✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
JohnR7 said:
According to Talk Origin: "the underlying theme of the first book of Genesis can't be scientifically proven or disproven". http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-god.html

Because the Bible can not be "proven or disproven", then evolutionists have to create strawman arguements and try to falsify their own strawman. Their favorite is to make up their own YEC theory and then they try to falsify their strawmen version of the theory. I see them do this over and over on this forum like a broken record.

Why don't people just accept the Bible is true. Any attempt they make to try and falsify it, has failed. Yet the Bible tells us why there are scoffers: 2 Peter 3:3 "knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts" They are scoffers because they do not want to live right before God. Peter tells us they want to live according to their own lusts. They do not want to walk in the light, instead they want to walk in darkness.

John 3:19-20
And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. [20] For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

Interestingly enough, the total theory of evolution cannot be proven or disproven scientifically either. There is, of course, evidence of micro evolution, but as of yet, science has been totally unable to prove macro evolution.

Upvote 0

Timyone

May 15, 2006
sydney
✟9,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
TexasSky said:
You're right.
The majority of historians, Jewish, Christian and secular attribute Moses as the author. There are a few people who disagree, but I bet if we dig hard enough we'll find people who say Jefferson didn't write the US Constitution too.
man i seriously spent a whole semester in a class called old testament history, that i could have totally gotten out of my study bible?!?!
but i needed it towards the bachelor.
seriously buy all ya kids niv study bibles?!!

(yes i know they arent the most accurate translation, but i also read the message?!) lol

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
TexasSky said:
You're right.
The majority of historians, Jewish, Christian and secular attribute Moses as the author. There are a few people who disagree, but I bet if we dig hard enough we'll find people who say Jefferson didn't write the US Constitution too.

That is not true. Far more academics prescribe to the documentary hypothesis than Moses authorship. I agree that the staff at fundamentalist Bible colleges don't but I'm talking about real universities.

Upvote 0

Timyone

May 15, 2006
sydney
✟9,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
KerrMetric said:
That is not true. Far more academics prescribe to the documentary hypothesis than Moses authorship. I agree that the staff at fundamentalist Bible colleges don't but I'm talking about real universities.
lol
well maybe
if ya go and get statements from them ill beleive you :D
while your there ask them about points of view on the 4 gospels too.
id like some clearing up on all that hey :D

Upvote 0

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Timyone said:
now where is that bit about him dying.. :D

Deuteronomy 34:5.

TexasSky said:
I see, over and over on these forums, that evolutionists deny that evolution teaches such things as "monkey became man" or "fish became man."

Yet, when I go to professors who actually teach evolution they tell me that even though they do not usually carry the teaching of evolution back that far, it is, indeed, part of the overall theory.

Universal common descent is part of the theory of evolution, yes. But ideas like "monkey became man" and "fish became man" are caricatures of evolutionary theory and should be avoided.

I try not to be pedantic over here, but creationists tend to take advantage of every opportunity to mischaracterize and misunderstand the theory of evolution. The supporters of evolution on this forum deny that "fish became man" because that sort of inaccuracy plays into creationists' misconceptions about evolution - the notion that evolution is like a ladder with single-celled organisms at the bottom end and humans at the top, that chimanzees or other modern apes are direct human ancestors, that evolution means a monkey gave birth to a human, et cetera.

Frankly, I don't think anyone on this board wants another creationist to ask "if humans evolved from monkeys, how come there's still monkeys?" Being exactingly accurate about what the theory says helps prevent that.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TexasSky said:
but I bet if we dig hard enough we'll find people who say Jefferson didn't write the US Constitution too.

AFAIK, Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence. I do not think you can accurately say that Jefferson wrote the Constitution.

Upvote 0

Army of Juan

Dec 15, 2004
Dallas, Texas
✟15,931.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
TexasSky said:
I am curious.

I see, over and over on these forums, that evolutionists deny that evolution teaches such things as "monkey became man" or "fish became man."

Yet, when I go to professors who actually teach evolution they tell me that even though they do not usually carry the teaching of evolution back that far, it is, indeed, part of the overall theory.

Since many of you deny it is even part of the theory, where DO you cut off your theories of evolution? Do you simply say, "All cats evolved from greater cats?" Do you believe that all life has a "common" fossil-ancestor? Do you believe in primordial soup or not?

Follow your theory back as far as you can, logically, and tell me what you consider the origin of MAN to be?
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that fish and an ape-like creature (not a monkey, technically) were not common ancestors.

