin, Temple of Nature)
Well, I've read Plenty on the subject, particularly here on this forum by those working in the field. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but there's plenty of conversations I've avidly followed, especially the ones you proclaim your opponent was preaching to an empty hall! :D Those are often the best ones, usually where you keep getting called out blatantly ignoring a point someone or other has made - telling right there.

Oh yea, I get annoyed with people who want to talk to me in the third person and there is a quote by Francis Bacon I have long admired for it's eloquence and style:

Idols of the Theater are those which are due to sophistry and false learning. These idols are built up in the field of theology, philosophy, and science, and because they are defended by learned groups are accepted without question by the masses. When false philosophies have been cultivated and have attained a wide sphere of dominion in the world of the intellect they are no longer questioned. False superstructures are raised on false foundations, and in the end systems barren of merit parade their grandeur on the stage of the world. (Francis Bacon, Idols of the Mind)
Just love that.

Well, yes, creationists are opposed to it. Evolution is probably the most well evidenced scientific theory we have. Even if the issues pointed out by creationists were half as bad as they'd like to imagine, the Theory of Evolution is still the ONLY Scientific Theory on the diversity of life.

Define evolution. Scientifically it's the change of alleles in populations over time. The Darwinian logic is predicated on the a priori assumption of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means. Like all logical fallacies that is an argument that never happened. Define the term or the argument is meaningless and certainly an ambiquise term is useless for postulating a unified theory of natural history.

Again, not an expert, but the accepted science is between 96% and 98% depending on the method of measure. Indels are an observed phenomenon, so not considering them in any comparison is a fundamental mistake. Why wouldn't you consider Indels?

Single-nucleotide substitutions occur at a mean rate of 1.23%...
Orthologous proteins... 29% being identical and the typical orthologue differing by only two amino acids, one per lineage...
On the basis of this analysis, we estimate that the human and chimpanzee genomes each contain 40–45 Mb of species-specific euchromatic sequence, and the indel differences between the genomes thus total ~90 Mb. This difference corresponds to ~3% of both genomes and dwarfs the 1.23% (Chimpanzee Genome, 2005)
It's 98% and some change if you don't count indels, it's less then 96% if you do. That's why most evolutionists pretend the indels don't exist, they have no way of explaining them.
That aside, I've seen numerous explanatory lectures on the subject, and one by Kenneth Miller about the chromosome fusion comparison between us and Chimpanzees on Chromosome 2. The GENOME Team put forth an evolutionary prediction (i.e. a Falsifiable test) on what they'd find between Chimps and Humans with 24 pairs and 23 pairs of chromosomes respectively, and indeed, this prediction Passed with flying colours!

Thank you, You too!

I've seen all of Kenneth Miller's stuff, he was a key person in the Dover trial. Read a lot of Behe at the time as well. It's not a falsifiable test if you already know the tag element is there. The way falsifiablity works is first you have to accept the inverse logic. If there is an up, there must be a down, if there is an on, there must be an off.

Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence. (D. Futuyma, Science on Trial)
Accept the inverse logic and we can start talking about potential falsifiability. Start of with an a priori assumption and these inferences from anecdotal evidence are just another performance in the Darwinian Theater of the Mind. Alas, all the greatest performers have left the stage, the culture wars are over, just little ole me up in the balcony munching on popcorn and watching the show.

By the way, I've just been testing the waters lately, can't believe how this place has cleared out. Always before there would be a troll in every thread getting more vicious with every post. I'm glad the nasty little buggers are gone, I'm thinking this might be a time for an actual discussion. I'd enjoy that, Comparative studies: Fossils, Genomics and Anatomy. Something like that, just haven't had time to put it together.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Creation isn't taught in the public schools because the Creator or the Designer is God.

