Is saying "holy crap" blasphemy?

Is saying "holy crap!" blasphemy?

• Blasphemy!!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

• Not blasphemy. He can live a little while longer...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lpe04 said:
This is pretty ridiculous. I think what matters is the heart of an individual and what they are trying to say when they speak phrases. If this isn't causing someone to stumble and you are walking in love, then it is fine.
I agree the heart of the individual is very important. But the words that come out of their mouth are also important. If I was to say GD but not mean it as blasphemy and my heart wasn’t in it, would that make it ok?

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That would be the hardest essay in the world for me. You know why? Because there's really no true reason why we don't use profanity. Okay, so we don't use profanity because it might offend other people. Why are they offended? Because of what it might imply? They take no offense to the exact same implication if it's phrased differently. Is it because God gave us a list of words not to use at dawn of humanity that we must follow? No. No He didn't.

If you really think about, any of the common explanations as to why we refrain from using profanity (nevermind the fact that what words are and aren't profanity are almost completely relative) all lead into an endless spiral of circular logic.

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
gennfamily said:
ok just out of curiosity r u seriously telling me that in your opinion nothing offends u, nothing should offend me or anyone else and nothimg ought to be left out of our mind and speech?

No, I'm saying that in my opinion, what I'm saying is that words can't offend me, intent can. If people say "damn" is profanity while "darn" is not when they both mean the same thing and are used in the same way, something is wrong.

Upvote 0

handmaiden97

Veteran
Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never really thought about it before, I say stuff like that sometimes....but truth is the only thing truly Holy is God and we who are in relationship with Him are hold as well through him...crap is nither God nor something that can be in relationship with Him so....maybe it is blasphemy....I will have t think twice next time Im tempted to say holy cow or something like that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gennfamily said:
ok that was a profane example. use of the mouth needs to be clean not dirty. even a very small kid will be able to help you understand what a potty mouth is. Having a potty mouth doesn't make you grown up it just shows that you don't care about other peoples feelings. and fancy talk won't change it.
Damn is used in scripture and the meaning depends on context. Scripture cautions us on the use of coarse language but that is a societal issue. There are times when I am in a place that nothing can come out of my mouth and be considered coarse by anyone I am around and other times when even darn would offend someone. Words alone are just words and not in and of themselves faulty, vulgar, or offensive. It is only in the minds of humans that they become those things.

If I am around someone who is not offended by anything commonly considered vulgar but uttering "Jesus Christ" if I stub my toe would offend them then I am free to say whatever else comes to mind even if the majority of people consider it offensive. We are talking about something entirely objective here. There is not a list of words that cannot be used by Christians nor should there be. That is legalism. The situation you are in, whatever situation that may be, defines what is acceptable. Words by themselves are entirely neutral no matter what our brains do with them. If we are offended by a word without consideration for intent then we have larger things to be concerned about than just words.

Language changes. There are things we use as common vernacular that were in fact offensive fifty years ago and even moreso one hundred years ago. I expect that in another hundred years the things some are offended by today will be commonly used words with no stigma attached. This is the nature of language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bod44

Jun 19, 2006
Eatonville, Washington
✟15,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God alone is truly holy, then anything we call holy is therefore being raised to God's level or God is being lowered to said object's level. Its not the crap or the cow part that is blasphemy its blaspheming God because it puts God on the same level as a cow or crap. (God forbid.) Never really thought about it before though! lol The important thing as well as was mentioned earlier is whether its blasphemy or not, does it glorify God? If we are to be holy like God is holy in every aspect of our lives, then we probably should cut out quite a bit of our vain and useless slang etc.1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

Reactions: gennfamily
Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gennfamily said:
Proverbs Chapter 18 verses 20 and 21 states: 20 A man’s stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth; From the produce of his lips he shall be filled. 21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit. And in Matthew Chapter 15, verses, 10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.”
This changes none of what I have said. There are things we use in everday language that were offensive 50 years ago or less. Offensive is a completely and totally subjective (used the wrong word in my last post). The scriptures you pointed out are not speaking of vulgarity and likely not even coarse language but rather, if anything, profanity. Profanity and vulgarity are similar but not the same. You can be vulgar without being profane. The cautions against coarse speech are the only references to the most common "offensive" words. The scriptures referenced are speaking of much greater issues than simple vulgarity because a word is only vulgar is someone hearing it considers it such. You will not find a word that was vulgar in scripture and is still vulgar today. There is no list of words Christians cannot utter. We should try and not offend but the scriptures posted, and applied to vulgarity, are worse than legalism they are just plain taken out of context.

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But the only reason you even believe God thinks those words unclean is because of what other people think about them. Essentially, people read that the Bible says not to use coarse language, people hear words that they think of as coarse, and people then try to say that the Bible says these words are wrong. It's flawed logic to make an absolute statement like that when the belief is founded on one's personal opinion about a word (or rather societies opinion, in this case).

Or are you suggesting that even speaking of excrement, for example, is ungodly under any circumstances, regardless of the word used? I imagine many farmers and gardners would have a hard time with that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.