Is saying "holy crap" blasphemy?

Is saying "holy crap!" blasphemy?

• Blasphemy!!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

• Not blasphemy. He can live a little while longer...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In church, certain language is not appropriate that may be at home. And at home, certain language between family is not appropriate that may be just hanging out with friends. Right is indeed right regardless of location, but in this case, I'm of the opinion that right isn't "don't use these certain words," but "don't use words that are inappropriate to the situation."

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gennfamily said:
Every word out of our mouth matters. clean,holy,profane,vulgar,coarse,gross and any other type. Every word.
Excrement by any other name is excrement whether someone else is around to see it or hear it. Even if every one in the world thought excrement was fun and entertaining would not make it so in the sight of God nor should it be for His servants. The Bible makes it clear that our words have greater substance and significance than physical food. Everyone of us has a responsibility to keep our speech clean. Not just for our own sakes but also for the sake of our example. Everyone of us will give an account of our words. I don't really know about all these distinctions between course and vulgar. I do know that while the world has come to speech such as you find on "South Park" the church ought to have more against that language than merely what the person sitting next to you thinks of it. Does the world set the standard that the Christian follows?
Actually in this case society does in fact set the standard. If society does not consider a word to be vulgar then it is not. Pray tell what the actual, real, definable differnce is between excrement, crap, and the "S" word? I want a real difference and not just that the "S"word is vulgar. I want something beyond society's impression. English, in fact espcially English, is defined by common usage. The language is not set in stone at all. For instance, off the topic of vulgarity but proving the point, a turner and a spatula are diffent implements and the words meant different things at one time but spatula has been redefined by usage to mean the same thing as turner. This will happen with the "S" word at some in the not too distant future because it is in common use now. In two generations at the most it will not be vulgar because of that. With such a language how can one be legalistic to the point of calling someone a potty mouth? Which by the by is offensive if you think about the implications of the phrase. It is more offensive than the "S" word as the "S" word simply refers to excrement and "potty mouth" describes someone's mouth as a toilet which recieves excrement in two different forms. So why is your nicety "potty mouth" acceptable? Fifty years ago that phrase would have been wholly offensive and raised the ire of anyone against which it was used and yet today you accuse others of being such a vile thing. How does this add up at all?

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gennfamily said:
Do you have kids? if you do do you let them swear? Do you let them use this reasoning? If this is true then do you swear in church? Do you explain this reasoning then? I'm not being flip I'm getting at right should be right in your living room, your classroom or your church.
Tony Campolo sums it up best:

I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a <insert "S" word>. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said <insert "S" word> than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night."

I think it's obvious what we should be concentrating on in this life. If you are more concerned about someone saying the "S" word, so concerned that you judge them and call them a potty mouth for using the word "damn", then you have larger issues than language.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gennfamily said:

No I'm upset that 3,000 kids might not have died last night if people had said Oh merciful God forgive our sins and iniquities and save us in Your great mercy and compassion. We praise you Oh Lord God that You watch over orphans and widows. Thank You in the name of Your Precious son Jesus.
INSTEAD of...what was that word you used....?
I find it interesting again that one sin justifies another. So long as there is starvation and suffering filthy language is o.k.? Neither is o.k. I personally do pray specifically about these issues-every day. My sister lost her sanity serving in Iraq due to the suffering of women and children that she witnessed and was helpless to stop. I work to end hunger:fasting, buying and donating MY food budget to the shelter,growing food for and working at the food bank, feeding the local kids as well as praying extensively for this, the Lords' mercy on the citizens of all war torn and suffering nations, soldiers children, for medicine and supplies to be delivered and have driven my Pastor up the wall with urging to the congegration to pray-especially for kids. Do I think my "works" are anything? No, but I think that I need to try to have clean lips and urge others to have clean lips so that our prayers can be heard by the Lord while there is still time to help these kids-these parents-this world-my sister-my kids-me. And while we are at saying how I don't care and how calling it a potty mouth is offensive-my eleven year old who routinely insists that we pull over in town so that she can give away her own lunch and mall money to homeless people is also offended as a Christian by filthy language as is my 16 year old daughter who works on missions trips helping feed,bathe, watch and tell children about her Lord Jesus and also works in the food bank and donates her time caring for underpriveledged children here in the community.

