Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In today's news a group concerned with hate crime on campus reports that one of the complaints they had was from someone who objected to a crucifix because it was "a symbol of oppression and hate of the LBGT community" this article reports how the University of Wisconsin/La Crosse have a "bias/hate" reporting system through which students may anonymously report incidents they find offensive...

Continued below.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2016/09/is-the-crucifix-is-a-symbol-of-hate.html

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The current standard is that if a symbol has ever been used as a hate symbol, or even if it offends people enough to be considered a hate symbol regardless if it was actually used that way, then it must be treated as a hate symbol.

We are in an age where a candidate for president has claimed that a cartoon frog used by thousands online in a variety of contexts is really a hate symbol. And rather than being laughed out of the public eye, many mainstream media outlets took her at her word and said that indeed it really is a hate symbol.

In that sort of age it should be no surprise that Christian symbols will be considered hate symbols. The only reason why they haven't commonly been cast this way already is because the culture had some respect for Christianity (not for the wrong, "backwards" denominations, but at least for the socially acceptable and lukewarm mainline protestant denominations). Now even the pretense of respect for Christianity is slipping away, and as such there is no longer a reason for many to not call Christians symbols hate symbols.

Expect more of this in the future.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The current standard is that if a symbol has ever been used as a hate symbol, or even if it offends people enough to be considered a hate symbol regardless if it was actually used that way, then it must be treated as a hate symbol.

We are in an age where a candidate for president has claimed that a cartoon frog used by thousands online in a variety of contexts is really a hate symbol. And rather than being laughed out of the public eye, many mainstream media outlets took her at her word and said that indeed it really is a hate symbol.

Including the ADL.

"Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular Internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users," Jonathan A. Greenblatt, ADL CEO said in a statement. "These anti-Semites have no shame. They are abusing the image of a cartoon character, one that might at first seem appealing, to harass and spread hatred on social media."
The designation does not apply to all Pepe memes because most of them are not "bigoted" in nature, the ADL said. You'll likely know one when you see one.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/us/pepe-the-frog-hate-symbol-trnd/index.html

There a Pepe the Frog memes I can't post here without being nicked, it's hard to laugh these things off.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That statement amounts to "if a symbol is used in a context where it supports hatred, then it is a hate symbol."

The same thing could be said of literally any symbol.

While I don't disagree you seemed to think that a symbol used for as a hate symbol should just be laughed off.

I disagree.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While I don't disagree you seemed to think that a symbol used for as a hate symbol should just be laughed off.

I disagree.

The cross has been used by some white supremacist groups.

Should we then agree with the groups discussed in the OP who believe that it is a symbol of hate?

If not, are you "laughing off" something used as a hate symbol?

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Or perhaps we could come at this from a completely different angle.

Since I have been known to drift through the dregs of the internet on occasion, I have seen a huge number of bizarre things being used as hate symbols. Perhaps one of the most memorable was seeing My Little Pony characters used in pro-neo-Nazi images.

Should we then demand that My Little Pony is taken from the air, since it contains characters which have been used as hate symbols?

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Since I have been known to drift through the dregs of the internet on occasion, I have seen a huge number of bizarre things being used as hate symbols. Perhaps one of the most memorable was seeing My Little Pony characters used in pro-neo-Nazi images.

Should we then demand that My Little Pony is taken from the air, since it contains characters which have been used as hate symbols?
This seems like a reasonable response. I always knew those ponies supported the Third Reich.

Upvote 0