A significant aspect of the IDM [intelligent design movement] is that despite Defendants' protestations to the contrary, it describes ID as a religious argument. In that vein, the writings of leading ID proponents reveal that the designer postulated by their argument is the God of Christianity. (page 26 Tammy Kitzmiller, et al. v. Dover Area School District)
It has nothing to do with whether or not it's true.
Actually, it Does. Even if that decision didn't find an issue in separation of Church and State, you missed some other important findings in that decision, so let me highlight them for you:
  • Throughout the trial and in various submissions to the Court, Defendants vigorously argue that the reading of the statement is not 'teaching' ID but instead is merely 'making students aware of it.' In fact, one consistency among the Dover School Board members' testimony, which was marked by selective memories and outright lies under oath, as will be discussed in more detail below, is that they did not think they needed to be knowledgeable about ID because it was not being taught to the students. We disagree. ... an educator reading the disclaimer is engaged in teaching, even if it is colossally bad teaching. ... Defendants' argument is a red herring because the Establishment Clause forbids not just 'teaching' religion, but any governmental action that endorses or has the primary purpose or effect of advancing religion. (footnote 7 on page 46)
  • After a searching review of the record and applicable caselaw, we find that while ID arguments may be true, a proposition on which the Court takes no position, ID is not science. We find that ID fails on three different levels, any one of which is sufficient to preclude a determination that ID is science. They are: (1) ID violates the centuries-old ground rules of science by invoking and permitting supernatural causation; (2) the argument of irreducible complexity, central to ID, employs the same flawed and illogical contrived dualism that doomed creation science in the 1980s; and (3) ID's negative attacks on evolution have been refuted by the scientific community. … It is additionally important to note that ID has failed to gain acceptance in the scientific community, it has not generated peer-reviewed publications, nor has it been the subject of testing and research. Expert testimony reveals that since the scientific revolution of the 16th and 17th centuries, science has been limited to the search for natural causes to explain natural phenomena. (page 64) [for "contrived dualism", see false dilemma.]
**Added in EDIT** : In his Conclusion, he wrote:
  • The proper application of both the endorsement and Lemon tests to the facts of this case makes it abundantly clear that the Board's ID Policy violates the Establishment Clause. In making this determination, we have addressed the seminal question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not, and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents. [...]
First of all evolution is not a theory,
Let me stop you there, it is. The Theory of Evolution is a Theory.
it's a phenomenon in nature. Darwinism is the theory of natural selection that categorically rejects any miraculous cause. It embodies:

The doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species. He first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (Darwin, On the Origin of Species)
And to be sure, Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection was a great basis to start from, but we have moved on from here.
Newton said the first rule of science is:
admit no more causes of natural things than are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances,
(Four Rules of Scientific Reasoning. Principia Mathematica. Isaac Newton)
which seems like sound advice...
In the same book Newton includes an Intelligent Design argument:

This most beautiful System of the Sun, Planets, and Comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful being. And if the fixed Stars are the centers of other like systems, these, being form’d by the like wise counsel, must be all subject to the dominion of One; especially since the light of the fixed Stars is of the same nature with the light of the Sun, and from every system light passes into all the other systems. And lest the systems of the fixed Stars should, by their gravity, fall on each other mutually, he hath placed those Systems at immense distances from one another. (Newton, Principia)
So Newton hit the limit of his understanding and resigns the rest to his personal God of choice. We now know better and our cosmological understanding is vastly improved with Einstein's Theory of Relativity that superseded his Theory of Gravity. Now, the odd orbit of Mercury isn't such a mystery.
What changed wasn't science, it was the supposition of Darwinian logic. Science and supposition are not the same thing but they are equivocated as if they were just as Darwinian naturalistic assumptions are often equivocated with evolution.
Odd. It seems to me that Darwin followed Newton's Four Rules of Scientific Reasoning - therefore, IF any change came about in Science, it was Newton that changed it, not Darwin
I don't need you to accept what I believe, you already have everything you need. People suppress the truth in unrighteousness and attribute to nature what is rightfully attributed to God:

Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. (Rom. 1:22, 23)
Then why would you expect Science and the Scientific Method to incorporate your Supernatural belief then?

"I don't want to survive. I want to live." - (12 Years a Slave, 2013)

The evidence doesn't change for me and it's not something naturalistic assumptions gives you exclusive access to. I have access to the scientific evidence, searched relentlessly through the scientific literature and found the Darwinian myth of the stone age ape man to be contrived, conflated and utterly false. Your not embracing science here otherwise we would be talking about Mendelian genetics. You are not backing up what you say from evidence, you post three links you didn't even bother to quote or cite, I'd be surprised if you actually read them.
Sure I read them. This isn't a formal debate and the three links all referenced the same original research from 2005 anyway. I also gave you an adequate description of what was in them to satisfy your request for such data in the first instance. The Theory of Evolution is still the only Scientific Theory for the diversification of life on this planet.
I did comparative studies of religions before I ever heard of Darwinism.

