Is "love they neighbor" the only commandment you have to follow?

O mountains

Apr 2, 2014
earth
✟11,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said if you loved him then you will keep his commandments, and he said those 2 commandments were love thy neighbor and another one i believe which referred to loving the god and everything else. I think all of commandments are summed up in these 2 commandments. You can't kill, cheat, steal, or wrong someone you love. I find that when you look at the 10 commandments. hindu/muslim rules and obligations you see nothing but a set of rules that come across as very repressive in nature.

I like the love thy neighbor commandment, because you're not called to obsess over your works or live a life of dogmatic-ism. Living a life of love is living a life of freedom. There are some legalistic Christians out there who live by every other commandment except this one and come off as cold and stern. I just don't see that with many of the Christians who act like they're more righteous than everyone. If Jesus was here i think he'd be that really awesome guy that everyone would want to hang out and worship, not because of fear but because he was so loving and kind.

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, and maybe yes.

The context of Matt 22 that you are referring to was when the Pharisees were conspriring to trip him in with the law. So Jesus simply answered their question....according to the law.

We couldn't keep the law when there were ten, as we were never meant to keep them. The law wasn't given to show us how to get right with God, rather, it was to show us how we couldn't get it right with God. And when it was boiled down to two, the truth is we couldn't keep those two either.

The new covenant reality is that you love one another.....as he loved us. It's a one law covenant, and it's not a covenant that you keep, it's a covenant that he keeps.

Upvote 0

O mountains

Apr 2, 2014
earth
✟11,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, and maybe yes.

The context of Matt 22 that you are referring to was when the Pharisees were conspriring to trip him in with the law. So Jesus simply answered their question....according to the law.

We couldn't keep the law when there were ten, as we were never meant to keep them. The law wasn't given to show us how to get right with God, rather, it was to show us how we couldn't get it right with God. And when it was boiled down to two, the truth is we couldn't keep those two either.

The new covenant reality is that you love one another.....as he loved us. It's a one law covenant, and it's not a covenant that you keep, it's a covenant that he keeps.

Great, more glory to him. Good, you brought up the pharisees. I fear i've blasphemied the holy spirit in my lifetime. Basically, Before I was a believer in jesus, I used to think the holy spirit was demonic and deceptive in nature. It says in the bible, that if you commit that sin you can't be forgiven in this life or the next.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

No, and maybe yes.

It's actually a two law covenant "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind" and "love your neighbor as yourself."

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's actually a two law covenant "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind" and "love your neighbor as yourself."
Yes, according to the law of the old covenant.

No, according to the law of the new covenant.

2 Tim 2:15 says we are to rightly divide the word of truth. This is one of those times. Take your pick.

If truth can be divisible then there are two sides, and in Scripture, "twos" crop up everywhere....two trees, two sons, two covenants, two mountains, two Jerusalem....and Galations 4 and Heb 12 illustrate this explicitly well. And we are presented with an opportunity to choose, or rightly divide, the word of truth.

Gal 4:22...For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free

Heb 12:18 For you have not come to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest....verse 22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem.

We can't have it both ways. Either we live under the old covenant, or we live under the new. In fact, Paul then gives us wisdom on what to do in Galations 4:30... Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Basically, Before I was a believer in jesus, I used to think the holy spirit was demonic and deceptive in nature. It says in the bible, that if you commit that sin you can't be forgiven in this life or the next.

Whatever you did before you surrendered to Christ is washed away. You couldn't blaspheme against a Holy Spirit that you literally did not know. After you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then you receive the full measure of the Holy Spirit through justifying grace. I was an atheist/agnostic for 30 years. I'm confident that grace has wiped all that from my record because Jesus has given me his perfect, sinless life to present to the Father in place of my own.

Upvote 0