Is saying "holy crap" blasphemy?

Is saying "holy crap!" blasphemy?

• Blasphemy!!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

• Not blasphemy. He can live a little while longer...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just wanted a thought or two on the subject. THANKS!
How about this? Is thinking it just as bad? How about when you drop your groceries, or stub your toe and stop yourself from taking the Lord's name in vain, because you know it's a sin, but it still pops into your head, is that a sin?

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How about this? Is thinking it just as bad? How about when you drop your groceries, or stub your toe and stop yourself from taking the Lord's name in vain, because you know it's a sin, but it still pops into your head, is that a sin?
Nope. We are to take thoughts captive..which implies the initial thought jumping in your head isn't the issue...it's what we do with it once we capture it.

However, the more time we spend in His Word and thinking on higher things...the less likely the wrong thoughts will pop in our heads.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nope. We are to take thoughts captive..which implies the initial thought jumping in your head isn't the issue...it's what we do with it once we capture it.

However, the more time we spend in His Word and thinking on higher things...the less likely the wrong thoughts will pop in our heads.
But isn't it along the same lines of thinking about a woman with lust in our hearts? For the sin of murder and adultery Jesus used what was in our hearts as the example rather than our actions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But isn't it along the same lines of thinking about a woman with lust in our hearts? For the sin of murder and adultery Jesus used what was in our hearts as the example rather than our actions.
The diference is a thought pops into your head...do yuo capture it and get rid of it or do you dwell on it?

I don't know about you, but adultery is not a quick thought in mind. You correctly brought it up..."with lust in your heart". This means it wasn't a quick thought..it was dwelt on and became an issue.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have no problem with it .

( from mw online )Main Entry: blas·phe·my
Pronunciation: 'blas-f&-mE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -mies
1 a : the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God b : the act of claiming the attributes of deity
2 : irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

Let's see ...
1 a : the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God

Since it says nothing about "God" , this doesn't fit .

1b : the act of claiming the attributes of deity

No mention that crap is God .

2 : irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

If anything , it is showing reverence for crap - certainly no irreverence .

So , nope , no blasphemy

Upvote 0

nydaddy5

Dec 4, 2006
Upstate, NY
✟7,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tony Campolo sums it up best:

I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a <insert "S" word>. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said <insert "S" word> than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night."

I think it's obvious what we should be concentrating on in this life. If you are more concerned about someone saying the "S" word, so concerned that you judge them and call them a potty mouth for using the word "damn", then you have larger issues than language.

That is convicting. WOW!! That is VERY powerful. Thanks.:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it. What would you be blaspheming--faeces?

It's a pretty silly phrase when you stop to think about it. Who in their right mind would seriously think that the speaker could possibly worship, well, you know? But it does conjure some interesting and downright entertaining mental images.

Actually you're calling poop holy. I don't think it has anything to do with blasphemy. It's blasphemy when you use Gods name or Jesus in a deragatory way. Holy Cow is a Hindu god. I'd rather say holy *poo* than cow.
But it doesn't make the poo any more "holy" and it certainly doesn't stop the smell :p Especially my babies poo..... or cat's (Sometimes I think they have a stink competition going on!):sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Actually you're calling poop holy. I don't think it has anything to do with blasphemy. It's blasphemy when you use Gods name or Jesus in a deragatory way. Holy Cow is a Hindu god. I'd rather say holy *poo* than cow.
But it doesn't make the poo any more "holy" and it certainly doesn't stop the smell :p Especially my babies poo..... or cat's (Sometimes I think they have a stink competition going on!):sigh:

LOLOLOLLLLLLLLL :D

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Close. Hindus consider cows sacred, but "holy cow" doesn't refer to any specific deity. It's essentially on the same level as holy crap.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
flesh99 said:
Tony Campolo sums it up best:

I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a <insert "S" word>. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said <insert "S" word> than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night."

I think it's obvious what we should be concentrating on in this life. If you are more concerned about someone saying the "S" word, so concerned that you judge them and call them a potty mouth for using the word "damn", then you have larger issues than language.

That is convicting. WOW!! That is VERY powerful. Thanks.:crossrc:

Thought-provoking. I actually love that quote. :)

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My brother in law used to say "holy buckets" --

If you change the subject of what's "holy", it becomes less noticeable.
I'd think nothing of someone saying holy buckets or holy pencils... (remembers the original Batman & Robin with the 'holy' lines lol)

But the problem comes with the 2nd word imo - some people take offense to the word 'crap' as too vulgar; some don't. I think it's a personal conviction issue.

I'll just say this, I'd MUCH rather hear "holy crap" than most of the cursing I'm hearing today using God's name in such disgusting & perverted ways.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.