Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I was reading a Facebook story about a woman who almost died and claims to have seen her father with wings saying he was always with her and waiting for her when it was time. Immediately I thought of my poor dead mother with wings watching my sinful life. I know the verse about all tears being wiped away but that is after the end of the world... right? I am a baby Christian and am confused and mortified.
I don't know if that story is true or not, but I feel that your mother would say the same thing that Jesus told the woman when she was caught in her sin, she would hug you tightly and tell you that she forgives you, and to take courage and go and sin no more, sometimes when we feel shame it is not to belittle us, but it is to motivate us to continue, because what we have been is not so important to God as what we can be. :)

Upvote 0

Lill

Jul 2, 2016
England
✟15,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Lill, and welcome to CF!

I just wanted to greet you and say that it is very kind of you to want to offer reassurance and encouragement to the OP. I pray that you are blessed by being here at CF. Please let us know if we can help you in finding your way around or if you have any questions.

Again, welcome, and God be with you! :)
Thank you.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if that story is true or not, but I feel that your mother would say the same thing that Jesus told the woman when she was caught in her sin, she would hug you tightly and tell you that she forgives you, and to take courage and go and sin no more, sometimes when we feel shame it is not to belittle us, but it is to motivate us to continue, because what we have been is not so important to God as what we can be. :)
Hello, Hallstone, and welcome to CF!

I love this post - I think you've hit on a very good insight. The Christian life consists of Christ being formed in us. So yes, one who has completed the course of this life and is in the company of all the S/saints, would show Christ in their words and actions. I think this is the perfect answer. :)

Again, welcome to CF! We are glad that you've joined us, and I pray that you are blessed by being here!

Reactions: Hallstone
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
People who "almost die" experience lack of oxygen and other chemical changes.
Such events are not a passage to reality, just the opposite.

You are quite wrong, SkyWriting. The English air-traffic controller, Alan Pring, did suffer serious oxygen deprivation as a pilot during WWII, and disposes of the conjecture very unambiguously.

Bethann, there are a fair number of very impressive NDEs, you can watch, notably on YouTube. In some of them, relatives greet them in a sort of Paradise they live in, pending the Final Judgment, which I have read, would be the most overtly-glorious end of the Purgatory spectrum. .

My brother, Barry, appeared at the bedside of my sister, Annabelle, for about two minutes, when she was very ill and awaiting a kidney transplant operation. I only learnt about it by chance from my mother some time later. My sister was clearly very undemonstrative about it, as she and my brother were about 'religion' in general. Anyway, I asked her about it, and she said Barry didn't say a word (nor did she presumably), but he just looked at her as if to encourage her. He'd looked very solid - she said she felt she could have stretched out her hand and touched him - then he gradually faded. She died recently without fear, feeling ready for it, after a few more years of dialysis, having lost the transplanted kidney after 19 years. But with all their appointments she and her husband, John, were attending the hospital and various clinics almost every other day. And I believe that that was at least part of the reason for her upbeat departure. Of course, she would have felt for John and their son, Carl, but it wasn't worth hanging on for a dodgy operation, with her organs failing, generally.

The Catholic church's enduring protection of sound, core, Christian doctrine is a bit of a two-edged sword. There is so much encouragement to be had, not from necromancy and psychic consultation and events, which, evidently can be dangerous, and in any case, are clearly proscribed in Scripture. I know of many good women who have been to public seances, as widows, nevertheless, and surely because of their ignorance of the danger, were protected by God and is angels ; which of course, is not a 'green light' for us to do so. But when ghosts of loving family members and/or friends appear to us, we should accept such visitations with gratitude, as a consolation and encouragement for us, sanctioned by God, as part of his providential dispensation.

My advice would be to rejoice in any apparitions by your Mum, or communications with her.

Bethann, we Roman Candles have come to terms with the truth that we are a church of sinners. Jesus' local synagogue-congregation tried to throw him over a cliff. Your mother was human, and she would have known our proclivity for sin, so just be pleased she got in touch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, Hallstone, and welcome to CF!

I love this post - I think you've hit on a very good insight. The Christian life consists of Christ being formed in us. So yes, one who has completed the course of this life and is in the company of all the S/saints, would show Christ in their words and actions. I think this is the perfect answer. :)

Again, welcome to CF! We are glad that you've joined us, and I pray that you are blessed by being here!
Thank you, to have the opportunity to talk about the Lord is certainly a blessing. :)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are quite wrong, SkyWriting. The English air-traffic controller, Alan Pring, did suffer serious oxygen deprivation as a pilot during WWII, and disposes of the conjecture very unambiguously.

