Is Showing Cleavage Immodest? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is such a strange disscussion i love it^^
Normaly guys would beg for more cleavage.
You are really something else.
Problem in my opinion is that while it used to be perfectly normal for a women to walk around naked (like eve), nowadays the womens breasts are hidden so much from sight that it becomes more exciting for men even when they only see a little of it. But the breasts themselves are nothing evil. They used to feed every one of us. I believe the fault is not at the breasts or their wearers but at society for being to prude.
What do you think about that?

censored.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't looking at this post.

(Joking :D )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
ChrisHolland619

The simple act of showing cleavage is not a sin, no. But it does cause others to stumble.

How so? How does it just... force... a person to stumble? If that was true Christians would be forced to sin every time they went to the mall. Everyone needs self control, not just the women with their clothing, the boys with indisciplined minds need it too. We are talking cleavage here... not nipples or boobs. This is a cultural, personal, issue. It is silly to say that a woman showing the upper portion of her breasts simply makes a person stumble.
There lies the sin. You are causing others to stumble.

You are not CAUSING that person to stumble, and even if it their cleavage was the occasion of THEM stumbling, I still would not classify that as sin.

Some people have very high sexual tendencies and minds. If I have been good in the Lord all day and controlled my sexual thoughts and thought about God all day, and then I see you walking in the room with your stuff hanging out, I start to think bad thoughts. Guess what?

Absolutely not, your sexual thoughts are your own, you are in control of yourself or at least you are supposed to be, if she walked up to you and pulled them out or pushed your face into them I could see that as her HELPING YOU sin, but cleavage... no. That's all you.

That's your fault, not mine, and while I'll ask for forgiveness, you have a part to play in it as well.

It's your fault, cleavage isn't inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
doesn't make it any less ridiculous about the fact that a 15 page thread about cleavage exists. I don't care if there's one post every two years, this thread should've ended at probably page 3, 5 is pushing it.
and Christians wonder why they get laughed at all the time.

Why should it have ended in 3 to 5 pages? Because you think it's that simple? Maybe other's don't agree with you, maybe others find it a bit more important than you do, maybe others don't think it's stupid... your being rude and judgemental.

Maybe you cannot see it but this concerns Christian living, the way women are allowed to dress, the responsibilities that men have over their own sexual desires and actions, this actually spans a few big deal issues like a woman's right to wear what she honestly feels is ok to wear.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2012
✟15,203.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why should it have ended in 3 to 5 pages? Because you think it's that simple? Maybe other's don't agree with you, maybe others find it a bit more important than you do, maybe others don't think it's stupid... your being rude and judgemental.

Maybe you cannot see it but this concerns Christian living, the way women are allowed to dress, the responsibilities that men have over their own sexual desires and actions, this actually spans a few big deal issues like a woman's right to wear what she honestly feels is ok to wear.

Now there's a wise man!

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree that women do need to dress considerately, appropriately, but you can't say cleavage is where it becomes obscene in general, as a rule, that's a very personal subject and men have to take responsibility for their own bodies. There are degress of cleavage... it can be a little or it be a lot, it isn't just sin in or tempting in general.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Annie Mouse

Mar 2, 2011
✟7,781.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't say that it is a sin, nor would I say that it isn't. I do think we should dress modestly though, in general.

I might mention that in my case, some people -especially "well-meaning christians"- have encouraged me to actually dress in MORE revealing clothes. I've actually had friends who gave me little shirts that show off one's breasts, hips, behind, in the hopes that I'd start dressing like them. I don't wear clothes like that. I normally cover everything up, apparently a little too well, from what people tell me. I'm nunnish, in more ways than one, but I'm happy that way.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2012
✟15,203.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't say that it is a sin, nor would I say that it isn't. I do think we should dress modestly though, in general.

I might mention that in my case, some people -especially "well-meaning christians"- have encouraged me to actually dress in MORE revealing clothes. I've actually had friends who gave me little shirts that show off one's breasts, hips, behind, in the hopes that I'd start dressing like them. I don't wear clothes like that. I normally cover everything up, apparently a little too well, from what people tell me. I'm nunnish, in more ways than one, but I'm happy that way.

Don't be too nunnish girl^^ use those things and men will do everything for ya :D. sorry guys but thats just how it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Righteous judgment goes not by appearance, but by the spirit in which something is done.

For example: If in a very warm climate one wears somewhat revealing clothes to avoid overheating, that in itself wouldn't be sinful.

But if someone realizes it weakens others in a bad way, and then does it anyway...or does it purposely for that sense of power over others weakness...than that is sinful.

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. <-----> Romans 14:13

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak. <-----> Romans 14:21

It does work both ways though too.

For one can be offensive by not regarding how another/others may stumble or be made weak spiritually.

And one can also be offensive by putting too much emphasis on how others need to make all kinds of sacrifices so that we are not offended or made weak.

There ought to be some tolerance for inconsideration, and some consideration for intolerance.

Also, if our inspiration/motivation isn't right our acts won't yield the desirable fruit.

For example: if one "bundles up begrudgingly", they likely despise the weakness which calls for covering up, and that creates strife.

But if one sacrifices in godly/brotherly love...than the fruit will be good and acceptable.

Also if one cries out for others to make sacrifices in lieu of seeking to be strengthened within, using others as a sort of scapegoat for their own lack of strength, that is not going to bring about the desired effect.

But if one avidly seeks The Lord's strength within, yet needs/desires a little assistance along the way, that is not wrong or unacceptable, and should therefore be accommodated.

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
<-----> Philippians 4:4+5

wm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.