Is the Bible really infallible?

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,818.00
Faith
Baptist
Joe we here believe the whole bible with all accepted translation are with out error and are the inspired work of God and as such are free from error. This is a core belief in this section.

No, it is NOT a core belief in this Baptist forum—and the belief is not true. There are many errors in the KJV that were corrected in the Revised Version, but the Revised Version was not free from error. The very popular NASB is plagued with numerous grammatical errors and the NIV is such a loose translation that very many Baptists believe that it is not suitable for Bible study.

The statement of faith for this Baptist forum includes the following statement:

The 66 Books comprising the Scriptures are given by the verbal inspiration of God, and as such are the only and all sufficient, authoritative rule of faith. Given their divine origins, the Scriptures are without error as originally given.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Joe we here believe the whole bible with all accepted translation are with out error and are the inspired work of God and as such are free from error. This is a core belief in this section. You may NOT DEBATE THIS UNLESS YOU ARE BAPTIST. sorry not yelling at you just put in caps to make that point clear. The OP has the Baptist icon and may debate this belief if he wishes, but will find many against it, however, people with out the Baptist icon may not debate this, so really they should not precipitate in this thread unless you are Baptist.

Does that clear it up Joe?

blu

I am in full agreement with your statement here. I do not wish to debate anything in this thread. The OP asks if the Bible is infallible, and according to the Niceen creed, all Baptists agree that the Bible is infallible and I do not hesitate to say that I am Baptist to the bone.

We believe the Bible is infallible because it is the account of men who wrote in in obedience to God and were eyewitnesses and participants in the message and events written about. If they were not acutally eyewitnesses, such as when Moses recorded the story of creation, they were directed by God to write exactly what they wrote and the original writings were inerrant.

I am not trying to make any debate here other than to answer affirmatively to the OP that the Bible is indeed infallible.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, it is NOT a core belief in this Baptist forum—and the belief is not true. There are many errors in the KJV that were corrected in the Revised Version, but the Revised Version was not free from error. The very popular NASB is plagued with numerous grammatical errors and the NIV is such a loose translation that very many Baptists believe that it is not suitable for Bible study.

The 66 Books comprising the Scriptures are given by the verbal inspiration of God, and as such are the only and all sufficient, authoritative rule of faith. Given their divine origins, the Scriptures are without error as originally given.

rule 3 states it is. What do think with out error means?

3. The 66 Books comprising the Scriptures are given by the verbal inspiration of God, and as such are the only and all sufficient, authoritative rule of faith. Given their divine origins, the Scriptures are without error as originally given.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a clean up of off topic posts. If your post is gone, it is because it was a violation or responding to a post that was.
The rule is this:

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Stay on topic - it is in the OP

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
sorry fail to see your point in this specific thread?
That is true sir.
The point is missed by anyone not wishing to jump to a conclusion that is not really allowed. God is Truth, God's Holy Spirit is GOD, and is called The Spirit of Truth.

John 14
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 15
26 ¶ But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

I John 4
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God the Father is GOD, and is THE WORD. He is also, referenced as The Word of Truth.

John 1
1 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 ¶ And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

II Colossians 6
7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,

Ephesians 1
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

II Titus 2
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

James 1
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
This is mentioned in one way or the other throughout the scriptures. For this reason, we give a reverence and a respect to copies of the Holy Bible that we do not give to other books. I have a great respect for the writings of some great men of God, who, lived in centuries past, but even the BEST of those books is commonly referred to as "The Second Best Book in the English Language."

THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS
From this World to That which is to Come.
by John Bunyan

http://www.achristianspirit.com/PilgrimsProgress.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The point is missed by anyone not wishing to jump to a conclusion that is not really allowed. God is Truth, God's Holy Spirit is GOD, and is called The Spirit of Truth.

John 14
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 15
26 ¶ But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

I John 4
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God the Father is GOD, and is THE WORD. He is also, referenced as The Word of Truth.