When the sky above was not named,
And the earth beneath did not yet bear a name,
And the primeval Apsû, who begat them,
And chaos, Tiamat, the mother of them both,
Their waters were mingled together,
And no field was formed, no marsh was to be seen;
When of the gods none had been called into being. (Enûma Eliš Babylonian Creation Myth)
The pagan elementals came before the gods in ancient mythology. The God of the Hebrews, the same God of Christian theism, the One True Everlasting Most High created the heavens and all that is in them. Especially emphasized in Scripture is the creation of life in general and man in particular. This is nothing new, this controversy has spanned church history.

In regard to the making of the universe and the creation of all things there have been various opinions, and each person has propounded the theory that suited his own taste. For instance, some say that all things are self- originated and, so to speak, haphazard. The Epicureans are among these; they deny that there is any Mind behind the universe at all. (Athanasius On The Incarnation 296 AD)
There are two possible sources, mythical elementals and God. Charles Darwin's grandfather wrote a myth about creation, Charles actually went into the family business when he wrote On the Origin of Species. Mythography has always been more popular then genuine theism:

Nurs'd by warm sun-beams in primeval caves
Organic Life began beneath the waves.
"ORGANIC LIFE beneath the shoreless waves
Was born and nurs'd in Ocean's pearly caves;
First forms minute, unseen by spheric glass,
Move on the mud, or pierce the watery mass;
These, as successive generations bloom
New powers acquire, and larger limbs assume;
Whence countless groups of vegetation spring,
And breathing realms of fin, and feet, and wing. (Erasmus Darwin, Temple of Nature)
....Righto. You've spent Way more time on Theology than I could ever manage myself, I think... :D I think I've made mention before - I don't have any deep interaction with religion in my life, so haven't really felt a need to look into these things. I'm an empiricist as a result, and prefer to have rational reason for any belief I have.
Define evolution. Scientifically it's the change of alleles in populations over time. The Darwinian logic is predicated on the a priori assumption of universal common descent by exclusively naturalistic means. Like all logical fallacies that is an argument that never happened. Define the term or the argument is meaningless and certainly an ambiquise term is useless for postulating a unified theory of natural history.
I use Evolution as shorthand for the Theory of Evolution - but I accept the change of alleles in populations over time to be sufficient, in hand with natural selection of course.
Single-nucleotide substitutions occur at a mean rate of 1.23%...
Orthologous proteins... 29% being identical and the typical orthologue differing by only two amino acids, one per lineage...
On the basis of this analysis, we estimate that the human and chimpanzee genomes each contain 40–45 Mb of species-specific euchromatic sequence, and the indel differences between the genomes thus total ~90 Mb. This difference corresponds to ~3% of both genomes and dwarfs the 1.23% (Chimpanzee Genome, 2005)
It's 98% and some change if you don't count indels, it's less then 96% if you do. That's why most evolutionists pretend the indels don't exist, they have no way of explaining them.
That sounds about right, either way, we're amply similar genetically to Chimpanzees to understand we obviously share an ancestor.
I've seen all of Kenneth Miller's stuff, he was a key person in the Dover trial. Read a lot of Behe at the time as well. It's not a falsifiable test if you already know the tag element is there. The way falsifiablity works is first you have to accept the inverse logic. If there is an up, there must be a down, if there is an on, there must be an off.

Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence. (D. Futuyma, Science on Trial)
Accept the inverse logic and we can start talking about potential falsifiability. Start of with an a priori assumption and these inferences from anecdotal evidence are just another performance in the Darwinian Theater of the Mind. Alas, all the greatest performers have left the stage, the culture wars are over, just little ole me up in the balcony munching on popcorn and watching the show.
Well, Science isn't generally about one or the other - I've always considered it best as a test on one position - either it's false, or we can tentatively continue with the Theory so long as it continues to give reliable results. It isn't often that a hypothesis in Science is an Either/Or proposition, let alone a Theory. Put simply, if Evolution in its entirety were to be overturned tomorrow, then we'd be back to "We Don't Know". Creation doesn't just win by default, it has to have something falsifiable to test first.
By the way, I've just been testing the waters lately, can't believe how this place has cleared out. Always before there would be a troll in every thread getting more vicious with every post. I'm glad the nasty little buggers are gone, I'm thinking this might be a time for an actual discussion. I'd enjoy that, Comparative studies: Fossils, Genomics and Anatomy. Something like that, just haven't had time to put it together.

Grace and peace,
Mark
I have seen some trolling here in my time... We're better without it I'm sure. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's not a point, it's an opinion.

That's a very weird thing to say, its as if you didn't know that an opinion can be a point.

You studied all of that? Did you study any of that? How could a guy so vastly well read, spend so many rounds of discussion, without any reference to any of it? Curious, very curious indeed.

