Is "pity" or feeling sorry for someone, move one to an act of Agape Love?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Jesus was move into acting by pity for us it says a lot, and in the tale of the good Samaritan, the Samaritan was moved by feeling sorry for the man abandoned on the side of the road, from which example, we get our example of a man committing and act of "Agape Love"...

Some despise being "pitied" but yet when we get low or down enough, we wish someone would take pity on us and help us...

God Bless!

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
no.

Yahshua had pity on some and did something for them, and cried over His Own people in Yerusalem, lamenting that they "would not", and let them go. (see Scripture).

the feelings do not make "agape love", nor do feelings make "charity" either.

obedience in righteousness is what in english is usually translate "charity" but "charity is not found in the original Scripture.

"agape love" means and is doing what is best, which means doing what ABBA YHVH says to do - not what feelings may or may not indicate to do. feelings are not reliable nor accurate of what Yhvh says to do, and are not to be the basis for action.

remember Yahshua (and others) in Scripture said - watch ABBA closely, all the time, and do what you see ABBA do; and speak what ABBA speaks. (yes, for real- that is the really born again true believer who does what He says; the merely religious believer does what he feels, and is not a "doer of the Word" as required by Yhvh)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
no.

Yahshua had pity on some and did something for them, and cried over His Own people in Yerusalem, lamenting that they "would not", and let them go. (see Scripture).

the feelings do not make "agape love", nor do feelings make "charity" either.

obedience in righteousness is what in english is usually translate "charity" but "charity is not found in the original Scripture.

"agape love" means and is doing what is best, which means doing what ABBA YHVH says to do - not what feelings may or may not indicate to do. feelings are not reliable nor accurate of what Yhvh says to do, and are not to be the basis for action.

remember Yahshua (and others) in Scripture said - watch ABBA closely, all the time, and do what you see ABBA do; and speak what ABBA speaks. (yes, for real- that is the really born again true believer who does what He says; the merely religious believer does what he feels, and is not a "doer of the Word" as required by Yhvh)

Yes, but it usually almost always takes some kind of "feeling" felt in the person about to act, before they will actually "act".

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, but it usually almost always takes some kind of "feeling" felt in the person about to act, before they will actually "act".

God Bless!

that's true of carnal believers or unbelievers(i.e. most everyone). those who live by faith have been crucified with Yahshua HaMashiach and don't rely on, trust, or go by feelings at all - sometimes this is a work that is accomplished quickly in someone immersed in Yahshua, sometimes it is a work that is accomplished slower in someone immersed in Yahshua. it is never accomplished in someone who is not willing to be completely obedient to Yhvh.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
that's true of carnal believers or unbelievers(i.e. most everyone). those who live by faith have been crucified with Yahshua HaMashiach and don't rely on, trust, or go by feelings at all - sometimes this is a work that is accomplished quickly in someone immersed in Yahshua, sometimes it is a work that is accomplished slower in someone immersed in Yahshua. it is never accomplished in someone who is not willing to be completely obedient to Yhvh.

I disagree, even YHWH himself went an acted, based on a feeling, ("hurt" at his heart before he caused the flood, and numerous other examples.) Jesus acted based on feelings, feelings and emotions are not "carnal" or wicked or evil, it is what we "do" with those feelings that makes it so, they (emotions, feelings) are a part of who and what we are and what we were created in the image and likeness from (God) So, "all" have feelings, and sometimes act upon them (God, Jesus, angels, and "us") or do you think we have an emotionless God?

"We" are probably not as experienced with our emotions as say God and Jesus are, and so sometimes they get the better of us, but I don't think this is true with God/Jesus, well maybe except for that time that Jesus turned over the tables of the moneychangers in the temple (maybe) but that also could have been done on purpose...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good question, in my opinion the term "pity" has a negative connotation. When someone pity's another person it sounds more demeaning, its like they feel sorry for someone else but because they feel like they are a lesser person and the person do the pitying feels like they are responsible to for that person because they are stronger and more capable. I prefer the term empathetic, because when I see someone in a tough situation, I imagine how I would feel in that situation and how I would want someone to help me. Hence the Golden rule do onto others as you would do onto you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Good question, in my opinion the term "pity" has a negative connotation. When someone pity's another person it sounds more demeaning, its like they feel sorry for someone else but because they feel like they are a lesser person and the person do the pitying feels like they are responsible to for that person because they are stronger and more capable. I prefer the term empathetic, because when I see someone in a tough situation, I imagine how I would feel in that situation and how I would want someone to help me. Hence the Golden rule do onto others as you would do onto you.

Yet, the word used for how Jesus felt (for the people and the flock of God) was "Pity"... How does that make you feel?

Jesus was stronger and more capable than anyone, so maybe he had the right to feel "pity"...? Wonder what the word meant in the original Greek?, Does anyone on here know?, Was it akin to how we have come to feel and know about the word "pity" today, or not?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
[FONT=CIMIKO+TimesNewRoman]Yhvh is not moved by feelings. He always, always, always does what is Right.
Yahshua plainly said He did nothing on His Own, nothing of the flesh desires, nothing except what ABBA did - that is what Yahshua did, willingly and joyfully and always.

Following this sort of sums up decades of experience in Yhvh, in Righteousness in Yahshua, by grace,
(so don't expect to "get it" right away, even though it is something many already ought to know but don't because the "teachers" and the "schools" are so in error.

When a believer has experienced the practical treatment of the cross he finally arrives at a pure life. All is for Yhvh and in Yhvh, and Yhvh is in all as well. Nothing is unto self. Even the tiniest desire for pleasing one’s self is crucified. Self-love has been consigned to death. The present aim of existence becomes single: to do the will of Yhvh: so long as He is pleased, nothing else really counts: to obey Him becomes the sole objective of life. It does not matter bow he feels; what matters is obeying Yhvh. This is a pure walk. Although Yhvh affords him peace, comfort and bliss, he does not enjoy them for the sake of gratifying his desire. He from now on views everything with Yhvh’s eye. His soulish life has been terminated and the Lord has granted him a pure, restful, true and believing spiritual life. While it is Yhvh Who does destroy him, it equally is Yhvh Who builds him up. Yhvh Willing.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0