John 1
1 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

II Colossians 6
7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,

Ephesians 1
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

II Titus 2
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

James 1
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
This is mentioned in one way or the other throughout the scriptures. For this reason, we give a reverence and a respect to copies of the Holy Bible that we do not give to other books. I have a great respect for the writings of some great men of God, who, lived in centuries past, but even the BEST of those books is commonly referred to as "The Second Best Book in the English Language."

THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS
by John Bunyan

Pilgrim's Progress - aChristianSpirit

very well said.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So how do we know the Scriptures are infallible?
You've been wasting your time discussing Scripture with those who have already elevated the traditions of men above the Word of God (just like the Pharisees). So that's the first thing you need to stop.

The second thing you need to stop is "debating" about this issue. One either believes the Lord Jesus Christ or one does not. Period.

So we come to the crux of the issue. Were the Scripture infallible for the Son of God, who is Himself the Word of God? What did He have to say about the Scriptures?

Rather than give you the relevant Scripture quotations (KJV) which are the words of the Lord Jesus Christ concerning the written Word of God, I will suggest that you personally "search the Scriptures" as He commmanded. If you do not have access to an Exhaustive Concordance or Nave's Topical Bible, please obtain those Bible tools and see for yourself that Christ maintained consistenly that the Bible was infallible. Since He did so, it should not even be an issue for a genuine believer. And what He said about the Hebrew Tanakh applies equally to the New Testament, as confirmed by the apostles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I have been born and raised Baptist and I love God so much but just recently I am converting to Catholic. I just wanted to tell you this so you don't sense any bias or of course he would say that he's Catholic.

I read the Bible and I obviously love it. It's a great tool to live God like. Humans make mistakes though. We have free will. Humans sin. The Bible was compiled by humans. Also by the way the bible has 531 translations. That is a lot of languages and some words other languages have we don't have a word to explain that foreign word. Just for giggles. The german word Backpfeifengesicht means a face so ugly that it can be improved by being punched. In English we don't have a word that is even close to that definition. The books in it was made by humans through their own eyes of course with the help of God. Which means there are some things that could be missing from the Bible or even exaggerated. I'm not saying the whole Bible is wrong, but it was made by us humans and our emotions affect everything. Think about it.

I understand your point,but just because there is a Lexical Gap does not mean the context,is changed.

I personally believe the Bible is the inspired living Word of God.

For instance look at some of the Parables of Christ.

You can reveal deeper meaning each time you study them.

The first time you read one you only peel one layer off a a many layered passage.

What a man searches for in his youth is deeper meaning,you will only find structure in religion.

Before you make a life choice I would strongly advise to read from the only book
That can give you life more abundant.

John: 1. 1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. The same was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,818.00
Faith
Baptist
Joe we here believe the whole bible with all accepted translation are with out error and are the inspired work of God and as such are free from error. This is a core belief in this section.

rule 3 states it is. What do think with out error means?

3. The 66 Books comprising the Scriptures are given by the verbal inspiration of God, and as such are the only and all sufficient, authoritative rule of faith. Given their divine origins, the Scriptures are without error as originally given.

Rule 3 states that “the Scriptures are without error as originally given.” Rule 3 does NOT state that “the whole bible with all accepted translation are with out error and are the inspired work of God and as such are free from error.” Moreover, that is Not a Baptist belief because it is obviously a false belief because no translation from one language to another language can be more than an approximation of the original. Furthermore, Baptists hold to an extremely wide spectrum of opinion as to what “without error” means.

Upvote 0

TorturedSoul

Apr 5, 2015
✟7,708.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wrestle with this myself coming from a Baptist and Catholic family. I can't seem to find the Church Christ commissioned of 12 Apostles and 70 Presbyters and having a hard time interpreting the Bible. Iy has become quite the puzzle. Here is some food for thought:
A List Of Biblical Contradictions

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian

John 14

John 15

John 16

I John 4

John 1

II Colossians 6

Ephesians 1

II Titus 2

James 1

THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS
by John Bunyan

Pilgrim's Progress - aChristianSpirit

Gods word is good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums