Does God audibly speak to you in prayer?

• Yes. God talks to me all of the time.

• No. God speaks to me through His Word.

• God has spoken to me in an audible voice.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Post 855
I responded with proofs from Scripture
Read the Word of The Lord
Maybe He's speaking to your heart.
Maybe He has so much more He longs
to do for you and through you. HA! I'm
Sure He has so
Much more He wants to do for and through
All of us!

Your post reveals a certain lack of contentment with what God has been pleased to give us; however, I lack nothing: "His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." (2 Peter 1:3-4)

I don't need signs and wonders. I have the fulfillment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your post reveals a certain lack of contentment with what God has been pleased to give us;
No it doesn't, not at all. It's all about Him.
I am so stinking overjoyed with all that the Father gives me that I praise
Him when I shower for having shampoo to use, for hot water, for clean
water, for the beautiful sky for my health, you name it. I thank Him
throughout the day. NO I am not at all "discontented" I am joyful and
thankful and happy in Christ!

I said:
Maybe He has so much more He longs
to do for you and through you.

however, I lack nothing: "His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." (2 Peter 1:3-4)

I don't long for signs and wonders. I have the fulfillment.
Never said you should long for signs and wonders, unless you consider
prophesy a sign or wonder, Paul called it a gift and said to eagerly
desire it iirc.

I just want to make sure the readers see the truth that our God does
indeed want us to HEAR His voice.

But He sure won't shove Himself on you. Sad thing is that it's not just
for YOU, He blesses us for a good reason, THAT we might bless others.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
I just want to make sure the readers see the truth that our God does
indeed want us to HEAR His voice.

And we hear His voice by opening our Bibles:

Luke 11:28 But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

Psalm 103:20 Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Luke 11:28 But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

Psalm 103:20 Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!
Anyone can open a Bible and read about the things that God said to His children,
The very oracles of God say that He speaks to His people.
HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD!!!:

Charles Stanley puts it this way, "Consider how the Lord continued to call young Samuel until Eli helped him understand he was hearing the voice of God (1 Sam. 3:1-9). Or how God confirmed His directions when Gideon tested Him (Judges 6:36-40). Jesus continues to reach out to us, too—He answered Thomas’ doubts (John 20:24-29) and stopped Paul in his tracks as he headed to Damascus to persecute Christians (Acts 9:1-19)."
In Touch Ministries

Psalms:
Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
for he will speak peace to his people,
to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly.

John 14:21

Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is
who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my
Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Or maybe it's only the "Upright" ;) jk
Proverbs 3:30-32
Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he
has done you no harm. Do not envy a man of violence
and do not choose any of his ways, for the devious
person is an abomination to the Lord, but the
upright are in his confidence.

Psalm 91, an old favorite:

Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;

("him" is "He who dwells in the shelter of the most High)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You kind of "assume" that these passages speak only of Scripture.
They may speak of Scripture, they may speak of actually hearing God's voice.
Wouldn't you agree?

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
You kind of "assume" that these passages speak only of Scripture.
They may speak of Scripture, they may speak of actually hearing God's voice.
Wouldn't you agree?

No I wouldn't agree. The 'word of God' is scripture. Not feelings or impressions.

Colossians 1:25 "so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God"

1 Peter 1:23 "through the living and enduring word of God."

Ephesians 6:17 "Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword

Acts 17:13 "Paul was preaching the word of God at Berea"

Luke 8:11 “Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God.

And many others.

And hearing the word of God is reading or listening to scripture. Nobody in their right mind would consider the following verses to be listening to impressions or voices in your head:

Matthew 13:23 "But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. "

Luke 11:28 "But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

Luke 8:21 "He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.”

Isaiah 66:5 "Hear the word of the LORD, you who tremble at His word"

1 Thessalonians 2:13 "you received the word of God which you heard from us"

Sometimes prophecy is described as 'the word of the Lord' eg Genesis 15:1 "the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying,". But they were bona fide prophecies where God actually spoke words to the prophet. Again not feelings or impressions. The verses I have quoted above cannot be referring to prophecy as they clearly apply to common everyday people hearing God's word preached, not to prophets who were very few in number.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some have asked what is normative in regards to hearing from God in our prayer. I will give an example that happened to me today.

Last week, I received a prayer request from a woman in a church small group that my wife and I have recently joined. We were asked to pray for a woman whose mother had terminal cancer and was apparently unsaved. Since then, I have been praying accordingly.