Those words, my friend, are trolling words.

I remain unconvinced.
This is not a very compelling argument.

The heavens God created reflect God's glory. Unlike you I do not deny God is Creator. . . .

You just told a lie about me

Actually I'm a Calvinist, evangelical with a strong presuppositional apologetic base and an evidential logic. A little unusual but strangely resilient. What is really fascinating is not one of you has managed to realize that Creationism is a New Testament doctrine. Sad really but encouraging at the same time. You will never realize why your arguments can't put a dent in Creationism. It's not the evidence, it's the deplorable lack of scientific and theological acumen at fault.

You are absolutely correct to point out that its not the evidence that explains why scientific argument can't put a dent in Creationism - in your case.

Of course, it does put a dent in Creationism in many cases. It depends on the individual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, it Does. Even if that decision didn't find an issue in separation of Church and State, you missed some other important findings in that decision, so let me highlight them for you:

Throughout the trial and in various submissions to the Court, Defendants vigorously argue that the reading of the statement is not 'teaching' ID but instead is merely 'making students aware of it.' In fact, one consistency among the Dover School Board members' testimony, which was marked by selective memories and outright lies under oath, as will be discussed in more detail below, is that they did not think they needed to be knowledgeable about ID because it was not being taught to the students. We disagree. ...​
That's because the Intelligent Designer is God, the court made that abundantly clear calling the effort child evangelism. It was decided based on whether or not it was religious, ID attempts to be objective but when invoking God as cause it makes the philosophy of origins, creation or design, religious in nature and is barred by...
an educator reading the disclaimer is engaged in teaching, even if it is colossally bad teaching. ... Defendants' argument is a red herring because the Establishment Clause forbids not just 'teaching' religion, but any governmental action that endorses or has the primary purpose or effect of advancing religion. (footnote 7 on page 46)
...The Establishment Clause.

After a searching review of the record and applicable caselaw, we find that while ID arguments may be true, a proposition on which the Court takes no position, ID is not science. We find that ID fails on three different levels, any one of which is sufficient to preclude a determination that ID is science. They are: (1) ID violates the centuries-old ground rules of science by invoking and permitting supernatural causation;

That's undiluted Darwinian naturalistic assumptions. Science bars nothing of the sort, except as Newton says, to allow only such causes as are sufficient to explain the effects. While it is nearly useless in exploring phenomenon it does not exclude God as Creator. The issue isn't the methodology, Science produces an end product that is subject to philosophical, rational and theological reasoning. While it does not pass the litmus test for empirical testing the evidencial end product making inferences from the evidence with regards to origins falls under a much broader philosophical reasoning called metaphysics:

Metaphysics: The branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space: they would regard the question of the initial conditions for the universe as belonging to the realm of metaphysics or religion (Oxford Dictionary)​

(2) the argument of irreducible complexity, central to ID, employs the same flawed and illogical contrived dualism that doomed creation science in the 1980s; and

He is talking principally about this case:

Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 U.S. 578 (1987) was a U.S. Supreme Court case concerning the constitutionality of teaching creationism. The Court ruled that a Louisiana law requiring that creation science be taught in public schools, along with evolution, violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment because the law was specifically intended to advance a particular religion. (Wikipedia)
A text without a context is a pretext. What doomed Creationism in the 80s was that it was religious.

(3) ID's negative attacks on evolution have been refuted by the scientific community. … It is additionally important to note that ID has failed to gain acceptance in the scientific community, it has not generated peer-reviewed publications, nor has it been the subject of testing and research. Expert testimony reveals that since the scientific revolution of the 16th and 17th centuries, science has been limited to the search for natural causes to explain natural phenomena. (page 64) [for "contrived dualism", see false dilemma.]

This reasoning presupposes only naturalistic causes which is a 'contrived dualism', a false dilemma:

A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, false binary, black-and-white thinking, bifurcation, denying a conjunct, the either–or fallacy, fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, fallacy of the excluded middle, the fallacy of false choice, or the fallacy of the false alternative) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which only limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option. false dilemma

There is at least one alternative.

Let me stop you there, it is. The Theory of Evolution is a Theory.

