Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 100% Jewish New Covenant doesn't apply today because all 12 tribes have not been God's people for the last 1946 years. There has been no prophecy fulfilled during that time. The present nation of Israel is man made. Everyone today is a Gentile in God's eyes.

Jas 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

Jas 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

Jas 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
BAB2,

All that scripture you quote applied to before AD 70 and will apply, as in Revelation, after this parenthetical 2000 year present age is over. In AD 70, God's prophetic clock stopped and it won't start again until the present Gentile church appears in glory. As Charles Welch said, concerning this present age, "There are no tracks in and no tracks out." It exists as a totally separate entity.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God's prophetic clock stopped and it won't start again until the present Gentile church appears in glory.

The present day Church, as in the whole Body of Christ, is not a Gentile Church and it never has been.
During the first few years it was almost completely Jewish.
Today it is mainly made up of Gentile believers, but continues to also contain those who are the descendants of Jacob.

I know some of these Jewish Christians and have been in a home Bible study with some of them.

Therefore, your statement above contains a false narrative designed to make John Darby's doctrine work.

The New Covenant Church started on the day of Pentecost with those of the House of Israel and does not end before the Second Coming of Christ.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The new covenant was for the Jews - Jeremiah 31:31, period. Since NOTHING today has anything to do with any of the 12 tribes of Israel, the new covenant certainly doesn't apply today.

The only way you can get your statement to work is by ignoring the Book of Hebrews, especially chapter 8.

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. (This was present tense in the first century.)

Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
(This and much of the following text comes from Jeremiah chapter 31.)

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Again, this is present tense in the first century.)

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. (Jesus is the fulfillment of the new covenant promise given to Jeremiah.)

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All that scripture you quote applied to before AD 70 and will apply, as in Revelation, after this parenthetical 2000 year present age is over. In AD 70, God's prophetic clock stopped and it won't start again until the present Gentile church appears in glory. As Charles Welch said, concerning this present age, "There are no tracks in and no tracks out." It exists as a totally separate entity.

What did Jesus say?

Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
(There is one Shepherd, with one fold.)

What did Paul say?

Rom 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
(There is one Olive Tree, with two types of branches, both Israelite and Gentile.)

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. (Christ is the mediator of the New Covenant foretold in Jeremiah chapter 31.)

Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
(The New Blood Covenant of Christ is "everlasting". It did not stop in 70 AD.)

This age ends at the Second Coming of Christ.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dispensationalism’s Two Peoples of God Doctrine:

Now we will turn back to modern Dispensational Theology, which was brought to America around the time of the Civil War by John Nelson Darby. How has this doctrine confused the covenants found in scripture? Dispensationalists have mainly ignored the New Blood Covenant in their attempts to promote the Two Peoples of God doctrine.

According to the book “Dispensationalism” by Dr. Charles C. Ryrie, one of the keys to modern Dispensational Theology is the distinction between Israel and the Church. Clearance Larkin was one of the old time classic Dispensationalists who used to add to it… “And never the twain shall meet.” As we shall see later, he and others adopted the belief that the kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven are not the same. They also said the Jews are God’s eternal earthly people, while the Church is God’s eternal heavenly people. You will also often hear Dispensationalists say the Gospels were written for the Jews, while the Epistles were written for the Church. Many will call this “Rightly Dividing the Word”, which they take from 2nd Timothy chapter 2.

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

One of Dispensationalism’s main methods of confirming its doctrine is to ignore Paul’s references to Two Israels, Israel of the Flesh and Israel of the Promise.

I have never heard a Dispensational preacher give a sermon on the New Covenant or any of Paul’s writings which show the differences between Israel of the Flesh and Israel of the Promise.

When John G. Reisinger was in Bible School he asked his professor the meaning of Galatians 3:16. Reisinger said his professor seemed to get upset and dismissed the class early. Was it that his professor did not know what the verse meant or was he a Dispensationalist who knew the verse destroyed his doctrine? It is my suspicion that the latter was the truth.

Dispensationalists often cite the Abrahamic covenant as the reason God has Two Peoples with Two different Plans. Let us examine Galatians 3:16 again in order to get the Apostle Paul’s viewpoint. Paul will be our witness.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

This verse clearly states the Promise was made only to Christ, who is the One Seed. Just to make sure we have the clear meaning, Paul says the Promise did not go to the many seeds. The One to whom the Promise was made has to be singular. However, in the Dispensational view, the Promise must be to the plural “seeds”. Therefore, the words of the Apostle Paul stand in opposition to the Dispensational viewpoint in this verse.

In discussing the New Covenant with Dispensationalists, you will usually find them lumping all Israelites together, even though we know some Israelites did place their faith in Christ. Dispensationalists may also say Israel did not accept the New Covenant or the New Covenant has not taken effect yet, since Jeremiah chapter 31 refers to a covenant made with Judah and Israel. Their logic will not stand against the words of the writer of the letter to the Hebrews.

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he isthe mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
(Here the New Covenant is in the present tense.)

Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
(This gives the reason for the New Covenant.)

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
(This is taken from the promise in Jeremiah chapter 31.)

Here we have the writer of Hebrews clearly stating that Christ is “now” the mediator of a better covenant. The text following the three verses above clearly shows it to be the New Covenant from the Book of Jeremiah.

Neither will the Dispensational arguments stand up to the words of Peter on the day of Pentecost.

Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

On the day of Pentecost about 3,000 “men of Israel” of “the house of Israel” became a part of the New Blood Covenant of Christ foretold in Jeremiah chapter 31.

In the Book of Romans the Apostle Paul attempts to identify the differences between the physical seed of Abraham and the spiritual seed of Abraham. These verses make it clear the middle wall of separation between all races of people was broken down at the Cross. As a friend of mine said… “The playing field has been leveled.”

Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
(The Gentile Christians later become part of the commonwealth of Israel.)

Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Eph_2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
(The middle wall in the temple separating the Israelites from the Gentiles was broken down at Calvary. All races of people are treated the same way under the New Covenant.)

Those who continue to claim a link between God’s plan of salvation and bloodline must ignore what Paul said, in order to preserve their Dispensational doctrine.

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

In Romans chapter 9 the Apostle Paul identifies two Israels. Israel of the Flesh and Israel of the Promise.

Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
(Not all Israelites would be Israel of the promise.)

Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

In the passages above we find being a physical descendant of Abraham or Jacob does not make one a child of God. These words from Paul, who was a Jewish scholar before his conversion, stand in direct conflict with the statements coming out of the mouths of many Christians today. Sometimes we do not like what we find in scripture, especially when it conflicts with what we have believed our whole lives. It is often very difficult to say three little words… “I was wrong” , especially if you are a pastor who has been teaching a particular doctrine for many years.

Romans chapter 11 is one of the passages most often used by those promoting John Darby’s doctrine. Although much of this text was reviewed in chapter 3, it is necessary that we cover this text again and in the process compare it to the Dispensationalist’s interpretation. We will use the process of “Conflict Resolution” to find out if the Dispensational interpretation agrees with the previous writings of Paul and the other New Testament writers. If any conflict is produced, then their interpretation cannot be correct.

In order to make their doctrine work, many Dispensationalists will change one little word in Romans 11:26. Most of those promoting the doctrine have no idea who or where this change was first made. It actually goes back to the document used by Edward Irving to originate the Two Peoples of God doctrine. Since this book is now available online, it is a simple matter to verify the information being presented. Edward Irving had gained access to the Spanish version of the book “Coming of Messiah in Glory and Majesty” written by Manuel Lacunza, who was a Jesuit priest. Irving had the book translated into English and added his own commentary to Lacunza’s work before having it published in English during 1827. On page 124-125 of Irving’s commentary we find him reporting that he had taught doctrine from Lacunza’s book at the Albury Prophetic Conference held the year before.

On page 170 of the 2007 edition of his book “Dispensationalism”, Dr. Charles C. Ryrie connects John Nelson Darby to Irving and the Albury Conference.

“It was not until several years after leaving the Church of England that Darby became interested in prophecy. His interest was piqued through conferences at Albury, out of which the Irvingian movement grew.”

In 1966 Brethren Historian F. R. Coad wrote a paper detailing the origin of John Darby’s doctrine.
(http://brethrenhistory.org/qwicsitePro/php/docsview.php?docid=418)

Coad’s paper reveals that in the early years of the Plymouth Brethren movement, Benjamin Newton and John Darby worked together. Edward Irving died as a result of tuberculosis in 1834. Sometime after 1834 John Darby adopted the “Secret Rapture” doctrine of the Irvingites and divided scripture into that for the Jews and that for the Church. When Newton would not accept Darby’s new doctrine, Darby made a personal attack on Newton which split the movement into two groups.

(from pages 23 and 24 of the paper by F.R. Coad)

"Darby’s solution was to project considerable sections of the New Testament away from the Church, as applicable only to a future dispensation of the restored Jewish remnant, which the Secret Rapture adherents envisaged. This would remove all the difficulties, and those Scriptures in the Gospels and elsewhere which presented such difficulty to adherents of the new teaching were thus simply explained: they referred not to the Church at all, but to the future Jewish remnant. The solution was too facile. If Darby had hoped for Newton’s glad acceptance he was sorely disappointed. Newton saw its weakness at once:—
‘At last Darby wrote from Cork, saying he had discovered a
method of reconciling the whole dispute, and would tell me when
he came. When he did, it turned out to be the “Jewish
Interpretation”. The Gospel of Matthew was not teaching Church
Truth but Kingdom Truth, and so on. He explained it to me and I
said “Darby, if you admit that distinction you virtually give up
Christianity.” Well, they kept on at that until they worked out the
result as we know it. The Secret Rapture was bad enough, but this
was worse.’
The damage was indeed done, and for a moment dispensationalising ran riot, as Tregelles has explained in his accounts of those times. But worse resulted, for Darby, finding his teachings challenged, reacted by vigorous attacks on Newton’s position, until a form of pamphlet war developed."

Around the time of the American Civil War, Darby brought his new doctrine to America. Several decades later the doctrine was incorporated into the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible and as they say… “The rest is history.” Since that time the doctrine has spread through much of the evangelical Church in America, especially Baptist church bodies. Dallas Theological Seminary was built to promote John Darby’s doctrine as one of its main goals.

On page 349 of Lacunza’s book we find the following change to Romans 11:26.

“When this fulness hath entered in, or the time of the nations are concluded, then all Israel shall be saved.”
(bolding is mine)

Let us compare Lacunza’s words to those of the Apostle Paul.
Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

As stated in chapter 3, the Greek word translated to the English word “so” is the Greek word “houto”, which means… “in this manner”.

By switching this one word Lacunza attempted to change the meaning of the passage. He changed the word “so”, which is an adverb of manner, to the word “then”, which is an adverb of time. I have heard pastors make the same change during television broadcasts by saying… “And then all of Israel shall be saved.”

This change is necessary to produce a future time of “national salvation” for the modern descendants of Jacob. There is still just one little problem. Let us look at the next verse.

Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Which “covenant” is the covenant in Romans 11:27 and when were the sins of all people taken away? Jeremiah 31:34, John 19:30

Let us examine Romans chapter 11, again remembering as we go, all of the Apostle Paul’s previous references to two Israels… Israel of the Flesh and Israel of the Promise from Romans 9:6-8. Also, remember from Galatians 3:16, 29 the Promises to Abraham were made only to Christ and we are the seed of Abraham who inherit the promises through Christ. Then we will ask ourselves if the Apostle has become a schizophrenic and changed his mind in Romans chapter 11.

Rom 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
(Paul was an Israelite who was not cast away, because of his faith in Christ.)

Rom 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

Rom 11:3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
(This group of Israelites turned from God.)

Rom 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
(This group of Israelites remained faithful to God.)

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
(During Paul's time there was also a remnant of Israelites who believed in Christ.)

Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
(Here the Olive Tree is a symbol of those in the New Covenant. The Israelites who did not believe in Christ were the branches broken off of the Olive Tree. The Gentile branches were grafted in among the Israelites who accepted Christ, like the Apostle Paul.)

Rom 11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

Rom 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
(The branches broken off has to be a reference to the unbelieving Israelites, who were broken off because of unbelief.)

Rom 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
(These Israelites can be grafted back into the Olive Tree, through faith in Christ.)

Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

In the verse above we find two Olive Trees, one is wild and the other is cultivated. The wild tree represents the Gentile Christians, and the cultivated tree represents the Israelites who accepted Christ. At the end of the verse, we find those Israelites broken off from the tree, can be grafted back into the tree through faith.

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

There are at least two methods of interpreting verse 25. Dispensationalists would like to say “all” of the Israelites were “partially” blinded as to who the Messiah is. However, the rest of the passage conflicts with this interpretation starting at verse 1, with Paul stating he is an Israelite. Paul was not “partially” blinded, nor were the 3,000 men of “the house of Israel” who accepted Christ on the day of Pentecost.
The other option is that part of the Israelites were blinded and part of the Israelites were not blinded and accepted Christ. This fits the clear meaning found in the other verses of Romans chapter 11.

Dispensationalists also often claim the Church is the “Gentile Bride”, even though we know from this passage the early New Covenant Church was made up of Israelites and Gentiles grafted together and is still made up of both bloodlines today. Darbyists do this in order to claim the Pretribulation Rapture is the time when “the fullness of the Gentiles be come in”. There are several conflicts produced by this logic. The first is the many problems with the pretrib doctrine. One of the main purposes of the pretrib doctrine is to get the Church off the planet so that God can have a “Second Chance” with the modern descendants of Jacob. The second problem is how even Dispensationalists acknowledge some Gentiles come to faith in Christ during the tribulation period.

……………………………
Since the pretrib doctrine is an essential part of modern Dispensational Theology, we will take a quick detour here to look at the actual text most often used by Dispensationalists to prove a pretrib removal of the Church.
Will the text produce a seven year stay in heaven for the Church, before the Second Coming of Christ?

Please remember when Paul wrote this letter there were no verses or chapters in the text.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
(The phrase "sleep" in Jesus is a metaphor describing the dead in Christ.)

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
(The word "descend" means to come down.)

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

1Th 5:1 Butof the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
(The word "But" connects chapter 5 to chapter 4.)

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.(We also find the "day of the Lord" when He "comes as a thief" in 2 Peter 3:10 and Revelation 16:15, which are clearly Second Coming passages. Therefore, this verse provides the timing of the event at the end of chapter 4.)

1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

1Th 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.(It will not overtake us as a thief.)

1Th 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

1Th 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

1Th 5:7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
(Dispensationalists often claim the tribulation period is “the wrath of God”, even though the Greek words translated as “tribulation” and “wrath” are not the same, and Revelation 12:12 shows at least some of the period to be the wrath of Satan.)

1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.(The metaphor "sleep" in this verse proves that chapter 5 is connected to chapter 4.)

The verses above show the Apostle Paul gave a description of the event at the end of chapter 4 and the timing of the event in chapter 5.

No seven year stay in heaven can be found within this text. It must be imported from another passage.

Author Tim LaHaye’s fictional books and movies known as the “Left Behind” series have convinced millions of modern Christians that the Pretrib doctrine is scriptural. Look at his quote below and consider carefully which viewpoint is the oldest.

"It may come as a surprise to most pre-Trib prophecy students that the post-Trib position (in its primitive form) is the oldest point of view."

Tim LaHaye, "Rapture Under Attack", page 197, Multnomath Publishers, Inc., 1998

Now, we will return to Romans chapter 11 to finish our examination of the Dispensational interpretation of the passage.
………………………………....
Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

("so" is an adverb of manner indicated by the Greek. It is not an adverb of time.)

G3779
οὕτω
houtō
hoo'-to
Or, before a vowel, οὕτως houtōs hoo'-toce.
From G3778; in this way(referring to what precedes or follows): - after that, after (in) this manner, as, even (so), for all that, like (-wise), no more, on this fashion (-wise), so (in like manner), thus, what.
This could also be written,And in this manner all Israel shall be saved…” which refers back to verse 23. They can be grafted back in through Faith in Christ.The ESV translation is very similar to the above.

The descendants of Jacob can only be grafted back into faithful Israel by faith in Christ. This is the "so", manner of their salvation by grafting them back into the Olive Tree at Romans 11:23.

Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

This has to be the New Covenant foretold in Jer. 31:31-34, and spoken by the words of Christ at Matt. 26:28. It is also found at Hebrews 8:6-13, 12:24, 13:20. It is “now” in effect, based on Heb. 8:6 and is “everlasting” at Hebrews 13:20. Christ took away the sins of all bloodlines of people at the Cross of Calvary. If this covenant is already in effect, instead of waiting on a future fulfillment, the Dispensational viewpoint of the passage cannot be correct.

We also have to remember Paul clearly teaches in the passage that those in faith must be grafted into the Olive Tree. The passage provides no path of salvation for those broken off of the Olive Tree. We know limbs broken off of a tree wither and die without regrafting.

Rom 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

I have heard the following question asked by Dispensationalists in regard to Romans 11:28.

How can “they” be enemies of the Gospel and elect at the same time?
The logical answer is… They cannot. In order to prevent conflict with the rest of the passage, this verse must include two groups of Israelites.
Paul started Romans chapter 11 with two groups of Israelites, those who bowed to Baal and the remnant of Israelites who would not. In this verse we also have two groups. There were those blinded to who was the Messiah and were broken off of the Olive Tree. Paul constantly battled these Israelites, who were enemies of the Gospel. There was also another group of Israelites, who like him, were the “election” by accepting Jesus as their Messiah and remained in the Olive Tree. The Gentiles were grafted in among the election of Israelites.

We would all like to see the entire modern nation of Israel come to faith in Christ. However, the Dispensationalist’s plan for a future “national salvation” of the descendants of Jacob outside of the New Covenant Church, cannot be found in Romans chapter 11.

The Olive Tree, is a symbol of those in the New Covenant and according to the words of the Apostle Paul in Romans 11, salvation only comes through being grafted into the Olive Tree. The modern Church needs to share the Gospel message with the modern descendants of Israel based on this passage.

In my humble opinion, the greatest error of modern Dispensational Theology is the idea that the “Church Age” will end seven years before the Second Coming of Christ. It is the one thing about the doctrine that should concern all of us, as members of the New Covenant Church.

John Darby’s doctrine claims there will be a future seven year time period, when people will come to salvation outside of the New Covenant Church. This time period is to begin at the Pretribulation rapture of the Church and is commonly called Daniel’s 70th week. This future 70th week is produced by adding a manmade “gap” to Daniel chapter 9, not mentioned by the angel Gabriel. In this process they have also added an antichrist not found in the chapter and insist the “covenant” with the “many” in Daniel 9:27 is a treaty made by the antichrist, instead of the “covenant” with the “many” in Matthew 26:28.

The Dispensational interpretation also ignores any period of time during the first century when the Gospel was taken to Daniel’s people. It is commonly held that the ministry of Christ on earth was about 3 ½ years, which is half a week of years. We also know the early Church was almost completely Jewish.

In Daniel 9:25, we find the Messiah would be “cut off” (killed) after the 69 weeks. If I agree to paint your house “after” 69 days, it will not be painted until the 70th day or later.

Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

If Christ was “cut off” after the 69 weeks was finished, it had to be during the 70th week of years.

We find in Daniel 9:24 a summary of things to be accomplished during the 70 weeks.

Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

One of the key events in the verse above is the anointing. Jesus of Nazareth was anointed by His Father from heaven when His cousin John the Baptist placed Him in the waters of the Jordan River.

Luk 3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
Luk 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

This most likely was the beginning of the 70th week, which continued until the time Stephen reviewed the whole history of the nation of Israel before he was stoned. This would be a seven year time period when the Gospel was taken to Daniel’s people. It was no accident Paul was there that day, since he would be the one chosen by Christ to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

If we compare the notes at Daniel 9:27 found in the 1599 Geneva Bible to what we find in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible, we see the Scofield interpretation substitutes a future treaty made by an antichrist, in place of the New Covenant already foretold in Jeremiah 31:31-34. This is accomplished by adding a “gap” not mentioned by the angel Gabriel and by inserting an antichrist not found in the chapter. This interpretation also has the angel Gabriel “forgetting” to mention the New Covenant found in Jeremiah chapter 31. We know it would be the Blood of the Messiah that would confirm the New Covenant and the focus of Daniel chapter 9 is the Messiah. The Dispensational interpretation has hidden the New Blood Covenant of the Messiah from millions of modern Christians, who have never been shown there is another interpretation. The most logical interpretation, based on the text is that the “covenant” with “many” in Daniel 9:27 is the same “covenant” with “many” in Matthew 26:28, which is clearly the New Blood Covenant.

Classic Dispensationalists believe God will again go back to dealing with the modern nation of Israel after the end of the “Church Age”. They claim the Church is a “parenthesis” in God’s dealings with the nation of Israel.

Lewis Sperry Chafer, the first president of Dallas Theological, had the following to say about the difference between Israel and the Church.

“The dispensationalist believes that throughout the ages God is pursuing two distinct purposes: one related to the earth with earthly people and earthly objectives involved which is Judaism; while the other is related to heaven with heavenly people and heavenly objectives involved, which is Christianity.”
Lewis Sperry Chafer, Dispensationalism (Dallas, Seminary Press, 1936), p. 107.

Chafer states that, ‘Israel is an eternal nation, heir to an eternal land, with an eternal kingdom, on which David rules from an eternal throne,’ that is, on earth and distinct from the church who will be in heaven.”
Lewis Sperry Chafer. Systematic Theology. 1975. Vol. IV. pp. 315-323.

John Walvoord, another prominent voice of Dallas Theological stated…

"...it is an article of normative dispensational belief that the boundaries of the land promised to Abraham and his descendants from the Nile to the Euphrates will be literally instituted and that Jesus Christ will return to a literal and theocratic Jewish kingdom centred on a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem. In such a scheme the Church on earth is relegated to the status of a parenthesis.”
John F. Walvoord, The Rapture Question.1979, p. 25

There are numerous conflicts with other passages of scripture produced by John Darby’s Two People of God / Two Kingdoms of God doctrine. Many of the older classic Dispensationalists claim the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God are not the same. However, a parallel study of the Gospels reveals the error of this logic.

Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mar 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Mat 11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven
suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

Luk 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Mat 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Luk 9:2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.

Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

We will now turn back to the New Blood Covenant.

Hebrews 13:20 says the New Blood Covenant of Christ is “everlasting”.

A verse from Hebrews chapter 12 proves this is the New Covenant.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the bloodof sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Therefore, the “Age of Grace” will not end before the Second Coming of Christ. The other major problem for Dispensationalists is the fact that not one passage in the New Testament clearly shows there will be a future time period when people will come to salvation outside of the Church.

A verse in the Book of Revelation exposes an “Achilles Heel” of John Darby’s doctrine, once one comes to understand the New Covenant. Dispensationalists claim members of the Church are not present during the tribulation period, even though the New Blood Covenant is “everlasting” in Hebrews 13:20.

