bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
iloveadam said:
I've been pondering this because I have gone with my mother in law a couple of times to bingo. I really dont see anything bad about it but then again I guess it can be considered a form of gambling....what do you think?

Gambling to me is something you play to try to win (and in the end, LOSE) money. Bingo is a sin, if they are winning money or losing money from it on a regular basis (meaning not only they play it regularly, but also that money plays a large part in the game - you can only play if you put in money (or some form of money like chips) and you must either win some or lose some to play). However, it's not if the winning person gets ... um .. a banana?

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL I remember a local news program showed this woman a few years back who won several thousands of dollars on a scratch-off lottery ticket. She was on TV with her family and the pastor from her church. When they asked her what she was going to do with the money she said she was going to give 20% of it to her church and the pastor started shouting, "Hallelujah praise the Lord!" I guess playing the lottery isn't a sin, so long as a portion of the winnings go toward a noble cause. *shrugs*

Me, personally, I see no problem with gambling in moderation. If it becomes a compulsion then gambling isn't the problem, it's the gambler. You can become addicted to everything from surfing the internet to eating. Only the person engaging in such acts can be responsible for how they use their time, efforts and money.

Upvote 0

iloveadam

Contributor
Aug 10, 2005
Colorado
✟14,322.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
wise woman, you are;)
KatAutumn said:
LOL I remember a local news program showed this woman a few years back who won several thousands of dollars on a scratch-off lottery ticket. She was on TV with her family and the pastor from her church. When they asked her what she was going to do with the money she said she was going to give 20% of it to her church and the pastor started shouting, "Hallelujah praise the Lord!" I guess playing the lottery isn't a sin, so long as a portion of the winnings go toward a noble cause. *shrugs*

Me, personally, I see no problem with gambling in moderation. If it becomes a compulsion then gambling isn't the problem, it's the gambler. You can become addicted to everything from surfing the internet to eating. Only the person engaging in such acts can be responsible for how they use their time, efforts and money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
savvy said:
Of course it is sin. Don't you remember the 11th commandment?
"Thou shalt not engage thyself in the pursuit of BINGO; it is of the Enemy"

No, the that's the twelfth commandment, the eleventh was "All true Star Wars fans must watch Clerks. And enjoy it."

Upvote 0

savvy

I always finish what I....
Jul 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟1,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Abbadon said:
No, the that's the twelfth commandment, the eleventh was "All true Star Wars fans must watch Clerks. And enjoy it."

ga'darnit! I always get these things confused. And here I thought number twelve was "Thou shalt kill God's enemies for trivial reasons." Oh well.

Upvote 0

Kroger99

Nov 15, 2004
Louisville, Kentucky
✟1,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
iloveadam said:
I've been pondering this because I have gone with my mother in law a couple of times to bingo. I really dont see anything bad about it but then again I guess it can be considered a form of gambling....what do you think?
It's no different than anything else. Eating can be sinful. Drinking can be sinful and yes Bingo can be sinful. Walking down the street can be sinful depending on what you ar check out as you walk. ;)

If you have extra money and you are there to have some fun and play Bingo for Entertainment purposes...I see nothing wrong with it. The pastor at the Baptist Church that I grew up in would probably disagree, but that is his problem....lol Now, if you are taking the money that is supossed to be going towards paying bills and gambling it away on anything including Bingo... The we have a problem. This is where the sin comes into play.

I bet the horses quite a bit and I also love to play poker, and I'm quite sure that I will be spending Eternity in Heaven with my Savior, Jesus. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0