Is putting your dog to sleep moral?

christianbeginning

Sep 28, 2003
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
Hi - I am a new member and have a need to ask this question - it's bothering me profoundly and need some Christian guidance. Is it moral and ethical and ok if you are a Christian to put your dog to sleep? It pains me tremendously - she was part of my family and it just hurts so much that she is gone. Was it ok for her to be put to sleep? She was so sick but I need some guidance. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I am so sad I don;t know what else to do.

hotarugari

"catching fireflies"
Sep 19, 2003
Panama City
✟333.00
Faith
Christian
You, know to me it really is somewhat parallel to the question about pulling life support for people.

I believe that if you feel the situation has gotten to a pretty grieviously low point in thier life and there is 5% or less chance of recovery (or even if it's going to be super expensive and only allow a very short amount of time) then really it is time.

Once it's time, it's hard to argue it. It's hard to argue for longer life if the quality is not going to be there also.

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Although we may have strong feelings for our pets, they are not human.
The only time killing or harming animals would be immoral is if it is out of anger or rage. Even then, its not the feelings towards the animal which is immoral - its merely the welling up of rage and anger inside ourselves which is immoral.

-A

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
I never understood how people could say that it is okay to hurt animals because they are not human. To me it would only be a slight extension to say, it is okay to hurt others because they are not me.

I think putting down a dog is alright, frankly it is more humane than some of the things we subject or fellow people to. Heck they can even be the ones to initiate the idea of euthanasia and they still can't get their wish.

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
My aunt has had 3 dogs in the past 6 years. Two of them were very nice (a beagle and a doberman mix)... I was very attached to them. One got killed by a car... but ther other was put to sleep because they didn't want him anymore.

There was nothing wrong with him. He was a friendly, loving dog. :cry:

Upvote 0

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
revolutio said:
I never understood how people could say that it is okay to hurt animals because they are not human. To me it would only be a slight extension to say, it is okay to hurt others because they are not me.

I think putting down a dog is alright, frankly it is more humane than some of the things we subject or fellow people to. Heck they can even be the ones to initiate the idea of euthanasia and they still can't get their wish.
Are you a vegetarian?

It is not okay to hurt others (humans) because it is against God's command: "Love one another".

It is definitely acceptable to kill other animals and plantlife for our necessity.

We need to "kill" other animals and plants to for sustinence. Does killing them "hurt" them - I suppose it does.

Being unnecessarily cruel to animals is another story.

-A

Upvote 0

roadie432002

Jesus is Lord
Sep 22, 2003
kentucky
Visit site
✟285.00
Faith
Protestant
animals do have a soul,which is the life of the body.but they do not have a spirit which is our link to God and is eternal.the soul dies when the body dies.we are to protect animals from abuse and suffering.it is an act of kindness to relieve our pets from physical suffering if there is no chance of recovery.since animals do not have an eternal spirit it is not immoral to end their suffering but an act of love to have them put to sleep.

Upvote 0

Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
christianbeginning, I believe that it is sometimes okay to put down an old, suffering animal who has lived a full life and can't be helped again. My 20 yo cat had a stroke that left her immobalized. I had her put to sleep that afternoon. The alternative was to let her slowly die in pain, unable to lift her body out of her own feces or drink water on her own. Although I miss her horribly, I don't have any doubts about what I did.

I'm sorry you are hurting so much. We do become so attached to our animals, and these decisions can be very hard.

I think the best thing you can do now is recognize that you made the best choice you could at the time, forgive yourself, and move on without feeling guilt or recriminiation. Everyday we all face situations where we just do the best we can with what we have -- and thats what you did that with your pet. Its probably time to grieve and work toward moving on, but I don't think you need to add to guilt to your grief at this point. I know that you made your choice out of love for your dog, and that counts for a lot.

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes you have to make hard choices. If I were in a position where I was going to die a slow, unavoidable, painful death I'd hope somebody would be merciful enough to finish me off.

