1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Faith Options in Your User Profile
    Please click on the following regarding this important notice in Announcements:

Faith Options in Your User Profile.

Is something morally wrong with legalizing marijuana?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Autumnleaf, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Autumnleaf

Autumnleaf Legend

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    My sister thinks its a great idea. I'm not so sure. What do you think?

2. Infernalfist

Infernalfist Guest

i feel, like anything that we use to improve certain situations in our lives, it really isn't a question of if it's moral to make legal, but at what point does it's use become immoral?

3. Washington

Washington New Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    As long as liquor is legal, No.

4. LyraJean

LyraJean Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Liquor has killed more people than marijuana.

5. mpok1519

mpok1519 Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    It's immoral to punish people for it.

6. LyraJean

LyraJean Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Legalize and tax it just like they do with liquor and cigarettes.

7. Scolfield

Scolfield Junior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Deist
    It would be immoral not to.

8. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

Faith:
    Seeker
    I suspect the first question to ask is: Is there something morally wrong with smoking mj?

9. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Legalize and don't tax it, but keep people personally responsible for any negative consequences of using it.

To answer the OP: I don't think it is the government's business to try to regulate moral behavior, as if it were a cosmic parent. It is there to enforce rights and secure individual liberty. It is moral to understand and respect this.

Perhaps it needs to be said, but I have never used marijuana and don't intend to, even if it were legal.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. The Valkyrie

The Valkyrie Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Even if it were legal, I don't think I'd use it. The smell is terrible.

That being said, I think it should be legal. Far more dangerous things are legal, and there's no good argument for making it illegal, at least from what I've seen.

11. Fenny the Fox

Fenny the Fox Junior Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    ^This. I quote because I feel I may fail to be eloquent and/or articulate if I do not do so and attempt to repeat the same viewpoint so soon after it has been posited.

The only difference...I have done it. Once. And likely will not do so again. I don't see the big deal about it. It did absolutely nothing for me.

12. Mr. Ripley

Mr. Ripley The New Fad Outrage

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    No more immoral than legalizing and prescribing benzos, amphetamines, morphine, and a host of other far more dangerous drugs. Marijuana can be used recreationally (a joint now and then can be fun), but it also serves medicinal purposes, and at far less risk than most other prescription drugs.

13. OGM

OGM Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Prohibition never worked with alcohol and it is not working with marijuana. I don't smoke weed or cigarettes because I don't like smoke. That being said I think it is crazy spending billions of dollars putting people in jail because of the plant they like to inhale. Makes no sense to me.

14. chingchang

chingchang Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    While your statement is true...it is also misleading. There have been ZERO documented deaths directly attributable to marijuana ingestion...ZERO!

Hugs,
    CC

15. chingchang

chingchang Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Ahhh...the voice of reason...makes me smile.

CC

16. chingchang

chingchang Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    I think it is immoral that it is illegal. One word..."Dupont"...that is the main reason marijuana is illegal. Too bad for Corporations we live in an age of information...and people are starting to get turned-on to the truth. Marijuana will be legal in the USA within the next 10 years. Medical marijuana laws exist in 15 states now and in November Californians will get to vote on FULL legalization. Latest polls show a majority of voters in favor of legalization. Prohibition does not work. Millions of peoples lives have been ruined because of prohibition. God created this seed bearing plant...and he gave it to us for food and declared it good (Genesis 1). Think...

Hugs,
    CC

17. BlackCherry

BlackCherry New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    God did not create man and woman for us to spill life by intoxicating ourselves. Claiming that "we all should have a right to do whatever we want with our lives" is nothing but a huge denial of responsibility. We have the power to use the government to stop our neighbours from drinking and smoking, so you will have to answer before God why you didn't. When there is a right way of living your life, what goes against forcing people to follow that path.

18. SithDoughnut

SithDoughnut The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Atheist
    So, no freedom for anyone, yeah? We all stick to this one 'right' way that isn't actually supported by anything but the book that you claim is true?

Let's play a game - guess the word I'm thinking of when I read your post. I'll give you a clue: it begins with 'the' and ends with 'ocracy'.

19. LyraJean

LyraJean Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Remember once you start changing laws to suppress other people's rights then your rights will be the next to go.

20. BlackCherry

BlackCherry New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    There is no automatic reciprocation here, as no person voting has the ability to address the ban on marijuana to me as a Christian. Therefore, the pro-marijuana people don't know who to retaliate against. This is a part of the voting system that we Christians should exploit to make sure God's will is followed.

You can take away other people's rights, without having your own revoked. Whether you want to or not, is more a function of Satan's grip of your mind.