Is kissing someone one is not married to impure?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the line is pretty well drawn, and it's even consistent in secular society all over the world where kissing is done.

Daughters kiss their fathers and sons kiss their mothers with closed lips, no open mouth kissing, everywhere that kissing is done. Everywhere kissing is done, it's absolutely recognized that joining saliva is a line, and that crossing that line is significant.

No, it is not "absolutely recognized." Methods of sharing affection vary depending on the culture.

But here as Christians, it's up for debate?

There is nothing in Scripture that indicates that kissing is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not "absolutely recognized." Methods of sharing affection vary depending on the culture.

Yes, it is. There is no country in which kissing occurs that open-mouth kissing is not recognized as erotically intimate.

There is nothing in Scripture that indicates that kissing is wrong.

But there is scripture that indicates erotic intimacy between people who are not husband and wife is wrong.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it is. There is no country in which kissing occurs that open-mouth kissing is not recognized as erotically intimate.

Proof of this please? In some places where kissing is practiced an open-mouthed kiss is viewed as repulsive because if the exchange of bodily fluids but I don't think that it is universally recognized as erotically intimate.

But there is scripture that indicates erotic intimacy between people who are not husband and wife is wrong.

And exactly where does Scripture say that an open-mouthed kiss is erotically intimate?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof of this please? In some places where kissing is practiced an open-mouthed kiss is viewed as repulsive because if the exchange of bodily fluids but I don't think that it is universally recognized as erotically intimate.

Where is that place you speak of? I suspect that "repulsiveness" is about on part with the repulsiveness with some people view a great many erotically intimate acts ("Ew, how gross!" But check their inappropriate content). It proves my point that every place draws a line between a peck on the cheek and an open mouth kiss.

And exactly where does Scripture say that an open-mouthed kiss is erotically intimate?

Surely you're not falling back to that refuge of the most immature Christian? "Were in the bible does it say...?"

Really? You're that dependent on legalism?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But younger unwed people kissing for fun, do people think that is impure? In the end that marry someone else.

Any exchange of body fluids transfer disease to you and your loved ones.
If you want to gamble with your health, it's up to you and your spouse.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I believe the Bible has to specifically say that french kissing is wrong in order for it to be wrong. For we will be judged by God's Word. I don't believe french kissing is a new thing that would be a foreign concept to the Bible. I think if it was a big problem today, it would have been a big problem back then (Whereby it would warn against it). I think it is up to the individual. Somebody may not be strong enough to resist the other person in thinking sexually about them (or even to have sex itself) if they were to french kiss. Others can french kiss and while they may enjoy it, they may not necessarily want to go any farther than kissing and hugging (Because they see sex as having a blessing for each of them in waiting). Yes, there is a danger in french kissing. The safer play is to not do so if both couples can resist in doing so and they can both still feel attracted to each other before marriage. But I think french kissing a person lets you know if you are truly attracted to them or not. Surely if a person does not like to french kiss would be a deal breaker for some people. Imagine if your partner said they liked to french kiss, but then when you married them, they said they don't like it. I would find that very difficult. Imagine if you dated your soul mate for 5-7 years and she lived outside the country and you soon planned to marry. Could you really not kiss her if you traveled so long and waited so many months to see her every two or three times a year? For me, that would be weird and hard for me. There is a level of intimacy in french kissing that is just a normal part of being intimate with a woman. But french kissing is not the same as sex. If you believe you would instantly go to home base by french kissing just one time, then I would advise against french kissing. This means, that if you condemn french kissing, chances are you are this type of individual. But I believe discipline and strength are traits that we should build as Christians, though. But again, this is up to you. I don't think there is any rule in the Bible against french kissing. When I dated before I was married, french kissing would let me know if I was truly attracted to them or not. Do I feel the "spark" that this is the woman of my dreams when I kiss them and when I talk with them about the things of God? Is there a connection?

Upvote 0