It's one of those situations where there is no happy ending no matter what you do. You can either let the fatally injured suffer until they die or humanely end their suffering in the best way possible. Granted if they say they want to live then you can't outright kill them, but in cases where the person can't communicate or is an animal somebody else with legal authority to decide for that person has to make the decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If the animals was suffering or ill to the point that it would not recover, then it is better to spare them pain then to force them to drag on. That's only if they are close to death and in great pain.

I'm sorry for your personal loss. My cat Lynx is 14 now and all beat up...looks like something from 'Pet Semetary'..but I'll never put him to sleep because he spirit is so strong. He's tough. I have had another pet put to sleep by the vet though; he had feline leukemia and was suffering terribly. I think that was the right thing to do.

I did used to work at the Humane Society and had to hold the animals while the vet put them down. They were pet and held and spoken to, and fell asleep in the holders lap being petted and sung to. No pain, no crying out and no more suffering. It's a better way for old or sick animals to go then lingering on in pain.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
tcampen said:
Funny how we treat animimals more humanely that people sometimes.
Namaste tcampen,

actually, i don't think it's all that mysterious, though i do find it rahter saddening.

in our day to day existence, we normally categorize people into three groups... those that we care about and love (our team), those whom we have no positive or negative feelings (strangers, that may join our team) and those with whom we have negative feelings (the other team).

for members of our team, we usually like them and have no problem.. even so, we can be hurt by them and they can "change" teams very quickly.... and this is always in the back of our mind... bubbling around back there...

for strangers... there is both an anticipation that they may join our team, thus strengthening it and there is trepidation that they may join the other team strengthening them and hurting us more.

for members of the other team, there is revulsion and anger or rage at the hurt that they have previously inflicted, and unlike the other two groups, it's nearly unheard of for someone on the other team to join our team.

animals.. however... have no team. they don't hurt or threaten or cajole or extort or humiliate or tease. they are, in a very real sense, more capable of receiving our love than many humans are. they don't have any silly expectations or demands... they need, food, water, attention and a place to go poop.... give them those things, and that's one happy pet... and they'll love you unconditionally.. despite one's scars or deformaties or speech impediments.

in regards to the OP... i found a kitten in the aftermath of Hurricane Isable, a pretty little black kitty... she had a broken pelvis and was FL positive.... i had to have her put down.

fortunately for me, my tradition has things that we can do to help dying pets and to influence their rebirth in a positive way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Evening Mist said:
Yikes! Thats a really cynical and competetive way of viewing social interactions! Not everyone sees things in black and white like that. Many of us are loaded down with aquaintances toward whom we feel a great deal of ambivilance.
Namaste,

those would be the middle group of indivduals in which we have an anticipation of them being on our team but a fear of them being on the other.

Upvote 0

Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
Oh. Well, I don't think I'm on a team . I think I'm probably a bizarre and annoying distraction, running around in a random and interfering fashion, trying my hardest to organize a dance in place of the ongoing athletic event. (No wonder I keep getting smacked in the head with those darn pucks!)

Upvote 0

foolsparade

Jul 12, 2002
Pennsyl-tucky
✟2,584.00
Faith
Atheist
Christianbeginning, this is the jungle, so you will get opinions from those who are totally depraved and not fearing of any God. I know exactly how you feel. The answer is simple. We have pets because they give us enjoyment. They make us feel, they make us love. Our duty then should be to insure that they live the best and most pleasant life that we can give. There will come a time when this boat will captizes. They no-longer live in pleasure but pain. This may not be a "moral" choice, but we shouldn't prolong the suffering of a living being simply for our benefit. I know it's hard, I have had pets my entire life and currently have two dogs, two cats. One of my dogs is very special, he is a pug. I dread the day when he will go away. So I make sure that his life is so awesome! :)

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Funny how we treat animimals more humanely that people sometimes.
Animals don't beat people up, discriminate, act racist or homophobic, insult us, break up with us or let greed interfere with their love for us. I know I love animals more then people...animals are innocents. People aren't.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Christianbeginning,

You did the right thing. A lot of people let their dogs live in pain because they just can't bear to let them go.

What you did was painful for you, I know, but it was the most loving thing you could have done under the circumstances.

Mike

Upvote 0