1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Faith Options in Your User Profile
    Please click on the following regarding this important notice in Announcements:

Faith Options in Your User Profile.

Is showing cleavage a sin?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by CharAznable, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p1235

p1235 Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    Showing any skin aside from the face or hands is a sin. Christian women should keep covered at all times lest they tempt us. A good burkha would be a nice choice to keep brothers from stumbling.

2. wayfaring man

wayfaring man Veteran

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    How about learning how to crucify one's own lust, so that our ability to walk without stumbling isn't determined by everyone else's actions.

3. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann I left Mormonism for Christ

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Protestant
    I've never seen breasts on any women that were on their collar bones! I would see a doctor.

4. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann I left Mormonism for Christ

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Sure...and I thought self-control was a gift of the Spirit.

5. wayfaring man

wayfaring man Veteran

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Well it is...but in it's absence many apparently resort to ultra strict legalism, and putting the bulk of the onus on others rather than address their own spiritual lack/need.

6. CounselorForChrist

CounselorForChrist Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Using the excuse of self control is not the exucse to use sometimes.

I grew up with amazing self control. I am 30 years old and never did drugs, never drank, never smoked. And no I did not "try it" either. I didn't even have sex until 27. Yes self control is a factor, but people should not "tempt" you either. Especially as a male.

Example I often went to the beach because we live right near Lake Erie. Well sure there was women that I would "notice". Even when you don't mean to, you still sometimes look. Well there was this one girl in our homeschool group (made up of christians and non-christians), well she were practically a g-string looking bikini (which later she was told not to).

When I would swim in the water with everyone else she would come near me put her hands on me trying to get me aroused. Once she even told me we could have sex out in the water and no one would notice so she slipped off her bottom of her bikini and tried rubbing herself on me. It was easy to ignore her and swim away. BUt as time went on it was increasingly making me start to think lustful thoughts.

Eventually I told one her one last time to stop or else I'd let her mother know and the leader of the group. She stopped. But from the on she would "Tease" like when we were at the bowling alley she would purposly bend over in front of me so I could see up her skirt or down her shirt. In the end she ended up getting pregnant by some guy a few months later and stopped talking to me.

So my point is while we do need self control, people should not tempt others either. To me your being just as sinful to tempt someone (especially a man). Everyone has a breaking point.

As a male I've learned to control my "sexual" nature alot. I no longer think of anything bad whe I see nudity in a movie. I don't look at stuff I shouldn't online. If I stumble across it like in an ad I just ignore it. Now to me the body is a beautiful thing that shouldn't be thought of sexually. Well not until your married obviously. It helps though since I was going to be a doctor originally. I had studied the human body like crazy learning how things work so I was used to a nude body of a male and female.

7. wayfaring man

wayfaring man Veteran

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Yea, covered the other side of the issue in post # 200.

Above comments were aimed at a rather extreme point of view at the other end of the spectrum.

Do agree it's a matter for both sides to consider, and seek to act responsibly/reasonably within the principle of Christ's Golden Rule.

Plus the original topic was mainly about clothing, and not someone physically touching/acting as a seductress.

wm

8. Avniel

Avniel Doing my part each day by being the best me

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    So because you are doing better now women have the right to wear a little more of the clothes you might consider tempting and they consider sexy?? C'mon that is a bit self centered.

I'm married and my wife wears clothes that makes her feel good. She doesn't wear them for anyone else but her self. And it is what it is she not trying to make anyone stumble but if she does then they need to pray and ask God for strength. Don't look to my wife for strength that's my wife look to Jesus Christ.

9. CounselorForChrist

CounselorForChrist Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Psychology disagrees with you. Peer pressure growing up is really bad. Most people lack the self control to say no to drugs, boos and sex. Its all about self control.

Erm...where did I say that?!?

Most guys are weak. Most women don't trust men because they cheat. Hence they are weak. I never said I see a woman and lust, I said what you did, I notice them.

