Is saying nothing lying

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Say that you know someone who was spreading lies about another person you know, and yet you know what the truth is, and you don't speak up. Is saying nothing the same as lying about what you know?
No, it´s not lying, and it´s not the same as lying.
But...are you really sure you wanted to ask but a semantics question? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which problem would that be, exactly?

And that's the right question. Perhaps you'll figure it out then. You've always been a sharp one, quatona.

But I am not arguing for or against the existence of some very specific 'problem'. I'm just saying you're not helping matters if you do not recognize that omission is lying. I was saying problem in a more broad way.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
And that's the right question. Perhaps you'll figure it out then. You've always been a sharp one, quatona.
Is this a quiz, or something? Do I win a steak knife set?

But I am not arguing for or against the existence of some very specific 'problem'. I'm just saying you're not helping matters if you do not recognize that omission is lying. I was saying problem in a more broad way.
Well, I am sorry I have to ask, but: What/whose matters am I not helping that I am supposed to help? Maybe these are matters I am not even intending to help?
It´s a semantics question, and I am merely going by what I found in the dictionaries.
That´s as helpful as it gets.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Say that you know someone who was spreading lies about another person you know, and yet you know what the truth is, and you don't speak up. Is saying nothing the same as lying about what you know?
No
You can also ask the person to not use your ear as a garbage can and hang up the phone or walk away. My pastor got so upset when they spread lies about him lol but then he just hung up or didn't read LOL. If they wanted to complain about another pastor: nope don't wanna hear it.
Gossip is sin. It's not a sin to just not listen to it. First he would call people who spread lies about him to tell them it wasn't true and then he was like: oh who cares? Good luck! Don't want to hear it.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Funny once a guy came up to me. My ex was a pastor and in Holland if people don't agree they go to another church. So we had a new church and all those people came from another church and btw left within no time, because they didn't agree with him either. This guy comes up to me and he didn't know I was dating him so he says: Jim steals sheep.
Oh my I just couldn't stop laughing. It was so funny, I pictured Louis de Funes with that chicken thief before he went into a church.
So I just laughed, I didn't say no because blablabla.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I respectfully disagree with those who construe not speaking up in this situation as a sin of omission, or even as a transgression. To me, a sin of omission is when you have an ethical obligation to correct an assumption made about you or to reveal something pertinent to those deserving of that knowledge. It differs from this scenario because the person hearing the lies is a third party. He is not the one maliciously gossiping and slandering someone else, and is not the one being lied about. He's merely a witness. As to whether he is duty-bound to correct that slander, that needs some consideration. What those lies are about and what the consequences of them could be is definitely a factor. If it is something that could cause ruination for another person then that's an entirely different matter than if the lie is petty in nature. The relationship the 3rd party has with the first and second parties is also relevant. If the gossiper is a friend I might privately tell him or her that what's been said isn't true. I wouldn't elaborate beyond what's absolutely necessary. I might consider telling the subject of the lies, depending again on the circumstances.

Sometimes intervening in "foolish controversies" can actually worsen such a situation rather than help to ameliorate it. A person willing to lie about someone else would also likely be willing to take whatever information is given in an attempt to correct the falsehoods and spin it around. As an example, I'm a nationally ranked competitive dancer and there have been rumors circulating about me on a popular dance forum and on YouTube since I was 12 that I have an eating disorder. Some kids have directly lied about me and fabricated stories about me admitting to being anorexic to them or other proof. Friends with good intentions tried to correct the lies by offering up truth (I have serious medical issues), but what they revealed was actually private information I hadn't wanted to be public. Their involvement also escalated and perpetrated the rumors by feeding into them. I would have most definitely preferred that they simple ignored the nonsense and not involved themselves. There was also a ludicrous rumor that my parents paid judges for my placing, and to me even acknowledging that was giving them more worth than they deserve. I was totally aware of the rumor and rolled my eyes and moved on, but those wanting to defend me and correct the rumor actually gave it fuel. That's why I think it's so crucial to evaluate the whole of the situation and then make a decision about whether it is prudent and necessary to take action, or whether it's actually more logical and kind to not involve yourself.

Upvote 0

IAMANOBODY2015

Worthy is the Lamb
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Somewhere in Washington
✟51,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
No, it´s not lying, and it´s not the same as lying.
But...are you really sure you wanted to ask but a semantics question? ;)

I don't know know what that means. I looked up the word semantics and still did not understand the meaning.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think one has a moral obligation for the truth. Otherwise, you are lying. Either to yourself, or to others.

Omission is lying. Guilt by association, if that helps you picture it.
I don't agree, sometimes it's just best to keep your mouth closed and your nose out of other people's business. It really does depend on the circumstances.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0