Define it! Do a Google search and invariably you will go back to Darwin and Lamarck:

Lamarck was the first man whose conclusions on the subject excited much attention. This justly-celebrated naturalist first published his views in 1801; he much enlarged them in 1809 in his "Philosophie Zoologique,' and subsequently, in 1815, in the Introduction to his "Hist. Nat. des Animaux sans Vertébres.' In these works he upholds the doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species. He first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (Darwin, On the Origin of Species)
Evolution on the other hand has a scientific definition, not a naturalistic presupposition:

Evolution is a process that results in changes in the genetic material of a population over time. Evolution reflects the adaptations of organisms to their changing environments and can result in altered genes, novel traits, and new species. Evolutionary processes depend on both changes in genetic variability and changes in allele frequencies over time. (Nature Science Education)
Now why don't you read the rest of the definition and notice the discussion of Natural Selection stops at the level of species.

And to be sure, Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection was a great basis to start from, but we have moved on from here.

We never moved on, that's the issue. What is happening is the change of alleles in populations over time is intermingled with an a priori assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes. While this is perfectly understandable when investigating natural phenomenon it does not exclude creation at the point of origin.

One mechanism that drives evolution is natural selection, which is a process that increases the frequency of advantageous alleles in a population. Natural selection results in organisms that are more likely to survive and reproduce. Another driving force behind evolution is genetic drift, which describes random fluctuations in allele frequencies in a population. Eventually, genetic drift can cause a subpopulation to become genetically distinct from its original population. Indeed, over a long period of time, genetic drift and the accumulation of other genetic changes can result in speciation, which is the evolution of a new species. (Nature)​

So Newton hit the limit of his understanding and resigns the rest to his personal God of choice. We now know better and our cosmological understanding is vastly improved with Einstein's Theory of Relativity that superseded his Theory of Gravity.

Einstein built on Newton's principles of motion, he did not discard them. The point is that God as cause was perfectly permissible for the guy who practically invented modern science, at least philosophically he defined it.

If the arrival of the modern scientific age could be pinpointed to a particular moment and a particular place, it would be 27 April 1676 at the Royal Society, for it was on that day that the results obtained in a meticulous experiment -experimentum crucis- were found to fit with the hypothesis, so transforming a hypothesis into a demonstrable theory. (Isaac Newton, Michael White)​

Your missing the point here, at the very apex of the Scientific Revolution Intelligent Design was perfectly acceptable as a reflection of the cause of order in the universe. That wouldn't change until Darwin.

Odd. It seems to me that Darwin followed Newton's Four Rules of Scientific Reasoning - therefore, IF any change came about in Science, it was Newton that changed it, not Darwin

Science didn't change, Darwinism doesn't follow the rules of science, it transcends them with an a priori assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes applied universally.

Then why would you expect Science and the Scientific Method to incorporate your Supernatural belief then?

"I don't want to survive. I want to live." - (12 Years a Slave, 2013)

God only seems supernatural, when he performs a miracle it's perfectly natural for him. I'm not incorporating scientific method I'm digesting the end product and subjecting it to rational inferences based on them.

Sure I read them. This isn't a formal debate and the three links all referenced the same original research from 2005 anyway. I also gave you an adequate description of what was in them to satisfy your request for such data in the first instance. The Theory of Evolution is still the only Scientific Theory for the diversification of life on this planet.

If it's the only explanation then the inverse logic is being ignored. That may well be scientific but reality is bigger then empirical processes. The diversity of life in all it's vast array can also be the result of providence, God provided the basis of heredity and the only laws of science governing them a Mendel's laws of Inheritance. That's procreation and since Darwin argued diversity may only be explained by natural laws the back up problem is bigger then natural phenomenon can explain.

....Righto. You've spent Way more time on Theology than I could ever manage myself, I think... :D I think I've made mention before - I don't have any deep interaction with religion in my life, so haven't really felt a need to look into these things. I'm an empiricist as a result, and prefer to have rational reason for any belief I have.

I just think you might benefit from understanding where the creationist is coming from with this. Unlike many of my Calvinist brethren I do not rely exclusively on presuppositional logic. I think the evidencial approach has some merit so I find myself pouring through the voluminous tomes of Genetic research so readily available across the internet and the local Library. I think there is some common ground here, an appreciation for how a person's world view influences a philosophy of natural history can be helpful.

I use Evolution as shorthand for the Theory of Evolution - but I accept the change of alleles in populations over time to be sufficient, in hand with natural selection of course.

Just do me one favor, consider the definition from Nature and we can talk some more about these things. It may well help you understand the nature of the evidence being explored and suggests some of the limitations of scientific method. That doesn't make it wrong, it just means you can't get to the subject of origins in a lab.

That sounds about right, either way, we're amply similar genetically to Chimpanzees to understand we obviously share an ancestor.