Last night, we received word that the mother had died. Others in the group posted that we will see her in heaven, but I'm still unclear if she was indeed saved, or people were just posting typical condolences. I went to bed without knowing what to say to the grieving family.

This afternoon, I posted that I was praying for the family. A few minutes later, as I was praying and going about my daily chores, God brought to my memory the song "Your Name" by Paul Baloche. So, I posted that to our group forum as a condolence.

While I played that song on my computer, the Holy Spirit moved me very strongly, so I stood up, raised my hands in the air and worshiped God. There were many tears, whether for the greatness of God or for the suffering of the dead mother's family, I don't know.

This is what I believe should be the normative way God speaks to us in prayer. Of course the scriptures are silent on this issue, so any teaching of man that rejects this experience, does so without the authority of the Bible.

This is why I always say that we should test the fruit of this "messages from God". In this case, I believe the fruit is good and if in fact I am not actually hearing from God, then the actions are at least not harmful.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
This is what I believe should be the normative way God speaks to us in prayer. Of course the scriptures are silent on this issue, so any teaching of man that rejects this experience, does so without the authority of the Bible.

This is why I always say that we should test the fruit of this "messages from God". In this case, I believe the fruit is good and if in fact I am not actually hearing from God, then the actions are at least not harmful.

Experience does not determine the normative way God speaks to us, scripture does. And scripture is far from silent on the issue. It promises that God primarily speaks to us and guides us through his word:

Psalm 119:105 “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path”

Heb. 1:1 "in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son"

1 Thessalonians 2:13 "...the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe."

2 Peter 1.19 "we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place"

James 1:25 "whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

By studying scripture we begin think how Christ thinks (having "the mind of Christ") and thus able to make the necessary practical applications of His will for our lives...

Rom 12.2 "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another"

Scripture does not teach us to follow subjective, unreliable, easily counterfeited methods such as thoughts or songs popping into our heads. What if the song that popped into your head was "I'm On Fire" by Bruce Springsteen? Would that have told you the person who died was unsaved and went to hell? Such methods are an unbiblical, naive, and dangerous ways to allow ourselves to be led.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No I wouldn't agree. The 'word of God' is scripture. Not feelings or impressions.
Well the "Word of God" is SOMETIMES (most of the time) Scripture, but not always.
Sometimes it's Jesus Christ, sometimes it's God's Words that He speaks, sometimes it a combination of the above. I was referring to the passages you had posted in that particular post anyhow.

And hearing the word of God is reading or listening to scripture. Nobody in their right mind would consider the following verses to be listening to impressions or voices in your head:
Again, I was speaking of the Psalms passage iirc. Not these

Sometimes prophecy is described as 'the word of the Lord' eg Genesis 15:1 "the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying,"....
Oh, I forgot that one too.

Again not feelings or impressions.
And since I never mentioned feelings or impressions, this is straw man.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Experience does not determine the normative way God speaks to us, scripture does. And scripture is far from silent on the issue. It promises that God primarily speaks to us and guides us through his word:

Psalm 119:105 “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path”

Heb. 1:1 "in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son"

1 Thessalonians 2:13 "...the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe."

2 Peter 1.19 "we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place"

James 1:25 "whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

By studying scripture we begin think how Christ thinks (having "the mind of Christ") and thus able to make the necessary practical applications of His will for our lives...

Rom 12.2 "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another"

Scripture does not teach us to follow subjective, unreliable, easily counterfeited methods such as thoughts or songs popping into our heads. What if the song that popped into your head was "I'm On Fire" by Bruce Springsteen? Would that have told you the person who died was unsaved and went to hell? Such methods are an unbiblical, naive, and dangerous ways to allow ourselves to be led.
Letting God's Spirit lead us isn't unbiblical naive or dangerous.
Obviously, the enemy will try to counterfeit and so certainly one
needs to be aware of the devices of the enemy, but that pertains
to all areas of a Christian's life.
So do we walk through this life in fear of danger.. of attacks from
the kingdom of darkness? No, we have faith in God and lock our
doors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is Prayer a Two-Way Conversation?
The idea the God talks back to us when we pray has become so accepted that it's difficult to challenge, but is it true or a cliché?

Yes.

However you did not offer enough options, therefore i was compelled to refrain from voting.