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

A person cannot be under the Blood of the Lamb and not be under the Grace of the New Blood Covenant. The claim that believers during the tribulation period are not members of the New Blood Covenant Church of Jesus Christ has just been shown to be in conflict, by this one verse.

Instead of placing our hope in a future seven year period of time when the modern nation of Israel will come to faith in Christ, we need to do everything in our power to make sure they hear the Gospel now. Sadly, many leaders of the modern evangelical Church act as if the modern Jews are still somehow under the Old Covenant. At least one modern televangelist has stated this as a fact and has promoted the idea of “Dual Covenant Theology”. This doctrine is not to be found within the pages of the New Testament. However, in some ways “Dual Covenant Theology” is a natural consequence of many of the teachings found in the “Two People of God” doctrine of modern Dispensational Theology. Hebrews 8:13 kills “Dual Covenant Theology” by showing the New Covenant has made the Sinai Covenant “obsolete”.

Dispensationalists also often use the following verse from the Old Testament and claim a large number of modern Jews will come to salvation on the day of Christ’s Second Coming.

Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn

This interpretation seems to stand in conflict with the parable of the virgins in Matthew chapter 25. Jesus said the virgins must be prepared before the Bridegroom arrives.

Mat 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mat 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

On the day of Pentecost, some of the Jews present that day had called for Jesus to be crucified a few weeks earlier. Also, the Spirit was poured out upon some of those present on the day of Pentecost.

Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

In 2nd Thessalonians chapter 1, we find Christ returning in Flaming Fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God.

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

2Th 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

We also need to remember the John 5:27-30 bodily resurrection of all the dead, when all will be judged by Christ, including those who pierced Him.

Joh 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
(The “quick” are those who are alive.)

The sheep and goat judgment from Matthew chapter 25 should also be considered in the context of this issue.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

We need to ask… Does the Dispensational interpretation of Zechariah 12:10 have Christ rebuilding the “middle-wall of separation” and becoming a “respecter of persons” by making salvation dependent on bloodline, during the day of His Second Coming?

Conflict in scripture must be considered within any end-time doctrine. Since these events lie in the future, “conflict resolution” must be one of our key guides in understanding the relative timing of these events.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Dispensationalists have most often been those willing to go into the deepest and darkest jungles of the world to spread the Gospel to lost people. I personally know one missionary who was speared while attempting to evangelize native peoples in South America. He was later told by his doctor if the spear had deviated in any direction, he would have been a dead man. After his recovery, this missionary went back to the same people who tried to kill him, and later saw the man who wielded the spear come to faith in Christ. We should all strive for his passion to reach the lost.

We must ask ourselves the following question…

Is there now any difference between a naked native living in the Amazon rain forest, and a modern descendant of Jacob living in the modern nation of Israel?

Based on the words of the New Testament, they both need Christ for the same reason and in the same way.

Do we find Two separate Peoples of God with Two separate Plans in the words of Christ, found below?

Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

The modern Church must keep our focus on the Gospel, instead of manmade doctrines. The only way to get into the fold above is by being “Born Again” through faith in Christ. It cannot come from immersion in water, and all bloodlines of people now come into the fold in the same way. According to Hebrews 13:20, the New Blood Covenant is “everlasting”. The Blood-bought Grace of the Lamb will not end before the Second Coming of Christ based on Revelation 12:11.

Since we have identified how both Reformed Covenant Theology and modern Dispensational Theology have deviated from the text of the New Testament, what can we do about it? We find the Apostle Paul describing the Church as a Body in the Book of Corinthians.

Rom_12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

The human body is made up of organs with each having a role in keeping the body as a whole working correctly. When one organ begins working incorrectly the whole body is often effected. God’s Word reveals the New Blood Covenant of Jesus Christ as God’s Plan of salvation starting in Genesis 3:15. An interpretation of scripture which deviates from this purpose causes confusion within the organs of the Body, and therefore keeps the Body from working at its full potential.

Many times when our body is not working correctly, we seek the help of a physician.

Jesus Christ is the great physician. He wrote the whole Bible. (John 1:1,14).

The one unchanging purpose of the Bible is the revealing of how God’s own Son would bless all the families of the earth through His sacrifice on the Cross. He is the only One who can heal us.

Isa_53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Many times a physician will order an MRI or a CAT scan to look for abnormalities within the body. In many ways, that has been the purpose of this chapter.

In our examination of Reformed Covenant and Dispensational Theology we simply compared their doctrines to the Word of God. There is no doubt manmade interpretations of scripture have misapplied, hidden, and ignored the treasure of the New Covenant. In this regard, we have only acted as the technician responsible for doing the Body scan. The report on this scan is now complete and we have turned the findings over to the patient.

The patient now has to take some corrective action in order to restore the Body to full function.

If the patient ignores the report, then the ailment will continue to impede Body function and may eventually lead to even more
damage.

Lacunza, Manuel, “Coming of Messiah in Glory and Majesty“
http://www.regal-network.com/dispensationalism/pdfs.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the book “Dispensationalism” by Dr. Charles C. Ryrie, one of the keys to modern Dispensational Theology is the distinction between Israel and the Church. Clearance Larkin was one of the old time classic Dispensationalists who used to add to it… “And never the twain shall meet.” As we shall see later, he and others adopted the belief that the kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven are not the same. They also said the Jews are God’s eternal earthly people, while the Church is God’s eternal heavenly people.

Distinction between Israel and the church is a key to dispensationalism. At the same time dispensationalism has never been a static tradition. So it is an error to mash Ryrie, Larkin, Darby and Walvoord all together and think they all held to the same beliefs across the board.

Many classical dispensationalists held to two separate peoples with two destinies, heavenly and earthly.
Later dispensationalists - such as Ryrie and Walvoord - hold to a distinction between Israel and the church. The eternal destiny for both are the same.