My sources are much more detailed in their analysis
than your guy.

The main one is a meta-study, which is a study of many other previous studies.
I thought cited it.

Near-Death Experiences Linked to Oxygen Deprivation - Live Science

Peace of Mind: Near-Death Experiences Now Found to Have Scientific

Darkness, Tunnels, and Light - CSI

FYI: What Causes Near-Death Experiences? | Popular Science

Are near-death experiences true?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The faithful departed wouldn't have wings. Angels are an entirely different created being. We don't turn into them.
Hello Ulfric, and welcome to CF!

This particular thread seems to interest a lot of newcomers. :) And I agree completely with your post, btw. The thread has gotten a bit long, but that is part of what I answered as well.

Feel free to ask me (or another ambassador of staff member) if you need any help navigating the forums, or have any questions. I'll do my best to help, or find someone who can.

I pray you are blessed by being here, and again, welcome!

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

I prefer the first-hand experience of highly-qualified physicians, one a neuro-surgeon ; physicians who have personally undergone such experiences, such as Dr Eben Alexander, who taught at Harvard Medical School, and Dr Mary Read, an orthopaedic surgeon - to name just two. Unless you feel your faith will be threatened and have a closed mind on the subject, you will want to look up their testimonies on YouTube. They have written concerning their experiences as well.

There are also the studies of Dr Peter Fenwick, a neuro-psychiatrist (also, speaking on YouTube) who has aggregated a large number of such studies, and Dr Penny Sartori, a hospice-nurse PhD, with similar research, though neither, I think, with personal experience of an actual NDE. Among others, Dr Sam Parnia and Dr Pym van Lommel have performed copious research in the area.

Also, I have to say I favour the testimony of the pilot who actually suffered oxygen deprivation, himself. However, there are so many factors, to my mind, far more persuasive than any medical research on the subject. Academia, particularly the science faculties, are very corrupt, relying on the large corporations for funding of their departments. Are you aware, for instance, that the medical profession does not have the remotest clue as to the nature of the mind, any more than it does of life, itself ? Rather important points to bear in mind, when considering a subject such as this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I prefer the first-hand experience of highly-qualified physicians, one a neuro-surgeon ; physicians who have personally undergone such experiences, such as Dr Eben Alexander, who taught at Harvard Medical School, and Dr Mary Read, an orthopaedic surgeon - to name just two. Unless you feel your faith will be threatened and have a closed mind on the subject, you will want to look up their testimonies on YouTube. They have written concerning their experiences as well.

There are also the studies of Dr Peter Fenwick, a neuro-psychiatrist (also, speaking on YouTube) who has aggregated a large number of such studies, and Dr Penny Sartori, a hospice-nurse PhD, with similar research, though neither, I think, with personal experience of an actual NDE. Among others, Dr Sam Parnia and Dr Pym van Lommel have performed copious research in the area.

Also, I have to say I favour the testimony of the pilot who actually suffered oxygen deprivation, himself. However, there are so many factors, to my mind, far more persuasive than any medical research on the subject. Academia, particularly the science faculties, are very corrupt, relying on the large corporations for funding of their departments. Are you aware, for instance, that the medical profession does not have the remotest clue as to the nature of the mind, any more than it does of life, itself ? Rather important points to bear in mind, when considering a subject such as this.

Personally, their body-language/emotions, the life-changing effects of NDEs and the unique vividness, the total recall of the details of their recollections of their experiences, in contrast to dreams and hallucinations, are far more compelling testimony than any putative scientific findings, though the latter provide useful corroboration for those interested in such data.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BornAgainChristian1

Mar 29, 2016
South Eastern Pa.
✟19,130.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello. I was reading a Facebook story about a woman who almost died and claims to have seen her father with wings saying he was always with her and waiting for her when it was time. Immediately I thought of my poor dead mother with wings watching my sinful life. I know the verse about all tears being wiped away but that is after the end of the world... right? I am a baby Christian and am confused and mortified.
The simple answer is no your parents are not watching over you but angels are if you're saved. We don't get "wings" they are reserved for angels and when the Apostles met Christ, Moses and Elijah on a high mountain nothing was said about them looking any different than other men. Again to prove this point how were the angles described at the tomb and how was Christ described after His resurrection. We are created in the image of Elohim not angels.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you're describing is something that's often heard. We want to think that our deceased loved ones are looking down on us and smiling--or protecting us. Or something like that. But there is nothing in scripture that supports this kind of fond "folk religion." There is a hint that those in heaven have some awareness of us mortals in general and do pray for humanity on their own, but nothing like you've described in your post.