Not gonna reply to the rest of your comments. You seem to be putting words in my mouth that I did not speak. Maybe you need to pray about your temper and urge to judge people without knowing them. I can tell you obviously just are jealous because I had self control and you didn't before you became a chrisian. Its ok though, I'm use to men getting <bleeped> off when they see there are men who can control themselves. Its makes them look bad. :thumbsup:

10. Whenever people see a girl showing cleavage, many will think "easy girl", "desperate girl for attention".

Now I ask you, did Mary, the woman who gave birth to Jesus, show cleavage? Would she ever have done it?

11. yellow brick road

yellow brick road Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I'm sure someone may have already answered this in this way, i say it is a ok to do for ones husband. For his eyes only.

12. Nienna_Lady_of_Tears

Nienna_Lady_of_Tears Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    They're not on the collar bones themselves, but the breast tissue on some women is so full in the top half that it almost goes up to their collar bones. Myself included. In order to not show cleavage I actually have to wear regular Men's t-shirts or turtle necks. I don't try to show cleavage, but sometimes shirts ride down or a guy can look down and see it, etc.

13. AMEN! :thumbsup:

God calls Christians to live a Holy Life, that means a moral and pure life and not a life walking around exposing parts of private areas which can cause others to stumble in sin and have inappropriate thoughts.

Leave that stuff for your husband in a private room.

God bless.

14. How come I have seen women who never have that problem? Answer, because they dress like a lady and not a cheap exposing whore.

Buy new clothing if you got that problem. Simple as that. Unless of course you have some sort of weird liking to guys looking down there?

God bless.

15. MasterpieceMesias

MasterpieceMesias King of Stoic Cynicism

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    ^^ of course this is coming from the guy that says my previous sig had 'satanic' connotations due to the physical appearance of the band members and thinks that if Jesus were around today he'd wear white shirts and jeans. . .
    *rolls eyes*

16. chaoticfirefly

chaoticfirefly chaotic neutral

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Just my opinion, but I find nothing wrong with it as long as there's no...sexual factors behind it. I try not to wear shirts that show off my cleavage but it's kind of hard to find clothes that don't show off a ton of skin unless I shop in the boys section (who, by the way, have more comfortable clothes).

17. Avniel

Avniel Doing my part each day by being the best me

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I'm not mad I am just very passionate about people attempting to oppress others. As a man of God my job is to protect women of God. Not only from physical conditions such as poverty and physical pain....But also from mental and spiritual chains.

See what many people don't understand is Christianity is not a religion it is having faith in the truth. Many people mostly men have taken the position of the pharisees and are using laws to makes themselves look more morally strong then the next person. Even when the pharisee like person falls it is because of someone else and the devil used "Ms. Y" to tempt them. They use these laws to oppress people not free them. Jesus came to free the world from this type of oppression He showed us that love and being righteous has more to do with where your heart is versus what type of clothes you were.

Now I am not angered or mad at anything you say or do....or even think....However I am very passionate about not using scriptures to oppress people because Jesus was not and is not an oppressor He is a freer of the church.

Your post comes off to me as arrogance. And you stated you had more self control then me, yet and still when the woman approached you, you fell into temptation and your thought process began to change. That is your lack of self control and as a man it is not mine. I am sure there are other Christian men in the world that's minds are not controlled by pretty women as yours were.

My point that you clearly missed is that with self control and humbleness with a faith in God a man will notice beauty and the thought will not go any further. Regardless of what that said woman is wearing or not wearing. And a man that can not do this should not blame the woman he is attracted to sexual but his own flesh not her's.

The response you sent me lacked depth and seemed to be a tad bit sophomoric. I was honestly wondering how old are you? I take you are a younger man and some of these things I speak of come with maturity and experience with life.

Be blessed

18. znr

znr Report THIS. Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Oh, I feel a comment coming on ...

19. MasterpieceMesias

MasterpieceMesias King of Stoic Cynicism

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
  20. p1235

p1235 Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    This topic is a joke.

Why not just tell christian women to wear hair coverings too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.