Ryrie does not believe that the kingdom of God/Heaven are different. He believes they are the same. Most dispensationalists today believe they are the same.

You will also often hear Dispensationalists say the Gospels were written for the Jews, while the Epistles were written for the Church. Many will call this “Rightly Dividing the Word”, which they take from 2nd Timothy chapter 2.

No, that isn't true. The Dallas Theological Seminary doctrinal statement says:
"We believe that all the Scriptures center about the Lord Jesus Christ in His person and work in His first and second coming, and hence that no portion, even of the Old Testament, is properly read, or understood, until it leads to Him. We also believe that all the Scriptures were designed for our practical instruction."

Since we have identified how both Reformed Covenant Theology and modern Dispensational Theology have deviated from the text of the New Testament, what can we do about it?

The long post didn't address Reformed Covenant Theology "deviations." The criticisms of dispensationalism show a shallow understanding of it along with inaccuracies and misinformed conclusions.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The long post didn't address Reformed Covenant Theology "deviations." The criticisms of dispensationalism show a shallow understanding of it along with inaccuracies and misinformed conclusions.

Here it is.

Covenant Confusion from the Doctrines of Men:

When a Christian attempts to make God’s Word fit into a manmade system of interpretation, sometimes it is like hammering a square peg into a round hole of the same diameter. Some damage is going to occur. In this case, the damage is to the scripture that connects every verse to every other verse, in order to reveal the one unchanging Plan of God to save mankind through the precious Gospel of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Even though the Bible is made up of 66 books, with 40 or so different human recorders, it is like a beautiful tapestry where each verse represents a thread. Every verse is entwined with other verses and reinforces the fabric as a whole. The tapestry has two sides. One is the shadow which reveals the perfection of the other side. If we view just one verse we may not see the big picture. However, if we take the time to stand back and view the tapestry as a whole, we see a picture of the Son of God, who bought us with His Blood. If we must remove even one of the threads to make our doctrine work, then we have damaged what was once perfection and we have weakened the precious tapestry given to us as the Word of God.

How does one go about discussing this subject, knowing that toes are going to be stepped on? Maybe the best thing would be to apologize in advance and pray to remain in fellowship with all my Brothers and Sisters in Christ. I believe it is always of benefit to the Body to speak the truth in love. If we notice that our child seemed to be suffering from a disease, would we not do everything in our power to identify the problem and then do everything necessary to correct the problem?

And so it is with the Church of Jesus Christ. Anyone who has eyes to see cannot help but notice that our Body is seriously ill. During my lifetime the illness has gotten worse. It is as if different organs of the body are attacking each other instead of working together to make this One Body function as it is supposed to work. Some have now clearly seen that there is a problem, while others declare, “Everything is just fine. Do not bother me. This is the way things are supposed to be.” Some are in that river in Egypt up to their eyeballs, but cannot bring themselves to see it. They are in “Denial”.

Often, a physician recommends a complete examination of the patient in order to identify the cause of the ailment. The patient must be willing to be poked and prodded. Unless the patient is willing to undergo this examination, the sickness will no doubt continue. This procedure may make us uncomfortable at times, but is indeed necessary.

Let me say that godly men have come from various systems of interpretation. Two of my favorites are Dr. James Kennedy and Dr. Adrian Rogers. Both of these men have inspired me. Both of them have now gone to be with the Lord. It is my belief if both of them could speak to us from beyond the grave, they would tell us to use God’s Word as our guide, instead of their words.

I have dear personal friends brought up in the tradition of Reformed Covenant Theology and I have other friends brought up in Dispensational church bodies. I have struggled in writing this chapter knowing those I love may have their feelings hurt when they read this chapter. And no, it is not my purpose to offend all of my friends, at the same time.

Here is a question to help you understand my predicament in writing this chapter.

Should your dear friend be offended if you noticed a nail stuck in the tire of his shiny new car? Would you ignore the nail for fear that your friend might get their feelings hurt?

The evangelical Church in America has divided itself mainly into two opposing camps of Bible interpretation.

The first is Reformed Covenant Theology, which is about 400 years old and uses the Westminster Confession of Faith as its guide to the interpretation of scripture. The Confession of Faith used by Reformed Baptists has made changes related to baptism, but otherwise is very similar to the Westminster Confession. The Reformed Covenant system came mainly out of the Protestant Reformation efforts of Martin Luther, John Calvin, and others. The Reformers were being “Bereans” when they had the courage to stand up against the corruption of scripture by the Papacy. Many of them were faithful to the death, some even being burned at the stake. Many today equate the term “Calvinism” with Reformed Covenant Theology. However, no system is without those of differing opinions.

The second major system of interpretation is Dispensational Theology, which is less than 200 years old and is found in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible. There are those who have modified the older classic form of Dispensationalism into something now called “Mid-Acts Dispensationalism”. If you hear a speaker constantly using the phrase… “our Apostle Paul” you are most likely listening to someone of this system. There are also those like Dr. Darrel Bock who have made some changes to the older form of the doctrine and have used the term “Progressive Dispensationalism”, for the newer version. However, the focus of the system continues to be the Two Peoples of God distinctions between Israel and the Church.

Many of those sitting in the pews of modern Dispensational church bodies have no idea that John Nelson Darby brought this doctrine to America, about the time of the Civil War. Very few of those preaching the doctrine from the pulpit know of the link between Darby and Edward Irving. Only a tiny number of those understand the link between Irving and the book “Coming of Messiah in Glory and Majesty“, written by Manuel Lacunza. Those connections will be shown later.