^_^

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Letting God's Spirit lead us isn't unbiblical naive or dangerous.

The Holy Spirit doesn't lead us by putting voices or songs in our heads or giving us extra-biblical revelations. That IS unbiblical.

There are two passages that specifically mention being led by the Spirit (Gal 5:17-24 & Rom 8:13-14) and both say He does so by enabling us to crucify the sinful nature. The Spirit leads us by convicting us of sin (John 16:8), giving us a deep love for God (Gal 4:6, Rom 5:5), quickening our minds to the truth of scripture (John 16:13), and prompting us to Christ-like behavior (2 Corinthians 3:18).

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Holy Spirit doesn't lead us by putting voices or songs in our heads or giving us extra-biblical revelations. That IS unbiblical.
God speaks to us in so many different ways, He LOVES to communicate with His kids! I realize that you believe that He doesn't "put things in our heads" but you're mistaken.

There are two passages that specifically mention being led by the Spirit (Gal 5:17-24 & Rom 8:13-14) and both say He does so by enabling us to crucify the sinful nature.
So you took that to mean that this is the ONLY way He leads us?
Running from sin isn't our destiny! Our destiny is to BE who He
created us to BE, that we can DO our assignments here on earth.
And Jesus dealt with sin, all we have to do is stay connected to the
Head and listen listen listen to the voice of the Lord... It's all about
hearing Him and Heeding His voice.

The Spirit leads us by convicting us of sin (John 16:8), giving us a deep love for God (Gal 4:6, Rom 5:5), quickening our minds to the truth of scripture (John 16:13), and prompting us to Christ-like behavior (2 Corinthians 3:18).
Certainly our assignments would include all of these things above, and God also
leads us into all truth and He comforts us <3 and He helps us when we're in trouble,
He quiets us with His Love, He bends down to hear our prayers, and He rejoices over
us with singing! We are His dwelling place, and we know Him and we are known by
Him, and He communicates with us, in many ways, including speaking to our conscience,
and speaking to our hearts.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
So you took that to mean that this is the ONLY way He leads us?
Running from sin isn't our destiny! Our destiny is to BE who He
created us to BE, that we can DO our assignments here on earth.
And Jesus dealt with sin, all we have to do is stay connected to the
Head and listen listen listen to the voice of the Lord... It's all about
hearing Him and Heeding His voice.

The Bible spells out exactly what it means to be led by the spirit. It's right there in Gal 5:17-24 and Rom 8:13-14.

The voice of God is nothing to do with voices in our heads or new revelations via our feelings. You are of course free to believe that if you wish, but it is totally without biblical warrant. The voice of God we hear today is the voice of scripture.

Psalm 103:20 "Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!"

Daniel 9:9-11 "nor have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in His teachings which He set before us through His servants the prophets. Indeed all Israel has transgressed Your law and turned aside, not obeying Your voice;"

Joel 2:11 "The Lord utters His voice before His army; Surely His camp is very great, For strong is he who carries out His word."

Jeremiah 9:13 "The Lord said, “Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice nor walked according to it"

Isaiah 32:9 "Rise up, you women who are at ease, And hear my voice; Give ear to my word, You complacent daughters."

Psalm 106:24-25 "Then they despised the pleasant land; they did not believe in His word, but grumbled in their tents; they did not listen to the voice of the Lord."

2 Kings 18:12-13 "because they did not obey the voice of the Lord their God, but transgressed His covenant, even all that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded; they would neither listen nor do it."

If you want further proof consider John 5:24-25:
John 5:24-25 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

In verse 24 Jesus says that whoever hears His word and believes will have eternal life. He then reiterates the exact same thought using different terminology in verse 25 saying those who hear His voice will live. It is quite obvious Jesus is equating "His voice" to His word.

In the same passage Jesus then goes on to say this to the pharisees:
John 5:37 "You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. You do not have His word abiding in you."
They don't hear God's voice because they don't have His word abiding in them.

Consider also Revelation 3:20:
Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me."

It says we attain salvation by hearing God's voice. Do we attain it by listening to a voice in our head, or believing the voice of God in scripture?

I don't think it can be any clearer. His voice is the voice of scripture. Now show me some verses that show His voice to be a feeling or an impression in our heads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible spells out exactly what it means to be led by the spirit. It's right there in Gal 5:17-24 and Rom 8:13-14.