Tony's point is valid even if you are not one of the people he is refering to. Saying the "S word" is not sinful. You cannot show in scripture it being such. That is legalism. We are under the spirit and not the letter of any law. You also failed to address your own offensive speech calling someone a potty mouth and thereby implying that their mouth is receptacle for excrement of all kinds. Bad words are only bad because people think that they are. What you said is more offensive than the "S word" if you consider what it means. You do not have to use one of the "seven words" to be vulgar. (See: George Carlin) Your speech can be vulgar without any so called vulgar words. I could describe things completely in medical terms and be vulgar. People who worry about specific words need to get off of their legalism. Sure I have things I need to deal with but if you are willing to go around calling people "potty mouth" then you might consider that whole speck and plank thing Jesus talked about!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BohemianMare

Apr 17, 2006
✟7,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We are told in the Bible we shall not take thy Lord's name in vain...so I avoid the 'JC's' and 'GDs'. But when Scripture speaks elsewhere about vulgar language it doesn't give a list, thus, in my thought, meaning they're speaking of what is considered to be profane at the time. So, yes, we shouldn't say things like 'crap' but if the general consensus is that it's acceptable, then it's not truly vulgar. Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gennfamily said:
George Carlin defines your thinking on Christian issues? And me saying swearing is defiling your mouth is rebukable but Tony Campolo who deliberately swears at people to be offensive is a great example and model of righteousness?
I never said anyone was the model of righteousness. I merely pointed out that you had been vulgar in this thread and rather horribly so. I used George Carlin because it's an easy reference to words people find dirty with nothing more than an abritrary reason. If you can give me one reason, outside of perception, that the "S" word is worse than potty mouth then you are right. The problem is that you cannot. Vulgarity is not what is being refered to in the scriptures you posted. Profanity may be but even that would stretching it.

To answer your first question: Scripture defines my thinking on Christian issues. Scripture does not say that anything resembling modern vulgarity is a sin. To elevate it to that level is extra-scriptural and legalistic to boot. We are warned against coarse language and that is defined by our surroundings, circumstances, and company. Words are just words until someone else attaches a value to them. The "S" word might not be a big deal to me and "potty mouth" isn't to you regardless of the vulgar imagery it brings to mind. I am speaking against legalism and condemnation here and nothing more.

Upvote 0

gennfamily

May 24, 2006
✟15,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
gennfamily said:
use of the mouth needs to be clean not dirty. even a very small kid will be able to help you understand what a potty mouth is. Having a potty mouth doesn't make you grown up it just shows that you don't care about other peoples feelings. and fancy talk won't change it.
I stand corrected. I publicly apologize for this gem of offensive, horribly vulgar, legalistic statement of judgement and condemnation.

Reactions: Gukkor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kamtre

Kamtre, Agent of Light
Jun 22, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
✟8,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, I suppose that it is bad, as Crap is the short version of Crapper, who is the person who invented the toilet (his first name was John :p ) and since no man is holy ('cept Jesus) then it is bad. Just crap is Ok.. and instead of holy say oh.. i dunno, I actually started thinking of the fact that it's bad just kuz u made a poll,thanks, lol

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Though Crap Is Certainly Anything But Holy
I Wouldn't Consider It Blaspemy
Just Poor Taste In Vocabulary
What Matters Is What Was In Your Heart When You Said It...
Some People May Use Less Harsh Words
But Still Mean It In The Harsher Sense

I Once Hurt My Finger And Said "darn"
My Minister Brother Replied:

"don't Say Darn, You'll Go To Heck"

I Always Thought That Was Funny...and It Did Make Me Think About What Was In My Heart.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.