I have always held the same view, but now a very long-time friend of mine has told me she had a near death experience and was considered dead by doctors for a bit. She says that during this "clinical death period of time" she saw her long deceased father in a white robe telling her to go back and take care of her family. hmmmm, I totally trust she did not make it up. However, wondering about the source of these visions since they are not recorded in Scripture. I don't think you should rely on them as my friend does, but something rather to puzzle out. What is going on here????

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No one can figure out NDEs. Some have been proven false, but others seem to be above being disproved. However, I would definitely not rely upon them--or a few of them--when it comes to settling upon the answer to a question like the one we have here. In your friend's case, she may have had a real Near Death Experience but what she saw during that time could easily have been imagined. FWIW, I consider it quite different from an NDE where someone accurately describes the rest of the hospital even though they had been rushed into the building through the Emergency Room entrance following a car crash and had never been in that city before.

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2010
San Juan del Río
✟26,797.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No. Probably not. The Bible provides no indication that they can.

In the bible there is broad evidence that we are surrounded by spirits. an there is evidence of Dead Christians claiming to God for Justice against the forces of evil, If they know nothing of what it happens here in the world of flesh, how can they call for Justice? Revelation 6:10

how would they know that God has made them justice or not?

If you feel awkward because you think your deceased mother may be ‘watching your sinful life from Heaven’, please bear two things in mind: 1) we hardly think she is; and 2) even if she is, you should be way more concerned that God himself is watching you (your mother can do nothing to punish you, but God can).

So, do not worry about that! :) Avoid sinning — not in order to avoid disappointing your deceased mother, but to avoid disappointing God.

We are surrounded by witnesses:

Hebrews 12:1

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In the bible there is broad evidence that we are surrounded by spirits. an there is evidence of Dead Christians claiming to God for Justice against the forces of evil, If they know nothing of what it happens here in the world of flesh, how can they call for Justice? Revelation 6:10

They were killed unjustly. It is obvious that they can call for justice.

how would they know that God has made them justice or not?

Crazy thing: perhaps God has told them! :openmouth:

We are surrounded by witnesses:

Hebrews 12:1

And this verse automatically means that your relatives can watch you from Heaven. Wow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 14, 2010
San Juan del Río
✟26,797.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They were killed unjustly. It is obvious that they can call for justice.

Crazy thing: perhaps God has told them! :openmouth:

And this verse automatically means that your relatives can watch you from Heaven. Wow.

The verses I showed are there in the Sacred Scripture to show that Yes, God is a God of living not of dead. Somehow, Moses and Elijah showed us that from the transfiguration.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The verses I showed are there in the Sacred Scripture to show that Yes, God is a God of living not of dead. Somehow, Moses and Elijah showed us that from the transfiguration.

Logical conclusion: your dead parents can look down from Heaven and see you sinning. Wow.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello my Sibling in Jesus Christ our Merciful Saviour and our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary,

If you read Revelations in God's Old Testament and read Jesus' New Testament praying to Jesus and The Holy Spirit with our Heavenly Mother Mary - The Holy Spirit in Holy Discernment will guide and explain to your Heart Soul and Mind these things and innumerable things deciphered for you.

Trust in Jesus and all is revealed in God's Holy Will and God's Holy Timing through heartfelt prayer while focussing on Jesus and His Bitter Passion, repenting sins in genuine remorse and receiving His Blessed Sacraments and Holy Communion of which contain His Blessings, Gifts and Graces more greatly.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

The dead aren't really all that interested in us, maybe for a short time after becoming disembodied, but then it makes no sense to be fixated on the previous way of existence since they no longer have a body.
I remember when I was first born again, the sin living inside my body would use my memories to forge an identity to try and drag me down to its level. The new spirit being that you are is something the body tries to emulate because it simply does not want to die .. but it will. confusion and fear is normal, and you may experience things that are similar to other people, but this one thing (being born again) will add a dimension of existence that simply does not apply to them.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Ecclesiastes 9:5-6King James Version (KJV)
5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Upvote 0