The voice of God is nothing to do with voices in our heads or new revelations via our feelings. You are of course free to believe that if you wish, but it is totally without biblical warrant. The voice of God we hear today is the voice of scripture.

Psalm 103:20 "Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word!"

Daniel 9:9-11 "nor have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in His teachings which He set before us through His servants the prophets. Indeed all Israel has transgressed Your law and turned aside, not obeying Your voice;"

Joel 2:11 "The Lord utters His voice before His army; Surely His camp is very great, For strong is he who carries out His word."

Jeremiah 9:13 "The Lord said, “Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice nor walked according to it"

Isaiah 32:9 "Rise up, you women who are at ease, And hear my voice; Give ear to my word, You complacent daughters."

Psalm 106:24-25 "Then they despised the pleasant land; they did not believe in His word, but grumbled in their tents; they did not listen to the voice of the Lord."

2 Kings 18:12-13 "because they did not obey the voice of the Lord their God, but transgressed His covenant, even all that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded; they would neither listen nor do it."

If you want further proof consider John 5:24-25:
John 5:24-25 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

In verse 24 Jesus says that whoever hears His word and believes will have eternal life. He then reiterates the exact same thought using different terminology in verse 25 saying those who hear His voice will live. It is quite obvious Jesus is equating "His voice" to His word.

In the same passage Jesus then goes on to say this to the pharisees:
John 5:37 "You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. You do not have His word abiding in you."
They don't hear God's voice because they don't have His word abiding in them.

Consider also Revelation 3:20:
Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me."

It says we attain salvation by hearing God's voice. Do we attain it by listening to a voice in our head, or believing the voice of God in scripture?

I don't think it can be any clearer. His voice is the voice of scripture. Now show me some verses that show His voice to be a feeling or an impression in our heads.
Since I've "heard" His voice so many times throughout my life, why would I now downgrade to believing that I haven't?
Of course He speaks through His word! AMEN! And He also speaks without His Word. He communicates with His people through any means necessary. I don't suppose you think He doesn't speak through donkeys though? ;) He speaks through dreams and through visions and through His Still Small Voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Since I've "heard" His voice so many times throughout my life, why would I now downgrade to believing that I haven't?

Well yes it is sadly true that a lot of people will not abandon the mystical experiences they cherish so dearly despite them being unbiblical. Experience trumps Scripture for a lot of people when it comes to their theology. The subjectivity of experience is superior to the objectivity of Scripture it seems.

I don't suppose you think He doesn't speak through donkeys though? ;)

God has never spoken through a donkey.

He speaks through dreams and through visions

It is true in the past God spoke through the prophets using dreams and visions. But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son. (Heb 1:1-2).

and through His Still Small Voice.

When Elijah heard God's still small voice he was not asking God to speak to him; he was asking God to take his life! And again it is a figurative message, not instruction to Elijah to listen for God speaking in a literal whispering voice (God was already speaking to him!). It is no more literal than God speaking through a whirlwind or an earthquake. The message from Elijah's still small voice is that God doesn't communicate in dramatic ways as in the days of Moses with thunder and earthquakes, but through the still small voice of Scripture. Remember Scripture is often described as God's voice (Never feelings or impressions).

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well yes it is sadly true that a lot of people will not abandon the mystical experiences they cherish so dearly despite them being unbiblical.
I don't cherish so dearly any mystical experience.
I cherish God and love it that He speaks to us.
When God speaks and moves in peoples lives,
why would we disregard that just because of
your understanding of Scripture? He has done
amazing things! How do you think that God reaches
folks when He wants to 'tell them" something?
What if you need Him to lead you in a relationship?
What if you're dating a serial killer? How is He going
to warn you? Through Scripture?

Experience trumps Scripture for a lot of people when it comes to their theology.
Maybe so, or maybe you're projecting that onto them, when in fact they just
understand His Word to mean that He really does speak to their Spirits.

The subjectivity of experience is superior to the objectivity of Scripture it seems.
Mmmm no, not at all.
The Bible says that God speaks to us.
Even posted some Presbys saying so.
And then there're the passages that have
been posted that SEEM to say same.
I truly don't believe that our God is
trying to TRICK us, or cause confusion
for us, so that we Wonder, "Hmm, what
in the world can He mean when He says
that He will answer us?".

God has never spoken through a donkey.
Well He did make a donkey speak to Balaam.

