Is one Sin worse than another

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceHead

Feb 15, 2006
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
Ok I have been pondering is any sin worse than any other sin. I have read the bible and cannot find where it says ones sin is greater than the other but in only one place it deos talks about blasophy as an unforgivable sin. But from my understanding the only way to create blasophy is to denounce God's work and glory once you know him. Can we really truely know God while still in this form. I think not. If we cannot truley know him how can we create blasophy?

Reactions: Yusuf Evans

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
SpaceHead said:
Ok I have been pondering is any sin worse than any other sin. I have read the bible and cannot find where it says ones sin is greater than the other but in only one place it deos talks about blasophy as an unforgivable sin. But from my understanding the only way to create blasophy is to denounce God's work and glory once you know him. Can we really truely know God while still in this form. I think not. If we cannot truley know him how can we create blasophy?

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the rejection of Jesus Christ. That is the only unforgiveable sin, and cannot be forgiven when you die. As for the others, no, all are forgiveable. Now, morally speaking, there are some reprehensible sins. Pedophilia and rape are two that come to mind.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SpaceHead said:

Hi, Once you become a Christian you can not commit the unpardonable sin, the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit. Once you are saved you are sealed by the Holy Spirit and can not lose your salvation.

God does count any sin as sin regardless of the degree in regards to our fallen state. But say murder is a worse sin in reality because it's the taking of another's life. See the OT and what the punishments were for the varying sins. Some required death, some a limb, some other things, and some the shedding of an animal's blood for example (pointing to the sacrifice Jesus would later make.)

But today because of Jesus's atoning sacrifice for us - that murder can be forgiven.

All sin is sin.

Hope this helps.

Tapero

Upvote 0
M

mountainman5885

Sin is that which divides God and man (refering to both genders). All sin doesn this, so I would say that it is all equal. However, I do propose that some sins carry you further away from the Father then do others. For example, habitual sins can seem to have a stronger hold and can, perhaps, pull you further under more often then your other sins do. I would suggest that while no sin is "worse" then the next, some sins are more powerful for certain people. In a sense this would be worse in terms of your personal walk. The joy is that God- the one who breathed life into all things living- can certainly redeem anyone of any sinful behavior.

Upvote 0

AnaSnow

Veteran
Sep 26, 2005
Bronx,NY
✟1,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I do not think one sin is worse than another. However, I agree with mountainman in the idea that some sins can cause greater damage to an individual's journey with God. God created everyone differently, so a sin that may cause your relationship with God to be seriously hurt may not have the same effect on someone else. The best advice I can give is to strive for perfection and trust in Him to get you there.

Upvote 0

Natman

Aug 17, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA
✟16,420.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says that "there are sins leading to death and there are not leading to death"

1 John 5:16
"If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that."
Blaspheme of the spirit is a sin that is unforgivable, making it the greatest of all sins. As one poster pointed out, a "Christian" cannot commit that sin. However a person that only calls himself or herself a "Christian", a person with a "said faith" and not "true faith" certainly can commit that sin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.