Is kissing someone one is not married to impure?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,503.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Is kissing someone one is not married to impure? I am sure a person who is married kissing someone else who is married to someone else obviously is not right and is impure. Not just on the cheek.

But younger unwed people kissing for fun, do people think that is impure? In the end that marry someone else.

Ps Randy Clark boasted that his son never kissed before marriage. At least not someone else. He said he kept purity.

Kissing matters in my opinion.

If we look back at Cole Porter, his music was romantic and not in contrast to love and beauty. But the gradual change in culture from those times to now, with the sex scenes... is a gradual change that has gone from warm to too hot over 80 years. So I have to be careful even just of Cole's music. And Like A Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Now we have to deal with net inappropriate content and MTV.

We as Christians mustn't accept any impurity or uncleanness. If we cling on to a little at church, we don't go forward to receive Christ, we don't repent and are not born again. Western Christianity due to pleasure loving is in decline but on the rise in South America, India, China, South Africa and Africa.

What do other Christians think?

Last edited:

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What will matter on Judgment Day is what was in your heart and what effects you believed it would have. However, what was in your heart is not so easily understood. Consider that if you had heard that it was a sin, you are still accountable for how you handled hearing that and its effects. Consider that you might have "sort of" thought it was unwise. Might it affect how easy or hard future sin will be?

Due to the potential for it to be harmful, some make the choice they believe is safest. Intentionally behaving unwisely is a sin (e.g., with a rebellious spirit or turning away from examining the truth more closely). Sometimes, especially when it is complicated, it helps to think of an issue in terms of your relationship with God. Is it going to help or harm your relationship with God? How will it affect other people's beliefs about God or their relationship with him?

Sexual sin is uniquely powerful and it is wise to remember that. (We are to flee sexual sin, but resist other kinds of sin.)

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear GoldenKingGaze. Kissing is quite accepted today, on hand or cheek, and to kiss on the mouth is the exception.
I would say that to kiss on the mouth is more meaningful,
and the thought behind it counts. In some cases it could be innocent, like when elderly people kiss each other, and want to show their love or like. God always knows our thoughts, and God can tell. In God`s eyes it is not acceptable, and we are committing a sin, if the thoughts are not right. We will always have consequences, and we have a loving God.
I say this with love, GoldenKingGaze. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we talking about open-mouth kissing here?

Besides the fact that you're sharing diseases, I can't imagine an open-mouth kiss not being accompanied by commensurate thoughts, and it's the thoughts that will be pure or impure.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What is the ideal history leading up to marriage in this regard?
the ideal is to treat every woman with respect, as though she were your sister or your mother until you are married.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I see nothing impure about kissing.
it is a gateway to sharing the body.

so if a man wouldn't do it to his mother or his sister, then he has no business doing it to a woman before marriage, wherein he promises to 'worship her with his body" in the marriage ceremony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
it is a gateway to sharing the body.

so if a man wouldn't do it to his mother or his sister, then he has no business doing it to a woman before marriage, wherein he promises to 'worship her with his body" in the marriage ceremony.
Then isn't serving someone food a gateway to gluttony? Yet I've had friends over for dinner and none have become gluttons because of what I served them. Likewise using your reasoning serving someone a beer or a glass of wine is a gayeway to alcoholism. Yet I've provided beer and drink to many people without any abuse. Kissing someone is a gateway to sharing their body only if both parties permit it to be so.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm with those who think there is nothing impure about kissing.

"What do you get when you kiss a guy?
"You get enough germs to catch pneumonia...
"...then after you do, he'll never phone ya."

• Informative
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"What do you get when you kiss a guy?
"You get enough germs to catch pneumonia...
"...then after you do, he'll never phone ya."
Using that reasoning you shouldn't kiss anyone including a spouse, child, sibling or parent.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Using that reasoning you shouldn't kiss anyone including a spouse, child, sibling or parent.

Not at all.

A. We already have a permanent emotional relationship.

B. I've already been sharing germs with them in a variety of ways.

C. They'll phone me.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the thought piece is the important part here.

I think for some people, they can cross the line of lust or impure thoughts without the physical act. I don't think kissing is impure, I'd actually say that it's an important step in figuring out the chemistry between two people. I personally wouldn't want to marry someone only to find out that the physical chemistry is lacking.

I'd argue that it's really hard to draw the line at kissing for a non-arbitrary reason. I think most arguments against kissing would also apply to other actions, such as hugging or even hand holding, or really anything else. If it is the thoughts or intentions, let God be the judge of those because it's not our place or capacity to judge that in others.

The question of 'how far is too far' reflects a different view than I think we're supposed to have. It reflects a legalistic approach to a qualitative aspect of our lives. It tries to riddle out what we can get away with, which I think entirely misses the point of questions about purity or anything else.

There is a heck of a lot of difference between a hug (especially a "church hug") and an open-mouth kiss.

There's a heck of a lot of difference between an open mouth kiss and an "air kiss."

It's disingenuous to pretend there isn't a difference.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RDKirk,

I get that there is a difference, but how do we define that difference? Is it the same for everyone?

I think the line is pretty well drawn, and it's even consistent in secular society all over the world where kissing is done.

Daughters kiss their fathers and sons kiss their mothers with closed lips, no open mouth kissing, everywhere that kissing is done. Everywhere kissing is done, it's absolutely recognized that joining saliva is a line, and that crossing that line is significant.

But here as Christians, it's up for debate?

For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. -- Luke 16

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not at all.

A. We already have a permanent emotional relationship.

But you weren't talking about an emotional bond, you were talking about spreading disease.

B. I've already been sharing germs with them in a variety of ways.

But you share germs with everyone around you in a variety of ways.

Upvote 0