There is something called a mutation rate and the deleterious effects of mutations that is well worth considering.

In the living cell, DNA undergoes frequent chemical change, especially when it is being replicated (in S phase of the eukaryotic cell cycle). Most of these changes are quickly repaired. Those that are not result in a mutation. Thus, mutation is a failure of DNA repair. Mutations
Selection explains the survival of the fittest, not the arrival of the fittest. Mutations account for most of the variety but adaptive evolution cannot be explained by random copy errors, it's utterly absurd. You are left with presently unknown molecular mechanisms making profoundly dangerous changes in highly conserved genes. It might be a little more complicated then you have been led to believe.

Well, Science isn't generally about one or the other - I've always considered it best as a test on one position - either it's false, or we can tentatively continue with the Theory so long as it continues to give reliable results. It isn't often that a hypothesis in Science is an Either/Or proposition, let alone a Theory. Put simply, if Evolution in its entirety were to be overturned tomorrow, then we'd be back to "We Don't Know". Creation doesn't just win by default, it has to have something falsifiable to test first.

I'm not trying to ditch science, the Protestant Reformation and the Scientific Revolution ran concurrently. The academic tyranny of Rome was broken around that time as will as it's ecclesiastical and political control. Ever heard of the Thirty Year War and the Civil War in England, it's related to the rise of the Protestant Reformation that paved the way for the Scientific Revolution. Don't get me wrong, I don't credit religion exclusively with the many milestone breakthroughs, telescopes, microscopes and the mighty printing press were instrumental and could be considered the key.

I have seen some trolling here in my time... We're better without it I'm sure. :)

You don't seem like a troller, I actually enjoy these exchanges. I have long thought these discussions can be very stimulating and lead invariably to a better understanding of science, religion, history and philosophy. Most of what I get out of this has little to do with the core controversy that spurs it on. I hated Biology in school, thought cutting up Crustaceans was a pointless and disgusting practice. Now I've learned that there is a deep philosophy and dynamic history involved, it's made it much more intriguing.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a very weird thing to say, its as if you didn't know that an opinion can be a point.

An opinion is simply an opinion, even if that's your point.

Those words, my friend, are trolling words.

Opinion based on substantive evidence is an argument, without a rational basis it's just an unmitigated opinion.

This is not a very compelling argument.

You mean you don't reserve the right to remain unconvinced?

You just told a lie about me

I was basing that on Romans 1:18-21 and all people suppress the truth in unrighteousness, even Paul who wrote that particular passage.

You are absolutely correct to point out that its not the evidence that explains why scientific argument can't put a dent in Creationism - in your case.

That's not true, it just can't be based on fallacious logic. I was in the process of rearranging my theology at one time only to find the genomic comparisons raised some seemingly unanswerable questions.

Of course, it does put a dent in Creationism in many cases. It depends on the individual.

What is compelling is that the evidence is the same for everyone. The difference is what makes a decisive proof, I would need to know the molecular mechanism that can rewrite, revise and extend the brain related genes. To date I haven't seem anyone really even try.

Mark

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's undiluted Darwinian naturalistic assumptions. Science bars nothing of the sort, except as Newton says, to allow only such causes as are sufficient to explain the effects. While it is nearly useless in exploring phenomenon it does not exclude God as Creator. The issue isn't the methodology, Science produces an end product that is subject to philosophical, rational and theological reasoning. While it does not pass the litmus test for empirical testing the evidencial end product making inferences from the evidence with regards to origins falls under a much broader philosophical reasoning called metaphysics:

Metaphysics: The branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, identity, time, and space: they would regard the question of the initial conditions for the universe as belonging to the realm of metaphysics or religion (Oxford Dictionary)
Well, you just said it yourself - "While it is nearly useless in exploring phenomenon..." - Right There! It gives us No predictive power to overlay another level of untestable causation. As you say, Science doesn't preclude a Creator, but it does acknowledge that the Supernatural can't be tested for, essentially adds no benefit and therefore has no place here.
He is talking principly about this case:

Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 U.S. 578 (1987) was a U.S. Supreme Court case concerning the constitutionality of teaching creationism. The Court ruled that a Louisiana law requiring that creation science be taught in public schools, along with evolution, violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment because the law was specifically intended to advance a particular religion. (Wikipedia)
A text without a context is a pretext. What doomed Creationism in the 80s was that it was religious.
And again, the parallels weren't just that it was religious, the dualism he mentions is that Creation Science was being positioned as some sort of Science on equal footing to Evolution (as an either/or proposition), which it just isn't. It ultimately lost because it was religion in a lab coat, but it too had failed in adding anything of substance, effectively just muddying the water, adding no scientific value whatsoever.
This reasoning presupposes only naturalistic causes which is a 'contrived dualism', a false dilemma:

A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, false binary, black-and-white thinking, bifurcation, denying a conjunct, the either–or fallacy, fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, fallacy of the excluded middle, the fallacy of false choice, or the fallacy of the false alternative) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which only limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option. false dilemma
There is at least one alternative.
In Bold - not in Science, there isn't.
Define it! Do a Google search and invariably you will go back to Darwin and Lamarck:

Lamarck was the first man whose conclusions on the subject excited much attention. This justly-celebrated naturalist first published his views in 1801; he much enlarged them in 1809 in his "Philosophie Zoologique,' and subsequently, in 1815, in the Introduction to his "Hist. Nat. des Animaux sans Vertébres.' In these works he upholds the doctrine that species, including man, are descended from other species. He first did the eminent service of arousing attention to the probability of all change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition. (Darwin, On the Origin of Species)
Evolution on the other hand has a scientific definition, not a naturalistic presupposition:

Evolution is a process that results in changes in the genetic material of a population over time. Evolution reflects the adaptations of organisms to their changing environments and can result in altered genes, novel traits, and new species. Evolutionary processes depend on both changes in genetic variability and changes in allele frequencies over time. (Nature Science Education)
Now why don't you read the rest of the definition and notice the discussion of Natural Selection stops at the level of species.
That Theory of Evolution definition is just fine. It says that it results in new species, right there! :D
We never moved on, that's the issue. What is happening is the change of alleles in populations over time is intermingled with an a priori assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes. While this is perfectly understandable when investigating natural phenomenon it does not exclude creation at the point of origin.

One mechanism that drives evolution is natural selection, which is a process that increases the frequency of advantageous alleles in a population. Natural selection results in organisms that are more likely to survive and reproduce. Another driving force behind evolution is genetic drift, which describes random fluctuations in allele frequencies in a population. Eventually, genetic drift can cause a subpopulation to become genetically distinct from its original population. Indeed, over a long period of time, genetic drift and the accumulation of other genetic changes can result in speciation, which is the evolution of a new species. (Nature)
Well, what process have we observed in living organisms that are unaccounted for, or couldn't happen naturally? Darwin didn't get it all right, but the foundations are rock-solid on this. Again, the first form of life is still up in the air on exactly how it came to be (and we may never know that answer...) but there's a handful of viable hypotheses on that.
Einstein built on Newton's principles of motion, he did not discard them.
I agree wholeheartedly.
The point is that God as cause was perfectly permissible for the guy who practically invented modern science, at least philosophically he defined it.

If the arrival of the modern scientific age could be pinpointed to a particular moment and a particular place, it would be 27 April 1676 at the Royal Society, for it was on that day that the results obtained in a meticulous experiment -experimentum crucis- were found to fit with the hypothesis, so transforming a hypothesis into a demonstrable theory. (Isaac Newton, Michael White)
Your missing the point here, at the very apex of the Scientific Revolution Intelligent Design was perfectly acceptable as a reflection of the cause of order in the universe. That wouldn't change until Darwin.
It was his personal belief, yes. Where has he included this in any of his science?? Intelligent Design was presupposed by pretty much everyone back then, so it of no real surprise that it never really warranted a true Scientific Inquiry.
Science didn't change, Darwinism doesn't follow the rules of science, it transcends them with an a priori assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes applied universally.
But again according to Newton's helpful pointers, What could be added to the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection by including your God? How about Vishnu? Odin? Zeuss?
God only seems supernatural, when he performs a miracle it's perfectly natural for him. I'm not incorporating scientific method I'm digesting the end product and subjecting it to rational inferences based on them.
so you effectively get to add something made-up to the Scientific Method - How on Earth does that help? Put into context, what would be more accurate if a Hindu Scientist does the same experiment a Calvanist Scientist does, as well as a Secular Scientist that has no belief?
If it's the only explanation then the inverse logic is being ignored. That may well be scientific but reality is bigger then empirical processes. The diversity of life in all it's vast array can also be the result of providence, God provided the basis of heredity and the only laws of science governing them a Mendel's laws of Inheritance. That's procreation and since Darwin argued diversity may only be explained by natural laws the back up problem is bigger then natural phenomenon can explain.
But everything is explained with the Theory while observing Newton's minimalistic inclusions. Nothing is added by that extra layer, so it can get by perfectly fine without.

