Is targeting women at clinic with anti-abortion ads on their phones going to far?

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend sent me this article:

https://rewire.news/article/2016/05...e-target-abortion-minded-women-clinic-visits/

It is disturbing how much can be gotten from your phone these days. The question is, is this ethical?

From my point of view, I don't like it, but as long as they are tasteful I can't really say they are wholly unethical. Is it more effective then protesters in fount of the clinic? Most likely, depends on how aware the women is about the effect of ads on themselves.

What is really creepy about this is it is not the government doing it, but an ad agency....

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A friend sent me this article:

https://rewire.news/article/2016/05...e-target-abortion-minded-women-clinic-visits/

It is disturbing how much can be gotten from your phone these days. The question is, is this ethical?

From my point of view, I don't like it, but as long as they are tasteful I can't really say they are wholly unethical. Is it more effective then protesters in fount of the clinic? Most likely, depends on how aware the women is about the effect of ads on themselves.

What is really creepy about this is it is not the government doing it, but an ad agency....

Define ethical.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Going to far" -- no
"Eye-opening that advertisers can track a person's every move" -- absolutely

I'm a person who's on the pro-choice side of the fence, and I don't think it's "going to far". It's advertisers doing what they're paid to do....target based routing of ads using a phone OS's geolocation services.

If a pro-life group wants to make sure that people who are thinking about abortions sees these ads, it makes sense that the advertising companies are using this approach. Where else would they direct these ads? to people sitting at Applebee's?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
from the group that thinks its ok to kill abortion doctors? probably is ethical, yes...
I am personally opposed to this kind of advertising, or whatever it might be called, but I can't find anywhere in the article the reference to it being the doing of the "group that thinks its OK to kill abortion doctors."

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am personally opposed to this kind of advertising, or whatever it might be called, but I can't find anywhere in the article the reference to it being the doing of the "group that thinks its OK to kill abortion doctors."

My guess is he/she thinks a few isolated incidents of people that perform abortions being killed is absolutely horrible but thinks millions of abortions are just fine, go figure...

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
from the group that thinks its ok to kill abortion doctors? probably is ethical, yes...

No sane intelligent person thinks it's okay to kill abortion doctors.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wish instead of protesters you had people trying to actually give the potential mothers the assistance they would need/want to carry the baby to term, you know, if they are so devoted to life.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wish instead of protesters you had people trying to actually give the potential mothers the assistance they would need/want to carry the baby to term, you know, if they are so devoted to life.
As a matter of fact, there are all sorts of pro-life people and organizations doing exactly that, which provides quite a contrast to the perspective that seems to predominate on the other side and could perhaps best be described as "Here. I'll help you kill your child and not feel bad about it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

As a matter of fact, there are all sorts of pro-life people and organizations doing exactly that, which provides quite a contrast to the perspective that seems to predominate on the other side and could perhaps best be described as "Here. I'll help you kill your child and not feel bad about it."
The organizations that you pine for and describe, DO exist. However, they don't provide long term solutions to a potential parent. I appreciate AND support what those organizations do, however, a child stays with you for (you know,) years and stuff. Those organizations MAY help a new parent for a year or two.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Infanticide? Huh. I don't remember that even being DISCUSSED in this thread.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So he plans to snoop and invades a woman or mans privacy. By surveillance them going into a very personal place and then spam them with anti abortion crap. What does he plan to do if they still get an abortion? Put their info in a anti abortion ad. It seem a lot like invading people business.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The organizations that you pine for and describe, DO exist. However, they don't provide long term solutions to a potential parent. I appreciate AND support what those organizations do, however, a child stays with you for (you know,) years and stuff. Those organizations MAY help a new parent for a year or two.

Pregnant woman seeking abortion - Let us help, we love you and your baby.

Two years later - Get off your Obamaphone and find a job you leech!

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I dont see too many of those groups. Instead I see a lot of people yelling and not doing anything to help the mothers. Sometimes they kill doctors, I guess thats something.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
from the group that thinks its ok to kill abortion doctors?
Where's your proof of that?

Those who want to terrorize women will always find a way. What is particularly concerning in this latest methodology employed is that it is able to be employed.
They track women to abortion clinics? Can they access the camera feature and watch her, hear her, in consult with her physician? How is this even legal? And if it is not legal how bright is it to publicly announce the illegal violation of women's privacy? And those complicit in the offense. I.E. Family Research Council.

Upvote 0