It is true in the past God spoke through the prophets using dreams and visions. But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son. (Heb 1:1-2).
But now He pours out His Spirit on ALL flesh...
It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions.29"Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.…

When Elijah heard God's still small voice he was not asking God to speak to him; he was asking God to take his life!
Well I wasn't asking God to speak to me either, the day that He gave me a message for someone, who had been sterile for years.. that she would indeed have children.
I was minding my own biz, watching television, tending to kids, very busy young mom,
when HE interrupted my routine with a message, loud and clear.
Sorry that it doesn't fit your paradigm, but please reconsider saying things that i
will not abandon the mystical experiences that I cherish so dearly, when that's just
not the case at all.
Once you hear God .. and then WATCH God work to cause it to happen.
Or do you believe that it was the devil tricking me and the sterile woman, who got pregnant that very year iirc.?
Or maybe my own mind just out of the blue made up a message about someone I spoke to about once or twice a year?
I'll just stick with the obvious, occam's razor

And again it is a figurative message, not instruction to Elijah to listen for God speaking in a literal whispering voice (God was already speaking to him!). It is no more literal than God speaking through a whirlwind or an earthquake. The message from Elijah's still small voice is that God doesn't communicate in dramatic ways as in the days of Moses with thunder and earthquakes, but through the still small voice of Scripture. Remember Scripture is often described as God's voice (Never feelings or impressions).]
No, NOT the "still small voice" of "Scripture".
He DOES speak through His Word, but He also speaks!
He TELLS us to go help that neighbor! He one time gave
me a ... ?? vision i guess, is the best way to describe it.
He gave me a one frame movie in my mind of an ambulance
in the neighbors front yard. I found out the following week
that the neighbor fell and was laying on her floor for 24 hours
:( Because I had no idea why I had had that "vision" i hadn't
prayed for or tended to this neighbor.. But I had prayed for
the OTHER neighbor because thats who the amb parked in
front of when they came, just as I had seen in my "vision"
and no, i'm not "Psychic"! GOD warns us so we can help.
Now I know. And i've had other dreams and visions, and I've
prayed for other sterile women, .. (By GOD's direction) and
have seen them bear children. and the list goes on. This is
all about God,, bending down to tend to His loves.

So again I have to ask, How does God let you know you're
heading for trouble?

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
How do you think that God reaches
folks when He wants to 'tell them" something?
What if you need Him to lead you in a relationship?
What if you're dating a serial killer? How is He going
to warn you? Through Scripture?

Yes, through scripture!! Choosing a partner is a perfect example of how God leads us through scripture. Scripture tells us to be equally yoked (2 Cor 6:14). It tells us how we can tell if people are genuine believers. Are they exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5)? Do they have the marks of a true believer (John 13:31-38, 1 John 3, etc). A serial killer would fail those tests miserably. Are they willing to follow the biblical pattern for marital relationships (Eph 5:22-33)? etc, etc, etc.

We don't choose a wife by waiting for a strong feeling to pop into our heads, and then verbalize it into "God said you are to be my wife". The poor innocent girl, not wanting to disobey God, would most likely end up in a miserable marriage she never wanted. A perfect example how this kind of thing leads to disaster.

Well He did make a donkey speak to Balaam.

But God never spoke through the donkey.

But now He pours out His Spirit on ALL flesh...
It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions.29"Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.…

Joel's prophecy has yet to be fulfilled. The part you quoted begins "It will come about after this" (Joel 2:28). After what? Read the previous verses. It speaks about the end of the Tribulation period after the destruction of the northern army (Joel 2:20). Only after that will God "pour out His Spirit on ALL mindkind". Has that happened yet? It goes on to say the Sun will be turned to darkness and the Moon to blood. Has that happened yet? No, that will only happen at the eschaton.

When Peter quoted Joel's prophecy at Pentecost, he didn't say that the prophecy had been fulfilled. He simply said "this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel". The pouring out of the Spirit at Pentecost on some people was the same kind of thing that will happen when Christ returns.

Well I wasn't asking God to speak to me either, the day that He gave me a message for someone, who had been sterile for years.. that she would indeed have children.
I was minding my own biz, watching television, tending to kids, very busy young mom,
when HE interrupted my routine with a message, loud and clear.
He one time gave
me a ... ?? vision i guess, is the best way to describe it.
He gave me a one frame movie in my mind of an ambulance
in the neighbors front yard. I found out the following week
that the neighbor fell and was laying on her floor for 24 hours
:( Because I had no idea why I had had that "vision" i hadn't
prayed for or tended to this neighbor.. But I had prayed for
the OTHER neighbor because thats who the amb parked in
front of when they came, just as I had seen in my "vision"
and no, i'm not "Psychic"! GOD warns us so we can help.