It's semantics really since you have to be careful about what you say to YECs because quite a few lack basic critical thinking skills. Since life started out in the water then yes, one of our common ancestors was a fish (or fishlike) and it's the ancestor to all land based animal life. Most of the time on here people discuss the common ancestor of humans and other apes, not universal common ancestors.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
TexasSky said:
science has been totally unable to prove macro evolution.

Evolution has turned into a huge theory, yet there is amazingly little evidence to support it. As Jonathan Weiner says in his prize winning book: "Beak of the Finch": Darwin's book "Origion of the Species" does not document the origion of a single species, or a single case of natural selection, or the preservation of one favored race in the struggle for life.

Nothing has changed from the beginning. Evolution still presents very little in the way of actual evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Asimov said:
What beginning?

Everything has a beginning and God knows the end from the beginning. Jesus is the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Rev. 1:8
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

No one denies that apes (and even fish, if you want to go back that far) aren't at least distantly related to humans. The creationist strawman, however, is the the obviously ridiculous notion that a monkey gave birth to a modern homo sapiens. That is a pretty important difference.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
JohnR7 said:
In the Bible college I went to Moses wrote Genesis. Now what academic world are you talking about that does not accept this?

the department of Hebrew literature in any governmental level university or college in the world. the documentary hypothesis or JDEP is universal in the academic world. if anyone knows of an exception please tell us, i learned it at UCSD.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JohnR7 said:
In the Bible college I went to Moses wrote Genesis. Now what academic world are you talking about that does not accept this?

The real academic world not the Bible College degree mill faux academic world.

You are in Ohio right? The real academic world is Ohio State, Ohio, Case Western, Miami, UD, UC, Wright State, Antioch, Toledo, Akron plus a few others. The faux academic world is Cedarville Bible College and the like. Bible Colleges preach to the choir like a Sunday sermon. That is why they turn out pastors and not academics in the real world.

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
TexasSky said:
Interestingly enough, the total theory of evolution cannot be proven or disproven scientifically either. There is, of course, evidence of micro evolution, but as of yet, science has been totally unable to prove macro evolution.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

I include this link more because of routine than of hope you will actually read this, but you never know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
rmwilliamsll said:
the department of Hebrew literature in any governmental level university or college in the world. the documentary hypothesis or JDEP is universal in the academic world. if anyone knows of an exception please tell us, i learned it at UCSD.

99.9% of the exceptions are the hired preacher-teachers at Oklahoma Baptist or Kentucky Nazarene or other so called universities. Colleges frequently with no accreditation outside a religious accrediting body or turning out people with degrees in pastorhood.

I have taught in US universities for 20 years and have never seen anyone from such schools even apply for a graduate physics program in a real school.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
TexasSky said:
You're right.

This has been corrected later, Jefferson did not in fact, write the US Constitution, he drafted the Declaration of Independence. He was in France when the Constitution was written.

What is interesting about the claim however is:
how many postings intervened between it and the correction.

How naturally people confuse and conflate things. It is more than a slip of the tongue, it is a major problem where people either 1-don't do their homework and research what they are saying 2-people don't reread their posting near close enough, looking for factual errors and things they mistyped. 3-the author is tying two unlike things together, documentary hypothesis and the US Constitution, by disproving his Constitution point, all that is done is damage his credibility. It does not do anything to the other claim which is in fact not attached in any way to the second one. This is a most common tactic here, conflate science and religion and use you ideas of one to attack the other. It has as much validity as the claims tied together here.

see: http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Who_were_the_authors_of_the_US_Constitution

it is not necessary to dig very hard at all on the issue.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
KerrMetric said:

I wasn't referring to the staff of fundamental bible colleges. Perhaps you need to reconsider what a "real" university is. Just because it is liberal doesn't make it "good".

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
TexasSky said:
I wasn't referring to the staff of fundamental bible colleges. Perhaps you need to reconsider what a "real" university is. Just because it is liberal doesn't make it "good".

I don't recall "liberal" except in the sense of the term "liberal arts" being in any schools title. We do know when a school is called Oklahoma Baptist what we are dealing with however.

And yes you were, even if unintentionally, referring to the preacher-teachers at Bible colleges since the documentary hypothesis is what is found in standard academia.

Standard academia to me is the Harvard, MIT, Cambridge, UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan, Durham, Dublin, Paris, Padova, ANU, Tokyo etc etc etc around the world. Not Bob Jones U, Nazarene U, Loma Linda blah blah blah.

You know the ones with degrees that count and are trusted versus the ones the prospective employer has never heard of or knows are crap.

Upvote 0