Pastor John G. Reisinger’s book “Abraham’s Four Seeds” has a subtitle at the bottom of the front cover. It is “A Biblical Examination of the Presuppositions of Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism”. Pastor Reisinger compares what is written in the text of God’s Word to what is promoted by these two major schools of interpretation. He is not doing this to disparage or condemn our Brothers and Sisters in Christ, who hold to these systems. Instead, he is simply being a Berean in an effort to promote the faith by asking that corrections be made to any doctrine that does not agree with what is written in scripture. I would highly recommend Reisinger’s book to anyone attempting to understand the original doctrine taught by the Apostles of Christ.

This book will also examine some aspects of these two systems of interpretation, by comparing them to what is plainly written in God’s Word. While I was a classroom teacher in the public schools, teachers were asked to constantly examine what we were doing in an attempt to improve upon our instruction. Many times changes were made, if problems were discovered. This methodology should also be applied to the Church. We should constantly examine our doctrine to determine if it has strayed from the teachings of the Apostles. If it has, then corrections should be made. However, this may be easier said, than done.

The New Testament writers will be the main witnesses called to testify to the original doctrine of the New Covenant Church of Christ. Any deviation from their words cannot be ignored. Even Christians are creatures of habit. We tend to interpret scripture through the same eyes as our fellow Brothers and Sisters, who have influenced us during our time growing up in the faith. Some would consider it “rude” to disagree with an interpretation coming from one’s Sunday School teacher or the pulpit of their church. However, if we are going to be Bereans we must be willing to question any doctrine which does not agree with the original teachings of the Apostles. This should be done in a loving, firm, but non-confrontational way. When someone comes up with a foolproof method of accomplishing this goal, please let me know.

There was an occasion when I presented documentation to the deacon board of my church body on the history of modern Dispensational Theology. The next week, while in the sanctuary of the church, a man who was my Brother in Christ and my friend, spoke to me like a dog who had wet the carpet and knew better. I hold no grudge against this man and since that time we have eaten lunch together. However, I avoid the topic of eschatology during our conversations, because I have learned it can be one of the most divisive topics among some Christians. The research presented to the deacon board is now available on YouTube and is titled “Genesis of Dispensational Theology”.

The doctrines of both Reformed Covenant Theology and Dispensational Theology produce tremendous conflict with the words of the Apostle Paul in Galatians chapter 3. Let us examine the conflicts based on scripture , in an attempt to see how both systems of interpretation have taken the focus off of the New Covenant.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Verse 16 clearly shows the promises made to Abraham were made to only One Seed, which is Christ. The Apostle also makes it clear the promises were not made to more than one seed.

This verse causes severe problems for Dispensationalists who claim the promises to Abraham were made to the children of Israel, which would be many seeds, instead of the One Seed. How do most Dispensationalists deal with this verse? They must ignore it to get their doctrine to work.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Verse 17 clearly states the Sinai Covenant was added 430 years “after” the promise to Abraham and it cannot change the promise made to Abraham.

This verse is a tremendous problem for advocates of Reformed Covenant Theology, based on Chapter 19 of the Westminster Confession of Faith. This section of the Confession applies the 10 commandments to Adam, before the fall.

You can find below in Sections I. and II. of chapter 19, text stating the law given at Mount Sinai was the same covenant of works given to Adam.
……………………………….................................................................................
Westminster Confession of Faith
Chapter XIX
Of the Law of God

I. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which He bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.
II. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables: the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man.
III. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, His graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties. All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament.
IV. To them also, as a body politic, He gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the State of that people; not obliging under any now, further than the general equity thereof may require.
V. The moral law does forever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof; and that, not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it. Neither does Christ, in the Gospel, any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.
VI. Although true believers be not under the law, as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified, or condemned; yet is it of great use to them, as well as to others; in that, as a rule of life informing them of the will of God, and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their nature, hearts and lives; so as, examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against sin, together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ, and the perfection of His obedience. It is likewise of use to the regenerate, to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin: and the threatenings of it serve to show what even their sins deserve; and what afflictions, in this life, they may expect for them, although freed from the curse thereof threatened in the law. The promises of it, in like manner, show them God's approbation of obedience, and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof: although not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works. So as, a man's doing good, and refraining from evil, because the law encourages to the one and deters from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law: and not under grace.
VII. Neither are the fore mentioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it; the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely, and cheerfully, which the will of God, revealed in the law, requires to be done.
(emphasis is mine by bold text)
from www.reformed.org/documents
……………………………….................................................................................
There is also the problem of Adam and Eve not being able to understand the concept of adultery or being able to honor their father and mother, since they had no mother. How do those of Reformed Covenant Theology deal with this verse? They must ignore it to get their doctrine to work.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Here we find the Sinai Covenant was added because of transgressions, until the seed could come to whom the promises were made. We know that Seed was Jesus Christ. He did come about 2,000 years ago. This verse again stands in conflict to chapter 19 of the Westminster Confession of Faith’s claim that the 10 commandments also applied to Adam, before the Fall. One of the ways Reformed Covenant theologians tend to deal with this problem is to separate the Moral Law (10 Commandments) from the 600 plus Ceremonial Laws, which explain and interpret the 10 commandments. The problem for them is that this separation is not found in scripture.

Exo_34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
(The ten commandments are the covenant.)

Reformed Covenant theologians sometimes claim Adam and Abraham were also given the commandments, in an attempt to make their doctrine work. If these were all the same commandments, then the Apostle Paul is very confused in Galatians chapters 3 and 4. Adam was given a commandment… Do not eat of… Abraham was given a commandment… Circumcise your male offspring. The children of Israel were given a commandment at Mount Sinai… Keep the Sabbath.