Now, Time has run out, I'll edit this later to finish off my thoughts and answers/more questions when I get the chance....
:)

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, you just said it yourself - "While it is nearly useless in exploring phenomenon..." - Right There! It gives us No predictive power to overlay another level of untestable causation. As you say, Science doesn't preclude a Creator, but it does acknowledge that the Supernatural can't be tested for, essentially adds no benefit and therefore has no place here.

God can be tested, just not empirically and there are some very sweeping predictions literally fulfilled in the past, present and future. I'm not arguing for Creationism as an empirical methodology just saying, the end product of science is fair game for philosophical and religious thought. Science does not preclude a Creator, that much is true, not does it get to exclude God being creator at the point of origin.

And again, the parallels weren't just that it was religious, the dualism he mentions is that Creation Science was being positioned as some sort of Science on equal footing to Evolution (as an either/or proposition), which it just isn't. It ultimately lost because it was religion in a lab coat, but it too had failed in adding anything of substance, effectively just muddying the water, adding no scientific value whatsoever.

Your arguing in circles, because science investigates natural phenomenon the only cause has to be naturalistic. Therefore all causation, going back to the Big Bang and including the origin of life must be naturalistic. It's absurd. They lost because God as cause is essentially religious in nature thus the Establishment Clause prohibits it. It's as simple as that.

In Bold - not in Science, there isn't.

Yet in reality it must be.

That Theory of Evolution definition is just fine. It says that it results in new species, right there! :D

Yea, so what? We are talking about natural history whether we actually mention that fact or not. Speciation is just the first tier.

Well, what process have we observed in living organisms that are unaccounted for, or couldn't happen naturally? Darwin didn't get it all right, but the foundations are rock-solid on this. Again, the first form of life is still up in the air on exactly how it came to be (and we may never know that answer...) but there's a handful of viable hypotheses on that.

If it's still up in the air then it's still up for grabs whether or not God created life. Evolution is a living theory, it starts happening after life has started. What speculation there might be for naturalistic causes are all well and good but the is an inverse logic that cannot be rationally ignored.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Glad to hear it.

It was his personal belief, yes. Where has he included this in any of his science?? Intelligent Design was presupposed by pretty much everyone back then, so it of no real surprise that it never really warranted a true Scientific Inquiry.

It was included in Principia, the magnum opus of his scientific career.

But again according to Newton's helpful pointers, What could be added to the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection by including your God? How about Vishnu? Odin? Zeuss?

You are making a pointless rationalization here, God isn't subject to Natural Selection nor is evolutionary processes an explanation for natural phenomenon needing God except at the point of origin. Don't conflate the two.

so you effectively get to add something made-up to the Scientific Method - How on Earth does that help? Put into context, what would be more accurate if a Hindu Scientist does the same experiment a Calvanist Scientist does, as well as a Secular Scientist that has no belief?

Again, we are not talking about the methodology, we are deciphering the end product. What a scientist does is not that different from what a plumber does, the tools and technology are more advanced in some instances but science is little more then a tool. What it produces is no longer subject to the same restrictions a lab scientist is disciplined by, the phenomenon lays down the evidence, the evidence can be used in other ways.

But everything is explained with the Theory while observing Newton's minimalistic inclusions. Nothing is added by that extra layer, so it can get by perfectly fine without.

Accept no causes except those that are sufficient to explain the phenomenon, that is as far as it goes. I does not exclude God as Creator, Newton would have thought such a conclusion absurd.

“Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance.” (Isaac Newton)
He didn't believe in a world without God. Chance mutations are equally absurd so the has to be another explanation and it's not provided by Darwinian naturalistic assumptions.

Now, Time has run out, I'll edit this later to finish off my thoughts and answers/more questions when I get the chance....
:)

It's been fun, thanks for the exchange. Looking forward to hearing more from you on this subject.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is compelling is that the evidence is the same for everyone. The difference is what makes a decisive proof, I would need to know the molecular mechanism that can rewrite, revise and extend the brain related genes. To date I haven't seem anyone really even try.

Mark

To you, decisive proof is proof that convinces you, and you reject what most of us consider to be decisive proof. People have tried to explain the theoretical mechanism for evolution . . . . basically mutations followed by natural selection operating over generations . . . it is kind of odd to see you say you haven't seen anyone even try to explain this to you.

Upvote 0