Once again the proof you offer are stories of an experience. Not a word of scripture. And we are expected to believe these unbiblical doctrines based solely on second hand stories from other people?

Expecting such things as pictures and impressions popping into your head and claiming it is God speaking to you shows naivety. Premonitions, telepathy, out-of-body experiences and other psychic phenomena is mysticism. It is the world of the occult, and has no place in Christianity. It is turning God into a genie, constantly looking to him to perform his next magic trick. We shouldn't expect to encounter supernatural phenomena as signs from God. Jesus said to the Jews demanding a miracle "It is a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks a sign". A mature Christian walks by faith and not by sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, through scripture!! Choosing a partner is a perfect example of how God leads us through scripture. Scripture tells us to be equally yoked (2 Cor 6:14). It tells us how we can tell if people are genuine believers. Are they exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5)? Do they have the marks of a true believer (John 13:31-38, 1 John 3, etc). A serial killer would fail those tests miserably. Are they willing to follow the biblical pattern for marital relationships (Eph 5:22-33)? etc, etc, etc.

We don't choose a wife by waiting for a strong feeling to pop into our heads, and then verbalize it into "God said you are to be my wife". The poor innocent girl, not wanting to disobey God, would most likely end up in a miserable marriage she never wanted. A perfect example how this kind of thing leads to disaster.
Sure we do choose a spouse through God's leading!
But no, you don't listen to some guy say, "God says
you're to be my bride"! That would be STUPID on her
part. We both ask God and He leads us! :) And not by
"strong feelings that pop into our heads" Strawman

Joel's prophecy has yet to be fulfilled. The part you quoted begins "It will come about after this" (Joel 2:28). After what? Read the previous verses. It speaks about the end of the Tribulation period after the destruction of the northern army (Joel 2:20). Only after that will God "pour out His Spirit on ALL mindkind". Has that happened yet? It goes on to say the Sun will be turned to darkness and the Moon to blood. Has that happened yet? No, that will only happen at the eschaton.
God has poured His Spirit out on me though, and I have dreamed dreams,
seen visions and prophesied.

...The pouring out of the Spirit at Pentecost on some people was the same kind of thing that will happen when Christ returns.
"Some" people?
Which people?
You don't believe that we all get the Spirit poured out on us?

Once again the proof you offer are stories of an experience.
Indeed!
Not a word of scripture.
I've posted Scripture throughout the thread
Here's some again:

Psalms:
Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
for he will speak peace to his people,
to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly.

John 14:21

Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is
who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my
Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Proverbs 3:30-32
Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he
has done you no harm. Do not envy a man of violence
and do not choose any of his ways, for the devious
person is an abomination to the Lord, but the
upright are in his confidence.

Psalm 91
Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;

("him" is "He who dwells in the shelter of the most High)

And we are expected to believe these unbiblical doctrines based solely on second hand stories from other people?
They're not doctrines, they're my stories, you can believe them or not.
Sharing them for others mostly :)

Expecting such things as pictures and impressions popping into your head and claiming it is God speaking to you shows naivety.
Strawman
Not "pictures and impressions" He spoke, and He gave me a VISION, it's quite biblical
and not at all naive to have faith in God.

Premonitions, telepathy, out-of-body experiences and other psychic phenomena is mysticism. It is the world of the occult, and has no place in Christianity.
Checking the rules after I finish my response here.

It is turning God into a genie, constantly looking to him to perform his next magic trick.
Strawman
I received of Him, but i hadn't ASKED Him to speak or show.

We shouldn't expect to encounter supernatural phenomena as signs from God.
strawman.

Jesus said to the Jews demanding a miracle "It is a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks a sign". A mature Christian walks by faith and not by sight.
Strawman. No one is demanding anything or even asking.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
"Some" people?
Which people?
You don't believe that we all get the Spirit poured out on us?

The Holy Spirit is poured out on all believers. But not ALL MANKIND as Joel's prophecy states. That won't occur until Christ returns. Peter never said Joel's prophecy was fulfilled at Pentecost.

Upvote 0