The question now becomes… What becomes of the Sinai Covenant, since the Seed has come? Based on Hebrews 8:13, it was made “obsolete” by the New Covenant. Reformed Covenant theologians also have a habit of thundering the 4th commandment, which is the Sabbath Commandment, from the pulpit. We will deal with the Sabbath more completely in chapter 6 of this book.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Verse 29 is tied back to verse 16. We inherit the promise made to Abraham through Christ. Therefore, Christians are the seed of Abraham. Some are quick to say this refers to spiritual seed and not physical seed. We would agree and ask if there is any advantage to being a physical seed of Abraham, while not being a spiritual seed of Abraham, through Christ? (Romans 9:6-8)

Therefore, it is the New Blood Covenant of Christ, which allows one to inherit the Abrahamic Promise, instead of being from a particular bloodline as suggested by Dispensationalists.

We might expect those of Reformed Covenant Theology or Dispensational Theology to be willing to change their doctrine to make it agree with the scripture from Galatians chapter 3. However, for some this is extremely difficult, especially for those who have held to the doctrine for many years. I have often wondered how a pastor, who has taught a doctrine for 30 years, can get up the courage to admit he has been wrong for all that time. However, I am sure it has happened many times.

Let us look again at Galatians chapter 4 to see the Apostle Paul’s opinion of the Sinai covenant.

Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
(Here Paul compares the Sinai covenant to slavery.)

Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
(Here again the Sinai covenant is compared to slavery.)

Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
(The New Jerusalem, which is now in heaven (Hebrews 11:16) is our destiny, instead of the earthly Jerusalem.)

Gal 4:27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
(Here the Apostle Paul clearly states we are to “cast out” the Sinai covenant and the inheritance does not come through the Sinai covenant,)

Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
(We are the children of the New Covenant instead of the Sinai covenant of bondage.)

Reformed Covenant theologians have somehow taken baptism, which is supposed to be the sign of believers in the New Covenant, and somehow mixed in infant circumcision in the Abrahamic covenant, to get infant baptism in Reformed Covenant Theology. While there is clear text in the New Testament showing baptism of believers after the day of Pentecost, there is no clear text which shows the baptism of infants. Some insist there is no link between regeneration and infant baptism, but others obviously do, based on the next paragraph.

A lady I know shared the story of how she and her husband were advised they should have their dying baby baptized, by members of their Lutheran church body. Apparently those giving the advice linked baptism to salvation. However, I am in no way implying this belief is universal among Lutherans or Reformed Covenant Theologians. This story does highlight the confusion over the practice of infant baptism. Much of this confusion may come from the claim that the New Covenant is a “New Administration” of the Sinai covenant.

We will deal with New Covenant baptism in chapter 8 of this book.
Those promoting Reformed Covenant Theology tend to view the New Covenant as not really something “new”, but as a “new administration” of the 10 commandments.

They have applied the 10 commandments to Adam before the fall and have also ignored the Apostle Paul’s clear admonition that we are to “cast out” the Sinai covenant of bondage. This interpretation produces a tremendous conflict in scripture and hides the true meaning and purpose of the New Blood Covenant of Jesus Christ.

We have to remember those brave souls who led the Protestant Reformation were immersed in the system of the Papacy. They attempted to correct many of the obvious problems with the traditions of the Catholic Church by using the mantra of “Sola Scriptura” (Scripture Alone). We also have to remember over 1,000 years had passed since the time of the Apostles of Christ. In many ways this time period was the “dark age” of scriptural interpretation.

During that period tremendous struggles for power had occurred within the Catholic Church. The Papal system operated as an autocratic system where various interpretations of scripture were not allowed. It is no wonder some of the original teachings of the Apostles were lost during this time.

Therefore, in many ways the Reformers were attempting to understand the scriptures, without the help of a previous generation of Bible scholars. The Reformers attempted to come out of the Papal church, but in some ways still retained teachings of the Catholic Church they were immersed in. Infant baptism was continued by many of the Papacy’s lost daughters, as many of the Reformation’s new denominations came to be called by some. The confusion of the Old Covenant and the New Covenant was also retained by many of the Reformed churches.

At the present time there is a concerted effort underway by the Papacy to reestablish ties with modern Protestant denominations. It seems that in some ways the Catholic Church is attempting to regain the “ lost daughters” of the Reformation.

This modern ecumenical movement is not likely to lessen the present state of covenant confusion.

There are two other groups which place an emphasis on Sabbath keeping and the other 10 commandments. The Seventh Day Adventist movement and the modern Hebrew Roots movement should also consider this chapter in an effort to find out if their teachings match up to the text of the New Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
<staff edit>You will never understand dispensationalism unless you are a dispensationalist. And, it takes one to know one. We dispensationalists can see the errors in everything you say, at least when it opposes any aspect of dispensationalism.

Also, I know of no mid-Acts dispensationalist, or higher, that is really that interested in the history of dispensationalism. Who cares? We all know a lot it, but we all know it's not important. Darby is just a name in history. If he had written anything valuable to the subject of advanced dispensationalism, I'm sure I would have his writings. Most of your interest seems to be Acts 2 dispensationalism. You have never attempted to get into mid-Acts or Acts 28. You are looked at by the dispensationalists as a fool now, but you would really appear as a fool if you tried to attack what they believe. You don't appear to have the eyes to see or ears to hear the higher levels of dispensationalism.<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will never understand dispensationalism unless you are a dispensationalist. And, it takes one to know one. We dispensationalists can see the errors in everything you say, at least when it opposes any aspect of dispensationalism.

Jerry Johnson used to be a Dispensationalist.
Maybe he understands the doctrine better than I do, based on your logic above.
Lets see what he has to say about the doctrine, since "it takes one to know one".

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your POST TRIB whether you know it or not BY DEFAULT your replacment theology .If Christ returns after the 70th week then the Church must replace Israel not scriptual is return is imminenet. titus 2:13 KJV

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

appearing
G2015

ἐπιφάνεια

epiphaneia

ep-if-an'-i-ah

From G2016; a manifestation, that is, (specifically) the advent of Christ (past or future): - appearing, brightness.

Mat_21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

1Pe_2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

1Jn_2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

Upvote 0