Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, neither is Palm Sunday, they are neither in Lent nor Holy Week. However, they are still fasting days. The disciplines vary, I've heard fish eggs were available on Saturday and fish themselves on Sunday.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i was fed fish on both Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday by a bishop here in Russia. Don't know if that was typical of if maybe they were just pulling out all the stops for lil' ol' American me. Either way, i hate fish, sooooooooo...

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anhelyna said:
Ah - I'm told you can eat Caviar on Lazarus Saturday and also Wine and Oil Sunday is Fish Wine and Oil but Tuesday [ Annunciation] is a Fast day but we are permitted Wine and Oil
Ugh....caviar would so not be a good tasting thing for relaxing the fast with me...I'll take vegan foods over fish eggs any day!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't even want to try caviar. :p

I don't care overmuch for fish, but I was given some at Church on Palm Sunday. The guys here make the best fish I've ever had, so it really was pretty good.

I can't keep the fast strictly right now anyway, but I try to go for the "spirit". A tiny bit of broiled chicken breast because I need it. Funny, two days that I felt were not properly fasting were when my husband decided he wanted coconut shrimp, and when he came home with a tub of blue crab and we steamed them. Those meals both FELT decadent even though they were technically allowed? At least I didn't overeat. Seafood is rich to me, and the crabs were so much work without proper utensils that I eventually gave up after eating about 1/2 a meal worth.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kylissa said:
I don't even want to try caviar. :p I don't care overmuch for fish, but I was given some at Church on Palm Sunday. The guys here make the best fish I've ever had, so it really was pretty good. I can't keep the fast strictly right now anyway, but I try to go for the "spirit". A tiny bit of broiled chicken breast because I need it. Funny, two days that I felt were not properly fasting were when my husband decided he wanted coconut shrimp, and when he came home with a tub of blue crab and we steamed them. Those meals both FELT decadent even though they were technically allowed? At least I didn't overeat. Seafood is rich to me, and the crabs were so much work without proper utensils that I eventually gave up after eating about 1/2 a meal worth.

So true...we could have lobster tail and technically fully follow the fast guidelines...but that doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing anything for that! Or jumbo lump crab....already out of the shell of course...just would miss the butter to dip it in...mmmm

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So true...we could have lobster tail and technically fully follow the fast guidelines...but that doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing anything for that! Or jumbo lump crab....already out of the shell of course...just would miss the butter to dip it in...mmmm

I admit I have trouble really appreciating the fasting guidelines applied to us today. If I could afford lobster, lump crab, fried shrimp - every day - I'd still be "fasting" ... technically. Although in our conscience, I'm sure we know that's not what it's about.

Maybe my difficulty is the reason I've been given this physical limitation. I'm not tempted to question the Church's wisdom, I'm protected from pride if I managed to keep the fast "well", I'm reminded to pray and depend on God through my limitations. Probably win all-around.

I read a quote - I think it was St. John Climacus? It said something to the effect that the chief temptation to sin by those in the world was the love of money, but for monks it was gluttony.

In a way, I've felt I may be missing some spiritual benefit. Pretty much ALL of the writings I've read during Lent say that one cannot make spiritual progress apart from fasting, or something to similar effect. I've been getting a lot of benefit, but this idea made me kind of sad. But perhaps, really, what "fasting" is can be less rigid? Given my personal tastes, if I had plenty of money and didn't need to worry about my health, I could totally indulge my own wants and still - technically - keep the fast. But surely that would be pointless? However there are other things that are "allowed" but perhaps not profitable, and it may be more beneficial for me (right now at least) to keep awareness of those kinds of things and avoid them.

I've been trying.

Upvote 0