Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Billie Bob's (Mis) Fortune
by Steve McVicker
Houston Press

Less than two years after Billie Bob Harrell Jr. took the $31 million lottery jackpot, he took his own life Harrell, a former Pentecostal preacher, was a Home Depot stocker when he hit the jackpot.

Many have the same dream: finding the six magical numbers that unlock the treasure known as the Texas Lottery. Then life would be good. Problems would vanish. There are even the collective fantasies of what to buy and with whom to share this new, instant wealth.

Billie Bob Harrell Jr. shared those common visions by common souls seeking the salvation of sudden fortune.

And in June 1997, he found it.

He sat in his easy chair one evening and looked at his Quick Pick and then at the Sunday newspaper. Harrell studied the sequence of numbers again and began to realize the wildest of notions. He and wife Barbara Jean held the only winning ticket to a Lotto Texas jackpot of $31 million.

Harrell, a deeply religious man, knew he had a godsend from heaven. After being laid off from a couple of jobs in the past few years, Billie Bob had been reduced to stocking the electrical-supply shelves of a Home Depot in northeast Harris County. He was having a damn hard time providing for himself and Barbara Jean, much less for their three teenage children.

Every Wednesday and Saturday those kids were on his mind when he'd scrape together a few spare dollars to purchase a couple or so lottery tickets. Sometimes he'd use the sequence of his children's birth dates to choose his numbers. Other times he'd let the state's computer do his choosing for him. That random selection finally paid off, transforming Harrell into a millionaire overnight on a warm evening in June.

The hard times were history when he arrived in Austin about a month later, with an entourage that included his family, his minister and his attorneys, to collect the first of 25 annual checks for $1.24 million.
Life had been tough, he said at the formal lottery ceremony, but he had persevered through the worst of it.

"I wasn't going to give up," said Harrell, then 47. "Everyone kept telling me it would get better. I didn't realize it would get this much better."

In fact, it was great. At least for a while. Harrell purchased a ranch. He bought a half-dozen homes for himself and other family members. He, his wife and all the kids got new automobiles. He made large contributions to his church. If members of the congregation needed help, Billie Bob was there with cash.

Then suddenly Harrell discovered that his life was unraveling almost as quickly as it had come together. He relished the role of being an easy touch. But everyone, it seemed -- family, friends, fellow worshipers and strangers -- was putting the touch on him. His spending and his lending spiraled out of control. In February those tensions splintered his already strained marriage.

And on May 22, 1999, 20 months after hitting lottery pay dirt, Harrell locked himself inside an upstairs bedroom of his fashionable Kingwood home and stood at the point of no return. Investigators say he stripped away his clothes, pressed a shotgun barrel against his chest and fired.
Billie Bob Harrell was gone forever. So was the fortune, and even the family that had rejoiced with him when the shower of riches had first rained upon them. A schism has widened between the children and grandparents, who cannot even agree on whether Billie Bob took his own life. And an intrafamily war looms over the remnants of the fortune, which may not even be enough to pay estate taxes.

Perhaps the only thing not in dispute about his life and death is the jarring impact of money: It may not have caused his problems, but it certainly didn't solve them.

Shortly before his death, Harrell confided to a financial adviser: "Winning the lottery is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is really true - they did a program on all the lottery winners and none were happy - they all had more problems than when they did not have the money.

We have dear friends - inherited a lot of money - have everything they need - big new house, new cars, boats, kids worrying over who gets what - her 3 kids and his 3 kids - all asking what they are doing with the money - the husband is bored out of his mind - nothing interests him - sits and watches movies on TV all day long - nothing like they use to be.

I heard it said once that getting to the top of the mountain is disappointing because the fun is climbing the mountain.

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I am enjoying greater prosperity in owning nothing more than will fit in carry-on luggage and using the majority of my income to help others, than I ever experienced in having the new house, cool vehicles, fab job with perks, etc. "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)

Try it - you'll like it! God has promised.

Upvote 0

ralangley

Veteran
May 30, 2007
Washington State, USA
✟18,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I heard it said once that getting to the top of the mountain is disappointing because the fun is climbing the mountain.

Ain't that the truth?

Don't we have sayings about money? Oh yeah, you can't take it with you, money isn't everything, if its not your servant, it'll be your master.....

I like this one: He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses much more; he who loses faith, loses all. Eleanor Roosevelt

It seems that Harrell lost it all.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hot03.jpg

yup..look at him,still sad,with all his money..

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Getting to the top of the mountain without the climb is where the real disappointment lies.

Upvote 0

Faithful Love

Jesus is Love and He is Faithful
May 22, 2008
✟8,551.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
It's a shame that this man didn't include Biblical principals in handling his money. Seems like he just went around willy nilly not being responsible with it. The Bible is packed FULL of wisdom on handling money.

Exactly! If one follows the wisdom of the Word in regards to their finances it is never a burden. There are consequences for not following His wisdom.

Proverbs 10:22
The blessing of the LORD makes one rich,
And He adds no sorrow with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that mabey the OP asks the wrong question. Of course prosperity is a blessing, but not knowing how to handle it can certainly be a curse.

Of course, I have never had that much money, so I cant really put myself in his shoes.

But I do know this. The Bible says that children are a blessing from the Lord. But even today people sell there children into slavery, poeple had committed suicide because they cannot provide for their children, and we even know from stories in the Bible that poeple have killed and eaten their children.

One could say, are children then always a blessing? Of course they are, but not knowing or following Gods principals for raising them can be a curse.

Money is a tool, and is not inherently good or evil. It is the state of ones heart, and what they do with it that makes it a blessing or a curse.

Peace...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that mabey the OP asks the wrong question. Of course prosperity is a blessing, but not knowing how to handle it can certainly be a curse.

Of course, I have never had that much money, so I cant really put myself in his shoes.

But I do know this. The Bible says that children are a blessing from the Lord. But even today people sell there children into slavery, poeple had committed suicide because they cannot provide for their children, and we even know from stories in the Bible that poeple had killed and eaten their children.

One could say, are children then always a blessing? Of course they are, but not knowing or following Gods principals for raising them can be a curse.

Money is a tool, and is not inherently good or evil. It is the state of ones heart, and what they do with it that makes it a blessing or a curse.

Peace...
First post I've read in an hour that deserves a hearty, AMEN! :thumbsup:

Reps headed your way.

Reactions: Deba
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the dictionary definition of "prosperity?"

Websters:
Prosperity \Pros*per"i*ty\, n. [F. prosp['e]rit['e], L. prosperitas. See Prosperous.] The state of being prosperous; advance or gain in anything good or desirable; successful progress in any business or enterprise; attainment of the object desired; good fortune; success; as, commercial prosperity; national prosperity.

It is not having money or possessions fall in your lap, getting rich, or having piles of money or possessions.:doh:

This is something I have had trouble getting through the hard heads.:mad:

Prosperity means to bare the fruit of your labors.
It means "your efforts do not fall flat."
It means "whatever you put your hands to will prosper."
It means that when you plant a seed you get a plant and that plant will bare fruit.

It does not mean money from heaven. It means success in your endeavors.
Having money fall in your lap is not the result of your working i.e. planting a field or building a house. You can call winning the lottery a blessing... but technically you cannot call it "prospering."

Your hands have to work:
Deut:2
7 For the LORD thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the LORD thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing.

You will not be barren.... (but needless to say you have to carry out the necessary activities here... :cool:)
Deut:7
14 Thou shalt be blessed above all people: there shall not be male or female barren among you, or among your cattle.

You have to put your hand to something:
Deut:12
7: And there ye shall eat before the LORD your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the LORD thy God hath blessed thee.

You have to go to the city and into the field:
Deut:28:
3: Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field.

You have to come in and go out... you cannot sit around the house:
Deut:28:
6: Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out.

If any of you feel terribly hindered and oppressed by your prosperity.. feel free to send it to me on a regular basis. I will be glad to help you out!:thumbsup:

I am eagarly awaiting the checks to come in from all the prosperity haters...

Can people be hurt by prosperity?
Yes... but they are fools:

Prov:1
32: For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Grace always a blessing even though some have used it for a license to sin?

Do we judge a blessing from God by what men have done with it?

Because some are weak and do stupid things with liberty, is liberty then bad?

Why are we judging the things of God by what man has done with them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

he4rty

Just A Fool For Christ
Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
✟21,138.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

But I do know this. The Bible says that children are a blessing from the Lord. But even today people sell there children into slavery, poeple had committed suicide because they cannot provide for their children, and we even know from stories in the Bible that poeple have killed and eaten their children.

Peace...

This is a good post:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟10,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will say this in defense of ~Jim..:thumbsup:

If he he made a post and said.."Good morning"

Certain folks would come here just because it is ~Jim,and argue..

Well ya know ~Jim,...it is night on the other side of the globe!:o:D

c'mon pinetree...you know that's a two way street ;) :D

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have seen and read many stories similar to this sad story including from Christians who sought wealth in the wrong way.

I love this quote by DL Moody: We can stand affliction better than we can prosperity, for in prosperity we forget God.

Solomon remindes me in this verse: Ecclesiastes 7:14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, But in the day of adversity consider: Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other, So that man can find out nothing that will come after him.

Throughout the Old Testament, there were lists of people who were wealthy and in fact the Book of Proverbs wrote who we use our wealth. Wealth is permissionable as long as we gain wealth from the biblical perspective. When I say biblical perspective, we need to understand the real meaning of blessing behind prosperity.

Proverbs 13:7 One man pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

Everyone gain prosperity differently. Spiritual stewardship into prosperity is looking at our financial situation and to look at our own life spiritually in from God's perspectives rather than from our own flesh's perspectives. God provides according to His will regardless what positions we are in. God knows beforehand what we will need and He will provide beforehand according to His will. There's a right time and way for everything. A Christian's economical life and standard of moral living are not private matters but rather they are critical issues of faith and discipleship. A Christian life in this world should be different from the world, being in the world but not of the world.

There are those who focuses on works in terms of “faith” towards wealth and prosperity. I don’t view these as the essentials of Christian life and practice for our own spiritual being. God's purpose in redemption was not to make people’s lives happy, healthy and free of trouble; His purpose was to rescue them from sin then conform them from the inside out to the image of His Son by the power of His Spirit.

Good thread Jim, reps for you. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.